England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane is in his Alexis Sanches/Rooney decline phase, I knew it was coming because Mourinho, Conte and Southgate together combined to never rest him. Tuchel the bin man has continued that trend. His legs are going.
It's his back. Has had problems with it and it definitely impacts mobility.

We’re back to the days of shoehorning ‘names’ onto the teamsheet over what makes a functional team. Play rice 6, bellingham 8, foden 10 and gordon left. Instead, we feck the whole team to play a right back at cdm because its felt he’s too big a name to leave out
It makes even less sense to have played TAA when his party trick is spraying the ball wide, yet one of his diagonals was cut off by having nothing to hit on the left side of the pitch. There was no point to playing TAA, if he wasn't going to play in a manner that would even facilitate his game. He needs runners over the top, yet only one (half of one) was in the front line.

He just doesn't have a clue what he's doing, even when trying to shoehorn, it's not with any plan in mind.

He looks like the Middlesbrough manager that he is. Genuine Championship level, mid-table, at that.

he’s basically seen what Bellingham has done for Madrid this season and is too scared not to play him anywhere else. If Madrid had Bellingham and Foden then Bellingham wouldn’t be playing so far up the field.

you have Rice, Bellingham and Foden to form a world class triangle in the middle with the potential for two good pacey wingers and he has fecked it all up because he had to do what Madrid does.

The knock on effect of it is Foden on the wing which doesn’t help Kane nor does it help the left with a makeshift Trippier out there and it renders the midfield impotent especially when he’s doubling up on his error by playing TAA there.

And the stupidist thing of all is he seemingly can’t see this himself, or just refuses to change things lest he admit he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It was all there to see in the first game and he rolled out the same team. Hilarious.
Good post. Spot on. It's bewildering that he can't drop Bellingham alongside Rice. Rice can shield the defence as a 6 and it still allows Bellingham to get up the pitch as a 8. Also playing foden in the position where he has 27 goals is a no brainer.

Also bringing in Foden allows England to have Eze or Gordon on the left wing, giving us another outlet instead of the predictable, get it to Saka.

He's just a very poor, very negative manager who wants to keep 11 men behind the ball and have a double screen Infront of the defence because it's Serbia and Denmark.

He'd probably try to play all of his defenders if he was up against Spain or Germany.

Clueless. Especially that comment about Kalvin Phillips. What does that say to Mainoo?

Jesus Christ. That Kyle Walker interview. Nobody can convince me that guy doesn’t eat crayons if you leave him alone with them.

he’s basically seen what Bellingham has done for Madrid this season and is too scared not to play him anywhere else. If Madrid had Bellingham and Foden then Bellingham wouldn’t be playing so far up the field.

you have Rice, Bellingham and Foden to form a world class triangle in the middle with the potential for two good pacey wingers and he has fecked it all up because he had to do what Madrid does.

The knock on effect of it is Foden on the wing which doesn’t help Kane nor does it help the left with a makeshift Trippier out there and it renders the midfield impotent especially when he’s doubling up on his error by playing TAA there.

And the stupidist thing of all is he seemingly can’t see this himself, or just refuses to change things lest he admit he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It was all there to see in the first game and he rolled out the same team. Hilarious.
This a good breakdown. It's amazing how he cannot see this and adjust

I honestly don't understand what TAA brings to midfield that Mainoo or Wharton. What's even the point of taking them along, if he plays a right back who's never played in CM before?

It makes even less sense to have played TAA when his party trick is spraying the ball wide, yet one of his diagonals was cut off by having nothing to hit on the left side of the pitch. There was no point to playing TAA, if he wasn't going to play in a manner that would even facilitate his game. He needs runners over the top, yet only one (half of one) was in the front line.

He just doesn't have a clue what he's doing, even when trying to shoehorn, it's not with any plan in mind.

He looks like the Middlesbrough manager that he is. Genuine Championship level, mid-table, at that.

Agree with all of that. You dont have months on end with the team like at club level so surely it doesnt help one bit to play them out of the positions and roles they fulfil at club level.

I honestly don't understand what TAA brings to midfield that Mainoo or Wharton. What's even the point of taking them along, if he plays a right back who's never played in CM before?

TAA probably loses some sponsorships bonuses if he doesn't start or something. He’ll play walker until he's dust rather than phase Trent in at his natural position. Surprised sterling isn’t there and starting to be honest

Also interesting how much the pundits on TV are not mincing their words, about both Southgate and some of the players and potential need to drop some/ change the system.

Its not working at all. Spain in particular look like they're playing a different sport.

He shouldn't be in the squad, in my opinion, let alone starting games in midfield.

