England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was good tonight. He also missed England's biggest chance of the game and was ultimately unable to affect the game. Then Palmer and Watkins came on and won the game

It's just not working for Foden at these Euros

Completely disagree that he was unable to affect the game. Unless your definition of that is scoring/assisting.

I haven't seen much of Bellingham in club football (which means that I might be wrong) but it seems ridiculous to me that he is a ballon d'or contender. He is barely top 3 in this England team.

He seems far more of a ball hog than when I've watched him at Real and Dortmund. Felt like majority of his time on the ball today was spent doing a fecking James Harden impression

Why can't we just play well one time. It's not asking for much is it? I reckon england are in the final having played 2 good halves all tournament.

Credit where credit’s due. Mainoo seems like a ahem gem for England and united.
I’m a fan until Monday and 2026.

Bellingham is both trying that bit too hard to be “the guy” but also he’s absolutely fecked by 60 mins which is understandable after a long season.

But he’s got that winning mentality which is hard to knock, he seems blessed with that magic dust winners seem to have.

Bellingham is both trying that bit too hard to be “the guy” but also he’s absolutely fecked by 60 mins which is understandable after a long season.

But he’s got that winning mentality which is hard to knock, he seems blessed with that magic dust winners seem to have.

Starting to think that myself. Some players are just lucky, he might be one of those.

Is Bellingham the black Frank Lampard?

I think most of the players probably deserve a bit of credit for making it work but i thought Bellingham, Trippier and Kane still looked uninvolved in a lot of the good play in the first half. Its been slow going but they've gradually started looking like a decent team. You dont really want to rely on coming back from a goal behind, or last minute wonder goals or penalty shoot outs to win. But they keep pulling it out of the fire and continuing on and it shows a lot of resilience. A lot of stuff that you might expect england historically to screw up (penalty shoot outs) dont seem to faze this group of players in the least. And with the attacking players they have, betting on one of them just scoring a random wonder goal really doesn't seem like a bad bet. They all do pretty regularly. Hell even Mainoo is good for the odd one.
I'm not sure if i rate Spain more because they've been more entertaining to watch over the tournament or because they are a better team. I'd have them favourites just about but think they'll find it really hard to beat you.

Mainoo was unbelievable in that first half.

My only question is after producing our best performance of the tournament in the first half, then bringing on our only naturally left sided player did he decide to change to a back four and shoehorn bellingham out wide?

Some finish that winner. See you all sunday.

For those saying they don't know why people rate Bellingham, it's because you don't watch League football.

People can say the same about Rooney or Scholes.

There's a reason Bellingham won Bundesliga player of the year 22/23 and La Liga player of the year 23/24.

Mainoo was unbelievable in that first half.

My only question is after producing our best performance of the tournament in the first half, then bringing on our only naturally left sided player did he decide to change to a back four and shoehorn bellingham out wide?

Some finish that winner. See you all sunday.

I have concerns we're playing Mainoo too much and he's going to break down at some point, and go the same way as Pedri and Gavi (though his gametime at a younger age has not been as extreme).

I have concerns we're playing Mainoo too much and he's going to break down at some point, and go the same way as Pedri and Gavi (though his gametime at a younger age has not been as extreme).
We've generally used him for an hour or subbed him off against teams that resorted to kicking him. Southgate has dont alright by him so far too. Think he's been handled pretty well to date.

Credit where credit’s due. Mainoo seems like a ahem gem for England and united.
I’m a fan until Monday and 2026.

Mainoo has played well with the team, which has served highlight how good he is individually.

By contrast, Bellingham has looked like feels he needs to win the balon d’or every game. But at the same time he looks exhausted. So he ends up congesting the areas in front of goal searching for “moments”.

There are a proper team. You can feel their togetherness all the way through, hats off to Southgate for creating that culture.

Terrible mistake from Rice (I think) for the first goal. Could have cost England the semis.

Mainoo is why England looked so good in the 1st half v Netherlands, and why Foden looked more involved. He lost influence as he got tired but I can't wait to see how he manages v Spain. Great English midfield prospect.

Don't actually think England were that much poorer 2nd half. 1st half Netherlands were wide open so it was easy to play through them and find space.

2nd half Koeman changed shape and locked the middle down so the game slowed and became more of a chore. Apart from some Weghorst flick ons, we looked comfortable throughout and you felt there would only be 1 winner.

