England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is then folks... these are reported to be the 26 players England coach Gareth Southgate will be taking to Germany this summer.

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale.

Defenders: Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.
It's a bit striker heavy, no?

Are there other big players missing other than Maguire Grealish and Rashford, squad definitely feels a poorer one than I’d expected, James I guess and some others I can’t remember

Here it is then folks... these are reported to be the 26 players England coach Gareth Southgate will be taking to Germany this summer.

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale.

Defenders: Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.
Should be:
Pickford
Walker Guehi Stones Shaw
Mainoo Rice
Saka Bellingham Foden
Kane​

Trippier for Shaw if not fit, Wharton competing with Mainoo, Palmer competing with the wingers, and the rest being just backups. Trent situational for crossing and set pieces

Really surprised Shaw is in. Regardless of him being fit in time for the tournament he won't have kicked a ball in competitive action for four months if he makes it for the opening group game. Going from that to a game every four or five days is ridiculous.

I'd have dropped Dunk. It isn't that a big a surprise that Branthwaite has missed out though. Southgate hasn't given him much of a chance.

It just seems odd to me that you wouldn't want to take another CB when all options you have are relatively inexperienced. If one of them succumbs to pressure you have more options.

Are there other big players missing other than Maguire Grealish and Rashford, squad definitely feels a poorer one than I’d expected, James I guess and some others I can’t remember
Talksport were saying about players he has usually relied on being out. Add Henderson, Sterling and Phillips to those. Maybe a changing of the guard.

Really surprised Shaw is in. Regardless of him being fit in time for the tournament he won't have kicked a ball in competitive action for four months if he makes it for the opening group game. Going from that to a game every four or five days is ridiculous.
England have no left backs and he is world class when fit. It's a no brainer to include him

The squad doesn't look that great defensively at all

He won't play all of them, and he is that important to how they want to play its probably the one risk that southgate could be forced to make.

England have no left backs and he is world class when fit. It's a no brainer to include him
He won't play all of them, and he is that important to how they want to play its probably the one risk that southgate could be forced to make.
You take him and one other left back or utility player, at a minimum. They're absolutely going to rush him back when he's not fully fit and he'll get injured again before the tournament is over.

He's only just back in training so I doubt he'll be fit enough for the first group game in ten days time.

I think the plan will be to hope that England win their first two games then play him in the third game as they will be through.

Should be:
Pickford
Walker Guehi Stones Shaw
Mainoo Rice
Saka Bellingham Foden
Kane​

Trippier for Shaw if not fit, Wharton competing with Mainoo, Palmer competing with the wingers, and the rest being just backups. Trent situational for crossing and set pieces
If Southgate expects an open game he will pick Wharton, close game he will pick Mainoo.

He was the one that stood out to me too, but in reality, he's never going to see the pitch, and no one else in the 33 would be any better.
Its weird to take Dunk over Branthwaite. Branthwaite is bigger, faster, a better player, the future, left footed. Strange call.

Henderson, Phillips and Sterling have all massively deteriorated from the World Cup while Ben White doesn't want to be picked. Mount hasn't had a good season too.

If Southgate expects an open game he will pick Wharton, close game he will pick Mainoo.
To be honest I think he'd see Wharton as the more defensive minded pick than Mainoo. Generally both make very good partners for Rice anyway, so for once he has a "can't go wrong" option in there. Well, actually he can go wrong by picking Gallagher or Trent to start in that midfield, and that's likely what he'll do.

Would be ballsy, but I reckon England could absolutely dominate with a lineup like this:

Pickford
Walker Stones Shaw
Trent Rice Mainoo Saka
Foden Bellingham
Kane
Get's Trent on the pitch in a role that doesn't rely on his defence so much. You could use him almost like we used Beckham in the treble season, but with Walker's pace bombing down the flank beside him rather than Neville.

Uses Foden and Bellingham in their best positions, with great protection and link play in Rice and Mainoo (Wharton could dovetail here too) behind them.

