England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Rice is only a key player for one of the best club teams in the world right now and Bellingham only won Player of the Season in Germany as part of a double pivot and is knocking on the door of being a Ballon d'Or candidate now. No quality whatsoever...

It's international football. A Bellingham - Rice - Mainoo midfield has more quality than all the midfields in the tournament bar three or four, and none of those few teams are in England's group. The issue isn't Mainoo's lack of experience. It's that Southgate is too much of a clueless wanker to understand how to play to the strengths of his squad.

/thread
Honestly that's it. You summed up the situation perfectly.

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi Trippier
Rice
Foden Bellingham
Saka Kane Watkins​

That’s what I would be going with personally. The only time I recall Foden playing deep for England he played brilliantly.. I don’t know why that experiment never came to anything? Why he never took Rashford is beyond me.. I get he’s been crap for United but we really don’t have another player like him off the left.

Only other thing I can think of is playing Saka LW and Palmer off the right. Yes you lose the main Saka threat but the team as a whole is more balanced and Palmer has been on fire this season.

I see you failed to either read or comprehend the last part of my post. Not surprised.

A competent manager gets an easy nine points in this group.
It is not always on managers. You need players to perform. Southgate does some wierd tactical decisions but as a player, you still should perform better than what players do right now. Media, pundits and some fans should stop overrating players.

The clamour for Gordon now shows what a disastrous decision it was not to take Rashford, it’s obvious Kane needs a Son
I think quite a few have wanted Gordon to start from the very start to be fair. Given his season, I just don't think we can look at the Rashford decision with much regret. If we take him and he's terrible then Southgate gets criticised for taking a player who is horribly out of form. I do think Southgate should have taken another right footed left wing option, but him and Grealish can't have many complaints.

I have a similar feeling with Chilwell, Colwill or Mitchell too. They first two would have been fortunate to make the squad, but given Shaw's injury status I think we should have brought a left back or at the very least a left footed CB capable of playing LB.

It really is hard to understand how such a bunch of top class footballers can play so dire. Should have probably taken Grealish and Rashford with them.

If England win, they'll finish first.
If England draw and Denmark win, England finish 2nd and would play Germany
If England lose and Denmark win, England would be 3rd but I'd guess they'd be one of them best 3rd placed teams and would go through

That's what I've worked out, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

It really is hard to understand how such a bunch of top class footballers can play so dire. Should have probably taken Grealish and Rashford with them.
Why would he have taken Rashford, after his season?

All he needs to do is play Gordon so we actually get balance. Either take off Foden (super sub for Bellingham) or play Foden in the 10 and move Bellingham back to 8.

He also needs to play better subs. Must have been soul destroying for Gordon, Palmer Mainoo etc to see the likes of Gallagher and Bowen going on - especially with what he said about struggling to replace Philips.

Southgate has stayed one tournament too far, the poor passing is because players are scared of taking any risks under him

It is not always on managers. You need players to perform.
And whose job is it exactly to make sure the players perform?

The players can only do so much. It's painfully obvious that they haven't got a clue what they're supposed to do. They're running into each other's space, they don't know where their team mates are running off the ball, they're not making themselves available for passes. That's down to a complete lack of coaching. When you've got players that excel in a system for their club teams looking completely lost for England it's not because the player is incapable of playing football. It's the manager that hasn't shown them what he wants from them. No matter the quality of the team, you can only get so far with 11 players basically improvising on their own against any half-decent team that actually plays as a cohesive unit.

Biggest mistake was leaving Rashford at home. That one I don't get. Your best team over the last year was Rashford-Jude-Saka behind Kane. I get he's had a poor season and Foden and Palmer have been great and you have to try them out, but still, at least leave yourself the option of a go-to lineup you know would work

Midfield and LB, I dunno. Aside from Mainoo and Wharton, who else is there that's been ignored? The latter two are both really young and weren't really an option until March, so, it's kinda understandable the manager may not fully trust them(he doesn't have a choice anymore though at this point. Surely) - though instisting with Trent was an abomination after the Serbia game made it patently clear that he can't start there. He hasn't got a clue. When he inverts for Liverpool it's usually after they've consolidated possession, so he doesn't receive the ball on the turn under pressure, and then the knows how to fit within their play. He's in there for his passing and yet was consistently ahead of the ball in these games, how does that make sense...