If you're gambling on Shaw returning to fitness and taking Trippier to temporarily cover at left-back and Walker to start right-back, what's the point of another right-back?

Win the group and the route to the SFs is not too bad. It would be one of the third placed teams in the R16 (worst case scenario would be Belgium, though I don't think they will finish 3rd) and in the QF the 2nd placed team in group A and B (currently Switzerland and Italy). England were quite comfortable against Italy in the qualifiers, so it's not too bad of a draw if we finish top. It would then likely be France in the SF who would likely also have a nice path to the SF (Turkey R16 and possibly Belgium in the QF, if they top their group).

If France fail to top their group and it would likely be Netherlands, Belgium or a fairly surprising team in the SF for England.

It's the other half of the draw that looks more tricky. If England finish 2nd in the group, it would be Germany R16, Spain QF and probably Portugal in the SF to then face France in the final. I don't think England can win the tournament if they finish 2nd but if they top the group, they could have enough time to pick up form without being punished.

I think Swiss would be a tricky game in the knock outs the state England are currently in. Like Denmark they're solid at the back and Xhaka would enjoy his battle with Rice. Probably haven't got enough upfront to beat England but you could see it going like today and being a tight 1-1 and extra time and then who knows. They beat France on pens in the last Euros after all.

Yep England have no chance whatsoever with that path if they finish 2nd so beating Slovenia is a must otherwise winner of Serb-Denmark has a chance of 1st if they win by two clear goals.

A friend of mine posted this on a whatsapp group which I thought made sense
He fundamentally misunderstood why Trent moving into midfield from right back is different from Trent starting in midfield. The former means he is overloading a position, giving him time and space to pick passes, no such luxury in a two

TAA probably loses some sponsorships bonuses if he doesn't start or something. He’ll play walker until he's dust rather than phase Trent in at his natural position. Surprised sterling isn’t there and starting to be honest

TAA isn't good enough for the side, even at right-back. He's worked at Liverpool because the system covers for his glaring weaknesses, but England haven't got the personnel to play like that.

If we played an all England title match (defences being equal because we have no depth) and you let me field a team of:

………………….Watkins………………………
Gordon ……….Eze……….Palmer…….
………….Mainoo…….Wharton……….

Without a manager at all …. I think they beat the team that started today and that imbalanced mass of dysfunction.

And Southgate ….. dude…. decades from now, when people are still laughing at you, “We’ve had a tough time replacing Kalvin Phillips” will still be a Meme on t-shirts

Sorry, Southgate is a tactical genius. Playing multiple players out of position is just a prelude to some huge ploy that will see us win the tournament
Hm not sure why you equated to me disagreeing with that as me rating Southgate…

EDIT: oh you quoted the part I accidentally left in where that I started to typed about something else but forgot to quote. Disregard the first paragraph please! :D

Neville saying how in 10 years we will be saying .. how did we not get Trent in that team ? ... I thought it was very apt that they then went on to look at England b Iceland euro 2016 with Gary in woys ear .

What are these guys seeing .

I think England can start booking that return flight home. Can’t see this squad moving past the round of 16 unless they produce a Greece type miracle and lull everyone to sleep.

it all depends on southgate and whether he has both the ability and the willingness to change what system he appears to have landed on in the first 2 games.

Argentina started the world Cup by losing to minnows Saudi Arabia and then flattered to deceive in stuttering through the group stage, but Scaloni had the presence of mind to alter his system and tactics and wasnt afraid of changing personnel until he landed on something which got the best out of the squad he had available.

Southgate has a wealth of options in the forward line and midfield, but up to now hes refused to make use of it. im also pessimistic he has the tactical knowhow to find a system which gets the best out of this group of players.

Southgate also has shown previously that he lacks the ability to formulate a plan B, C or D when things arent going our way and often just changes players on a like for like basis during games and hopes his plan A starts to work, rather than altering the shape or the tactics and it leads to us going out on a whimper. that trend appears to be continuing this tournament so far.

Surely Southgate isnt going to die on this hill and continue fielding the same team. id expect a number of changes tuesday, if he doesnt we may as well get knocked out here and go home.

Neville saying how in 10 years we will be saying .. how did we not get Trent in that team ? ... I thought it was very apt that they then went on to look at England b Iceland euro 2016 with Gary in woys ear .

I think in 10 years time we will be talking about Kyle Walker being the best RB in PL history. Trent is a talented player but how is Neville dismissing Walker? He's not flashy, nor particularly technical but he's a vital player for England.

