England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Self-sabotage Southgate. I was initially rooting for England, but now that's at least 3 big mistakes in leaving Rashford, Maguire and Maddison out. 2 of them United players as well. Maybe he'll leave one or both of Mainoo and Gordon out and then the full on hatewatch can begin :drool:
Maguire is injured. Mainoo and Gordon are going. The 7 have already been named.

He's not been using either as a CB and neither have really been playing there for their club.

Probably thinks both are fine as 4th choice. Personally I'm more worried about Dunk being in the line up or as first back up choice.

Probably thinks both are fine as 4th choice. Personally I'm more worried about Dunk being in the line up or as first back up choice.

Well that's also an issue. Basically what I'm saying is that he's left himself in a silly position because he's not had any decent contingency plans.

Here it is then folks... these are reported to be the 26 players England coach Gareth Southgate will be taking to Germany this summer.

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale.

Defenders: Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.

If somebody told me 3 months ago that Grealish and Rashford wouldn’t make it I’d have been mildly surprised

Not too many complaints but I’d have taken Branthwaite over Toney or Watkins not sure why both are going

Defenders: Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.

Doesn't fill me with confidence.

I've read Maguire's injured and won't recover in time.

He'll be a huge miss for England - whatever you may think of him here, he's shown mental toughness and he's a leader and experience CB who rarely puts a foot wrong for england and he's a danger on set pieces. Our defence is already potentially weak with having to play Trippier at LB and now we have an inexperienced CB in defence who's not formed a partnership with stones. Time to go with 3-2-5 and win every game 7-5

If somebody told me 3 months ago that Grealish and Rashford wouldn’t make it I’d have been mildly surprised

Not too many complaints but I’d have taken Branthwaite over Toney or Watkins not sure why both are going
Maybe INEOS has already settled with Southgate, then told him not to take Branthwaite to Euro so we can haggle for a lower price.

God knows how Dunk even got back into the provisional squad after that horror show in the last set of friendlies, taking Dunk seems to be the only mistake for me.

Gomez is not much but replace that with Shaw then you have 02 fullbacks that only loves attack

Yeah Shaw is vital if the team is going to win the tournament, just unknown how fit he is.

Personally I wouldn’t play Walker either unless coming up against France or Portugal. With how static the forwards might be in this team TAA would bring some much needed creativity from that right side.

Here it is then folks... these are reported to be the 26 players England coach Gareth Southgate will be taking to Germany this summer.

1 left winger. Incredible from Gareth :lol:

Fair enough. I disagree. Gallagher had a decent game. Did a lot of the grunt work in that midfield that Trent wasn’t doing and he was passing it well enough too (not as well as Trent or Wharton when he came on, but decent). For some reason Southgate plays him as the deepest lying midfielder which doesn’t suit him at all.
At all. He is not a deep lying midfielder.

Yeah Shaw is vital if the team is going to win the tournament, just unknown how fit he is.

Personally I wouldn’t play Walker either unless coming up against France or Portugal. With how static the forwards might be in this team TAA would bring some much needed creativity from that right side.
It is possible that he will play Trent instead of Walker, to have more creativity and better passing from the back

It’s bizarre how that defence looks really weak without Harry Maguire, especially with the question mark over Shaw’s fitness.

Then add Trent’s lack of experience as an out and out CM at this level, Mainoo’s freshness in the men’s game along with Wharton who is new to this.

Yeah Portugal and France are absolutely more set to win it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if England struggle to make the quarters. This feels very different to WC2018 when it all the new faces and fresh approach just kind of clicked.

But given the amount of fresh faces in this squad, I’m excited to see if they can make a name for themselves.

7 not going:

Jack Grealish
Harry Maguire
James Maddison
Jarrad Branthwaite
James Trafford
Curtis Jones
Jarrell Quansah

Southgate hates the letter J apparently.

7 not going:

Jack Grealish
Harry Maguire
James Maddison
Jarrad Branthwaite
James Trafford
Curtis Jones
Jarrell Quansah

Southgate hates the letter J apparently.
Good observation, all J indeed. No wonder why you are a Scout.

Maybe Maguire middle name also started with a J? or his father

Feels a bit top heavy.

Also seems a bit strange that all those defenders got in ahead of Branthwaite.

Not surprised Grealish missed out, Southgate has never really rated him. Feel like that's a decent decision tbh.

The only baffling call is the lack of Branthwaite, given that Maguires out. I'd have thought hed have taken an extra CB just in case some of the inexperienced lads choke, one's bound to perform well. We're going to have a fairly inexperienced back line if Shaw can't start.

Still very surprised at the Rashford exclusion. This seasons form aside, he was very good at the last major tournament from the bench for the team. Certainly a player I’d be looking at bringing on in a game prior to some of the options taken.

Defence and midfield is quite poor on paper.

Poor goalkeepers, poor defensive defenders, poor defensive central midfielders. Looking at international point of view. This will not end well defensively.

Not surprised Grealish missed out, Southgate has never really rated him. Feel like that's a decent decision tbh.

The only baffling call is the lack of Branthwaite, given that Maguires out. I'd have thought hed have taken an extra CB just in case some of the inexperienced lads choke, one's bound to perform well. We're going to have a fairly inexperienced back line if Shaw can't start.

Yep you could even argue he is decent as the rest of the CBs so would be in contention to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.