England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched Southgate's interview yesterday, he gave big compliment to both Wharton and Gallagher. Look like the risk of Mainoo being left out of the final squad increases now.
I don't think so. Kobbie was the first player mentioned in Southgate's first interview last week... it would be a hugely controversial call from Gareth to leave him out at this stage

Do you think our scouts have done a good job over the last, let's say 10-15 years? If I remember correctly, we have a crazy number of scouts.
Our scouts have reccomended to the clowns in our football recrutinent deparment players like Jesus, Gavardiola, Enzo Fernandez, Alvarez all before they hit the big time to end to else where. All ignored. They also said Antony was worth 25m. The dunces in the front office paid 4 times that....I could go on for days

I’m not saying he should.

I just tend to agree that Wharton would offer Rice the license to get forward more, which is where he tends to do his best work.

I don’t actually like Rice as the deepest midfielder. He is defensively and positionally sound, but I don’t think he is very good at playing crisp penetrating balls along the ground from deep… lots of sideways/backwards stuff.
I see better wherr you are coming from.
To be fair: Rice shouldn't be needed to dictate from deep when his literally the best in the ranks at protecting and shielding the back 4 to recycle the ball from there. It should be his partners that have that job. That is why he and Phillips worked well. That is why he and a natural deep lying play dictator like Wharton, Mainoo or TAA will surely work.

England's prior problem was they had no other deep lying passers in the ranks. Plus No cover for Rice as a protecter if Phillips started alongside hin. Now Southgate actually has viable options. If Gareth is smart he doesn't keep trying to shoe horn box to box ball winners like Gallagher in Or like the press/fandom want attacking midfield playmakers like Bellingham or Foden into that role.

He must go with Wharton, Mainoo and TAA. as the guys to play with and cover Rice.

To be honest, I’d be happy with any pair of rice, Mainoo or Wharton. Which will make it all the more painful when Gallagher inevitably gets picked.
I 100% agree

Our scouts have reccomended to the clowns in our football recrutinent deparment players like Jesus, Gavardiola, Enzo Fernandez, Alvarez all before they hit the big time to end to else where. All ignored. They also said Antony was worth 25m. The dunces in the front office paid 4 times that....I could go on for days
At that moment when Ten Hag stock was still high, he demanded Antony, his favourite player or a way to pay off his old club, at all cost so the management had to satisfy. I fully support INEOS's strategy of not letting manager to dictate our transfer, similarly to the most successful club in the world Real Madrid. At least only until we find a manager that can prove himself worthy through 4-5 seasons with success in player management.

At that moment when Ten Hag stock was still high, he demanded Antony, his favourite player or a way to pay off his old club, at all cost so the management had to satisfy. I fully support INEOS's strategy of not letting manager to dictate our transfer, similarly to the most successful club in the world Real Madrid. At least only until we find a manager that can prove himself worthy through 4-5 seasons with success in player management.
The entire hulabaloo about Antony is his price. Which is entirely on the football department. Those fools who would buy a tiny bag of everyday peanuts at £1000

If Foden plays centrally, what happens to Bellingham ?

Good options to have but I'm still not sold on England's balance.
I'm not even sure if GS knows his first 11.
Me neither, that's why I think Mainoo could be so important, England doesn't create many players that can do what he does.

What exactly do we pay our scouts for if not to find players like Wharton? I'm serious. They are stealing a living.

What exactly do other clubs, including Palace pay their scouts for if not to find players like Garnacho?

What exactly does City pay their scouts for if not to find players like Mainoo?

You can’t sign them all.

Agree, Grealish has not been impressive at all this year, seems Pep trusts Doku more to make an impact whenever he needs a sub LW to come on. Eze played quite well yesterday so he has an upper hand over Gordon and Grealish.

Bowen did not play well yesterday. Cole Palmer may get picked over him and since Cole Palmer can also be AM, that would be an attractive option for GS to consider over Bowen.

For now, Gordon, Maddison and Grealish are at high risk being left out and only one of those may get picked. The main reason is that Foden will be either LW or AM, so if Southgate needs 4 players to cover that 2 positions, that would be Bellingham, Foden, Eze and only one of these 3 above.
Interesting to see how it goes. With the expanded 26-man squad, he should have 15 spots to divvy up to the midfielders and attackers and he can accommodate more options in my view. And Gordon, Eze and Grealish all offer something different. I'd be inclined to take all of them - Gordon if England need to sit deep to contain and counter; Eze for his strength and 1v1 ability; Grealish for ball retention and winning free-kicks.

In midfield he didn't.

His best period of the game was when he was moved back to RB.
I would take trent as a more attacking right back option off the bench but cant imagine him starting in midfield against a decent team

For me he had a much better second half regardless of role. Gallagher to me looked lost all game till he was taken off

Fair enough. I disagree. Gallagher had a decent game. Did a lot of the grunt work in that midfield that Trent wasn’t doing and he was passing it well enough too (not as well as Trent or Wharton when he came on, but decent). For some reason Southgate plays him as the deepest lying midfielder which doesn’t suit him at all.

My prediction the 6 players left out of the final squad, beside 1 GK:
1. Dunk
2. Guehi
3. Watkins
4. Quansah
5. Mainoo
6. Gordon

The main reason for GS to leave Mainoo out is as good as our Mainoo is, he lacks defensive capa compared to the rest of the choice while GS is a defensive-minded manager. He would likely prefer to have 2 proper DMs to sit tight in the midfield rather than a DM + a box to box player like Mainoo. Plus he also has Foden and Palmer to play alongside Bellingham if he needs more attack. I also feel that somehow Shaw might make it in time, even if he is not 100% fit, he is still one of best left back in the world and GS has noone else. Trippier is far away from being good enough.

