England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk that Jones & Quansah have been sent home too
Talksport reporting that earlier. There are going to be some disappointed players, but it is how you deal with it. Those two are more for the future. Maddison might just have made sure he will never get picked for England again. Southgate would expect them to be disappointed. It is when you take that onto social media, it then looks like someone is having a major sulk.

Talksport reporting that earlier. There are going to be some disappointed players, but it is how you deal with it. Those two are more for the future. Maddison might just have made sure he will never get picked for England again. Southgate would expect them to be disappointed. It is when you take that onto social media, it then looks like someone is having a major sulk.

Tbf though, you said it yourself, Jones and Quansah will have plenty of chances to get called up for a tournament. Maddison is 27 and has already been snubbed for the last WC. His tournament chances are slimming.

I dont think it would. England will never play in a way which gets the best out of watkins imo. his performances for England have average at best.

Yeah having only ever seen Watkins live for England or against us he's always been average and never looked remotely good enough for international football! Also looked a lot beefier than I thought he was in that last England game.

Toney also has been worse than average since the first few games after he was back though so he would he very lucky to go, genuinely think Solanke might have been the best Kane alternative.

Gobby Agbon was also saying it was horrible of Southgate to call up such a big squad and disappoint so many players which will force them to feel betrayed and upset when they get cut - Madness. They know the amount that will get cut and they aren't silly or under any illusions they aren't regular starters - Surely it's a great experience and nice to know you're that close to the squad, I think the deleting of the socials and stuff is childish

Tbf though, you said it yourself, Jones and Quansah will have plenty of chances to get called up for a tournament. Maddison is 27 and has already been snubbed for the last WC. His tournament chances are slimming.
To be picked for squads you also have to be able to cope with adversity and at times rejection. Maddison will now have to perform at the top of his game next season to make it hard not to pick him.

I mean Toney has done feck all for England as well and his club form has been dire. Watkins also allows to be played out wide coming in.

Toney has 2 caps for England, what do you expect him to have done at this stage?

Watkins has a much larger sample size and hes flattered to deceive for England.

For me, if Kane was to get injured, toney replacing him would cause the least disruption to the way we set up. Watkins is a different kind of player and some will argue you want variety in your forward line to try to change a game, however i dont think watkins can impose his game for england the same way he can at club level. I'd say he's comparable to Jamie Vardy, who was incredible for leicester, as they set up in a way which made the best use of his attributes, but never really performed for england as they were never going to play that way.

To be picked for squads you also have to be able to cope with adversity and at times rejection. Maddison will now have to perform at the top of his game next season to make it hard not to pick him.

Probably not because I doubt Southgate will be the manager so any spitting his dummy out won't matter and it will be a clean slate.

Gobby Agbon was also saying it was horrible of Southgate to call up such a big squad and disappoint so many players which will force them to feel betrayed and upset when they get cut - Madness. They know the amount that will get cut and they aren't silly or under any illusions they aren't regular starters - Surely it's a great experience and nice to know you're that close to the squad, I think the deleting of the socials and stuff is childish
Yes. They all know the situation. If he had just pick 26 players then Gobby would be saying he should have given more players the chance to get picked. He can't win.

Probably not because I doubt Southgate will be the manager so any spitting his dummy out won't matter and it will be a clean slate.
Not sure I would want someone who left like that. Surely you should be stopping and cheering your teammates on in their last game before the Euros, no matter how much you are hurting.

To be honest I think it's something as I'm getting older that I understand and comprehend the disappointment these guys must feel a lot more! I would like to think I wouldn't be childish about plastering my disappointment publicly, but inside it would be much more gutting once you make the provisional squad, start training together, feel part of the group, and then get left behind (especially if you only get like 0-15 minutes game time to show yourself).

Dangling the carrot and then taking it away.

Would agree that it would be better for the players psychologically to take the actual squad and maybe let the reserves for defence/midfield/attack know who they might be in case of injuries up until the cut off point.