I digress. Point is midfield has indeed been a problem for England over the last year - that the options that should fix it are an 18 and a 20 year old with a season or less of top flight experience is proof of that, no matter how good you think they are - and I'm not sure Southgate actually could do much more about it going into the euros

LB, I see people mentioning a couple names so maybe that was an area where more could have been done. Dunno.

I think he should've just called and then played Rashford, would have gone a long way to fix a lot of the issues. That said I also think England is overrated quite a bit. Exceptional players but the best don't really fit particularly well together. A strong defence and relying on one of those attacking players to find a goal is probably your best option. Kinda like France. I don't think England have the players to play like Spain or Germany
We have watched Rashford all season; he‘s on vacation for good reason. Gordon, Palmer and Bowen were much better this season.

Rashford is acting like an entitled twat.

We literally do, people can't see that because they confuse bad management with bad players. Only 3 teams have better squads which is why Ten Hag should be thrown to the wolves.
At best we had the 5th best squad. Personally I think Spurs and Chelsea have better.

But he didn‘t have the squad most of the season did he? Are Evans and Casemiro the fourth best cb pairing in the league? Or Lindelof and Kambwala?

Wrong thread btw.

Left footed,has history playing in a fullback role and for general team balance.

But he hasn't played there for how long now? He's also arguably the best and most important player for England. It's like moving Gareth Bale back to left back, after he's had multiple world class seasons as a right winger.

I think Shaw is going to be available for the knockout stage anyway, so it's just one more game left with Trippier.

I think it would be a much better idea to finally put Foden on the bench and put the obvious solution in Gordon on the left wing instead of him. Then a double pivot of Rice and either Mainoo or Wharton in midfield.

Pickford - Walker Stones Guehi Trippier - Rice Mainoo/Wharton - Gordon Bellingham Saka - Kane.

I think this the XI that needs to be given a go. Or if you don't want Gordon on the left, put Saka there and Palmer takes the right wing, although that's less ideal than both wingers in their most comfortable positions.

Pickford
Rice
Foden Bellingham
Saka Kane Watkins​

That’s what I would be going with personally. The only time I recall Foden playing deep for England he played brilliantly.. I don’t know why that experiment never came to anything? Why he never took Rashford is beyond me.. I get he’s been crap for United but we really don’t have another player like him off the left.

Only other thing I can think of is playing Saka LW and Palmer off the right. Yes you lose the main Saka threat but the team as a whole is more balanced and Palmer has been on fire this season.

The problem we might find with this is that neither Foden or Bellingham are likely to get back enough to cover Rice, who isnt the greatest in there. The big fear is that a team like Germany for example could exploit that space around Rice. In fact we saw it yesterday in the Denmark goal, that massive hole was because of dire play, but its what Iceland exposed too. Bellingham could be put in the 8 position, but good teams will wait for him to come forwards and then try and expose him behind.

Mainoo isn't too young or inexperienced to be able to play well in this tournament, if you look at how others with similar or even less experience are kicking on (Yamal and Güler for example). It's only understandable peopel are asking for him to start (or at least feature) given how your midfield has looked, but I'm afraid he wouldn't solve the underlying issues as he'd probably look as clueless as the others on the pitch, and it's simply due to (lack of) tactics for me.

The substitutions last night also show that Southgate doesn't really have a clue on how to use his players. No wonder they all stand out for their own team under the likes of Pep, Klopp, Arteta, Emery, Ancelotti, and then look worse than players of Serbia and Denmark in this tournament. Good thing is that they are almost all young enough to flourish under your next manager but even then the 2021 Euros and Qatar WC are excellent opportunities which have been thrown away because of the FA keeping Southgate in position too long.

Not often I agree with a scouser but you have absolutely nailed it with last paragraph, we literally had the Euro 2021 final in the palm of our hands and just like Croatia 2018 he sat back

Playing TAA in CM is peak Southgate. But, Rice just isn't the player that he's made out to be by the Arsenal/English fans/media.

He's been our best midfielder alongside Odegaard. Not sure what you're on about.

Instead of petty tribalism club posts your ire should be at Southgate, under who every single player from Foden to Saka to Bellingham last game look utterly shite and lost.

While I can understand some of your points, not sure I can agree about Rashford.
There are enough passengers in the team already. And Rashford has been exactly that for United, all season. And if he was picked and failed to perform, it would have shown that Southgate was not picking players on merit.

