England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we actually gunna do at CB? Stones and Guehi? Shite that.

There is also context that needs to be applied. Maguire, like Pickford were 1st players since 2018 WC and have been regular starters, not really letting England down. Which is why Southgate decided to stay loyal to Maguire. Also, there were no CB's that were pushing him.

With Grealish, he has never been a regular starter for England under Southgate. Gealish wants the ball to his feet too.

If Foden can start for Cirty over Grealish, he can do that for England too.

I don’t think I said anything about Grealish? His ass was rightfully sent home, and quite frankly I hardly rate him for City as well.

Maguire was just an example of someone that still was a 1st choice starter even when his club form was diabolical. Could probably find similar examples in plenty of NT’s over the years.

Maguire will be a huge miss. He's been decent defensively for England and without him you take away some of the threat we have around set-pieces.

BUT, for me it's time for someone else to step up and take his place away from him, probably for good. I suppose though that Southgate will play Walker instead and we'll have one of the quickest centre backs at the Euros.

Maguire will be a huge miss. He's been decent defensively for England and without him you take away some of the threat we have around set-pieces.

BUT, for me it's time for someone else to step up and take his place away from him, probably for good. I suppose though that Southgate will play Walker instead and we'll have one of the quickest centre backs at the Euros.

Just look back to last Euros when he didn't play until later in the tournament, clearly this is a worst injury issue than the one in 2021 unfortunately. Southgate probably desperately wanted to give me that chance again but Harry knew it wasn't viable.

Self-sabotage Southgate. I was initially rooting for England, but now that's at least 3 big comical mistakes from him in leaving Rashford, Maguire and Maddison out. 2 of them United players as well. Maybe he'll leave one or both of Mainoo and Gordon out and then the full on hatewatch can begin :drool:
How is leaving Rashford out a comical mistake?

They are just looking for a reaction, Maddison had a poor season, Rashford shouldn't have tried coasting through games and Maguire clearly wasn't fit enough to be risked this time.

I've discussed this several times on here by now. It's all about profiles, game-states and the inability to change things up from the bench if you just stack up players who share the same strengths. Rashford is England's biggest transitional threat, a true PnP monster left winger, and very importantly a runner, whose qualities are invaluable in certain game-states, especially in international football where tactics don't matter as much as they do in club football. The only true left winger who offers some of these qualities I've just listed is Gordon, a very good but inferior profile to Rashford. Taking only one player whose natural position is left winger, whilst leaving your best one at home, but taking several rotational players who will barely get any minutes and they offer the same things as your starters is criminal. Especially when you have Kane as your striker, who can ping in balls behind defences like De Bruyne or Bruno. Rashford is the perfect left winger for this squad, and I'm not even trusting Southgate to at least start Gordon in place of him now that he's been left at home.

They are just looking for a reaction, Maddison had a poor season, Rashford shouldn't have tried coasting through games and Maguire clearly wasn't fit enough to be risked this time.

Or maybe that's just surface-level nonsense that everyone keeps repeating when I talk about Rashford, and if you delve deeper into things, you realize that it's a bit more complicated than "x is better than y" and "x had a better season than y". Let's hope the deadly trio of Foden, Saka, and Bellingham will win it for you with 0 pace and just pass-pass-pass, desperately waiting for someone to run in behind the defense. Will be laughing my ass off when England look toothless in a big game vs France, Germany or Portugal and they'll be missing the exact things that Rashford would provide for them.

Just watched that Hellman's Euro 2024 ad with Grealish - awkward!

On what planet does Branthwaite make the squad? He's a big liability.

Dunk is better on the ball (although still questionable under a press) but in terms of defensive work he's horrendous. Incredibly low percentile for anything related to actual defensive actions. Of course you can argue he's a more passive CB and relies on positioning/a more aggressive partner, but essentially we already have that in Stones who is the best CB in the world other than maybe Bastoni at progressing play. Branthwaite makes errors but he is relatively quick, very dominant aerially and is in a high percentile for all defensive actions and stronger aerially.

