England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grealish's form this season has been mediocre. Pep prefers both Doku and Foden for a good reason. Both Gordon and Eze have had a great season, name another pair of LW that is better than them in other national teams? In addition, Palmer can also play there since his left foot is just amazing, but Southgate might have a plan for him to back up Bellingham and Saka.

Overall, both England's wings are superb, I think these are their strongest area. Their CBs and LB are questionable though.

I wouldn't say mediocre, he was playing regularly earlier on in the season and was often preferred to Doku. Only towards the end was Doku seen as having the better season. Foden plays central for City.

I like Gordon and Eze, but they are very untested. Personally for me I wanted Grealish to start in the world cup (he didn't, looked good in the few minutes he got against France), and I still wanted him to start here. He's the most natural LW England have - can hold the ball up, dribble past a player, win a free kick, and assist and score (though those have been rarer since he left Villa). I do think Gordon can get there in terms of being a great player - I rated him highly when he was at Everton - but he's still young and I'm not sure he's there yet. We'll see.

The luxury with England’s attack is that if someone isn’t performing there are solid alternatives like Palmer, Eze, Bowen.
The defence is a worry now. If Shaw isn’t fit then Southgate is missing him and Maguire, two of his most reliable players in recent years. The alternatives are average.

Yeah but as we saw against France in the world cup, Southgate waited until the 80th minute to make a sub, and even then he took Saka off (our best player) for Sterling. Gave Rashford and Grealish a few minutes between them. I wouldn't trust Southgate to make good in game substitutions.

Just listening to his conference and he's as contradictory as ever in it.

Talks about inexperience over experience because of the inexperienced players doing better than the experienced players in the second half of the season but then says Branthwaite isn't ready? Makes absolute no sense. He's got more goals over the past two season than any of the other CB options, was individually better than Dunk/Guehi this season and was part of one of the best defences in the league this season. :lol:

Last edited:
I've said all season that there is more to the Rashford form that people give credit.

I don't believe he is lazy, and he is not 'shite' either. This has all the hallmarks of someone struggling off the field, whatever that may be.

The fact southgate didn't even bring him to the camp at all reinforced that for me. Because he would know about those kind of issues, even if we do not.

I wouldn't say mediocre, he was playing regularly earlier on in the season and was often preferred to Doku. Only towards the end was Doku seen as having the better season. Foden plays central for City.

I like Gordon and Eze, but they are very untested. Personally for me I wanted Grealish to start in the world cup (he didn't, looked good in the few minutes he got against France), and I still wanted him to start here. He's the most natural LW England have - can hold the ball up, dribble past a player, win a free kick, and assist and score (though those have been rarer since he left Villa). I do think Gordon can get there in terms of being a great player - I rated him highly when he was at Everton - but he's still young and I'm not sure he's there yet. We'll see.

Yeah but as we saw against France in the world cup, Southgate waited until the 80th minute to make a sub, and even then he took Saka off (our best player) for Sterling. Gave Rashford and Grealish a few minutes between them. I wouldn't trust Southgate to make good in game substitutions.
Not mediocre? Grealish stats has been very poor this season. I mean just look at it, much poorer than Rashford who is not even get called. Grealish plays for the best team surrounded by better teammates and yet his stats is the poorest among the competing wingers.

He has been a highly rated player but his current form is just not good enough to compete against a team with such better wing forwards atm. Pep definitely made a mistake with letting Palmer leave over Grealish.

Southgate f*kd up and we won't win the Euros.

1. You cant let go of Maguire & then chuck away Brantwaithe. This shows that he doesnt care about a left footed CB. Even if Maguire made it, Brantwaithe should still have been taken for being rhe best left footed CB England has.

2. The left side of the pitch
Defensively - Shaw is our only fullback, someone else should have come even if it was from the championship like Davis from Ipswich town.
You can't not pick both Rashford & Grealish. We look very unbalanced on the left side of the pitch. Not a single player's main role is LW be that foden or eze.
I can understand not taking both, but you've got to take one just as back up atleast.

Taking watkins & Toney both together are also poor decisions.

Toney should have been good enough because he is similair to Kane.

