England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a great setup for Rashford with Iceland so deep, but yeah like 5/10 players are in the same #10 spot really, and Bellingham isn't even on the field.

I think Grealish would have made difference today.
That’s always been the been the problem with Southgate’s England - a lack of plan B when plan A isn’t working. Well we do have players on the bench who are plan B, but they’re basically just plan A only not good enough to start rather than anything different.

But playing Gordon when you have Rashford and Grealish is insane to me.

Nah. Rashford's form and attitude has been shit for 90% of this season, so he doesn't deserve to be included. Can't have him there on past glories. Grealish should be there as a bit of a wildcard, but I think Southgate sees him like Hoddle did with Gazza in 98.

Gordon deserves his place.

The problem with England (at times) and with friendlies in particular, is that a lot of these players don't take them club form into the national team.

England need Trent in there honestly, he's one of the best players in the world at creating from the RW. I think with Shaw you can accommodate him fine but without Shaw, playing Trippier LB and Trent RB is suicide.

They also need a guy who can get in behind. It reminds me of Arsenal of the yesteryear with Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere, Ramsey, Giroud all playing tippy tappy football infront of the defence with noone really getting in behind. They should've taken Rashford for the tactical flexibility he offers.

I’ll be surprised if we even get out of our group. This is shit. Keep Southgate away from my club. Absolutely rubbish manager.

Games crying out for one player to step up and have a shot, from anywhere to gain some momentum.

Nah. Rashford's form and attitude has been shit for 90% of this season, so he doesn't deserve to be included. Can't have him there on past glories. Grealish should be there as a bit of a wildcard, but I think Southgate sees him like Hoddle did with Gazza in 98.

Gordon deserves his place.

The problem with England (at times) and with friendlies in particular, is that a lot of these players don't take them club form into the national team.

Rashford was top scorer last tournament. If your problem is sometimes people don’t play for England - why is your solution dropping a player who plays well for England?

Rashford is class and went through bad form. Other countries don’t drop lads like that - they back them into form. Especially when they regularly do it. Gordon is a nothing player in a nothing team.

So easy to get past our backline. Southgate is a terrorist.

Sometimes games happen where a team sneaks a goal against the odds and hold on…this isnt that game Iceland have comfortably been the better side England look shite

Sometimes games happen where a team sneaks a goal against the odds and hold on…this isnt that game Iceland have comfortably been the better side England look shite
Like the game on Monday, it was hard work, but we were patient and got the result in the end. Trouble is tonight we have given them something to hold onto.

It’s a friendly so you can sort of accept this.

But playing Gordon when you have Rashford and Grealish is insane to me.
Let's not rewrite things here from this season, Rashford is rightly not in the squad for being utterly crap all season.

Let's not rewrite things here from this season, Rashford is rightly not in the squad for being utterly crap all season.

Doesn’t matter. He’s been very good. He was decent in the final recently.

He’s clearly a great player who has not been at his best. He’s still class and has still been an important player for United.

His bad form is overblown.

This has been laughable bad. The manager is shite and the players are over rated. Dire times ahead. Hopefully, after they crash out of the Euro's one part of that problem will be fixed.

Will Foden have a good game for England before he retires?

England need Trent in there honestly, he's one of the best players in the world at creating from the RW. I think with Shaw you can accommodate him fine but without Shaw, playing Trippier LB and Trent RB is suicide.

They also need a guy who can get in behind. It reminds me of Arsenal of the yesteryear with Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere, Ramsey, Giroud all playing tippy tappy football infront of the defence with noone really getting in behind. They should've taken Rashford for the tactical flexibility he offers.

Any team that can score 1st just needs to sit nicely and compact and we just keep trying to play through the middle getting nowhere.

Whoever said plan B is just a slightly worse version of plan A is spot on, not many legitimate changes if we need to get a breakthrough.

Fair play to Iceland. Playing very well today and missing some important players.

Iceland have basically dominated the last 15 mins. Since Southgate made all the subs.

Rashford was top scorer last tournament. If your problem is sometimes people don’t play for England - why is your solution dropping a player who plays well for England?

Rashford is class and went through bad form. Other countries don’t drop lads like that - they back them into form. Especially when they regularly do it. Gordon is a nothing player in a nothing team.
Southgate kept selecting and playing Maguire right through his darkest days for United, when he became a meme and a global laughing stock. But then Rashford was never really one of Southgate’s guys like Maguire was.

Southgate kept selecting and playing Maguire right through his darkest days for United, when he became a meme and a global laughing stock. But then Rashford was never really one of Southgate’s guys like Maguire was.

Maguire is England’s second best centre back and deserved to play.

England have been crap. Defence is really poor too. I think the best bet with this squad is to play the 5 at the back and have Trent as a RWB.

I'm sure I hadn't heard the fecking England band for quite a while, but I can hear the cnuts now playing God Save the King. Get flashbacks to numerous shite England displays accompanied by that din. Hope they get banned from the stadiums in Germany.

Doesn’t matter. He’s been very good. He was decent in the final recently.

He’s clearly a great player who has not been at his best. He’s still class and has still been an important player for United.

His bad form is overblown.
It most definitely does matter. His bad form is definitely not overblown, but apart from that his attitude has stunk the place out all season.

Players who have played like Rashford has all season should not be rewarded with a place with their national team at a big tournament.

Curiously, are you a Utd fan? Have you watched much of us the last 12 months? If so you’d have noticed how diabolical MR has been and given the form of others (in the squad) he was rightly dropped.

he can’t live off past ‘glories’ from 2 years ago

People overreacting, a few days away from a tournament, no-one is going all out.

Why is Toney in the squad? He's scored 4 goals in 17 games this season.

For national teams, it is often beneficial to lose a friendly just before the big tournament.

This is what happens when you drop Gallagher btw. Just so you all know ;)

Curiously, are you a Utd fan? Have you watched much of us the last 12 months? If so you’d have noticed how diabolical MR has been and given the form of others (in the squad) he was rightly dropped.

he can’t live off past ‘glories’ from 2 years ago

He literally played well in the FA Cup final a few weeks ago - starting a move that won us the game with an insane ball.

Against a country with the population the size of a small town this is a bit silly...

Status
Not open for further replies.