Yes Mainoo and Wharton are young and inexperienced.
But that can also be a good thing because they would be trying that much more to impress.

I have a feeling that the players think that Southgate is too easy going and they can get away with less than full committment and still get picked.
The problem is that he may not make changes for the next game because England need at least a draw to qualify.
But it is perfectly clear that the current system is not working.

Without a doubt he is too easy going and a complete pushover which is why the FA love him, unfortunately that's not good traits in a manager when trying to inspire a performance

We have watched Rashford all season; he‘s on vacation for good reason. Gordon, Palmer and Bowen were much better this season.

He would’ve been a good wildcard pick. It’s true he didn’t earn a place, but I personally think he’d have turned it on this tournament. It would’ve been harsh on better performing players to take him though.

While you're absolutely not wrong, there is something to be said for players who have been there and done it consistently in an England shirt (which Rashford obviously has)

If England lose and Denmark win, England would be 3rd but I'd guess they'd be one of them best 3rd placed teams and would go through

The groups are based on H2H first and then GD. Therefore Germany aren't guaranteed to top their group. If Switzerland beat Germany and England finish 2nd, then it would be Switzerland in R16.

I've just had a look at the third place possibilities. It's a bit complex to work out but it looks like it would take a strange series of results to see them not go through as one of the best third placed teams. i.e. Switzerland and Scotland with big wins, Albania beating Spain etc and losing by more than one goal to Slovenia.

Last edited:
The clamour for Gordon now shows what a disastrous decision it was not to take Rashford, it’s obvious Kane needs a Son

Shouldn't have been jogging round the pitch at Newcastle, Grealish was more of the fact he clearly couldn't impress Guardiola enough this season. Mind you at least these two might have actually been given an opportunity.

He would’ve been a good wildcard pick. It’s true he didn’t earn a place, but I personally think he’d have turned it on this tournament. It would’ve been harsh on better performing players to take him though.
Exactly, I‘d never pick a player because he might be good, unless we are talking about an amazing young player like Mainoo.

It‘s time we do the same at United. If I was coach, Rashford would not make the bench.

Pickford
Rice
Foden Bellingham
Saka Kane Watkins​

I think this is the only way this team is going to work this year, tbh. We can debate Watkins or gordon, but that has a balance to it.

People have quibbled since before the tournament that Bellingham has to be a 10, its where he played for Madrid and where he is most effective etc. But he's more than capable of playing deeper, and he was actually most effective against Serbia when he dropped deeper both in possession and defensively. And if that is what can allow Foden to play centrally and you get more pace on the wing then you have to do it.

Will Southgate do it? No because he will say the team is unbalanced, but a braver manager absolutely would. Think about how dangerous that right hand side would be with foden and saka inter-playing.

At the very least you can experiment with this against Slovenia.

Shouldn't have been jogging round the pitch at Newcastle, Grealish was more of the fact he clearly couldn't impress Guardiola enough this season. Mind you at least these two might have actually been given an opportunity.
Not buying it, Rashford’s simply better than Gordon at football and the best fit for Southgate ball. But yeah as it is now Gordon is gonna have to play

The problem we might find with this is that neither Foden or Bellingham are likely to get back enough to cover Rice, who isnt the greatest in there. The big fear is that a team like Germany for example could exploit that space around Rice. In fact we saw it yesterday in the Denmark goal, that massive hole was because of dire play, but its what Iceland exposed too. Bellingham could be put in the 8 position, but good teams will wait for him to come forwards and then try and expose him behind.
Southgate makes decisions based on fear.

Put Mainoo in to help progress the ball, tell the team to have a go and push the defense up higher. You have a lot of recovery pace.

Players getting in each others way: this is happening because the team is failing and individual players are trying to force things.

Well I was right about not taking Rashford and Grealish being brought up after every game, yet their replacements in Palmer and Gordon can't get on the pitch. Why have you taken them when there is clearly a lack of trust in both

If England draw and Denmark win, England finish 2nd and would play Germany.

It depends on different variables.

If England draw 1-1 and Denmark win 1-0 they'd be completely level on 5 points with both having scored 3 and conceded 2.

Imagine a scenario where Southgate loses the dressing room and they openly revolt against his tactics, playing attacking football and he’s a lame duck sitting on the sidelines as Harry Kane decides on the subs.

England win the tournament and Southgate has the most embarrassing knighthood in history.

