England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He plays on the wing because he isn't good enough to play centrally for City. Will be funny when they get someone like Musiala or Wirtz after raving for years about how Foden will eventually stay in the middle.

Unfortunately for him, Saka is a better right winger than him as well. And it's obvious that he's not ideal on the left. You need a fast powerful runner on the left if you have Kane and Saka as the other two forwards. Foden is none of those.

It's unlucky for him but Foden should be the first player off the bench, none of this "best English player" and "first name on the team sheet" nonsense.
Agree that he can't play centrally, disagree that he shouldn't be a starter. I think Saka should play on the left and Foden on the right. Bellingham as a 10. Funnily enough it's the only combination Southgate is yet to try. :lol:

He plays on the wing because he isn't good enough to play centrally for City. Will be funny when they get someone like Musiala or Wirtz after raving for years about how Foden will eventually stay in the middle.

Unfortunately for him, Saka is a better right winger than him as well. And it's obvious that he's not ideal on the left. You need a fast powerful runner on the left if you have Kane and Saka as the other two forwards. Foden is none of those.

It's unlucky for him but Foden should be the first player off the bench, none of this "best English player" and "first name on the team sheet" nonsense.
Erm, remember how he just won the league and was voted pfa player of the year and everything… still not a patch on phenomenal 7 goal jogging rashford thoug. It’s great to have your insight on this forum, enlightening in fact.

I would like to see Wharton and Mainoo as a pair. Rice progresses the ball too slowly and his pass is often abit too conservative

Iceland has roughly the same population as Coventry and half the team plays in the Danish league. Saying it's a meaningless friendly doesn't cut it. While I do think this generation of English players i just a tad overrated, Southgate is a terribly mediocre manager.

Watkins, Bowen and Toney should not be in that squad

The hate against Mainoo has already started. ETH was spot on.

No surprise (sadly), it's what England fans and the media do "best". Big up an English talent and tear him down/critize him almost immediately after that. Happened to Rio, Rooney, Owen, Bellingham, Beckham and the list goes on and on.

Foden is a top player but under a shit coach like Southgate he can't really do much. Southgate needs players who can do something on their own, which is why I was always confused why he didn't put more of a focus in on Rashford. Rashford is the perfect partner for Kane and is the type of player Southgate needs to make things happen on the pitch.

Agree that he can't play centrally, disagree that he shouldn't be a starter. I think Saka should play on the left and Foden on the right. Bellingham as a 10. Funnily enough it's the only combination Southgate is yet to try. :lol:
I agree with this but everyone who calls for it gets shot down because they are all too similar 'creator' types, with no one running in behind, particularly with Kane. Thats bullshit. Play with possession, work it into the box, and tell Kane his focus is to be on getting into scoring positions, as is the job of the guy on the other side to that which the ball is in - or - make space for Jude to run into the box with. It works for Real Madrid when Vini and Rodrigo go wide and play as hybrid wingers allowing space for Bellingham as a 10 but Southgate wont even dare try it.

Yep. Away, from the southgate issue, we need to finally crack how to produce good enough players to actually win a trophy. Because we've been going around in cricles with decades.
Your players are good enough for that, the manager is not. It is quite simple. You need some luck ultimately as well, but Southgate is not a good coach and doesn't know how to implement any sort of modern football structures on or off the ball and so he just relies on a solid core and doing well from set pieces or individuals making something happen on the counter.

There's nothing wrong with picking Foden on the left, but Southgate doesn't know how to use him.

I dont think England will miss someone jogging around, being lazy and someone who runs into straight lines giving away the ball to opposing defenders.
They'll miss rashfords runs in behind and goal threat, and ability to create something out of nothing along with his big game record. Especially since he's the only one who can provide those things to work for Southgate, since Southgate is incapable of coaching anything more than that

You're approaching this from the wrong angle, and no matter how many times I repeat my points, you'll just come back with the same old "he's had a bad season" argument. Yes, I realize that, don't worry. And others who defend Rashford from clueless posters realize that too, don't worry.
It's not just that he's had a bad season - it's that his attitude on the pitch has been utterly appalling. A shell of the player that he once was, a player who was inconsistent and overrated to begin with.

Saka would probably do well on the left, but it tells you a lot about Southgate's squad selection when your best right winger could take the left side and be one of the best options there as well.

I think everyone is overreacting a little. It was poor, but we had the chances to win the game. Palmer and Kane both should have scored and then we'd be discussing a 2-1 win

Erm, remember how he just won the league and was voted pfa player of the year and everything… still not a patch on phenomenal 7 goal jogging rashford thoug. It’s great to have your insight on this forum, enlightening in fact.

Won the league in the best team in the world? He didn't deserve POTY at all as well...not at all. Should not have even been in the top 3. And I wasn't comparing him to Rashford, but yeah, Rashford is clearly better on the left. They shouldn't ever play in each others' positions though so it's a pointless comparison. Rashford should've been going and it's criminal not to take him...whilst the general consensus on here is that it's one of the few decisions Southgate got right. Football knowledge on this forum is just truly a fecking comedy

I would like to see Wharton and Mainoo as a pair. Rice progresses the ball too slowly and his pass is often abit too conservative

He hesitates too much when a pass over the top or through the lines is on and when you hesitate for a split second the window is gone. It was a bit frustrating to watch see Palmer and Gordon make a good run and then think about dinking it over the top and then change his miss and pass it sideways.

He also plays centrally quite a lot but tends to drift in from out wide

Is this wuminator with a secondary account?

