England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker was nowhere near where he needed to be for either goal. Really disappointing. Kane was also shocking again.

The scoreline looked better for us than it really should have been. They were way better than us.

Future is bright for some of these boys, just need someone with the balls to come in get rid of some of these big named players.

Fawning all over Kane needs to stop aswell. There are other solutions in attack that can come good in clutch moments as seen in previous games.
You’d be fuming if you were Watkins / Toney. Made an immediate difference in the few opportunities they were given whilst Kane was practically invisible.

Playing shit on a stick football with such a talented bunch of players is downright criminal. Most of these players play for some of the most progressive managers in world football, and then they have to come to the England set-up and play like relegation fodder. Shame.

The criticism of Southgate is over the top in my opinion. He made the correct changes and had the balls to drop Kane after an hour. Not his fault Watkins had a poor first touch on that Bellingham through ball.

What might be his fault is England starting to play football the minute they go down

England simply HAVE to start being proactive in the way they play football AND the way they think about. It's just utter bollocks that people praise Southgate- if you're at the level of say Greece or some country that have fallen on hard times with talent then yeah, play defensive football and nick things on the counter/set pieces and try and win the tournament. But when you have that level of talent in the squad it's insulting to play football like that.

Croatia, Italy and Spain did them in the midfield in the big games and they were a bit unlucky against France.

We got found out. We have been rubbish all tournament. Less luck in the draw and we could have been home already.

When you get to a final you always have a punchers chance. Our goal was an example of that. Came pretty much outta nowhere.

Hard to make an objective case that we were the second best team in this competition though. Didn't even pick two fit left backs.

Always the bridesmaid...

Walker was nowhere near where he needed to be for either goal. Really disappointing. Kane was also shocking again.

The scoreline looked better for us than it really should have been. They were way better than us.

Shaw probably needed to be hooked after 1-1, did well but was gassed. Should've put TAA on and moved Walker to left back as he might've put in some decent crosses.

The criticism of Southgate is over the top in my opinion. He made the correct changes and had the balls to drop Kane after an hour. Not his fault Watkins had a poor first touch on that Bellingham through ball.

What might be his fault is England starting to play football the minute they go down
why start him though? He's not a very good manager that's relied on moments and good luck. the only impressive victory against a genuinely big country in a big competition was against Germany (and they're not exactly doing well in the past few years)

Squad / team has no style or balance.

England have a huge problem with Kane, Palmer, Foden and Bellingham all looking to play. You can't play 3 in midfield and shoe horn Bellingham on the left. It's Mainoo + Rice + Bellingham/Foden or Palmer with 2 wingers and Kane/Watkins up top.

I don’t think you can brush away that little caveat. England clearly have the skill and impetus to force the tempo of the game and use it to their advantage.

It’s pertinent to ask why they only do it when they’re behind. Tonight it clearly cost them.

Kane and Foden need binning.

The latter has to earn the place back, the former is done.

Southgate is the biggest weakness by far though. Anyone defending him can do one, he has lost once again by being a coward when the team were on the ascendancy.

Obviously the talent is there, and the ability to play good football has been shown at times tonight and in earlier matches. But the mentality shift when the game is tied, or when England has a lead is shocking. You have to think that comes from the coaching staff rather than the players themselves.

England incapable of playing more than a decent 45 minutes.
Don't really start playing until a goal down.
Have an abundance of good attacking players that don't reach anywhere near their potential.
Questions should be asked.

Again, we all know southgate is as useless as a chocolate fire guard. However, that spain side is really good.

So, the question I'm asking out of it, is was that a world with a better coachwere england actually win that game? Obv fluke wins can happen anytime but I mean could that England squad of players, actually have the better of the match and deserve to win? I dunno

It is not about squad. It is all English FA fault. Southgate, Allardyce, Hodgson, mercenary Capello, joke of a coach S.G. Ericsson - this list of managers is a disgrace. Incompetent, media pleasing, corrupt twats. English FA is the most despicable football institution in the world.

Where is James Trafford going to be playing next year? As much as Pickford hasn't let England 'down'.... he's constantly lumping it, and at Everton, he's the only player playing Southgate-ish tactics at club level. Pep would move him off as quick as he did with Joe Hart if he took over tomorrow.

But Trafford's got no chance if he's casually hanging around in the Championship or Burnley conceding 8 goals a game.

Time to try something different, time to build again a better balance for the World Cup. Just can’t see them binning Southgate or Kane yet.

England do have a chance to be really dynamic and exciting to watch if they are unshackled, until they learn to control games we will almost always lose out. Now the dust is settled it’s fair to say we nearly shit housed our way to that one, we can be so much better than that.

Need someone to come in and axe the likes of Kane, & Walker. Someone who sees a need for a keeper who can pass out from the back, pick the right formation male the right changes etc.

Get a better manager in now, start building something and by the World Cup we should look much better.
We are like Utd, occasional moments of brilliance that get your hopes up and make you feel it might happen but deep down you know the foundations aren’t there

You’d be fuming if you were Watkins / Toney. Made an immediate difference in the few opportunities they were given whilst Kane was practically invisible.
Should have been clear from the group games what needed to change. Southgate lacked the balls. Hauling someone off after an hour isn't brave or bold as some try to claim. Sitting them down before the game and explaining to them they've lost their place in the team is what was needed. That would have taken courage.

Get a better manager in now, start building something and by the World Cup we should look much better.
We are like Utd, occasional moments of brilliance that get your hopes up and make you feel it might happen but deep down you know the foundations aren’t there
Yeah, the lack of chances created all euros is the tale tale sign.

I'm off to bed soon. I hope GS is no longer england manger when I wake up. Hoping that potter gets the job. I would take a broomstick over GS, at this stage.

Yes I’m biased but I’m surprised Adam Wharton didn’t get a single minute all tournament, has the midfield skillset to have affected a lot of those games. I just don’t see it with Rice tbh.

It's a crime that he started Kane in that game. We ALL KNEW he would be bad. He's got to be injured.

Again we go behind, wake up score and just sit back. 4 knock out games and we've created f@@k all. The international equivalent of moments fc

Yes I’m biased but I’m surprised Adam Wharton didn’t get a single minute all tournament, has the midfield skillset to have affected a lot of those games. I just don’t see it with Rice tbh.
he passes the ball forward, you see. So, already struggling with gs.

Not just you. Should have at least seen some minutes in the group games. I rate Wharton very highly and under a different (and less cowardly) manager it would have been different.
Maybe not the final result but at least give the lad a chance

I'll say it again. bellingham is over rated as feck. And so is foden. Although, i know i'm not alone with that one.

Where is James Trafford going to be playing next year? As much as Pickford hasn't let England 'down'.... he's constantly lumping it, and at Everton, he's the only player playing Southgate-ish tactics at club level. Pep would move him off as quick as he did with Joe Hart if he took over tomorrow.

But Trafford's got no chance if he's casually hanging around in the Championship or Burnley conceding 8 goals a game.

Not sure what you expect. Pickford plays it to Stones and the others and gets it right back. You can't play football if the others don't either.

Everyone says we have the players but the most important part of football is midfield, and we still can't control it like the top sides can.

I think people are being slightly harsh on Bellingham. It just feels like everyone is playing with hands tied behind their back constantly. There’s not really one English player where you can say “he shone”, and when that’s the case, I’m more inclined to blame the management than individuals.

Looks like he's thinking over his future. Oh goody. Would never be sacked. So, we've just got to hope he does the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.