England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Deschamps going to play Camavinga as a LB then?
Well yes, he has in fact played Camavinga at LB in the last world cup. That's where Ancelotti figured he could do it too

Just because Madrid does something for a year to accommodate stars on their last year does t mean you change the profile of a player forever. Madrid will be bringing in Wirtz next year. Kroos and maybe modtic leaving …let’s see if they keep playing Jude where they are.
Why the feck would we take our world class, game winning attacking midfielder, and move him into a role in which he's significantly worse and not a game winner? If we do sign Wirtz, he's the one we'll try and drop deeper. We won't do it though, because it doesn't make sense

But Jude used to play as a central midfielder for Dortmund and his entire life leading up to Dortmund. He has all the tools to do it, and to imply he doesn’t know how seems odd.

Does he not WANT to? That’s a possibility, but a Bellingham Rice midfield center should not be weak
It's not weak but it also doesn't fix england's problems because....
Jude’s a really skilled ball carrier.

Rice is a high energy presser with good defensive instincts.

Neither have a key attribute that all the best midfields have. Tempo setting, metronomic , progressive passing.

And as such for me, will get found out pretty quickly against top opposition.
This

I have a conspiracy theory about Shaw….

Taking only one left footed full back with a long term injury is beyond explanation.

Unless you are going to use it as a justification to play an even more defensive formation when he inevitably doesn’t find fitness.

I fully expect 3421 to make an appearance shortly. Something like:

——————Pickford——————
——Walker—Stones—Guehi——
TAA——Mainoo—Rice——Saka
———Foden—Bellingham———
———————Kane———————

Tbh… with Shaw out it is probs now our best option, unless you are gonna risk Saka at LB, which Southgate won’t do in a million years. And we aren’t winning anything with Trippier or any of the CBs on the bench at LB.
I like this. I also think you massively overestimate Southgate if you think that’ll happen under his watch.

Much better than everything we have seen. Especially Foden and TAA in more natural positions should result in an improvement.

I know we're biased but I really think Mainoo is world class and Southgate is too reactionary and football stupid to notice. That team is good enough to go all the way.

I know we're biased but I really think Mainoo is world class and Southgate is too reactionary and football stupid to notice. That team is good enough to go all the way.
No matter how you rate him, he undoubtedly is a true CM and knows how to play that position. That should guarantee a huge improvement over TAA in that position.

The depressing thing as an England fan is how often we simply fail to win big games unless we're playing a naff team.

France in the last World Cup were definitely in the top bracket, and we lost.

In the last Euros, I'd probably group Germany and Italy in with Denmark in that tier below, given Germany failed to get out of their groups in the World Cups either side, and Italy didn't even qualify for them. The Germany win was nice, but we ended up limping past Denmark and threw away the lead against Italy.

In the World Cup before, Colombia and Croatia were in that tier below the top, and we again limped past Colombia and threw away the lead against Croatia.

We couldn't even beat Netherlands in the first Nations League.

I actually think we were just shit between 2008 and 2016. Some of the players in the squad were awful, but were essentially the best we had.

Then there's the last 'golden generation':

2006 World Cup was a cagey win against Ecuador and then we lost to Portugal.

Euro 2004, lost to Portugal.

2002 World Cup, beat a poor Denmark then lost to Brazil.

If the FA had appointed Clough we would certainly have had at least another World Cup title.

That for me said everything about the goals of the FA

I would probably say the most "Spurs" thing about the current England team is their Manager (and to be fair I don't even think he's good enough to be the Spurs manager).

Taking only one left footed full back with a long term injury is beyond explanation.

Unless you are going to use it as a justification to play an even more defensive formation when he inevitably doesn’t find fitness.

——————Pickford——————
——Walker—Stones—Guehi——
TAA——Mainoo—Rice——Saka
———Foden—Bellingham———
———————Kane———————

Tbh… with Shaw out it is probs now our best option, unless you are gonna risk Saka at LB, which Southgate won’t do in a million years. And we aren’t winning anything with Trippier or any of the CBs on the bench at LB.

That looks pretty good , the shaw brain fart seems to have completely kyboshed any hope of a balanced back 4 .

Would Watkins work in your formation? Or is Kane the best fit for it ?