Agree with all of that. You dont have months on end with the team like at club level so surely it doesnt help one bit to play them out of the positions and roles they fulfil at club level.
What's worse is you know Southgate hasn't got his staff drilling these players on a very specific style of play or plan of execution. It's literally keep it safe, hit wide and pray for some moments of individual brilliance. Nothing cohesive; nothing certain and certainly nothing the collective can believe in and get behind.

You see how well a team is drilled in the worst moments, not their best. And England completely fall to pieces at the first hint of provocation, especially so when they score a goal because then even the initial plan gets lost in the halfway house of Southgate's hang on for dear life tactical nightmare.

The most basic way to play is just have pace and width down the flanks and two creative players in the middle, if you're going to YOLO it whilst trying to be risk averse. He can't even get that right, and it's a real damning indictment because England aren't left with anything to rely on or fall back into when the shit hits the fan and the players panic and revert to type.

I think he's been far too aware of the criticisms of his management going into this tournament.

He's been criticised for being too negative when he plays two holding midfielders, so now he's put Rice in there alone and decided he's going to experiment with TAA alongside him because he doesn't think the other options are right, for whatever reason.

He's been criticised for sticking by his "favourites" and ignoring club form, so he's left out Sterling, Henderson, Maguire, Rashford and Grealish, except now he's left with a bunch of players he doesn't really know or trust. This has then had the knock-on of him becoming even more reliant on the "favourites" he has brought along, and is why we're seeing him try and cram Kane, Foden and Bellingham into the same side with no thought to how they're going to play together.

He's overthought the squad selection and not thought enough about the tactics.

This I completely agree with. And each stance is kind of right. Southgate was rightly criticised for the above but him bowing to it probably wasn't the right answer.

If he was a better manager then go for it, but the world and it's dog knows Southgate isn't that manager. He should have stuck with more of what he knows and what he's done well with previously. Honestly, Sterling/Rashford/Grealish with a point to prove would definitely be better than many options coming off the back of good but grueling seasons.

I think he's been far too aware of the criticisms of his management going into this tournament.

He's been criticised for being too negative when he plays two holding midfielders, so now he's put Rice in there alone and decided he's going to experiment with TAA alongside him because he doesn't think the other options are right, for whatever reason.

He's been criticised for sticking by his "favourites" and ignoring club form, so he's left out Sterling, Henderson, Maguire, Rashford and Grealish, except now he's left with a bunch of players he doesn't really know or trust. This has then had the knock-on of him becoming even more reliant on the "favourites" he has brought along, and is why we're seeing him try and cram Kane, Foden and Bellingham into the same side with no thought to how they're going to play together.

He's overthought the squad selection and not thought enough about the tactics.
Agree with this. There is no clear sense of what he is trying to achieve, we don't really counter attack, we don't press, we don't keep possession... what's the plan?

Either Southgate is extremely arrogant and/or extremely dumb. I don't which one is worse
He is definitely both.
This guy’s main accolade as a boss was to relegate Middlesbrough.
Just look at what he has done to England , he is single handedly fecking us hard whilst at the same time pretending to be some sort of savant.
We won’t win anything with him in charge and it’s too painful to think of what we might have won with someone who wasn’t a clueless prick as the manager.

With Kane playing so deep and the wing backs England has, I wonder why Southgate never try the 3-5-2/5-3-2/3-1-5-2 Inzaghi tactic in friendly. It is too late now anyway.

Kane is in his Alexis Sanches/Rooney decline phase, I knew it was coming because Mourinho, Conte and Southgate together combined to never rest him. Tuchel the bin man has continued that trend. His legs are going.

Golden shoe winner, Bundesliga top scorer and champions league top scorer.

You're right his legs have completely gone...

Kane needs runners in front of him who are willing to go in behind to get the best out of him. instead he has saka and foden on the wings who prefer the ball to feet and look to move inside. The tactics are stiffling Kanes ability to influence the games. Kane has just had the most prolific season of his career.

With Kane playing so deep and the wing backs England has, I wonder why Southgate never try the 3-5-2/5-3-2/3-1-5-2 Inzaghi tactic in friendly. It is too late now anyway.
Saka LB and TAA RB could work and get Saka, Foden, and Bellingham in.

To be fair, Alexander-Arnold is one of the most talented footballers in World football.

Problem is, he was world class as a right back in a world class team but hasn’t looked that good for two years now. If Southgate played a 2020 Liverpoolesque midfield, Trent should play right back.

But that’s just not the case. I wouldn’t have had him in The squad as a midfielder.

I think in 10 years time we will be talking about Kyle Walker being the best RB in PL history. Trent is a talented player but how is Neville dismissing Walker? He's not flashy, nor particularly technical but he's a vital player for England.