Yeah just imagine that.

The groups are based on H2H first and then GD. Therefore Germany aren't guaranteed to top their group. If Switzerland beat Germany and England finish 2nd, then it would be Switzerland in R16.

I've just had a look at the third place possibilities. It's a bit complex to work out but it looks like it would take a strange series of results to see them not go through as one of the best third placed teams. i.e. Switzerland and Scotland with big wins, Albania beating Spain etc and losing by more than one goal to Slovenia.
Cheers, forgot about the head to head. You'd imagine Germany won't lose but you never know, they might take it easy as they're through.

Southgate has stayed one tournament too far, the poor passing is because players are scared of taking any risks under him

Thats bred by his fear of going for it and his insecurity in the job. He’s too insecure to pick Mainoo or Wharton in midfield. He’s too insecure to swap Walker for Trent in certain games and tweak his setup. He got to the final against Italy - the worst result at that stage was runner up and he got runner up by losing the game whilst playing negative hold on for your life dross instead of going for it because hes insecure and scared. The Italy equaliser was coming for about 20 minutes and he just did nothing.

He doesn't even have the basic guile to have his players go down with ‘cramp’ or take 40 seconds to take throw ins and free kicks when we are under the kosh.

Why do we always look lethargic and knackered? Because we end up doing the hard chasing even against Denmark and then we just start lashing the ball upfield and it comes straight back. Our possession stats are faux because we get about 60 passes between the two centre halves and goalkeeper before lashing it upfield and losing it because theres no method of ball progression. Its awful to watch - every game we let the opposition get their defensive shape, we work the ball to left wing slowly, nowhere to go, Bellingham comes across to receive a pass, rice comes short for him, he goes backwards diagonal to rice, rice plays it back to a centre half, he plays it to the other centre half, who plays it to walker or saka, and the whole process repeats in reverse because the switch of play is so slow the opposition just sidle across to shut down the wing. We are a piece of piss to play against even for the likes of serbia, denmark and slovenia.

The jobs always been too big for him. He benefitted from a period where some of the bigger sides like Germany and Spain were going through cycles of players and not at their best. The only good/big team we have beaten in knockout football under him is Germany in Euro 2020 - and that was one of their worst sides in decades.

Thats bred by his fear of going for it and his insecurity in the job. He’s too insecure to pick Mainoo or Wharton in midfield. He’s too insecure to swap Walker for Trent in certain games and tweak his setup. He got to the final against Italy - the worst result at that stage was runner up and he got runner up by losing the game whilst playing negative hold on for your life dross instead of going for it because hes insecure and scared. The Italy equaliser was coming for about 20 minutes and he just did nothing.

He doesn't even have the basic guile to have his players go down with ‘cramp’ or take 40 seconds to take throw ins and free kicks when we are under the kosh.

Why do we always look lethargic and knackered? Because we end up doing the hard chasing even against Denmark and then we just start lashing the ball upfield and it comes straight back. Our possession stats are faux because we get about 60 passes between the two centre halves and goalkeeper before lashing it upfield and losing it because theres no method of ball progression. Its awful to watch - every game we let the opposition get their defensive shape, we work the ball to left wing slowly, nowhere to go, Bellingham comes across to receive a pass, rice comes short for him, he goes backwards diagonal to rice, rice plays it back to a centre half, he plays it to the other centre half, who plays it to walker or saka, and the whole process repeats in reverse because the switch of play is so slow the opposition just sidle across to shut down the wing. We are a piece of piss to play against even for the likes of serbia, denmark and slovenia.

The jobs always been too big for him. He benefitted from a period where some of the bigger sides like Germany and Spain were going through cycles of players and not at their best. The only good/big team we have beaten in knockout football under him is Germany in Euro 2020 - and that was one of their worst sides in decades.

That last paragraph needs highlighting particularly to the tournament fans who see him as some kind of messiah. We got favourable runs and that's how he got so far in tournaments

As you say, one of the worst German sides ever. Big name, not a big team at the time. Löw had overstayed his welcome, similarly to Southgate now, but at least he had the World Cup 2014 and the Confed Cup 2017 to show for it. Löw messed up the generation change after that and that resulted in disastrous tournaments 2018 and 2021.

By the way, it feels weird to talk about a generation change in Germany when we now field one of our oldest ever teams on average under Nagelsmann :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.