England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can't embed tweets correctly :(

Tweet says england have given up more chances than created the last 3 games. Only good for 45 mins, yesterday. Can't get excited about being in a final. We're crap despite results.

I just find this absolutely mental. Are you be satirical? What is the bloody point if you can't get excited for times like this? I pity how many miserable people like this exist, because you're only missing out, it's tragic.

I just find this absolutely mental. Are you be satirical? What is the bloody point if you can't get excited for times like this? I pity how many miserable people like this exist, because you're only missing out, it's tragic.
Look I want to be excited for my country getting into a European championship final, but the xg paints a slightly unfavourable picture so I am obviously watching a repeat of homes under the hammer instead.

I love this England squad I love the togetherness about it . I also love the fact black and mixed race players are the shinning lights has a grandfather of a mixed race child I know there is still a lot of prejudice in this world and it’s good to have someone that looks like you to look up to.

Well, I have to say not surprised in the least that the FA want him to stay. In fact, I predicted it! However, it's not all doom and gloom and I still have hope as I'm pretty sure he wants to leave.

I love this England squad I love the togetherness about it . I also love the fact black and mixed race players are the shinning lights has a grandfather of a mixed race child I know there is still a lot of prejudice in this world and it’s good to have someone that looks like you to look up to.
There's a lot of people in Spain that are unhappy about having black players in their team. It reminds me of the dark days of the 70s but also how far we've come.

Well, I have to say not surprised in the least that the FA want him to stay. In fact, I predicted it! However, it's not all doom and gloom and I still have hope as I'm pretty sure he wants to leave.

I would imagine he's had enough but if England won would he really not want to lead the champions of Europe into the next world cup?

Has any Englishmen ever visited the pie and bovril forum? Reading it during an international tournament is a truly cathartic experience, i've been reading it since 2018 every time an international tournament comes around, admittedly it's never quite reached the peak levels of when we got to that first semi in a couple of decades, but it's still pretty entertaining. It's genuinely on bluemoon levels of tinpot, it's borderline satire and they don't realise how diddy they sound. Some of it is genuinely funny and whilst it's their true feelings it has an element of tongue in cheek but then you get crackers like this..

"I honestly, by several orders of magnitude, care much more about England losing this than I ever have about any Scotland game."

It's like being hated by someone you don't even realise exists..

You won't be saying that after they get embarrassed on Sunday. It's a waste of time with southgate in charge.

:lol:

fecking hell. Now that is miserable.

I think we'll lose on Sunday by the way but if you can't get excited making the final then when can you? Are you only allowed to be happy when you win the trophy?

Why are you making it about race?

From a black England fans perspective, it makes a difference. I know plenty of fans who are black and British that have a disconnect towards the England national team due to the culture of fans, treatment of black players in the media and historically, a lack of representation in the squad. There's a bigger black presence within the squad which many will view fondly and see that as relatability factor to being drawn towards the team/players.

From a black England fans perspective, it makes a difference. I know plenty of fans who are black and British that have a disconnect towards the England national team due to the culture of fans, treatment of black players in the media and historically, a lack of representation in the squad. There's a bigger black presence within the squad which many will view fondly and see that as relatability factor to being drawn towards the team/players.
I can relate to this. It's also down to the fact that people don't see black people as English no matter how long our families have been in the country, plus the general treatment day to day. I love the "Why are you making it all about race?" triggered comments. In Europe, people think that ignoring racism and race directly somehow solves racism when it only keeps it alive.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist."

:lol:

fecking hell. Now that is miserable.

I think we'll lose on Sunday by the way but if you can't get excited making the final then when can you? Are you only allowed to be happy when you win the trophy?
It's southgate. I expect us to get rinsed 4-0 and the final to be an embarrassing experience. At the end of it, I think we'll be wishing we were knocked out in the semi. I thought the Euro 2021 final was an embarrassment and this could be even worse!

And that's not the first time either. He made the same comments regarding France, hoping that a black player scores and claiming that their teams sports suck without blacks. He sounds more like someone who wants to see black players on top, rather than someone who's happy to see players of different races play football together.