Dunk out for Brantwaithe
Watkins out for Rashford or Grealish
Colwill or Chillwell or Davis at LB.

Just listening to his conference and he's as contradictory as ever in it.

Talks about inexperience over experience because of the inexperienced players doing better than the experienced players in the second half of the season but then says Branthwaite isn't ready? Makes absolute no sense. He's got more goals over the past two season than any of the other CB options, was individually better than Dunk/Guehi this season and was part of one of the best defences in the league this season. :lol:

Because goals from a CB is definitely the metric that matters when selecting who you want to take.

Because goals from a CB is definitely the metric that matters when selecting who you want to take.

Yeah, it's one of the metrics that does matter nowadays given how important set pieces have become and when your main set piece threat (Maguire) is out. Didn't bother mentioning the other metrics as Branthwaite has just been better than Dunk/Guehi this season.

Last edited:
Big mistake not taking Grealish. He’d have been a realistic option on the bench, even out of form he‘s a player who can turn a game in a second.

There's just too many attacking players. Very few left backs/ left footed centre halfs and holding midfielders. I agree with not bringing Rashford and Grealish, poor seasons + baggage, they get a lot of media attention, good decision.
The back 5 isn't great apart from Walker.

I can’t honestly believe that people are arguing that Rashford should have gone. The likes of Bowen, Eze and Gordon have had great seasons and the likes of Foden and Palmer are on another planet.

There is no way that choice wouldn’t have been criticized and there is no real argument as to why he should have gone ahead of any of those players.

He has been awful and, as someone who cares much more about United, I hope it’s the wake up call/rest that he needs to get back to his best.

Have seen a suggestion in this thread that Bowen can't function outside of West Ham system, also seen people sticking the boot into Gordon going over Grealish.

Yeah, it's one of the metrics that does matter nowadays given how important set pieces have become and when your main set piece threat (Maguire) is out. Didn't bother mentioning the other metrics as Branthwaite has just been better than Dunk/Guehi this season.

Because what you've written after that is subjective and your opinion. there's nothing to address. you think he was better, southgate obviously doesnt.

Because what you've written after that is subjective and your opinion. there's nothing to address. you think he was better, southgate obviously doesnt.

It's the opinion of the majority of people and pundits seemingly, using the analysis of data and the eye test.

Dunk over Branthwaite is the one flaw from me regarding the chosen squad.

Yeah don't buy into him not being ready, particularly can't understand it because there is so little left sided defensive options in squad

Big mistake not taking Grealish. He’d have been a realistic option on the bench, even out of form he‘s a player who can turn a game in a second.

I think it was a brilliant decision. Players like Gordon, Fodem, Bowen offer alot more than keeping the ball and passing it backward.

Only choice I disagree with is dunk over Branthwaite.
The problem may come when Southgate waits until the 80th minute of a game we are losing to make any changes. But that can’t be helped right now.
We all better hope that shaw comes back lean and on form. Which is certainly a risk he doesn’t based on previous injuries he’s had

Agreed. He's great at winning FKs too. A different dynamic that can be brought on off the bench.

Yeah that's a valid point, you just know when Gordon, Bowen or Eze come on and miss a chance all we will hear is Grealish takes that or wins FK

Southgate f*kd up and we won't win the Euros.

1. You cant let go of Maguire & then chuck away Brantwaithe. This shows that he doesnt care about a left footed CB. Even if Maguire made it, Brantwaithe should still have been taken for being rhe best left footed CB England has.

2. The left side of the pitch
Defensively - Shaw is our only fullback, someone else should have come even if it was from the championship like Davis from Ipswich town.
You can't not pick both Rashford & Grealish. We look very unbalanced on the left side of the pitch. Not a single player's main role is LW be that foden or eze.
I can understand not taking both, but you've got to take one just as back up atleast.

Taking watkins & Toney both together are also poor decisions.

Toney should have been good enough because he is similair to Kane.

Dunk out for Brantwaithe
Watkins out for Rashford or Grealish
Colwill or Chillwell or Davis at LB.

