England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather they extend his contract so he doesn't become an option for us.
Would it be bad to want us to get knocked out of the euros early so INEOS might change their minds on him or would it be the complete opposite and he’d be available if we went out early.

Gordon is in the squad, he's rapid, works his ass off out of possession and had a great season totting up 21 g/a in the league. We have speed on the other side in Bowen if we need it, Saka isn't a slouch, Bellingham is a very powerful runner with the ball and Foden is extremely fast over a short distance. You're acting like we have slouches in the forward roles when we don't. There is lots of pace in the team. Had Rashford had an even halfway acceptable season he was a guarantee, but he didn't and there was no fair way to justify him being in the team.

You're either missing my point or have no idea what you're talking about if you're implying Foden is big a transitional threat.

That's working out well isn't it?

It has worked when you have Maguire, Shaw etc. in but when you're reduced to the defence England have and you don't have an inform Rashford or Grealish then it's a big drop off and change. With the defensive options England have and the personnel of Bellingham and Foden who I think operate best in those AM positions and Trent as a RWB, it would be better. Walker has played often enough as a RCB as has Stones in that formation. Guehi at club level will be operating in that system too. It's only Saka who you basically 'sacrifice' in the formation but he's one of England best players and would be able to adapt to the position.
That worked because of the 5 at the back not the 4 at the back. In the Euros we lost on pens we played a 5 at the back. Maguire, Walker, Stones CBs, Trippier on the right and Shaw on the left. Maguire is a liability with 4 at the back. We also didn't have the attacking talent back then that we have now (with Palmer, Gordon, Eze, Bowen). We had a choice of Sterling, Rashford, Grealish and Saka. 3 of those players now can't even make this team and we've added more depth and danger in those areas.

We also have better ball playing midfielders now with that bum Phillips nowhere near the team and the additions of Bellingham/Gallagher/Mainoo/Wharton. We have the perfect team for a dominant 4-3-3, we have the best full back in the world at cleaning up opposition counters (Walker). Just because the manager can't find the right balance or know how to coach a dominant style and position the players properly doesn't mean we can't do it.

I also disagree with playing Foden centrally, there's a reason Pep plays him mainly on the wings (unless City have injury problems). He always looks terrible for England when he's number 10 and should either play wide or not at all.

At the end of the day the majority of our best players are in attack and finding a formation to limit that threat is ridiculous. We need to get rid of Southgate and find a manager that can coach a dominant 4-3-3.

Gordon is in the squad, he's rapid, works his ass off out of possession and had a great season totting up 21 g/a in the league. We have speed on the other side in Bowen if we need it, Saka isn't a slouch, Bellingham is a very powerful runner with the ball and Foden is extremely fast over a short distance. You're acting like we have slouches in the forward roles when we don't. There is lots of pace in the team. Had Rashford had an even halfway acceptable season he was a guarantee, but he didn't and there was no fair way to justify him being in the team.

We replay the FA Cup final tomorrow.

Would you want Rashford playing or Gordon/Bowen?

England is about to go into an international cup with a squad that is considered favourites for the 4th time in a row, all to be completely bottled by the most meh manager in the history of sports.
Favourites by who? Except attacking talent on paper there are lot of issues in the team. No goalkeeper. Poor defenders looking at defensive side. No leaders except Kane. No central midfield that is good enough at this level yet.

That worked because of the 5 at the back not the 4 at the back. In the Euros we lost on pens we played a 5 at the back. Maguire, Walker, Stones CBs, Trippier on the right and Shaw on the left. Maguire is a liability with 4 at the back. We also didn't have the attacking talent back then that we have now (with Palmer, Gordon, Eze, Bowen). We had a choice of Sterling, Rashford, Grealish and Saka. 3 of those players now can't even make this team and we've added more depth and danger in those areas.

Errrm - the attacking talent back then is ten times better than the players you mentioned.

It was terrible, but a meaningless friendly at the end of the day.

I must admit I would like having at least one of Grealish/Maddison/Rashford to bring on though, even if they haven't had great seasons.

I really hate this point of view (nothing personal of course). Good teams win football matches. Also, winning football matches is actually really important.

We also have better ball playing midfielders now with that bum Phillips nowhere near the team and the additions of Bellingham/Gallagher/Mainoo/Wharton. We have the perfect team for a dominant 4-3-3, we have the best full back in the world at cleaning up opposition counters (Walker). Just because the manager can't find the right balance or know how to coach a dominant style and position the players properly doesn't mean we can't do it.

I also disagree with playing Foden centrally, there's a reason Pep plays him mainly on the wings (unless City have injury problems). He always looks terrible for England when he's number 10 and should either play wide or not at all.

You have a perfect team for a dominant 4-3-3 when players are available but they're not. Without Maguire and Shaw the defence drops dramatically and it's not capable of that 4-3-3 to that high level in my opinion.

Trippier at LB is utterly shite.

Yeh that's fair enough. Just seems to be some posters with red tinted glasses on when it comes to Rashford. Players in crap form shouldn't be called up, simple as that. One of the few things Southgate has got right by the looks of it.
I agree as a rule, but I do think there are times when an Intl manager flex’s a bit. Given Kane is a gimme, could have taken one of Watkins/Toney (former for me) and taken Rashford who can play wide like Gordon and cover 9 if needed. Or leave Bowen.

You can check my posts, I’ve not been positive about Rashford this season at all, but he does offer something when his good games come around, can cover the two positions and has tournament/international experience (which does count for something).

(No Branthwaite is another odd decision for me, given the CHs he has taken)

All the wide players want to come infield and play in the same pockets; and there isn’t a left back.

Itll never happen but the most balance he can put out with what he’s selected is a 3/5/2. The 4231 just gets everything congested.

