England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps England should just embrace the dysfunction and play players from dysfunctional teams like Palmer and Mainoo. If they can perform in their club sides, they can perform anywhere! :lol:

Seriously though, the likes of Foden in particular look lost without the smooth running systems of their club sides.

Perhaps England should just embrace the dysfunction and play players from dysfunctional teams like Palmer and Mainoo. If they can perform in their club sides, they can perform anywhere! :lol:

Seriously though, the likes of Foden in particular look lost without the smooth running systems of their club sides.

And yet Foden has probably been our best attacker over the last two games

Shockingly bad.

Mainoo definitely made a difference on the ball and brought composure in possession. Thought he was good and just needs to be a bit more mobile.

That constant showing for the ball is the one thing he needs to improve in that position. Has a tendency to be a bit static until it comes to him. If he sorts that he’s got the potential to absolutely run these sort of games.

Palmer also an absolute no brainer to bring into the team. Easily our most incisive, creative attacker and makes me even more inclined to move Saka to left back (which is still the most glaring tactical issue in the team).

We should also consider bringing Trent in at right back. The team is so poor and slow in possession and Walker at right back just exacerbates that.. Team is crying out for more technical quality.

Two wins in eight games for England. Surely it’s time to end the misery

Bellingham needs to be dropped. He's completely cooked. Bringing him in around the 60-70th minute could be a win-win situation.

It has been noted that City players seem to be struggling outside of Pep's system but many Madrid players look exhausted and are performing poorly.

As a United fan watching Mainoo out there, it felt like he didn’t know where to be and how to get in the game so I can only imagine how fans of other teams feel watching their players look unrecognisable.

Mainoo is very brave on the ball and plays vertically but that’s forbidden for this England team.

-------------------- Pickford
Walker -- Stones -- Guehi --- Shaw
------------ Mainoo ---- Rice
Saka --------- Bellingham ----- Gordon
---------------------- Kane

for next game?

Possibly Bellingham for Mainoo, Palmer for Bellingham and Trippier for Shaw

Holland, Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Turkey, Czech Rep or Georgia.
All winnable . Holland and Belgium could be nasty though.

I just read that England will avoid Germany, Spain, and Portugal which is good fortune. Someone said France is on the other side of the draw too?

for next game?

Yes but Southgate won’t do that

Absolutely this. :p

for next game?

I would leave Foden in there. Palmer should be in with a shout of starting ahead of Bellingham or Saka in my opinion.

England Holland it probably is then. That will be an entertaining watch :lol:

It'll be like amputees playing rock, paper, scissors.

It's absolutely insane that Southgate doesn't know how to get the best out of these players.

I wouldn't blame any of your players this is totally on the manager - what a bloody waste.

Assuming Shaw still not fit, I am quite keen on the Saka to left back option:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Guehi
Saka

Rice
Mainoo

Palmer
Bellingham
Foden

Kane

for next game?

Bellingham should be dropped instead of Foden

Kane could’ve returned the pass to Mainoo instead of the slow pass out to Palmer. Fancied Mainoo to score if he did.

Definitely was the best option. I don’t mind the pass to Palmer but it became a more difficult chance than it would have been if he just slid it back into Mainoo.

For balance sake Saka has to be LB and Mainoo and Palmer need to start our next game.

Shockingly bad.

Mainoo definitely made a difference on the ball and brought composure in possession. Thought he was good and just needs to be a bit more mobile.

That constant showing for the ball is the one thing he needs to improve in that position. Has a tendency to be a bit static until it comes to him. If he sorts that he’s got the potential to absolutely run these sort of games.

Palmer also an absolute no brainer to bring into the team. Easily our most incisive, creative attacker and makes me even more inclined to move Saka to left back (which is still the most glaring tactical issue in the team).

We should also consider bringing Trent in at right back. The team is so poor and slow in possession and Walker at right back just exacerbates that.. Team is crying out for more technical quality.

Some of that is calculated though. If you constantly chase to show for the ball you drag a marker to you. Sometimes (especially in the Pep influenced era of positional play obsession) it's better to take up a certain position to be available for the second pass, not the first.

Agree TAA should obviously start but I don't think he ever will if Southgate has refused thus far.

Assuming Shaw still not fit, I am quite keen on the Saka to left back option:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Guehi
Saka

Rice
Mainoo

Palmer
Bellingham
Foden

Kane
I would rather start Toney or Waktin ahead of Kane, with Gorden, Foden, Saka or Palmer behind him. Need a left winger stretch the width, and a striker stay in the box!

I think Saka has to go, in a team this ponderous his skillset looks useless as we don't isolate a player. He hasn't taken anyone on. Better off with Palmer's mercurial talent because we are completely relying on individual skill at the moment. He can see a pass, I think he's a bit cuter with his game.

Then I think we either bring Foden inside and bring in Gordon which might be necessary if we lose Saka's pace, or we can consider Mainoo in for Gallagher. Personally I don't really see dropping Bellingham, definitely our best midfielder, we need to get more out of him as shite as he looks, no point moving out our best all round midfielder, refine his role.

Kane is a big question mark. One more game in a different lineup where he's that shite and he's a goner for me but for now I think I'd rather see him in a different lineup. But certainly isn't helping us.

I think we should drop Rice to defence, then we have so much movement in midfield, just freaking go for it:

-----------------Kane

Gordon------------------Palmer

--------Foden------Bellingham

---------------- Mainoo

Saka------Rice------Stones------Walker

I struggle to understand the negativity considering how low the bar was set in the last two games, which were abysmal. Gallagher is an upgrade on TAA in midfield, but he obviously shouldn't have started. Hopefully Southgate has seen enough to know that Mainoo absolutely has to start now. Think we should all be grateful considering we spent the last game being run ragged by fecking Denmark. He is still not the right manager obviously, because any manager worth their salt wouldn't ever start two games with fecking TAA in midfield in an experiment, and instead played the strongest team and built some momentum going into the knockouts. Hopefully he bows to public pressure and plays a decent team this time around, as it's his last fecking chance anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.