England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest only a joke knock out run gets England to the final.

Too many holes all over the pitch and simply not enough time to fix it because Gareth would rather play Kalvin Phillips and Henderson against the likes of Italy as recently as October.

I don't think so. Will get an easier draw as group winners and then probably the easiest of the remaining teams and then get kicked out by a good team after that if they don't seriously improve. The familiar pattern.

I wouldn't assume a win against Slovenia or even a draw.

I've not seen us do much in the way of any running at all. We looked dead in that game, absolutely dead. I've only watched 10 mins of the Spain v Italy game and it's night and day the pace it's been played at.
You need to look at the collective running as well as the number of mindless key sprints in succession that are occurring.

These two are using the ball and supplementing that with economic movement, which keeps stamina reserves at peak. They’re also slow the game down at will with possession, which is resting in possession. England have not done that at all.

I'm shocked that the insanely overrated Declan Rice had yet another poor game for England.

I'm not shocked whatsoever

Foden and Bellingham is the new Scholes, Lampard Gerrard situation.

Stop playing people out of position just to squeeze them in.

The man is clueless.

I would absolutely be playing with a false 9 at these Championships with England. Front six of Rice, Mainoo, Foden, Saka, Gordon, and Bellingham.

Leave Kane on the bench. We’d have actual width and a midfield. Shaw is vital to get back fit.

Southgate is just a terrible manager, this whole TAA in midfield thing. Letting Foden, Bellingham and Kane play on the same 10m squared box. Clueless.

And saying we have no replacements for Phillips is criminal. We have two upgrades on him in Mainoo and Wharton.

As a Welshman I find that Kalvin Philips quote absolutely hilarious, but for his honesty he should be rewarded with a shiny new contract from the FA as I get to revel in how utter fvcking shite he is and it keeps him away from OT

Fair point, we may discover new depths of despair against Slovenia.

What makes it even worse somehow is Denmark weren't any great shakes either, its not like we've just been outplayed and the other team put on a worldie.

And that Philips quote cannot be real. He was a total disaster at West Ham and barely played in the last two years. There has be a better solution than experimenting with TAA at the Euro group stages.

Clearly a failure of an experiment as well

Even though Rashford has been totally sht this season I think they made a mistake not taking him. Even if he did nothing but come off the bench and make runs in behind it will at least get the opposition defense turned and give them something else to think about. Its all too one dimensional.

But worse, given the talent at his disposal. I don’t think ETH would feck that up as bad as Southgate is.

Oh no I was just speaking of the "gassed players" thing because it's a real consequence of being unable to control the game in or out of possession so you're stuck chasing the ball around and then finally getting it and immediately ramming it up field.

Dont know why anyone really takes that much interest in it. I watched lots of games so far this tournament as a neutral. Including our game tonight. England look dire and are going straight home the moment they play any quality opposition. Can we sign marc Guehi over Branthwaite though please Ineos?

Just to be clear to everyone who hopped on my back when I said this team was "bad"-- I was speaking in regards to the players on the field. Gallagher, Watkins, Bowen, Eze all are incredibly underwhelming substitutes who were brought on in place of four world class players. The first team is solid as any in the tournament, but the bench, in my opinion, is a huge step down in quality. The eleven who finished the game, chasing a goal, has a combined 15 international goals between them.

If only we could somehow replace the iconic Kalvin Phillips! Good job we're using this tournament to experiment with options though.

Watching the absolute state of England today was eerily similar to watching United. Interestingly, the problem isn't ownership or anything like that. It's bad management. Feels like there's a lesson here that we're not learning at United or England.

Even though Rashford has been totally sht this season I think they made a mistake not taking him. Even if he did nothing but come off the bench and make runs in behind it will at least get the opposition defense turned and give them something else to think about. Its all too one dimensional.

Yeah either bring him as an option, or have a clear plan for how you'll set up a team without Shaw. The dogshit he's rolled out there right now just reeks of not having any real ideas (TAA as a midfielder isn't an idea, it's lazy profiling )

Actually feeling a tad sorry for some of the players today who’re getting serious criticism while golden boy Bellingham gets a free pass for going AWOL.

Oh no I was just speaking of the "gassed players" thing because it's a real consequence of being unable to control the game in or out of possession so you're stuck chasing the ball around and then finally getting it and immediately ramming it up field.
:lol: Mindlessly running it back up the pitch to muted cheers before invariably losing it, being out of position and too tired to get back, thus compromising the shape of the team. Classic.

