England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played very well for Chelsea this season, had a very good 2nd half of the season next to Caicedo.

But he is nowhere near a Wharton or Mainoo in talent levels and ball use.

If Poch was the manager of England it would absolutely make sense. Rice is similar enough to Caicedo for it to work.

But Southgate's England just play so differently and slowly I really think Gallagher is not going to work. We tried it against Brazil too, didn't look great. As everyone (except Southgate) can see, we need a more controlling player in midfield, which could be Mainoo or Wharton. Gallagher works well in a fast paced counter pressing team but I'm skeptical he'll work with the way England is playing.

Because him coming into the team has made such an improvement.....

All this shows is tomorrow he is going for a draw to get through.

Yeah it reeks of that and this kind of negative mindset could well see us end up playing Germany

Saw someone saying Southgate should go to a back 3.

3-4-2-1

Pickford
Walker-Stones-Guehi
Trippier-Rice-Mainoo-Saka
Foden-Jude
Kane

Outside of Saka LWB, don’t think it’s the worst idea

Last edited:
Can't believe I'm saying this one game away from the knockout stage of a major tournament but time to experiment with the midfield again. Gallagher in no way fixes any of the current problems and we are not winning this tournament without a radical shift to the current setup.

I'd like to see Gordon start on the left for obvious reasons at this point - if you're insistent on keeping Foden in then he moves to 10 and Jude has to play as the 6 IMO when we are building from the back, with the ideal he can then push ahead of Rice as we advance up the pitch.

Otherwise have the balls to drop one of the current 3 - probably Foden - and give Wharton the opportunity to fill that role.

Why is it that in every major tournament our team news is leaked the day before the game?

I know Southgate is very predictable anyway. But it seems to happen all the time.

As an insight into Southgate's decision-making process, the Gallacher move does ring alarm bells. In isolation clearly he can offer more energy, pressing and vertical movement than Trent. But that means England have a technically less limited player than Trent (or Wharton or Mainoo) building up play, and then a technically less limited player bursting into the inside-forward areas. In practice what will happen on the pitch is that Gallacher will be moving into the exact zones where Foden, Bellingham or Saka are most dangerous. So instead of resolving the conundrum around how to get the best out of that three, Southgate ends up exacerbating it. It's likely to work in isolation because Gallacher may be able to shift the needle against weaker teams, but strategically it's a really shit move for me.

I reckon we’ll have one of those unconvincing play but good scoreline games against a desperate Slovenia team tonight. We have them every now and then under Southgate. 4-0 including a pen and 2 set pieces. Everyone starts getting hyped even though we were shit and we end up bowing out to the first decent team we face in the KOs

Why is it that in every major tournament our team news is leaked the day before the game?

I know Southgate is very predictable anyway. But it seems to happen all the time.
Must be agents of the players.

I reckon we’ll have one of those unconvincing play but good scoreline games against a desperate Slovenia team tonight. We have them every now and then under Southgate. 4-0 including a pen and 2 set pieces. Everyone starts getting hyped even though we were shit and we end up bowing out to the first decent team we face in the KOs
Sounds about right.

is the case for a lot of teams

I didn't watch much of the pre-Euro friendlies or qualifiers but did TAA play in midfield before or did Southgate decide to use the group games for a new experiment?

Wharton > Mainoo

Not due to intrinsic talent , but compare:

"Adam , just go out there and do what you do for Palace"

"Kobe sit down. now, imagine you were playing in functioning midfield....."

Last edited:
I didn't watch much of the pre-Euro friendlies or qualifiers but did TAA play in midfield before or did Southgate decide to use the group games for a new experiment?

He played there in both qualifiers against Malta and both against Macedonia (one of which we somehow drew) which is obviously perfect preparation and would have definitely highlighted any flaws in his game in midfield.

Wouldn’t stand a chance of progressing far into the tournament on the other side of the draw, so winning and topping the group is crucial.

Quote this when Gallagher is subbed off after 60-70 mins… with Alexander-Arnold coming on in his place.

France, Spain, Germany and Portugal in the top bracket.

England must win this group!!!

Wharton > Mainoo

Not due to intrinsic talent , but compare:

"Adam , just go out there and do what you do for Palace"

"Kobe sit down. now, imagine you were playing in functioning midfield....."

