England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
TAA still getting chances in midfield because he had a half decent outing against Maltese part timers.

Trent midfield experiment should stop. He's a wingback or inverted wing back but a CM he is not.

He keeps trying to be this poor man’s Drogba version of Gerrard with those random Hollywood pings never come off.

TAA in midfield is not it, great fullback turned Jonjo Shelvey cm

He is a very poor defender.

What trent arnold is, and always was, is a poor mans david beckham. Not as good at crossing or passing, and not as good at tracking back.

But if you want to use him, put him on the wing and let him fire the balls in, that is what he is good at.

We’re so boring under Southgate. Gonna hate watching us in the euros.

He keeps trying to be this poor man’s Drogba version of Gerrard with those random Hollywood pings never come off.

Think the problem too now is that too many managers have started to facilitate the idea that he is and can be a midfielder.

Trent is an inverted wing-back, he can't really play any other role. This midfield experiment isn't working.

Watching this dross just makes me wish Mainoo was playing (also glad he isn't so the lad gets a rest).

You said they don't play the same position. I'm correcting you do. They do. He is Crystal Palace's #10.

He's actually a left inside forward for Palace, but as you said, he's versatile, and can pretty much play anywhere across the frontline, or potentially a bit deeper as a number 8.

This CB pairing is a car crash.

7 to be dropped. Who do we think isn't making the cut?

Eze so far the only player on the pitch that's shown himself to be better than the opposition. Everyone else has been bang average.

The whole back four is way off the pace. Two very shaky CBS, a RB who has no idea what do on the ball, and a LB playing out of position who has been poor for a year now.

Not sure what Southgate sees in this line up.

You said they don't play the same position. I'm correcting you. They do. He is Crystal Palace's #10.

He's actually a left inside forward for Palace, but as you said, he's versatile, and can pretty much play anywhere across the frontline, or potentially a bit deeper as a number 8.

You can't both be right ffs :lol:

7 to be dropped. Who do we think isn't making the cut?

One of Quansah or Branthwaite will get dropped, Jones will probably get dropped, think Bowen is in danger given Eze performance tonight.

Bowen and Watkins are decent players but the drop off from Saka and Kane to them is quite laughable.

Eze is clearly a #10, it's just that Palace play 3-4-2-1, and he's in the same spot where Mount was doing well in the same formation under Tuchel.

Doesn't have the mentality of a #8 or the speed/penetration of a winger.

One of Quansah or Branthwaite will get dropped, Jones will probably get dropped, think Bowen is in danger given Eze performance tonight.
I think it'll be Trafford, Quansah, Branthwaite, Jones, Wharton, Bowen and Maddison.

We have a wealth of attacking talent, but everywhere else are just a couple of injuries from utter mediocrity.

Couple that with the manager's in built cowardice when it comes to attacking games, and I cannot see us winning anything this year.

Given this is nowhere near our best team, this is shockingly competent from Bosnia ... (Also yes obviously far from England's best side, but it's a much stronger side than ours of course)

Considering Southgate continued to pick Henderson and Maguire when they were hardly playing, it's a bit tough on Rashford that he's not in the squad.

Scandalous really, especially with Grealish in the squad who's had a worse season.

Rashford has never let England down.

Bowen and Watkins are decent players but the drop off from Saka and Kane to them is quite laughable.

I think it's just that England try to play the same as they do with Saka and Kane and they're not comparable players in style at all.

Toney and DCL fit the Kane style more.

England's best potential pairing possible is probably Branthwaite-Stones because it's a left-footer with some height and recovery pace and the best CB on the ball as a pairing.

Obviously Branthwaite is inexperienced and going from the warm embrace of a Dyche system as a CB to playing for England in a tournament is much tougher, but if you're looking for a backline that could actually win the tournament, I feel like it's Shaw-Branthwaite-Stones-Walker and you just pray that Shaw is healthy and Branthwaite is a revelation like the (2 years older and 2 more full seasons under his belt) Umtiti was at Euro 2016 for France.

Scandalous really, especially with Grealish in the squad who's had a worse season.

Rashford has never let England down.
I'm a huge Rashford Fan and think he should have been in this provisional squad but he let England down in the probably most important moment...

England's best potential pairing possible is probably Branthwaite-Stones because it's a left-footer with some height and recovery pace and the best CB on the ball as a pairing.

Obviously Branthwaite is inexperienced and going from the warm embrace of a Dyche system as a CB to playing for England in a tournament is much tougher, but if you're looking for a backline that could actually win the tournament, I feel like it's Shaw-Branthwaite-Stones-Walker and you just pray that Shaw is healthy and Branthwaite is a revelation like the (2 years older and 2 more full seasons under his belt) Umtiti was at Euro 2016 for France.

He's had 3 games now to give Branthwaite 45 mins to have a look at him and he's not used him once yet. Really strange. I wonder if he will start Stones and Branthwaite against Iceland.

I tell ya, if I saw Trent start in midfield over Kobbie in the Euros it’d pretty much push me to boycott the whole tournament. It’s a proper Southgate move that.

We have a wealth of attacking talent, but everywhere else are just a couple of injuries from utter mediocrity.

Couple that with the manager's in built cowardice when it comes to attacking games, and I cannot see us winning anything this year.
An injury to Rice completely destroys the team. We have no replacement for him. We'd be playing a #8 there instead. Not having a LB is a massive problem as well. Tripper hasn't had a good season and isn't a LB.

We can win in it, but it'll be very tough to beat France, Germany or Portgual.

He's had 3 games now to give Branthwaite 45 mins to have a look at him and he's not used him once yet. Really strange. I wonder if he will start Stones and Branthwaite against Iceland.

Yeah, I'm not some huge Branthwaite fan, like I don't think it makes sense for us to spend 70M on him with Licha around and our needs elsewhere, but Southgate should have been giving him every minute he can to see if he can step up. No other English LCB option fits as well with Stones or is as good at LCB (I know Guehi plays there but he's still pretty right-footed and on paper not an obvious fit with Stones) apart from maybe Colwill and he's injured.

I think in general Southgate probably hasn't been influenced enough by the good French and German teams of the last decade, who have been willing to throw out 4 CBs and runners in midfield and just win games that way.

The team for me has to be

Kane​

Foden Bellingham Saka​

Mainoo Rice​

Trippier Branthwaite Stones Walker

Pickford​

I’d maybe consider Gomez on the left considering he played well there for Liverpool this year but that’s the team for me

Status
Not open for further replies.