We will miss Maguire's aerial presence from attacking and defensive set pieces this tournament, Branthwaite was a much better option to replace this than Dunk. Guehi is terrible aerially.

Grealish, who has been even worse than Rashford this season.

60 caps for England "just a big name"
Right now, yes. You're obviously clinging onto past performances and clearly can not see how bad of a season he had.

I've discussed this several times on here by now. It's all about profiles, game-states and the inability to change things up from the bench if you just stack up players who share the same strengths. Rashford is England's biggest transitional threat, a true PnP monster left winger, and very importantly a runner, whose qualities are invaluable in certain game-states, especially in international football where tactics don't matter as much as they do in club football. The only true left winger who offers some of these qualities I've just listed is Gordon, a very good but inferior profile to Rashford. Taking only one player whose natural position is left winger, whilst leaving your best one at home, but taking several rotational players who will barely get any minutes and they offer the same things as your starters is criminal. Especially when you have Kane as your striker, who can ping in balls behind defences like De Bruyne or Bruno. Rashford is the perfect left winger for this squad, and I'm not even trusting Southgate to at least start Gordon in place of him now that he's been left at home.

Or maybe that's just surface-level nonsense that everyone keeps repeating when I talk about Rashford, and if you delve deeper into things, you realize that it's a bit more complicated than "x is better than y" and "x had a better season than y". Let's hope the deadly trio of Foden, Saka, and Bellingham will win it for you with 0 pace and just pass-pass-pass, desperately waiting for someone to run in behind the defense. Will be laughing my ass off when England look toothless in a big game vs France, Germany or Portugal and they'll be missing the exact things that Rashford would provide for them.
I dont think England will miss someone jogging around, being lazy and someone who runs into straight lines giving away the ball to opposing defenders.

I dont think England will miss someone jogging around, being lazy and someone who runs into straight lines giving away the ball to opposing defenders.

You're approaching this from the wrong angle, and no matter how many times I repeat my points, you'll just come back with the same old "he's had a bad season" argument. Yes, I realize that, don't worry. And others who defend Rashford from clueless posters realize that too, don't worry.

People often ignores current form and stick to brand name to argue that this or that big name player should play. Player's physical and mental state can change over the years or months. An example is our own player Rashford. This season he has been distracted and his performance has gone off because of that. Perhaps too much money to spend after a nice juicy new contract that affects his mental state and subsequently physical state.

Southgate making the call based on current form and current ability of players makes a lot of sense. In the past, he was "loyal" to the old guards and people complained about that too. But this time he made the right call.

You're approaching this from the wrong angle, and no matter how many times I repeat my points, you'll just come back with the same old "he's had a bad season" argument. Yes, I realize that, don't worry. And others who defend Rashford from clueless posters realize that too, don't worry.
Quite ironical

Today line up:
ENGLAND XI: Ramsdale; Walker, Stone, Guehi, Tripper; Rice, Mainoo; Foden, Palmer, Gordon; Kane. SUBS: Pickford, Henderson, Trafford, Gomez, Quansah, Konsa, Gallagher, Toney, Watkins, Alexander-Arnold, Bowen, Eze, Wharton, Saka.
Looking like Southgate picks his 1st choice line up today with the only one missing, Bellingham

Gordon is in the squad, he's rapid, works his ass off out of possession and had a great season totting up 21 g/a in the league. We have speed on the other side in Bowen if we need it, Saka isn't a slouch, Bellingham is a very powerful runner with the ball and Foden is extremely fast over a short distance. You're acting like we have slouches in the forward roles when we don't. There is lots of pace in the team. Had Rashford had an even halfway acceptable season he was a guarantee, but he didn't and there was no fair way to justify him being in the team.

Has Saka participated in anything yet ? Missed the last game of the season, not on the bench in the first game. If he's an unused sub tonight, might be a worry.
In any way i think your tournament is dead with that set of defenders, whatever formula Southgate picks.

Looks like the likely first choice side bar Palmer in for saka, but moving Foden inside due to no Bellingham so Gordon comes in on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.