I can’t fathom how some can’t grasp the fact that 2 years is a tremendously long time in football. Saying MR was englands best player 2 years ago…counts for absolute nothing where we are today.

Judging by wiminators parameters we should also take Welbeck instead of Kane. He has more trophies so that must mean he’s more capable.

Errrr, no.

Rooney was talking bollocks, an England team “built around” (what does that even mean) Foden isn’t getting out the group

60 caps and top scorer at the last tournament should do though.

Never understood this Southgate attitude of picking someone because they never let us down. (Maguire, Rashford, Pickford, etc)

It's also the same players who haven't won anything, need to take risks and change things up.

Really insipid performance today, but probably a quite valuable reality check. This quality of the squad has been hyped up to high heavens and the last thing we need is the players buying into their own hype. If today isn’t a reality check that there is no substitute for hard work and elite performance levels and mentality, then I don’t know what is.

I think this also opens the door to there being more competition for places. The idea that anyone has their place assured after today, should be right out of the window.

Not yet time to push any panic buttons, but clearly there is a lot of work to be done and a lot of improvement needed. Thing is, international football is a funny old beast. Once the tournament gets going and players get in that hyper competitive mindset, anything can happen. From a meltdown under the pressure, to an instant synergy built by collectively aligned goals.

See you in the tournament.
Iceland isn't in the tournament. Iceland is a shit team. The total value of the entire squad is less than Grealish who doesn't even make the England squad. That's who England lost to.

Really insipid performance today, but probably a quite valuable reality check. This quality of the squad has been hyped up to high heavens and the last thing we need is the players buying into their own hype. If today isn’t a reality check that there is no substitute for hard work and elite performance levels and mentality, then I don’t know what is.

I think this also opens the door to there being more competition for places. The idea that anyone has their place assured after today, should be right out of the window.

Not yet time to push any panic buttons, but clearly there is a lot of work to be done and a lot of improvement needed. Thing is, international football is a funny old beast. Once the tournament gets going and players get in that hyper competitive mindset, anything can happen. From a meltdown under the pressure, to an instant synergy built by collectively aligned goals.

That's the great thing about International tournament football, seeing which teams and players can gel quickly and perform. What the managers see and go with.

England have a lot of puzzle pieces for Southgate.

Just when you needed a Grealish or Maddison….

Oh FFS we are gonna hear this until England are knocked out, go on why not just throw Rashford in there for good measure too while you're at it

Really wish Southgate sorry Holland would have sorted out issue with White, haven't a clue what Tomori ever did to upset him either. I understand Colwill as he's injured but will never get picking Dunk over Branthwaite.

Last edited:
He hesitates too much when a pass over the top or through the lines is on and when you hesitate for a split second the window is gone. It was a bit frustrating to watch see Palmer and Gordon make a good run and then think about dinking it over the top and then change his miss and pass it sideways.
Rice's hesitation frustrated teammates quite abit yesterday. Too many times they were in good position instead of pass it to them he did a couple of touches. The moment was gone then he passed sideway. Just not very useful in the attack. I mean I do like to eat rice but I prefer fast food in this case.

He was too darn slow with passing the ball, even Gallagher is better than him in that aspect.

I don’t think that’s Rice job to make those kind of passes.

I don’t think that’s Rice job to make those kind of passes.
That is a classic excuse "it's not my job". You keep the ball unnecessarily long you kill the attack. The split second makes a difference. Gallagher was better in the other match. That match was better in term of passing when Rice did not play.

I’ve lived in and really enjoyed England for the best part of 3 years now because of how brilliant the people have been to me. Whenever I’ve needed any help, it feels as if it’s always come my way.

However, I can never fully, if at all at times, get behind the England team because I think a lot of England fans and the English media reflect the worst, most racist part of the country. We’ve seen what happened after the Euros final in 2021, and last night, Saka and more importantly — for no other reason than it hitting closer to home for us Reds — Mainoo were made scapegoats for the loss. We’ve all seen the articles from Jason Burt and Jacob Steinberg and deep down, we know exactly what they are even though I can’t really write it here without fortified evidence.

I reckon if you talked to most of the match going United contingent, who I’ve been extremely fortunate to be a part of a few times, the majority would tell you that they don’t give two hoots about England, and rightly so.

I’ve lived in and really enjoyed England for the best part of 3 years now because of how brilliant the people have been to me. Whenever I’ve needed any help, it feels as if it’s always come my way.

However, I can never fully, if at all at times, get behind the England team because I think a lot of England fans and the English media reflect the worst, most racist part of the country. We’ve seen what happened after the Euros final in 2021, and last night, Saka and more importantly — for no other reason than it hitting closer to home for us Reds — Mainoo were made scapegoats for the loss. We’ve all seen the articles from Jason Burt and Jacob Steinberg and deep down, we know exactly what they are even though I can’t really write it here without fortified evidence.

I reckon if you talked to most of the match going United contingent, who I’ve been extremely fortunate to be a part of a few times, the majority would tell you that they don’t give two hoots about England, and rightly so.

That's their decision but however much we are being hammered by the media and players scapegoated I can't turn my back on the country

That's their decision but however much we are being hammered by the media and players scapegoated I can't turn my back on the country
Fair play. I’d never expect you to stop supporting England as an Englishman. However, I completely understand why so many other England fans are growing or already disillusioned with the national team.

I bet you this isn't true. I'm sure most would privilege united over England, but I'm also sure that most will be watching the majority tournaments and along for the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.