It's southgate. I expect us to get rinsed 4-0 and the final to be an embarrassing experience. At the end of it, I think we'll be wishing we were knocked out in the semi. I thought the Euro 2021 final was an embarrassment and this could be even worse!

My god , how do you cope being an Everton fan with that mentality.

Must be hell! Do you just never enjoy football?

Last edited:
You need an intervention

I don't watch club football, any more. Not for me.

I don't know what to tell you then.

You don't watch club football and you don't enjoy England making it through the tournament into the final because you think we'll lose the final.

It sounds like football just isn't for you anymore, don't know what you get out of watching.

I don't know what to tell you then.

You don't watch club football and you don't enjoy England making it through the tournament into the final because you think we'll lose the final.

It sounds like football just isn't for you anymore, don't know what you get out of watching.
Club football is dead to me.

I was hoping for a bit of hope/joy at watching England play. But I've got neither with him in charge. He embarrassed himself in the last euro final and I suspect a heavy beating is coming our way in this one. If I thought they could actually win I would be excited to watch. Can't even be arsed watching. WIll probably just follow on this forum.

I do think england are producing some good technical players, now so I'm looking forward to watching them with a good coach.

Funny to see the entire country of England going into meltdown prior to a major international final, just like 3 years ago. And for a Euros, FFS. The Euros is not worth a tenth of the World Cup, in all honesty.

Of course this feeling of feverish anticipation, and the notion that every man, woman and child in the country will be watching the game will be completely forgotten once people on this forum start crazily arguing again that the freaking Champions League is a bigger deal than major international tournaments, and the 'pinnacle' of the sport. L O L....

I was hoping for a bit of hope/joy at watching England play. But I've got neither with him in charge. He embarrassed himself in the last euro final and I suspect a heavy beating is coming our way in this one. If I thought they could actually win I would be excited to watch. Can't even be arsed watching. WIll probably just follow on this forum.

I do think england are producing some good technical players, now so I'm looking forward to watching them with a good coach.
What really good coaches would manage at the International level?

Tuchel or Pochettino.....even Potter would be massive upgrade.

Im sorry but id never want a German managing the England side.

There are some unwritten things in football which cant happen and this is one of them.

I dont buy into the England Manager having to be English, but i draw the line with Germany.

Im sorry but id never want a German managing the England side.

There are some unwritten things in football which cant happen and this is one of them.

I dont buy into the England Manager having to be English, but i draw the line with Germany.
This is fine.

But if the choice would be between Southgate and Klopp then i think 80% of the english people would want the german coach.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we win just as I was when we beat City. But I will enjoy being in the final. Southgate has the luck of the devil despite being terrible at picking teams (or maybe he's really good at it and I'm terrible).

Tuchel or Pochettino.....even Potter would be massive upgrade.
OK so Tuchel? No.

Poch, yes but would want a club to manage.

And Potter, he may well be the next guy they approach to succeed Southgate.

We've become a nation of armchair managers this time round though. He's doing well this tournament and seems to learn fairly quickly-obviously there are better managers out there, I wouldn't want him managing United for example. But there aren't too many viable alternatives in international football-it could be a case of be careful what you wish for.
Back to back finals is impressive.

What really good coaches would manage at the International level?
Because we're a big football country, I hope the engand job is managed by an english man. So, a truly great coach is off the table. But Potter or Howe would be big upgrades.

Because we're a big football country, I hope the engand job is managed by an english man. So, a truly great coach is off the table. But Potter or Howe would be big upgrades.
Yeah you have no idea that's true actually. Club and International manager are different jobs

We've just seen the best club manager at these euros - by quite some distance at that - be the worst manager at the euros

Yeah you have no idea that's true actually. Club and International manager are different jobs

We've just seen the best club manager at these euros - by quite some distance at that - be the worst manager at the euros
Well, nothing is for sure. But I'm pretty confident they would be an upgrade over southgate. At least, if they were in charge, I think England would have a chance, tomorrow.

I want us to use that pain we felt against Italy 3 years ago and many years before to drive us on

Yep, might reach a semi final or final or something. Or maybe 2 Euro finals back to back or something.

The english football Nation definitely deserves this title. Will be rooting for you tomorrow. Especially with Mainoo in the starting lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.