Walker is nailed on at right back for me . Southgate left Trent out of many squads , he should've been left out of this one . He's created a decision that didn't need to exist . Trippier is walker back up and can play the switch or long ball from that side , not to trents level , but trents a bit of a luxury we can't afford .

I don’t get the lovefest for Trent. Is England contractually obligated to have at least 1 Liverpool player in the lineup?

He does one thing/style pretty well, but England don’t play that style. I feel like this is a Foden issue as well: at City things are super technical, he’s running one-twos off multiple elite players… it’s just a completely different thing than what he’s asked to do by England.

Foden I actually like a lot, but the “is he a good fit” conversation is still a valid one.

To be fair, Alexander-Arnold is one of the most talented footballers in World football.

Problem is, he was world class as a right back in a world class team but hasn’t looked that good for two years now. If Southgate played a 2020 Liverpoolesque midfield, Trent should play right back.

But that’s just not the case. I wouldn’t have had him in The squad as a midfielder.
World class at attacking but he's always been suspect defensively

Just to be clear to everyone who hopped on my back when I said this team was "bad"-- I was speaking in regards to the players on the field. Gallagher, Watkins, Bowen, Eze all are incredibly underwhelming substitutes who were brought on in place of four world class players. The first team is solid as any in the tournament, but the bench, in my opinion, is a huge step down in quality. The eleven who finished the game, chasing a goal, has a combined 15 international goals between them.

I agree (although Trent is fat from world class in CM).

The attacking subs though. Very poor for a supposed favourite. None have the experience, even if they're all good players. They need players alongside them who have been there and done it to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Players like Rashford, Grealish or Sterling who were all left out. One if not two of them needed to be on the plane. It didn't look like the three who came on had the self-belief to change the game, instead it looked like they just wanted to not make a mistake. Can't blame them either.

This is a valid question though. Someone who has watched and worked with Kane this long will know that he is going to drop way to deep, so you have to have tactics and setups that keep good spacing and use the abandoned spaces.

World class at attacking but he's always been suspect defensively

Oh of course. He’s a star shaped peg and most non-Klopp teams don’t have star shaped holes.

No idea what he’ll be going forward.

Andy Robertson has just cracked on. Far less talent. But most teams would take him in A heartbeat.

I have no idea who would buy Trent. No idea where he would play for anyone.

I agree (although Trent is fat from world class in CM).

The attacking subs though. Very poor for a supposed favourite. None have the experience, even if they're all good players. They need players alongside them who have been there and done it to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Players like Rashford, Grealish or Sterling who were all left out. One if not two of them needed to be on the plane. It didn't look like the three who came on had the self-belief to change the game, instead it looked like they just wanted to not make a mistake. Can't blame them either.

Well, there’s one person on the bench who wouldn’t have had an issue with nerves or worrying about making a mistake: Palmer.

Eze looking shaky surprised me. Bowen? I think that’s just his level.

Bowen on for Saka at RW genuinely pi$$ed me off.

Putting them all on together was a massive mistake though. You have quarter of the team coming in cold. Why not see if Jude and Saka can pair with Eze and Watkins to make something happen for a 10 to 15 overlap before making more moves.

Oh of course. He’s a star shaped peg and most non-Klopp teams don’t have star shaped holes.

No idea what he’ll be going forward.

Andy Robertson has just cracked on. Far less talent. But most teams would take him in A heartbeat.

I have no idea who would buy Trent. No idea where he would play for anyone.
I could be wrong but as RWB in a back 3. More protection defensively and bigger license to attack

Hm not sure why you equated to me disagreeing with that as me rating Southgate…

EDIT: oh you quoted the part I accidentally left in where that I started to typed about something else but forgot to quote. Disregard the first paragraph please! :D

maybe my reply is too snappy anyway. I’m mainly reconfiguring it around the bulk of the players he is set on selecting. That may not necessarily work - it may be that Foden is benched and we play rice Mainoo deep and Bellingham as 10 etc etc. I just think he used his resources awfully. And it seems to me in his mind its more important to get certain players on the field than choose players that implement his (limited) system best.

For example, I cant figure out why we want to sit deep and punt it long (especially against Denmark) considering our personnel but if we do that and need a target man up front with pace, power, physicality to hold it up and chase lost causes then its Ivan Toney starting over Harry Kane all day long. Horses for courses.

I dont think the likes of Germany, France and Spain are going to be remotely worried about facing England and as soon as England come up against a team like that they are straight on the plane home. England have a manager who plays a joke system for the players at his disposal and then one betters himself by chosing the wrong players within it. Its painful

Status
Not open for further replies.