Not sure I would want someone who left like that. Surely you should be stopping and cheering your teammates on in their last game before the Euros, no matter how much you are hurting.

How do you know he won't? Taking England out of your bio doesn't mean anything and it's true anyway, he isn't playing for them.

He must have known how that looks though. He is making a point or is as thick as the proverbial.

It's a bit different from uploading a post or story though. It's not that deep. :lol:

Will have to see what Southgate says in presser to find out.

Toney has 2 caps for England, what do you expect him to have done at this stage?

Watkins has a much larger sample size and hes flattered to deceive for England.

For me, if Kane was to get injured, toney replacing him would cause the least disruption to the way we set up. Watkins is a different kind of player and some will argue you want variety in your forward line to try to change a game, however i dont think watkins can impose his game for england the same way he can at club level. I'd say he's comparable to Jamie Vardy, who was incredible for leicester, as they set up in a way which made the best use of his attributes, but never really performed for england as they were never going to play that way.

His club form is dire as well though. Whereas Watkins is coming off a great season. I think we'll agree to disagree on this one.

It's a bit different from uploading a post or story though. It's not that deep. :lol:

Will have to see what Southgate says in presser to find out.
We are stacked in that area, a good player was always going to be left out. What if Eze is omitted will Maddison then feel better?

We are stacked in that area, a good player was always going to be left out. What if Eze is omitted will Maddison then feel better?

Jones cut and has also left the camp so I doubt that leaving the camp is a spitting dummy out moment from Maddison.

Good player but get the impression Maddison's character rubs Southgate up the wrong way a bit, he's got that Troy Deeney openly delusionally confident to the point of being a twat thing about him, could see him on Talksport in the future actually

Toney over Watkins makes more sense. Toney is more dominant in the air, can battle strong defenders better than both Kane and Watkins, reliable penalty shooter, so he is suitable for being impact sub striker.

Toney going over Watkins would be scandalous.

Only keeping him due to the fact I feel he has a similar profile to Kane and could step in, personally I would like to see all 3 taken but this is Southgate and he has defensive issues too. If that wasn't the case then maybe I could have seen all of them going.

Maguire is a huge miss. Not sure who partners Stones now? Guehi or Konsa?

Not fussed about Grealish. Plenty of better players in that position. Still think Rashford should've gone though, he's had a poor season but don't think there's anyone that offers what he does coming off the bench.

Seems Shaw is fit for training and Southgate will keep him. 02 more to be out, which means Guehi and either Gordon or Toney will be out.

Edited: Grealish is out means Gordon will stay. There are still 10 defenders so the final 02 will be defenders: Quansah and Guehi.

Last edited:
If it was up to me I'd do:

GK: Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson
RB: Walker, Trent, Trippier
LB: Shaw, Mitchell
CB: Stones, Branthwaite, Colwill, Tomori, Guehi
CM: Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham, Wharton, Eze, Jones
RW: Saka, Palmer
LW: Foden, Rashford
CF: Kane, Toney, Watkins

Remember when people said that Maguire shouldn't be starting and then people pushed back? This is exactly the reason why you needed to give people like Guehi/Tomori/Branthwaite/whoever more experience at International level. Having a contingency plan in case he or Stones got injured.

Maguire is a huge miss. Not sure who partners Stones now? Guehi or Konsa?

Not fussed about Grealish. Plenty of better players in that position. Still think Rashford should've gone though, he's had a poor season but don't think there's anyone that offers what he does coming off the bench.

Yeah with no Rashford I think Gordon becomes very important to this team (personally would start him but either way he’s vital now)

Remember when people said that Maguire shouldn't be starting and then people pushed back? This is exactly the reason why you needed to give people like Guehi/Tomori/Branthwaite/whoever more experience at International level. Having a contingency plan in case he or Stones got injured.
Fair point, but I think it's worth noting Maguire only had five England caps before WC 2018.

Big chance for someone like Guehi or Branthwaite to really cement their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.