Just to be clear to everyone who hopped on my back when I said this team was "bad"-- I was speaking in regards to the players on the field. Gallagher, Watkins, Bowen, Eze all are incredibly underwhelming substitutes who were brought on in place of four world class players. The first team is solid as any in the tournament, but the bench, in my opinion, is a huge step down in quality. The eleven who finished the game, chasing a goal, has a combined 15 international goals between them.
I read somewhere that this was the best ever England squad.

But we have gordon who can do that and has been better than rashford this season, southgate just doesn't want to use him

Trent deserved to come off. I’d have brought on Mainoo though not Gallagher. Watkins made some decent runs and stretched their defence.

I don't think he's using Trent well (or if he even should) and I like Watkins. I don't mind Eze and Bowen either honestly. But when you look at the four players taken off and who replaced them, it's hard to not see a hilarious gulf in quality.

It's genuinely embarrassing for an international manager to say that with the quality at his disposal but it's even worse that he actually believes it.

People think we are joking but I'm not kidding, if I was a decision maker and heard that quote I'd sack him on the spot. Because anyone who believes that is never the man to lead my team to a trophy.

Eze is not underwhelming, palmer, mainoo, Gordon and Watkins definitely aren't underwhelming subs. Its the lack of a plan then makes them look poor

Kalvin Phillips, this generations Bobby Charlton, we obviously can't expect Southgate to do anything against Denmark without Kalvin Phillips.

That's what I was saying before the squad was announced.

Walker--Stones--Guehi
Trent--Bellingham--Rice--Doughty
Saka--Kane--Foden​
Would have worked a lot better I think

I was playing a back 4 with Palmer in instead of Trent as Doughty just bombs up and down the left side on his own all day long and walker can just sit back similar to how City play. Gvardiol was basically playing as a LW in the 2nd half of the season and walker has alway been more conservative as he's an insurance policy against any runners.

Either formation sorts one of if not the Major flaw though.

Southgate has been managing England for years. Compare how well Austria looks after one year of Rangnick. We are going nowhere under Gareth.

Surely that Kalvin Phillips comment is him trolling to the media? I mean, this is the same Kalvin Phillips who is struggling to even get a professional contract in the league. Perhaps what he actually intended was to say Jordan Henderson instead. Regardless, he should be sacked by the FA for that comment alone.

I'm 40 years old and watching England has been one massive disappointment. We have the same conversations every tournament.

We have supposedly world class players who can't perform or even keep hold of the ball, and it always been like that since I started watching in the early 90s.

Graham Taylor had Carlton Palmer. Southgate wants Kalvin Phillps or Connor Gallagher. Just nothing midfielders.

We have ball playing midfielders in the squad but Southgate won't use them. The same thing happened to Michael Carrick. We just have an obsession for midfielders who get stuck in and run about a bit.

Southgate has been managing England for years. Compare how well Austria looks after one year of Rangnick. We are going nowhere under Gareth.
He completely easter the qualifying campaign and friendlies as an opportunity to build up to this tournament. Instead he choose to cling on to the likes of Henderson, Phillips and Maguire . Even with the left back situation, Shaw has been out for sometime so he had plenty of opportunities to try out natural alternatives

Gordon can do that. There's a million things that can be done differently to what Southgate has done so far to improve the performance before you get to leaving Rashford or Grealish at home.

Gordon was playing upfront for Newcastle for a while this season when both Wilson and Isak were injured because he could do exactly that.

I'm starting to understand why you blokes don't like Southgate.

He lost the plot when he picked Trent for the midfield. Rice was poor today but to be fair he was asked to do the work of two people.

If he starts TAA in the final match he's insane.

I'm shocked that the insanely overrated Declan Rice had yet another poor game for England.

I'm not shocked whatsoever
What do you expect him to do? He's a defensive midfielder working under a garbage manager who makes every player look utterly shitte. Not sure why this is difficult to understand.

The issue with England is as much Southgate bowing to external pressures than anything. No way should some of the squad be anywhere near the team based on 6-9 months good football.

Managers should back themselves with the players they know to work with. Sure, throw a few in there but Southgate has packed his options with far too many unknowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.