England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wharton and Mainoo’s rise has been pretty crazy. Wonder how much the former will be worth after this tournament.

Glad Wharton has gone but I can see him becoming a mainstay and unfortunately at the expense of Kobbie.

Southgate actually making necessary decisions is a bit surprising.

I do not understand how you imagine Saka, Bellingham in his current incarnation, even Bowen, Eze (stars of two of the best EPL counter attacking units of the past few seasons) and Palmer are not pure threats in transition. That you only count Gordon as one.

Counter attacks are not the same as transitions.

Considering only 3 from Bowen, Eze, Foden, Gordon, Kane, Palmer, Saka, Toney and Watkins can play and a further 3 for subs to take 9 players for 3 positions is stupid when other areas are lacking depth.

It not stupid if you consider in tournaments attackers are more likely to get injured, are easier to rotate and give you the biggest chance of advancing in each round as options off your bench.

Only disagreement I have is Branthwaite not going, think he had a strongest season out of all the center backs.

Gallagher will start ahead of Mainoo and Wharton.

Nah, I can't imagine an England first XI without Mainoo. A bigger question is Trent, I think.

If Shaw is not fit enough, who is playing left back?

Nah, I can't imagine an England first XI without Mainoo. A bigger question is Trent, I think.

If Shaw is not fit enough, who is playing left back?
Trippier, with Gomez as third choice I imagine

Isn't Wharton more of a DM (so a backup to Rice in this squad?). If I were to build a 3 it's DM (Rice / Wharton) + #8 (Mainoo / Gallagher) + #10 (Bellingham / Eze). The Trent in midfield thing needs to end and he needs to go play RB.

Dunk over Branthwaite or Quansah is a joke :lol:.......even Tomori or Dier would be better options.

The defence looks extremely poor aside from right back. Don't think England should be considered one of the front runners.
Only France and Netherlands have a good defence......all other nations are struggling in these positions too.

Why have we got no LW? Was trying to think of the top of my head whilst at work what wide players we had. I thought if Saka. Grealish and Rashford obvs but Rashford ain’t going.

Only France and Netherlands have a good defence......all other nations are struggling in these positions too.
Which is strange considering the Italians are basically all defence. They base their play on defence first.

I'm assuming he's only picked Toney for one reason only - in case we're drawing in the last minute of extra time. I suppose that worked out well last time out.

You're forgetting Ireland who have Coleman, Duffy, John O'Shea and Doherty.

How likely is Shaw to play? Would make a big difference to have him not just fit but in form.

I’d struggle to be convinced England are going to win the Euros if they have Conor Gallagher starting every game.

Last edited:
Think the left side of attack lacks threat, it's not Eze's natural position but he is excellent and I view Gordon being standoffish under the pressure of the tournament.

Bellingham should realistically be deployed as an 8 as opposed to a forward, I think the midfield is more balanced and has composure if he's in it.

Defence doesn't look great I think Brainthwaite and Tomori offer more. Strange Tomori doesn't get a look-in for a team that finished second in their domestic league. If he was playing in England for a top eight I reckon he goes.

Portugal's options are pretty good.

RB: Dalot/Semedo
LB: N.Mendes/Cancelo
CB: A.Silva/Dias/Inacio/Pepe (who's still really good, somehow, at 41)
Yeah their CB's are pretty good.

The full-backs are nothing special.....Dalot is fine but far away from world-class........Semedo is average.......Mendes is a good talent but he had a massive injury this season..........and Cancelo is sometimes pretty good and sometimes a League Two player.

Glad Wharton has gone but I can see him becoming a mainstay and unfortunately at the expense of Kobbie.

Wharton + Kobbie can play together. He’ll be like Rice was at West Ham in 3 years time - £100m player coveted by everyone.

Why have we got no LW? Was trying to think of the top of my head whilst at work what wide players we had. I thought if Saka. Grealish and Rashford obvs but Rashford ain’t going.
Gordon the diving Scouse twat has had an incredible season tbh.

Fair play to Southgate, he's made a lot of big and correct calls with that squad
This will probably be his last tournament. So better late than never. We’ve had quite a lot of young players come through this year though tbh

No Maddison, Grealish or Rashford is a massive call from Southgate this time around.

Let’s see how it goes. Great first 11 I think, though I’m not 100% convinced by our strength in depth.

Wharton + Kobbie can play together. He’ll be like Rice was at West Ham in 3 years time - £100m player coveted by everyone.

They definitely can. But Rice and Bellingham are immovable, so it's those 2 plus 1.

Good squad. Only Branthwaite over Dunk for me but besides that no real complaints. Midfield of Rice, Maino/Wharton, Bellingham and attack of Saka, Kane, Foden is quality.

I agree. I'm not a fan of Dunk (or Branthwaite from what little I have seen) but I kinda get wanting an older player in there.

Some pretty surprising (and good) decisions for me, leaving out some big names and picking Eze and Wharton.

Somebody should have got Southgate a subscription to Serie A though, Loftus-Cheek was playing really well last season and didn't get a chance and I think Tomori is better than almost all the CBs in the squad.

Wharton will probably fade away in a few years anyway. Happens all the time with young English players from the lower PL teams.
Not all the time. Henderson, Lampard, Carrick, Rio, Rooney all played for teams that typically aren't challenging each season. Admittedly, they then furthered their England careers at top clubs, but there's no reason that this can't apply to Wharton.

Status
Not open for further replies.