I know I'm very much in the minority of people happy he's taken both strikers, both Rashford and Grealish make squad if they had better seasons

I think it was a brilliant decision. Players like Gordon, Fodem, Bowen offer alot more than keeping the ball and passing it backward.
Obviously Foden was a 100% certainty to go ….Bowen and Gordon much less so. Not sure Bowen or Gordon will get played …even less so Bowen?

Even out of form, Grealish would make a very realistic bench option if England needed to pull a goal from somewhere and as previously reminded he’s very good at getting free kicks.

It‘s a long tournament, so it would have been good to have Grealish around the camp with his playful manner and humour ….something Southgate seriously lacks.

Wait - people are complaining about not taking Graelish? This the same Graelish people have spent the past 3 years mocking, who's coming off a pretty bad season?

Can turn a game in a moment? Really? When's the last he done that?

The only reason Graelish made sense over Eze/Gordon is that he's great defensively. That's it.

Maguire is a huge miss. Not sure who partners Stones now? Guehi or Konsa?

Not fussed about Grealish. Plenty of better players in that position. Still think Rashford should've gone though, he's had a poor season but don't think there's anyone that offers what he does coming off the bench.
Rashford isn't offering much from the bench either.

He showed none of that during last season and you just cant hope for him to magically turn up in a major tournament.

Also sets a bad precedent that regardless of how shit you are, you can get picked because you were good at some point in your career. I would take players based on merit as they deserve it more and are in better form. They are far more likely to create something than players who have done feck all in last 12 months.

The counter to that is Maguire himself, who was still first choice for Southgate even during the period where he was a weekly embarrassment and comedy show. National team form can often differ from club form (both for better and for worse)

Anyways I’m not disagreeing with you, yes players should be taken on merit. All I’m saying is there’s a pretty clear hole in the squad profile wise without Rashford being available, and filling it with yet another winger that wants the ball played into his feet doesnt really change that.

Bollocks to he isn’t very good. Had a great season last year but suffered an injury this year and AC Milan has a whole including him have been inconsistent. Hopefully will force his way back.
Nah, he really isn't very good. He had a great spell briefly playing next to Kalulu - who is actually great, when fit - otherwise, he's very fast and plays with a lot of confidence but he's very mistake prone and relies too much on his pace and strenght, doesn't read play particularly well nor is he particularly tactically disciplined and positionally sound.

I mean he's a good player, just not somebody who should make england team easily. Don't think he's worse than the guys called up, but then I don't think he's better either. Maguire and Stones are good, beyond them England really doesn't have much though. Branthwaite, Quansah and Colwill better come good or CB will be a real problem going forward

Dunk over Branthwaite doesn't make much sense to me either

That said unless he plans to actually start Dunk, I don't see the big issue honestly

With a lot of the defenders I think context is important. Tomori playing in Italy. I get very nervous when we buy players from teams there, so I can see why there would be caution. I think Chalobah is better … and so did Chelsea. Then again I think Chalobah is better than Guehi as well

I don’t get the hype with Branthwaite. When I have seen him in situations where he was t packed in with teammates 3 ft to each side of him he has been cooked like fried eggs. The image of Palmer nutmegging him twice in the same sequence, and Branthwaite literally turning a full circle in confusion, will stick in my mind any time he’s brought up.

If you want a really big dude that can defend with lots of help around him, then you take maguire … who frankly plays pretty well on international duty

CB’s and LB definitely make me the most nervous when it comes to England though.

I expected Colwill to be healthy and match fit for this tournament, so that’s disappointing.

The counter to that is Maguire himself, who was still first choice for Southgate even during the period where he was a weekly embarrassment and comedy show. National team form can often differ from club form (both for better and for worse)

Anyways I’m not disagreeing with you, yes players should be taken on merit. All I’m saying is there’s a pretty clear hole in the squad profile wise without Rashford being available, and filling it with yet another winger that wants the ball played into his feet doesnt really change that.

There is also context that needs to be applied. Maguire, like Pickford were 1st players since 2018 WC and have been regular starters, not really letting England down. Which is why Southgate decided to stay loyal to Maguire. Also, there were no CB's that were pushing him.

With Grealish, he has never been a regular starter for England under Southgate. Gealish wants the ball to his feet too.

If Foden can start for Cirty over Grealish, he can do that for England too.

Status
Not open for further replies.