Pickford
Walker - Stones - Guehi
Trent - Mainoo - Rice - Saka
Bellingham
Kane - Watkins​

Who would you start ahead of him if we played the FA Cup final again tomorrow?
A new player, i.e. we should be aiming for much better than him because he's had a terrible season. Just like England should be playing plyers other than Rashford because he had a terrible season. One final is not enough to pick a player, form is accrued over games plural, not game singular.

I agree as a rule, but I do think there are times when an Intl manager flex’s a bit. Given Kane is a gimme, could have taken one of Watkins/Toney (former for me) and taken Rashford who can play wide like Gordon and cover 9 if needed.

You can check my posts, I’ve not been positive about Rashford this season at all, but he does offer something when his good games come around, can cover the two positions and has tournament/international experience (which does count for something).

(No Branthwaite is another odd decision for me, given the CHs he has taken)

Yep.

You get it.

Mainoo was involved in pretty much all of the good combination play which opened any space against the low block. He created a number of combinations that Foden and Palmer didn't quite exploit.

Gordon was a shite Dan James with none of the charm, completely forgettable player.
You can tell it was instructions. Mainoo with us always makes those runs into the box, it seems he had the instruction today of just standing in between their 3 midfielders and not risking the run into the box. He payed completely different today to how he would with us.

A new player, i.e. we should be aiming for much better than him because he's had a terrible season. Just like England should be playing plyers other than Rashford because he had a terrible season. One final is not enough to pick a player, form is accrued over games plural, not game singular.

Okay - so your argument is Arambat isn’t a starter because we can magic up a new player. Fair enough.

60 caps and top scorer at the last tournament should do though.

Southgate has taken a huge gamble with some rookiess he's taken.
Is this wuminator with a secondary account?

I can’t fathom how some can’t grasp the fact that 2 years is a tremendously long time in football. Saying MR was englands best player 2 years ago…counts for absolute nothing where we are today.

Judging by wiminators parameters we should also take Welbeck instead of Kane. He has more trophies so that must mean he’s more capable.

We’ve mostly done that under Southgate to be fair.

Aye. I've no problem with him as england manager tbf. Stylistically not my cup of tea but his tournament record is really good. Especially compared to where we were when he took over.

You have a perfect team for a dominant 4-3-3 when players are available but they're not. Without Maguire and Shaw the defence drops dramatically and it's not capable of that 4-3-3 to that high level in my opinion.
Shaw will be back in the group stages and I do believe that Guehi is good enough but I do get your concern. The safe option would be to do what you said but why the hell would he bring so many attacking players to then play 5 at the back...

I can’t fathom how some can’t grasp the fact that 2 years is a tremendously long time in football. Saying MR was englands best player 2 years ago…counts for absolute nothing where we are today.

Judging by wiminators parameters we should also take Welbeck instead of Kane. He has more trophies so that must mean he’s more capable.

Great post. really logical points.

You can tell it was instructions. Mainoo with us always makes those runs into the box, it seems he had the instruction today of just standing in between their 3 midfielders and not risking the run into the box. He payed completely different today to how he would with us.
Imagine if waistcoat is managing him/us week in, week out? :mad:

Shaw will be back in the group stages and I do believe that Guehi is good enough but I do get your concern. The safe option would be to do what you said but why the hell would he bring so many attacking players to then play 5 at the back...

Because he isn't a good coach and doesn't understand how to resolve problems quickly enough.

I think Guehi is okay but it's a drop off and he's rusty. Also Trippier at LB is just shite.

Why the feck do you keep linking us with Southgate you weirdos.

Stop believing everything you read with football rumours. That is not going to happen.

With so many changes and little to no playing time with each other I don't see England getting as far this time. Hopefully they can surprise and the manager finds a few good formations and player combinations. Currently it looks very difficult to get a good team balance.

A month or two ago I was expecting a more settled team.

INEOS might not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they have to be smart enough to know the uproar this would cause. Talk about starting off on the wrong foot. No way this happens.

Anyway to get back to the point on how we'd do this Euros. We'll do enough to get to the first top team and then lose. Could be the ro16 or the final, depends on the luck of the draw. Pretty much like every tournament in my lifetime.

Anyway to get back to the point on how we'd do this Euros. We'll do enough to get to the first top team and then lose. Could be the ro16 or the final, depends on the luck of the draw. Pretty much like every tournament in my lifetime.
Yep. Away, from the southgate issue, we need to finally crack how to produce good enough players to actually win a trophy. Because we've been going around in cricles with decades.

At the end of the day the majority of our best players are in attack and finding a formation to limit that threat is ridiculous. We need to get rid of Southgate and find a manager that can coach a dominant 4-3-3.

He plays on the wing because he isn't good enough to play centrally for City. Will be funny when they get someone like Musiala or Wirtz after raving for years about how Foden will eventually stay in the middle.

Unfortunately for him, Saka is a better right winger than him as well. And it's obvious that he's not ideal on the left. You need a fast powerful runner on the left if you have Kane and Saka as the other two forwards. Foden is none of those.

It's unlucky for him but Foden should be the first player off the bench, none of this "best English player" and "first name on the team sheet" nonsense.

That's not been the case for the last ten years?

Very silly post.

The teams in the group stage will be more difficult than Iceland. It will be interesting to see what his first choice 11 is for the first game. I still can’t see us beating the best teams sadly eg France. Southgate is out of his depth when it comes to in game tactics.

Okay - so your argument is Arambat isn’t a starter because we can magic up a new player. Fair enough.
No my argument is that he shouldn't be a starter next season due to one game, i.e. we should be looking to replace him. Maguire was one of our best CBs this season, should we be going into next season with him as our number one choice, no. It's a really simple idea and you're being wilfully obtuse. Your view of rewarding mediocrity is exactly why we have stagnated as a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.