England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was just going to say that the worst group I have ever seen was England’s in the 1990 WC. However, looking at it, it’s more or less identical to this one. 7 goals across all matches, with England topping the group with a 2-1 goal difference. Only one match won in that group as well (England 1-0 Egypt).

3 games in and Southgate while being paid 5m a year, have yet figure out how to put out a balanced team to the field.

One of the positives tonight was Trippier. Thought he was much improved today.

1990 World Cup group F and Euro 2024 Group C exact same results in both groups

IMG-2800.png
IMG-2799.png

God, he's so weak.

The way they (he and some players) have to slip in about what other people think and the "pressure" in every interview speaks to that too.

This England camp is clearly out of steam, he has dragged them down. All that "I might leave" after the WC has done this too, he should have fecked off then. I've said it time and time again, after this job, he's fecked as a manager.

Mainoo changes the midfield. Actually comfortable on the ball and in tight areas.

Palmer I genuinely think might be the most talented English player. Has to start.

3 games in and Southgate while being paid 5m a year, have yet figure out how to put out a balanced team to the field.

So much chopping and changing in qualifiers and friendlies, it’s no wonder the players look like strangers when it matters. How can a manager at this level not see the importance of building up some understanding between players BEFORE a major tournament.

-Saka/Gordon--------------------------Kane----------------------------Palmer
---------------------------Bellingham
---------------------------------------------------------Mainoo
-------------------------------------Rice
Walker-------------------------------------------------------------------------Trent
-----------------------------------Stones-----------------Guehi
----------------------------------------------Pickford

???

Does he have the balls to do this, if Shaw's not back?

We're a singular moment team. He wants one goal out of a bit of brilliance and sit on it. We had 2 decent chances that game and he just needs one. Really really poor

Walker-------------------------------------------------------------------------Trent

???

That's 12 players so probably not.

I think Southgate draws his inspiration from the way Greece played twenty years ago. The problem is that there are other teams who can play a low block system far more effectively than we can as witnessed tonight.

Him starting Gallagher tonight was a fecking appalling decision.

It was obvious to everyone but him that it was a stupid thing to do but Southgate did it anyway.

Still amazed he only took one LB and that one LB is being rushed to get fit.

He not only took one LB, but he failed to have a backup system in place to compensate for if Shaw wasn't available. No 3 ATB. No swapping wings or a diamond midfield. Nope, just sticking a slow/creative passing RB on the left where he can't even use his top trait.
Just shows how out of his depth he is, and how much a few fluke tourney runs saved his tenure.

It was obvious to everyone but him that it was a stupid thing to do but Southgate did it anyway.

I was shocked when Gallagher was first off the bench in that first match. Thought the TAA experiment was stupid, but was convinced that if it wasn't working he'd just slide Kobbie in like normal. Nope

???

That is horrifically formatted for mobile users

Still amazed he only took one LB and that one LB is being rushed to get fit.
To not even have the option to have an overlapping player on the left side unless Shaw returns is just mindnumbingly stupid and a sackable offense by itself. You have 26 players and you can't select a single left footed fullback? He'd be better off playing Saka there especially in a game like this, but he is too much of a coward to not have 5 or 6 behind the ball at all times.

I was shocked when Gallagher was first off the bench in that first match. Thought the TAA experiment was stupid, but was convinced that if it wasn't working he'd just slide Kobbie in like normal. Nope

I should be shocked but I wasn't because it's just what I expect with Southgate.

He doesn't trust creativity. He was pining for Kalvin fecking Phillips the other day, this is just who he is. He's always been overly defensive and cautious but it's now tipped over into him just being straight up cowardly.

I should be shocked but I wasn't because it's just what I expect with Southgate.

He doesn't trust creativity. He was pining for Kalvin fecking Phillips the other day, this is just who he is. He's always been overly defensive and cautious but it's now tipped over into him just being straight up cowardly.
Imagine watching these midfield performances an inability to build any cohesive attack and thinking any version of Kalvin Phillips is what you need. I genuinely think he is the worst manager I have ever seen at a "top" club or national team level.

Arsenal fans are upset with Wrighty for suggesting moving Saka to LB to accommodate Palmer.

Very likely Netherlands in the next round.

They've had better teams but on paper potentially facing Netherlands (R16) and Italy (QF) isn't 'easy' on paper. I think Southgate should go after the tournament even if we win it, but not making the final would be an underachievement given the squad and draw.

Arsenal fans are upset with Wrighty for suggesting moving Saka to LB to accommodate Palmer.

Care less where Saka plays. Make zero difference. If Southgate wants him to play GK then just do it.

Last edited:

While I generally agree, I hope everyone can realise that it was a less stupid thing to do than start TAA in midfield. Either way it's stupid though yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.