Much better than everything we have seen. Especially Foden and TAA in more natural positions should result in an improvement.
That looks pretty good , the shaw brain fart seems to have completely kyboshed any hope of a balanced back 4 .

Would Watkins work in your formation? Or is Kane the best fit for it ?

Yeh to be fair, he probably works better than Kane… that was more a prediction of what I think he might do if he did go 3 at the back, to show horn all the “names” into the side.

But for me I really struggle to see a team that functions well with Foden, Kane and Bellingham in it… and you can throw palmer into that too.

They all want to occupy the same space.

Kane works best with runners. It’s why he has always looked at his best for England with rashford and Saka either side of him, so he can drop in the hole, and they break the line. The formation I suggested really wants a 9 who plays on the shoulder like Watkins.

Foden, Bellingham and Palmer all also want to operate in the same part of the pitch.

For me, there is probably only room for maximum 2 of that 4 in the side at anyone time.

I would probably say the most "Spurs" thing about the current England team is their Manager (and to be fair I don't even think he's good enough to be the Spurs manager).

The most "Spurs" thing about Southgate's England was finding themselves up against Croatia in a World Cup semi-final and the weakest Italy side in years (if not decades) in the Euros final, and somehow conspiring to lose both.

It absolutely screams of "in a title race with Leicester City and ended up finishing third".

——————Pickford——————
——Walker—Stones—Guehi——
TAA——Mainoo—Rice——Saka
———Foden—Bellingham———
———————Kane———————

Why is this "a more defensive formation"? The only difference in players is Mainoo for Trippier. And then you move players around, Saka on the left, Foden on the right.

Actually, Spurs have won something more recently than England. It is not like England has a winning heritage*.

*TM Jose

Actually, Spurs have won something more recently than England. It is not like England has a winning heritage*.

*TM Jose

You don't know what your talking about.
sQ5q3JI.jpeg

Why is this "a more defensive formation"? The only difference in players is Mainoo for Trippier. And then you move players around, Saka on the left, Foden on the right.

It doesn’t have to be, it depends how it is deployed.

If a proper modern, attacking coach deployed that set up, it would be more like a 3241, with the wingbacks playing like wingers, and the whole team pressing high up the pitch off the ball.

But we are taking about Gareth Southgate here… so think of it much more like a deep 541 spending 80% of the game in our defensive third.

It doesn’t have to be, it depends how it is deployed.

If a proper modern, attacking coach deployed that set up, it would be more like a 3241, with the wingbacks playing like wingers, and the whole team pressing high up the pitch off the ball.

But we are taking about Gareth Southgate here… so think of it much more like a deep 541 spending 80% of the game in our defensive third.
First of all i have posted this line-up just two days ago but no one here has cared about that :lol::(

But whatever this 3-6-1 formation would be perfect for the current squad because....

- There is no fit left-back.

- Kane wouldn't need to drop so deep in the midfield.

- Bellingham and Foden could play in their best positions......the same for Palmer and Eze.

- Alexander-Arnold could play in his best position.....he could drop deeper if Walker is in a attacking position.

- Stones could drop in the midfield if the team has the ball for a longer time.

- The left-wing position is of course problematic but Saka has played this position in his youth.....Gordon could also work for 70 minutes because the runs so much and then you can bring on Trippier to defend a possible lead.

If Guardiola would be the coach then even this line-up could work against most sides.

---------------------------------------Pickford
--------Walker---------------------Stones--------------------Guehi
--------------------Bellingham---------------------Rice
TAA‐----------------------------------------------------------------Saka
---‐-------------------Palmer-----------------------Foden
------------------------------------------Kane

First of all i have posted this line-up just two days ago but no one here has cared about that :lol::(

But whatever this 3-6-1 formation would be perfect for the current squad because....

- There is no fit left-back.

- Kane wouldn't need to drop so deep in the midfield.

- Bellingham and Foden could play in their best positions......the same for Palmer and Eze.

- Alexander-Arnold could play in his best position.....he could drop deeper if Walker is in a attacking position.

- Stones could drop in the midfield if the team has the ball for a longer time.

- The left-wing position is of course problematic but Saka has played this position in his youth.....Gordon could also work for 70 minutes because the runs so much and then you can bring on Trippier to defend a possible lead.

