England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rashford/Grealish not being in the squad and Toney being there.

Weird

Rashford has been bad TBF. Graelish hasn't been good either.

Toney is there in case Kane is injured, then we have two options to replace him. I think it's the right call. I'm a huge Southgate critic, but think he's got it mainly right this time round.

Think the left side of attack lacks threat, it's not Eze's natural position but he is excellent and I view Gordon being standoffish under the pressure of the tournament. ...

Based off what? Gordon was player of the tournament just last summer in an international tournment. It will be a major shock if he doesn't carry that form into this one if given a chance. Even of this one is at senior level....

I agree. I'm not a fan of Dunk (or Branthwaite from what little I have seen) but I kinda get wanting an older player in there.

Some pretty surprising (and good) decisions for me, leaving out some big names and picking Eze and Wharton.

Somebody should have got Southgate a subscription to Serie A though, Loftus-Cheek was playing really well last season and didn't get a chance and I think Tomori is better than almost all the CBs in the squad.
Southgate and staff clearly just don't rate Tomori. For reasons best known to them.

Feels like I've had to argue this point dozens of times with my mates but are we just going to pretend that the 2021 Germany side were really shit?
That crossed my mind when posting. That was a legit win. As almost always happens, then. Southgate is useless. If it gets the Utd job you should all stop watching football. Watch cricket, instead.

Generally pleasantly surprised by Southgate here as I wasn't expecting good choices to be made. Nevertheless, I can see Dunk over Braithwaite coming back to bite us in the ass, as Dunk is a bit horrific under pressure and the other CBs are prone to injury.

I also would have taken Grealish, though that one is more understandable with so much competition. He is good under pressure though, great option off the bench and always causes defenders problems. Would be harsh, but I think Bowen should be the one to make way, There's already 3 better quality left-footed attackers in the squad in Saka, Foden and Palmer.

That crossed my mind when posting. That was a legit win. As almost always happens, then. Southgate is useless. If it gets the Utd job you should all stop watching football. Watch cricket, instead.
I agree with almost everything you said there apart from the cricket part.

It not stupid if you consider in tournaments attackers are more likely to get injured, are easier to rotate and give you the biggest chance of advancing in each round as options off your bench.

How many players is he rotating, 7 or 8 attackers should have been sufficient as quite a few of them can play in multiple positions. I would argue another defender was essential.

It’s generally a great squad however a lot will come down to in match tactics by Southgate especially during the knockout stages and I still have very limited faith he will come up trumps in that department. I’m hopefully wrong.

Rashford has been bad TBF. Graelish hasn't been good either.

Toney is there in case Kane is injured, then we have two options to replace him. I think it's the right call. I'm a huge Southgate critic, but think he's got it mainly right this time round.

Yes. Me too.

There was a Mark Bowen who used to play for West Ham
Oh yeah that’s what it is then, thought it rang a bell. Still a bit disrespectful to Jasper Bowen that he got his name wrong.

I heard we were favourites, or something.

On what planet should we be favourites?

Outside of the first team we're very thin in midfield and our CBs are meh.

how many teams that win it or the world cup are truly stacked in every single position? you’ll need some of the lesser players in the squad to have the tournaments of their lives and some of the big names to turn up. we’re more than capable, personnel wise to do that.

my concern with the squad southgate’s picked is that it looks like we can only play one way and the depth is there for like for like (but worse) replacements, but not options you’d necessarily bring off the bench if you were desperate for a goal.

how many teams that win it or the world cup are truly stacked in every single position? you’ll need some of the lesser players in the squad to have the tournaments of their lives and some of the big names to turn up. we’re more than capable, personnel wise to do that.

my concern with the squad southgate’s picked is that it looks like we can only play one way and the depth is there for like for like (but worse) replacements, but not options you’d necessarily bring off the bench if you were desperate for a goal.

I just don't see why we are considered favourites. Are the other country's squads equally thin, or something?

And stop sensible posting, it's scaring me.

I heard we were favourites, or something.

On what planet should we be favourites?

Outside of the first team we're very thin in midfield and our CBs are meh.

