England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you play club football sure but you're living in fantasy land with the selection of keepers England have got. You're overrating their technical ability way too much.

Arsenal challenged City for the league and dominated almost all of their 38 PL games in the 2022/23 season with Ramsdale in goal. His mental profile can be questioned, but he can be part of a title challenging Premier League team, then he's easily good enough for international football as well.

It wouldn't guarantee that England win the World Cup and Euros, of course. Flick and Enrique were by far the two most tactically versed coaches on the 2022 WC and both of their nations bowed out very early. City also have only 1 UCL despite being the best team in Europe since at least 2019...but what it would guarantee is a higher chance than whatever Southgate is currently trying to do.

Arsenal challenged City for the league and dominated almost all of their 38 PL games in the 2022/23 season with Ramsdale in goal. His mental profile can be questioned, but he can be part of a title challenging Premier League team, then he's easily good enough for international football as well.

Very strange that the same Ramsdale was then replaced for the next season.

Pickford has been part of World Cup and Euro challenging sides and has been one of the best performers in the side when doing so?

Interesting that one has been a constant for club and country and the other...

Very strange that the same Ramsdale was then replaced for the next season.

Yes, and there are very valid reasons for that. Raya is not just overall a better keeper, but most importantly, his mental profile is night and day to Ramsdale's...but that's something that can be improved and if it did, Southgate would probably still not even consider him.

Southgate has insisted with Pickford for 6 years now as well, when all 3 of his alternatives are better with their feet which would help England become a more dominant, possession-based team at international level.
This is nonsense. Pickford has his flaws but he's miles better than both Henderson and Trafford.

Henderson is bang average and always has been. Not sure why he's developed this reputation for being good with this feet? He's lucky to be in the squad ahead of Pope, who I assume misses out due to being injured for most of the year.

Trafford was horrendous all season and was eventually dropped, but you think he should be starting ahead of Pickford at a Euros?

Ramsdale is debatable but he's not played all season for Arsenal. He was never gonna start ahead of Pickford.

I get the feeling Southgate could've picked all the players you mentioned and you'd still find something to moan about.

This is nonsense. Pickford has his flaws but he's miles better than both Henderson and Trafford.

Henderson is bang average and always has been. Not sure why he's developed this reputation for being good with this feet? He's lucky to be in the squad ahead of Pope, who I assume misses out due to being injured for most of the year.

Trafford was horrendous all season and was eventually dropped, but you think he should be starting ahead of Pickford at a Euros?

Ramsdale is debatable but he's not played all season for Arsenal. He was never gonna start ahead of Pickford.

I get the feeling Southgate could've picked all the players you mentioned and you'd still find something to moan about.
If Pope had been fit he would be in the squad.

Yeah, just before the tournament is not the optimal time to start phasing out your starting keeper of the last 6 years...my point was that he could've done that after the last two tournaments but it didn't happen. If Southgate stays beyond the Euros (I hope he won't, for England's sake), you can be sure Pickford will be number 1 in 2026 as well.

Yes, and there are very valid reasons for that. Raya is not just overall a better keeper, but most importantly, his mental profile is night and day to Ramsdale's...but that's something that can be improved and if it did, Southgate would probably still not even consider him.

I'm sorry but Ramsdale is just not close to the level of Pickford either. You're also saying this after a season when Pickford was one of the best keepers in the league and Ramsdale wasn't even playing. It's just lunacy. The only facet that you can say Ramsdale beats him on is technicality and even in that aspect it's not as if Ramsdale is a technical beast on the level of other top internationals, he's still only above average in that aspect of play.

Phasing for other positions makes sense but in terms of the keeper there is no valid argument for it. The only keeper that's made a solid valiant consistent effort to oust Pickford is Pope but he's injured currently and when he's played for England he's been naff (as has Ramsdale actually). Henderson has had a troubled time and is only just starting to play regularly and getting into form again and Trafford, though looking like a good keeper for the future is far too inexperienced and had a trash season. Ramsdale had one good season at Arsenal but it was still full of mistakes.

I'm sorry but Ramsdale is just not close to the level of Pickford either. You're also saying this after a season when Pickford was one of the best keepers in the league and Ramsdale wasn't even playing. It's just lunacy. The only facet that you can say Ramsdale beats him on is technicality and even in that aspect it's not as if Ramsdale is a technical beast on the level of other top internationals, he's still only above average in that aspect of play.

Phasing for other positions makes sense but in terms of the keeper there is no valid argument for it. The only keeper that's made a solid valiant consistent effort to oust Pickford is Pope but he's injured currently and when he's played for England he's been naff (as has Ramsdale actually). Henderson has had a troubled time and is only just starting to play regularly and getting into form again and Trafford, though looking like a good keeper for the future is far too inexperienced and had a trash season. Ramsdale had one good season at Arsenal but it was still full of mistakes.