Also, not starting Shaw made sense, yes he might have been good for 90, but no way he made 120 if it got there. And as someone else said, bringing on Trippier would have been a no go when you need a goal.

Line up should be interesting for the final. I think the team picks itself, but the shape could be a 3 or 4 at the back.

They've done what was expected of them pre-tournament but they've done it the hard way. Bit of a strange one as on one hand they've managed to meet expectations on paper but on the pitch they've probably only met it in moments and in one half against the Dutch last night when they looked up there with the best we have seen at the tournament in terms of control and intent.

I think also we have seen how the depth of England is truly ridiculous too with multiple bench options making the difference in games now.

For those saying they don't know why people rate Bellingham, it's because you don't watch League football.

People can say the same about Rooney or Scholes.

There's a reason Bellingham won Bundesliga player of the year 22/23 and La Liga player of the year 23/24.
I watched quite a few Real Madrid games this season where he was very poor but still ended up with a goal, much like the Slovakia game. It's those big moments (which he has had a fair few of, admittedly) combined with the league title that made him end up with POTY this season. Deciding El Clasico will do that for you but he was poor in big stretches in those games for example.

He seems to have a knack for being the right guy in the right place in the right moment, but I've yet to see him consistently boss games from beginning to end.

They've done what was expected of them pre-tournament but they've done it the hard way. Bit of a strange one as on one hand they've managed to meet expectations on paper but on the pitch they've probably only met it in moments and in one half against the Dutch last night when they looked up there with the best we have seen at the tournament in terms of control and intent.

I think also we have seen how the depth of England is truly ridiculous too with multiple bench options making the difference in games now.

Absolutely, the two substitutes who made the goal yesterday had more than 60 goal contributions combined in the PL last season. They have had the best squad in the world since 2021.

I'm still waiting for bellingham to step up a level here.

Foden, finally, woke up yesterday.

Must say it’s impressive that they’re in the final. Especially as they haven’t been able to replace Kalvin Phillips.

Still can't embed tweets correctly :(

Tweet says england have given up more chances than created the last 3 games. Only good for 45 mins, yesterday. Can't get excited about being in a final. We're crap despite results.

Last edited:

Tweet says england have given up more chances than created the last 3 games. Only good for 45 mins, yesterday. Can't get excited about being in a final. We're crap despite results.

I mean that tweet makes a not entirely bad point but also, counterpoint to bold:
1.4 vs 2.1
0.7 vs 1.1

Guess the games and teams

For comparison with Spain:

Spain 2.01-2.38 Croatia
Spain 2.02-0.16 Italy
Spain 1.51-0.48 Albania

Spain 3.36-0.25 Georgia

Spain 1.41-2.15 Germany
Spain 0.75-1.10 France

As good as Spain have been, if you look at the xG, they have won half and lost half. xG doesn't take into account the context of the games but it does shows that against better opposition Spain have been conceding chances.

Spain 2.01-2.38 Croatia
Spain 2.02-0.16 Italy
Spain 1.51-0.48 Albania

Spain 3.36-0.25 Georgia

Spain 1.41-2.15 Germany
Spain 0.75-1.10 France

As good as Spain have been, if you look at the xG, they have won half and lost half. xG doesn't take into account the context of the games but it does shows that against better opposition Spain have been conceding chances.
Interesting!

I did like the first half against the dutch. Despite the lucky pen and few chances created. England were on the front front and were the side dictating the match.

Now, I won't expect that against spain, because even if southgate was a genius coach it would be a big ask for us to win. But England should have dominated all their games up to now.

Some grit, some excellent players, and a whole lot of luck is why they are in the final.

What???

That's exactly the time to get excited.

Spain 2.01-2.38 Croatia
Spain 2.02-0.16 Italy
Spain 1.51-0.48 Albania

Spain 3.36-0.25 Georgia

Spain 1.41-2.15 Germany
Spain 0.75-1.10 France

Yeah sort of what I said yesterday. England will absolutely have opportunities to score, but the way to beat Spain is with runners, not trying to outpossess them. Which is an issue, because we all know there’s 0 chance Southgate switches up the team at all. So it’ll come down to how soon he takes Kane off

Status
Not open for further replies.