It's thin in terms of numbers, but how many midfielders do you actually need over the Euros? The first choice three is probably Rice-Mainoo-Bellingham. That exudes quality in a way England midfields rarely do, and then you have Saka-Kane-Foden just ahead of them, also high on technical ability.

Gallagher, TAA and Wharton as back ups. England have had worse players to come in and do a job. Wharton is inexperienced but hugely impressive from what I've seen of him. TAA everyone knows about and he can also play RB. Gallagher is not highly rated on here but he's still pretty useful to have around.

Yeah, the defence is a worry. Stones is fine but not sure about any of his potential partners.

I just don't see why we are considered favourites. Are the other country's squads equally thin, or something?

And stop sensible posting, it's scaring me.

this is supposedly france’s midfield according to four four two;

kante
camavinga
rabiot
zaire-emery
fofana
tchouameni

wouldn’t say it’s remarkably stronger than ours on paper;

trent trenter-trenterson
gallagher
bellingham
rice
wharton
mainoo
eze

there is a concern about the defence, but argentina won a world cup with romero and otamendi starting.

I'm yet to get totally invested in the Euros.

Part of it is I don't like the manager and most of our players.

If we start playing decent football, I might start to get more excited.

What I don't get is why the squad has been announced before the final warm up game.

Tournament experience?

He's been good for England, 1 in 3 off the wing is not to be sniffed at.
Say what you want about Southgate, but thank feck he doesn't live in the past like United fans. It's quite right he's not taken Rashford based on form this season

Tournament experience?

He's been good for England, 1 in 3 off the wing is not to be sniffed at.
England have enough on the wing, so Toney is like-for-like for Kane not Rashford.

And would certainly take Saka, Foden, Bowen, Gordon or Palmer over Rashford at the moment!

It’s bizarre how that defence looks really weak without Harry Maguire, especially with the question mark over Shaw’s fitness.

Then add Trent’s lack of experience as an out and out CM at this level, Mainoo’s freshness in the men’s game along with Wharton who is new to this.

Yeah Portugal and France are absolutely more set to win it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if England struggle to make the quarters. This feels very different to WC2018 when it all the new faces and fresh approach just kind of clicked.

But given the amount of fresh faces in this squad, I’m excited to see if they can make a name for themselves.

Mainoo has already shown he belongs in the mens game. he taken every test hes faced in his stride. he's young, but hes shown hes more than capable and ready. id start him personally.

England have enough on the wing, so Toney is like-for-like for Kane not Rashford.

And would certainly take Saka, Foden, Bowen, Gordon or Palmer over Rashford at the moment!

They have one left winger in the whole squad, you can list all the attackers you want

The only like for like there is Gordon who is completely untetsed.

Not at all. That's what the post was about, living in the past.

He's 26, hardly over the hill and clearly a dip in form at club level.

Similar to the dips in form of Grealish and Maddison and they were selected in the origanal 33 with a chnace to impress.

Rashford would have been very handy off the bench as he was last tournament.

Bowen sucks outside of the west ham setup and Gordon a complete unknown. I would've taken Rashford as an option off the bench as long as he's fully fit.

He's 26, hardly over the hill and clearly a dip in form at club level.

Similar to the dips in form of Grealish and Maddison and they were selected in the origanal 33 with a chnace to impress.

Rashford would have been very handy off the bench as he was last tournament.
Do you agree or disagree that the players picked had better season than Rashford?

Mainoo has already shown he belongs in the mens game. he taken every test hes faced in his stride. he's young, but hes shown hes more than capable and ready. id start him personally.
He’s obviously done fantastically well, but that doesn’t take away from the challenge of doing it with a completely different group of players, a different play style and a different coach for England.

There is an argument to start Wharton now the defensive unit is weaker.

Southgate has to make the decision whether to line up with flair or try something a bit more methodical. You can argue both ways, there is no right answer here imo, the proof will come from the execution of either approach.

I think Rashford has been poor for us this season , I don't think I'd be too bothered if we sold him .

That said , id have definitely took to the euros as an option .

Even if he didnt play a minute . Having the option of blistering pace in knockout rounds is a option id rather have than not .

Status
Not open for further replies.