The only downside is not having Saka in his best role, but he's played left wing back before and can still be an absolute menace down that side, especially with Trent tucking in to more of a midfield 3 and the defensive stability of Shaw behind him.

Southgate trying to shackle the perception that he is a defensive manager by brining every single decent forward in England, apart from their second best one.

Still surprises me that with so little quality at CB that Tomori isn't in the squad.

Wow all four made it, up the Palace! If we win it can we claim the Euros like West Ham do the ‘66 World cup?

You're kidding right? Foden spent half this POTY season tearing folks new ones as a left winger. Palmer is comfortable there as is Eze. Even Watkins.

We have three options for the left. Not one. That's the point.

Almost zero transition threat in that attack, which is comical considering Rashford is one of the most dangerous transition players in the world. Gordon is the only player on that list who can somewhat fill that hole in the squad, but I'm not expecting Southgate to make a good decision and start him.

This squad (not just the attack) is stacked with players who share the same strengths, are the most useful in the same game-states, and if shit hits the fan, you won't be able to switch things up from the bench.

Maguire misses out due to injury, and the biggest aerial threat and physical presence left in Branthwaite is sent home in favour of, let's check: Guehi, Dunk, Konsa and Gomez.

Southgate has insisted with Pickford for 6 years now as well, when all 3 of his alternatives are better with their feet which would help England become a more dominant, possession-based team at international level.

I won't even begin how he's never ever even considered AWB despite him being probably the best 1v1 defensive right back in the world and he would be an even more valuable asset in international football than he is in club football.

How many minutes will Bowen, Eze, Palmer, Toney and Watkins play? What about the CBs? Leaving out so many players who could bring something different, but much needed things over these players who are good, but mostly good at the same things as the starting players...it will likely prove to be a fatal mistake. Just a complete waste of the most talented group of players by a fraud of the highest order.

Last edited:
Wow all four made it, up the Palace! If we win it can we claim the Euros like West Ham do the ‘66 World cup?

All deserved as well to be honest. I'm really happy he's picked Wharton and Mainoo - I was convinced he was going to leave one of them behind.

Southgate has insisted with Pickford for 6 years now as well, when all 3 of his alternatives are better with their feet which would help England become a more dominant, possession-based team at international level.

All three of them are half as good as what a keeper is actually there to do, which is you know, to make saves.

You also then talk about AWB being ignored despite your keeper argument focusing on possession based football which AWB is wank at.

All three of them are half as good as what a keeper is actually there to do, which is you know, to make saves.

England could genuinely dominate their Euro and World Cup games the way City dominates their UCL games even vs the likes of Madrid and Munich...if they had a great tactician whose first changes would definitely include phasing out Pickford for a more technical keeper.

England could genuinely dominate their Euro and World Cup games the way City dominates their UCL games even vs the likes of Madrid and Munich...if they had a great tactician whose first changes would definitely include phasing out Pickford for a more technical keeper.

If you play club football sure but you're living in fantasy land with the selection of keepers England have got. You're overrating their technical ability way too much.

To be honest I think he'd see Wharton as the more defensive minded pick than Mainoo. Generally both make very good partners for Rice anyway, so for once he has a "can't go wrong" option in there. Well, actually he can go wrong by picking Gallagher or Trent to start in that midfield, and that's likely what he'll do.
He tried Rice and Gallagher in that Brazil match and didn't go so well. Gallagher will be an exclusive back-up for Rice in case Rice get injured so he won't risk to use both in the same game. Trent didn't do well in the Bosnia match either as CM until he moved Trent to RB.

Its weird to take Dunk over Branthwaite. Branthwaite is bigger, faster, a better player, the future, left footed. Strange call.
It might be like how Coady was selected before. Dunk's probably not going to play, but his experience and personality could be better suited to hanging around the camp for a few weeks.

southgate is such a dweeb. we’ll have no options to turn games and no flair from the bench. he’s just picked a load of identikit wankers that will get knocked out against the first side that works out how to play against england (most of them.)

Lewis Dunk starting games in the tournament could be disastrous for England. Mental that Branthwaite was cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.