If Guardiola would be the coach then even this line-up could work against most sides.

---------------------------------------Pickford
--------Walker---------------------Stones--------------------Guehi
--------------------Bellingham---------------------Rice
TAA‐----------------------------------------------------------------Saka
---‐-------------------Palmer-----------------------Foden
------------------------------------------Kane

Haha, sorry, stole your lineup!

I get the compulsion to try and squeeze Foden, Palmer, Bellingham, and Kane all into the same team, but for me it just wouldnt work.

All of them have a natural instinct to take up similar positions on the pitch.

Also think the lack of a Wharton or Mainoo is as detrimental to the team as anything else, as they are the only two players who get the ball forward quickly.

Have also just seen that Wharton was sent out for press earlier, and all the big papers have just printed stories on how he is “the answer”

Sounds like it’s being fed intentionally to get fans comfortable with the idea.

I expect him to start on Tuesday.

Haha, sorry, stole your lineup!

I get the compulsion to try and squeeze Foden, Palmer, Bellingham, and Kane all into the same team, but for me it just wouldnt work.

All of them have a natural instinct to take up similar positions on the pitch.

Also think the lack of a Wharton or Mainoo is as detrimental to the team as anything else, as they are the only two players who get the ball forward quickly.

Have also just seen that Wharton was sent out for press earlier, and all the big papers have just printed stories on how he is “the answer”

Sounds like it’s being fed intentionally to get fans comfortable with the idea.

I expect him to start on Tuesday.
If 4-2-3-1 is still the formation then yep only Wharton or Mainoo are the answers as replacements for TAA.

Another bad performance and Southgate is in big trouble.

Jude’s a really skilled ball carrier.

Rice is a high energy presser with good defensive instincts.

Neither have a key attribute that all the best midfields have. Tempo setting, metronomic , progressive passing.

And as such for me, will get found out pretty quickly against top opposition.
Well said, it’s the same reason Brazil have been crashing out for 20 years. As crap as south gate is, this is also a talent pool problem.

choosing Saka to play as a left wing-back , no thanks, he's terrible in that position

Southgate should pick 1-1-9 ( 9 in any formation you like)....Pickford as a (1); Rice (as a 4)... and 9 others (picked by social media votes).

You may laugh... but that is exactly what will happen!!

It's even better when you look at HOW england keeps losing

Since 1990 - penalty shootout, penalty shootout, Ronaldinho fluke goal, penalty shootout(+wrongly disallowed goal+rooney injury), penalty shootout, Lampard phantom goal, penalty shootout, Kane DOUBLE POST, penalty shootout, TCHOUAMENI 30 yard screamer+Kane missed penalty

I'm convinced english fans scapegoat the managers as a coping mechanism because if they accepted the reality that the universe simply fecking hates england they'd go mad

Not quite, actually:

1990 - Germany played better and deserved to go through.
1992 - Finished last in the group.
1994 - Missed the World Cup.
1996 - Lost to Germany on penalties at home.
1998 - Lost to Argentina on penalties.
2000 - Failed in the group stages against Portugal and Romania.
2002 - Deservedly lost to Brazil in the quarterfinals.
2004 - Choked against France in the group stage, then lost to Portugal in the quarters.
2006 - Lost to Portugal in the quarters.
2008 - Didn't qualify.
2010 - Thrashed by Germany 4-1.
2012 - Lost to Italy on penalties.
2014 - Finished last in the group to Costa Rica and Uruguay.
2016 - Second to Wales in the group, then lost to Iceland in the knockouts.
2018 - Blew a lead against Croatia.
2021 - Lost to Italy at home on penalties after an early lead.
2022 - Lost to France.
2024 - It's coming home

On balance, England can't really complain much. They fight hard but usually get outclassed by a team with more talent or composure in penalty shootouts.

I don't understand those who see Mainoo as the panacea to England's problems in midfield. He is a very tidy player, but he's not a ball-winner and needs Rice and someone else to do the harrying.

That said, I'm surprised Southgate hasn't played Palmer and Gordon at all when Kane, Foden, and Saka have looked out of ideas.

Have no fear England fans, your savior has arrived:

Prince William gave the England team a pep talk immediately after Thursday's 1-1 draw with Denmark in Frankfurt.