Pope isn't a technical keeper either. Says it all about Southgate. And I don't see why it matters that much that Ramsdale didn't play much this season. It's not like he forgot how to play football in 12 months. Pickford might be a good shot-stopper but I don't agree with the other parts of your first paragraph. Ramsdale is easily better with his feet for me, and a better passer as well. If England had someone like him, that would lead to more dominance, more possession, and less chances conceded.

This is very similar to the De Gea vs Onana comparison. DDG was binned for the same reasons I would phase Pickford out for. You don't need to be a world class shot stopper in this current era of football in order to play for the most dominant teams. That's why Ederson, Raya, and Ramsdale play for City and Arsenal. And that's why we don't need to change keeper at United either, because Onana fits the way we'll most likely try to play next season. I think England should be moving towards this as well, because they have the players to do it.

Edit: Btw Pope's soon gonna get replaced at Newcastle by a real techincal goalkeeper as well, it's just a matter of time.

Pope isn't a technical keeper either. Says it all about Southgate. And I don't see why it matters that much that Ramsdale didn't play much this season. It's not like he forgot how to play football in 12 months. Pickford might be a good shot-stopper but I don't agree with the other parts of your first paragraph. Ramsdale is easily better with his feet for me, and a better passer as well. If England had someone like him, that would lead to more dominance, more possession, and less chances conceded.

This is very similar to the De Gea vs Onana comparison. DDG was binned for the same reasons I would phase Pickford out for. You don't need to be a world class shot stopper in this current era of football in order to play for the most dominant teams. That's why Ederson, Raya, and Ramsdale play for City and Arsenal. And that's why we don't need to change keeper at United either, because Onana fits the way we'll most likely try to play next season. I think England should be moving towards this as well, because they have the players to do it.

Ramsdale is being phased out of Arsenal because he isn't good enough.

It matters because he hasn't played because he was deemed not good enough AND when he's played for England he hasn't played well.

At least with Maguire he had the latter to help him and periods of excellent form as a player.

Ramsdale has one season that you've referenced that's been good and yet that season was looked at and identified as an area Arteta needed to improve.

Weird that Grealish got called up in the first place, weirder that he's dropped after a really lively cameo on Monday.

Good squad. Only Branthwaite over Dunk for me but besides that no real complaints. Midfield of Rice, Maino/Wharton, Bellingham and attack of Saka, Kane, Foden is quality.

In better form than Dunk regardless.

Branthwaite has had a better individual season than any other English CB that's going to the Euros. He's also easily the best-suited CB to replace Maguire from the provisional squad as well, IMO. Weird that he's the one being left out when Southgate suddenly picks a squad based on form for the first time.

It matters because he hasn't played because he was deemed not good enough AND when he's played for England he hasn't played well.

At least with Maguire he had the latter to help him and periods of excellent form as a player.

Ramsdale has one season that you've referenced that's been good and yet that season was looked at and identified as an area Arteta needed to improve.

Was it Ramsdale in goal in that 4-0 loss to Hungary? He was absolutely woeful

He shouldn't even be in the squad when Butland has been playing well and therefore is match fit in case he is needed.

Almost zero transition threat in that attack, which is comical considering Rashford is one of the most dangerous transition players in the world. Gordon is the only player on that list who can somewhat fill that hole in the squad, but I'm not expecting Southgate to make a good decision and start him.

I do not understand how you imagine Saka, Bellingham in his current incarnation, even Bowen, Eze (stars of two of the best EPL counter attacking units of the past few seasons) and Palmer are not pure threats in transition. That you only count Gordon as one.

Last edited:
Branthwaite has had a better individual season than any other English CB that's going to the Euros. He's also easily the best-suited CB to replace Maguire from the provisional squad as well, IMO. Weird that he's the one being left out when Southgate suddenly picks a squad based on form for the first time.

Guehi and Dunk are being picked for form? Because Guehi has barely played and Dunk has not been great.

Considering only 3 from Bowen, Eze, Foden, Gordon, Kane, Palmer, Saka, Toney and Watkins can play and a further 3 for subs to take 9 players for 3 positions is stupid when other areas are lacking depth.

The defence looks extremely poor aside from right back. Don't think England should be considered one of the front runners.

Southgate could have picked Tyrick Mitchell, Aaron Cresswell who are all natural LBs. Even Colwill has played out there. He didn't have to just pick Shaw.

Agree on Colwill, especially seeing that with Branthwaite missing out there's 0 left-footed CBs going.

Stones and Walker should be ok. Probably should start Gomez as the other CB. Not sure how good Shaw will be when he has hardly played.

I'm pretty sure Gomez has mostly been used to fill in at LB/RB for Liverpool. Don't mind him in the squad but if he's the best option for CB it's not promising. Shaw would make a huge difference if he's on form, but even when fit he has purple patches of form and then periods where he looks awful. I think any top side will fancy themselves to score a few against this defence. Needs good protection from the midfield. Rice-Mainoo combo has potential but worried about Mainoo becoming the scapegoat, which seems to be the tradition for young United players.

Status
Not open for further replies.