1. Dunk
2. Guehi
3. Watkins
4. Quansah
5. Mainoo
6. Gordon

The main reason for GS to leave Mainoo out is as good as our Mainoo is, he lacks defensive capa compared to the rest of the choice while GS is a defensive-minded manager. He would likely prefer to have 2 proper DMs to sit tight in the midfield rather than a DM + a box to box player like Mainoo. Plus he also has Foden and Palmer to play alongside Bellingham if he needs more attack. I also feel that somehow Shaw might make it in time, even if he is not 100% fit, he is still one of best left back in the world and GS has noone else. Trippier is far away from being good enough.
Southgate would be a fecking idiot to leave Mainoo out.

Southgate would be a fecking idiot to leave Mainoo out.

He would, but selfishly hope he does leave him out. Kid can rest and continue his form for us next season. I don’t really care much for how England do. The Beckham hate in 98 still remains unforgivable

He would, but selfishly hope he does leave him out. Kid can rest and continue his form for us next season. I don’t really care much for how England do. The Beckham hate in 98 still remains unforgivable
I don't think GS will use him that much anyway if he gets picked. The experience being in Euro and training with top players will be invaluable to his development.

Seeing Trent, Gallagher and Wharton performed in that match, it is difficult to see Mainoo be picked ahead of them. Unless GS sacrifices more of his good wing forwards, then he can keep all of the CMs.

I don't think GS will use him that much anyway if he gets picked. The experience being in Euro and training with top players will be invaluable to his development.

Seeing Trent, Gallagher and Wharton performed in that match, it is difficult to see Mainoo be picked ahead of them. Unless GS sacrifices more of his good wing forwards, then he can keep all of the CMs.

Trent was poor until he was moved to RB.

1. Dunk
2. Guehi
3. Watkins
4. Quansah
5. Mainoo
6. Gordon

Mainoo was motm on his debut and his last game (fa cup final)

Not a chnace he doesn't go, he'll be starting later in the tournament.

Also I'd not only take Eze I'd start him, he's unplayable.

Mainoo was motm on his debut and his last game (fa cup final)

Not a chnace he doesn't go, he'll be starting later in the tournament.

Also I'd not only take Eze I'd start him, he's unplayable.
He is all fans' favourite, not just United fans. He also tends to perform well and score in big cup matches, that may be taken into account. Curtis Jones and Maddison might be the casulty if both Gordon and Mainoo is picked.

I don't care if he will be played or not, if he gets to stay and train with England top players throughout Euro that would be huge for his experience and motivation.

He is all fans' favourite, not just United fans. He also tends to perform well and score in big cup matches, that may be taken into account. Curtis Jones and Maddison might be the casulty if both Gordon and Mainoo is picked.

I don't care if he will be played or not, if he gets to stay and train with England top players throughout Euro that would be huge for his experience and motivation.

He'll play, he's fecking mint.

Reckon other 6 will be Trafford, Dunk, Quansah, Jones, Bowen and Watkins. Would like to see Toney and him both go, however with all those wide forwards I just can't see that happening.

And yet, in all the big CL matches, Bellingham played in the 6/8 role. Drift into channels and then sit in on the midfield line in defense. Look at the heat maps vs Bayern and City, compared to the heat maps vs typical La Liga teams.
No he didn't. He was always very clearly part of the front 3. He took up deeper positions because the team often sat deep. Defensively he'd either sit in front of 2 midfielders, or drift wide to form a bank of 4. He always had 7 players behind him at all times

Talk sport going mental over the Madison decision, they just can't understand it :lol:

Completely ignoring the fact that he's been below average since his return from injury.

Seems a bit harsh that it's been leaked before the other omissions though, like you've been so wank we're not even giving you the final warm up game to have another chance. Southgate always seemed to have a bit of a vendetta against Maddison initially but thought he was over that. I'm not disagreeing with him not going to be fair, he was never going to be a starter and after the 2nd half of the season form Eze is much more worthy of a place and a more exciting player, just thought it seems harsh!

Seems a bit harsh that it's been leaked before the other omissions though, like you've been so wank we're not even giving you the final warm up game to have another chance. Southgate always seemed to have a bit of a vendetta against Maddison initially but thought he was over that. I'm not disagreeing with him not going to be fair, he was never going to be a starter and after the 2nd half of the season form Eze is much more worthy of a place and a more exciting player, just thought it seems harsh!

Think that Eze performance swung it. He probably had a slim chance making it prior to that but after Eze played well and looked comfortable it made it an easy choice to drop him.

I get the feeling he walked after being told he wasn't gonna be in the squad, which is why this is the only one to have leaked.

That man's ego is hilarious. Maddison is nowhere near good enough to throw a strop and leave the squad early after being rightfully dropped.

That man's ego is hilarious. Maddison is nowhere near good enough to throw a strop and leave the squad early after being rightfully dropped.
Agree his form has not been great towards end of season, Rashford will have been as disappointed as he had never let England down, but must have known his form this season put his spot in the squad in jeopardy. He dealt with it in a much more dignified manner. As others have said Maddison likely thinks Southgate has never rated him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.