The Prince of Wales, who is also the president of the Football Association, visited the dressing room after the final whistle and told the players "it's not the end of the world," after the team was booed off by disgruntled England fans at Deutsche Bank Park.

Why the feck is a royal the president of the FA btw?

Kane with Palmer has looked the best even though both should've scored. Some brilliant link up play between them so I'd really like to see Palmer on at least, he is so creative and usually good in front of goal too.

Kane with Palmer has looked the best even though both should've scored. Some brilliant link up play between them so I'd really like to see Palmer on at least, he is so creative and usually good in front of goal too.
Southgate pragmatic manager always. He don't want to play free scoring game. This approach helped him most times. He won't change his methods. Palmer will come to the team only if england trailed.

Have no fear England fans, your savior has arrived:

Prince William gave the England team a pep talk immediately after Thursday's 1-1 draw with Denmark in Frankfurt.

The Prince of Wales, who is also the president of the Football Association, visited the dressing room after the final whistle and told the players "it's not the end of the world," after the team was booed off by disgruntled England fans at Deutsche Bank Park.

Why the feck is a royal the president of the FA btw?
Because those are jobs for the boys type of positions.

Not quite, actually:

1990 - Germany played better and deserved to go through.
1992 - Finished last in the group.
1994 - Missed the World Cup.
1996 - Lost to Germany on penalties at home.
1998 - Lost to Argentina on penalties.
2000 - Failed in the group stages against Portugal and Romania.
2002 - Deservedly lost to Brazil in the quarterfinals.
2004 - Choked against France in the group stage, then lost to Portugal in the quarters.
2006 - Lost to Portugal in the quarters.
2008 - Didn't qualify.
2010 - Thrashed by Germany 4-1.
2012 - Lost to Italy on penalties.
2014 - Finished last in the group to Costa Rica and Uruguay.
2016 - Second to Wales in the group, then lost to Iceland in the knockouts.
2018 - Blew a lead against Croatia.
2021 - Lost to Italy at home on penalties after an early lead.
2022 - Lost to France.
2024 - It's coming home

On balance, England can't really complain much. They fight hard but usually get outclassed by a team with more talent or composure in penalty shootouts.

Yeah we were generally outplayed whenever we've gone out. Can't think of a time really where we deserved to get through and didn't.

I would say though, that in 2010 we could have had a chance. If Lampard's goal had been given it would have been 2-2 and we wouldn't have had to chase the game like we did. We did very well to get back in the game and momentum would have been with us.

Still would probably have lost, but the game could have gone differently

choosing Saka to play as a left wing-back , no thanks, he's terrible in that position

I agree playing Saka as left-back is a ridiculously terrible idea, but I don't think he has ever played in that position, at least for Arsenal. It's still a horrible idea just to try to cram Foden, Bellingham and Kane on the pitch in a wonky formation. Just bench Foden imo

I agree playing Saka as left-back is a ridiculously terrible idea, but I don't think he has ever played in that position, at least for Arsenal. It's still a horrible idea just to try to cram Foden, Bellingham and Kane on the pitch in a wonky formation. Just bench Foden imo

That was his original position. Granted it was not natural, but he did well enough. Then again he couldn't do worse than Kolasinac.

Yeah we were generally outplayed whenever we've gone out. Can't think of a time really where we deserved to get through and didn't.

I would say though, that in 2010 we could have had a chance. If Lampard's goal had been given it would have been 2-2 and we wouldn't have had to chase the game like we did. We did very well to get back in the game and momentum would have been with us.

I've never understood that opinion or talk of a ghost goal to be honest. I thought the Germans were toying with you most of the match and 4-1 was a fair reflection. There were better teams than them in the tournament too. It would have been painful to watch your midfield against Spain.

We definitely had momentum in a few of those games like Germany in 96, Brazil in 02 and Portugal in 04. Unfortunately a combination of a freak shot, narrow miss and disallowed goal saw things turn against us.

The bottom line is we haven’t won anything as a nation for a long, long time and a lot of these players were part of that as well and they know how tough it is

Here is a safe prediction: when England crash out of this against the first good side they play, you'll see reports of the FA trying to convince Southgate to stay on to the next WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.