Mainoo just bossed the cup final v City and his team won a trophy.

Let us know when Palace next win something… anything…

It's wild that England's half of the draw will have .... Italy, and nobody else from the best sides on paper.

Edit: Netherlands in round of 16 is alright I guess. But the semi final route is weak as hell compared to the other side.

Southgate is so incredibly predictable and bland.

I'd have gone for Mainoo or Wharton and Eze or Gordon. More dynamism in the team. Say to Foden you're still in my thinking but you need to come off the bench and show me something.

Instead he brings in a midfield clogger and leaves that horrendous imbalance that the Foden/Trippier axis brings. Not bringing a natural left footer for the full back position aside from Shaw was criminal.

Again, Foden can in fact play on the left. It's not ideal and within England's setup doesn't get the best out of him, but he can do it. If he really doesn't want to drop him, just have him stay wide. Or swap him and Bellingham around. Bellingham can also play on the left. Again, far from ideal, but a possibility

As for Gallagher....honestly, I can kind of see the rationale - the team lacks fitness and energy, so throw in the guy who is fit and has boundless energy - except, well, it's just stupid. But then again it's a summer tournament, the other team is also knackered so one guy with boundless energy really might make a difference...we'll see I guess

I get that for England fans that is depressing though. Bracket is breaking out in such a way that the team might make the final even with Southgate's fumbling, and then it's just one game, a bit of luck and they could win. But yeah, going out without trying any of the more obvious tweaks(Gordon/Watkins on the left, Mainoo/Wharton in midfield, Palmer) would be depressing

Again, Foden can in fact play on the left. It's not ideal and within England's setup doesn't get the best out of him, but he can do it. If he really doesn't want to drop him, just have him stay wide. Or swap him and Bellingham around. Bellingham can also play on the left. Again, far from ideal, but a possibility

As for Gallagher....honestly, I can kind of see the rationale - the team lacks fitness and energy, so throw in the guy who is fit and has boundless energy - except, well, it's just stupid. But then again it's a summer tournament, the other team is also knackered so one guy with boundless energy really might make a difference...we'll see I guess

I get that for England fans that is depressing though. Bracket is breaking out in such a way that the team might make the final even with Southgate's fumbling, and then it's just one game, a bit of luck and they could win. But yeah, going out without trying any of the more obvious tweaks(Gordon/Watkins on the left, Mainoo/Wharton in midfield, Palmer) would be depressing

Yes indeed. But what is really stupid is selecting just one left footed wing back and yet Shaw has apparently not yet even been training.

Yes indeed. But what is really stupid is selecting just one left footed wing back and yet Shaw has apparently not yet even been training.
Yes. The one thing an international manager must not do is get the call ups wrong, and it looks like he has this time

Yes. The one thing an international manager must not do is get the call ups wrong, and it looks like he has this time
It doesn't matter. As long as Southgate is the manager it really doesn't matter who starts or what the tactic is. The football is exactly the same.

If new ownership watches this and somehow thinks Southgate is a good manager they've lost all goodwill they may have

It doesn't matter. As long as Southgate is the manager it really doesn't matter who starts or what the tactic is. The football is exactly the same.
It isn't though. England might have played ugly football in previous tournaments, but it was a well coached side, cohesive, with clear ideas about what they wanted to do and how to do it, and they did it well. They made a Euro final conceding 1 real chance the whole way, and in Qatar they played France dead even.

This, is a mess

Walker very rarely ventures forward, and when he does, he doesn't do much with the ball

Gallagher has offered nothing again today.

You only can hate Southgate for such decision.

It really is amazing how southgate thinks, nearly everyone can see the issue with our attack lacking balance and penetrative when saka is the only one that stretches the play and has the potential to get behind the defence but he is not an inside forward.

We are wasting both kane and foden in this set up, kane needs a player like son to link up with and the most suitable one would be Watkins in a 2 up front partnership or Gordon on the left.

It is just absolutely nuts that gallacher has featured in every match but Gordon, palmer, wharton or mainoo have not been given a sniff

Coming to the realisation that I've overrated Kyle Walker a fair bit as a right back due to how good his club is. He's sound defensively, but offensively and technically in general, he's decidedly average

Not sure why Saka is always the one to come off. He's the other one who can beat players

Status
Not open for further replies.