England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your wingbacks are defensively lacking but Southgate wouldn't dare exploit it by playing a proper LW or allowing Kyle Walker to regularly overload down the right. Also, Kane will barely be found in the penalty box as he's too busy playing deep and then huffing and puffing up the pitch as Saka floats one in.
I think @giorno is Italian.

They've played Serbia, Denmark, Slovenia, Slovakia and Switzerland and from these five games have managed one victory in normal time, in the opening game. Including a 95th minute get-out-of-jail-free card with their first shot on target.

Southgate is absolutely the luckiest manager in the world. Underperforming mediocrity and yet somehow in the semis, with the weakest of the three other semi-finalists to play.

It's very annoying how he gets the luck of the draw at every single tournament. He is the epitome of the incompetent middle manager who keeps getting promoted due to incidental windfalls he had no credit for, except being present for it.

Bringing Guehi straight back in is a strange old decision. I think he's looked shaky in pretty much all the games (media declaring he's team of the tournament worth is baffling me) and regardless of club allegiances Konsa was really good v the Swiss, I think most would agree on that?

Also reports he had to take an injection at half time to get him through Slovakia match as he'd injured his shoulder so again who isn't even 100% fit.

Bringing Guehi straight back in is a strange old decision. I think he's looked shaky in pretty much all the games (media declaring he's team of the tournament worth is baffling me) and regardless of club allegiances Konsa was really good v the Swiss, I think most would agree on that?

Also reports he had to take an injection at half time to get him through Slovakia match as he'd injured his shoulder so again who isn't even 100% fit.
Just try not to make sense of anything Southgate does. It's easier that way.

I see GS is going to play foden again. Sigh...Not long left of him, at least
His "tactical" plan is to have the excuse that he played all the big name players when they shit the bed against a half decent team.

Any decent manager would know you need to tweak things to counter how the dutch will play and exploit their weaknesses.

Sorry have to disagree with this, he's looked one of England's best players and if he's fit, it's a no brainer to bring him back.

Guehi has been good. If anything Stones and Walker have looked worse than both Konsa and Guehi.

What exactly is he saving shaw for?
Shaw has said he’s fit to play and made us look a whole lot better when he came on last time

What exactly is he saving shaw for?
Shaw has said he’s fit to play and made us look a whole lot better when he came on last time

He'll be nowhere near 90 minutes so probably same as last time. Also if England are losing then Trippier is a totally useless sub to put on the left while Shaw can slot into a back 3 again.

I can see logic in the decision. Would be different if he'd featured in the group stages.

Same methods, different results?… insane.

gareth-southgate-1530788522.jpg

More than a man

That Watkins sub will be talked about for generations. Right up there with Ole and Bale

Now, @giorno , if Shaw doesn't start...
What, didn't you see the game, Southgate is an actual genius. This is all meant to create a false sense of security in the opponents and then he throws some random subs on and wins the game

Flawless masterplan

Putting Mainoo in and giving Bellingham less freedom has given the team more balance. Still has its issues, but it’s a lot better than the first few games.

That Watkins goal was ridiculous. We never score that if Kane is still on the pitch. I would love to see Watkins start the final, but there is next to no chance of that happening.

I missed the first half, but second half Foden was good.
He was good tonight. He also missed England's biggest chance of the game and was ultimately unable to affect the game. Then Palmer and Watkins came on and won the game

It's just not working for Foden at these Euros

He was good tonight. He also missed England's biggest chance of the game and was ultimately unable to affect the game. Then Palmer and Watkins came on and won the game

It's just not working for Foden at these Euros
He was everywhere collecting the ball and moving it in tight spaces, he had no one to work with.

:lol:

The footballing gods have a funny sense of humour

I wouldn't call England "the footballing gods" yet bit premature. Obviously we are winning the euros but you probably need to wait until we win the next world cup too.

We do have great banter though true.

Good result, but I knew that first half would not last. Just once, why can't we dominate a game?

Anyway, I accept my brain is weird, but when we're 3-0 agasint spain and chasing shadows, I think I would rather have lost this. No chance we win. We're still crap.

Good result, but I knew that first half would not last. Just once, why can't we dominate a game?

Anyway, I accept my brain is weird, but when we're 3-0 agasint spain and chasing shadows, I think I would rather have lost this. No chance we win. We're still crap.

wow talk about glass half empty

England have the best squad on paper and definitely got a decent chance v Spain.

Very odd thing to have wished to have lost the game.
Just don't see any path to victory. And it's the hope that kills, you know?

I would have give england an outside chance against france. Not spain, though. They have been from a different planet compared to us.

I haven't seen much of Bellingham in club football (which means that I might be wrong) but it seems ridiculous to me that he is a ballon d'or contender. He is barely top 3 in this England team.

Think they have slightly overachieved in some respect, consider how unbalanced the team is on paper, you've got Bellingham, Kane and Foden stylistically all similar profiles in the sense of not being runners but dropping into spaces and progressing play.

Totally untested defence, Guehi inexperienced at national level for the seniors and Kyle Walker has never really shined in that wider center half role.

Personally thought the omission of Rashford would bite Gareth back and said earlier in the thread that I couldn't see Gordon playing much football and making an impact which proved correct.

All in all, the performances have improved incrementally even if Southgate doesn't win the Euro's with this team it's certainly the best time for him to step away irrespective given the momentum and moments he's endured in this campaign.

Just don't see any path to victory. And it's the hope that kills, you know?

I would have give england an outside chance against france. Not spain, though. They have been from a different planet compared to us.

It’s difficult to see it right now but football is a funny game. You never know in the final. Some thought City would smash us in the FA Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.