Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

I think all those taking the piss out of Musk, should keep in mind how hard - and how quickly - he's trying to sort out the problems, as this dialogue shows. And as it's pointed out at the end, he's only had two weeks so far.wt
Had me ready to BITE

How the feck did he get rich in the first place?

If anything these last 2 week he's up there with Michael fecking Scott from the office

Lucked into Paypal, right place, right time. Then hopped on EV before it was big but when everyone knew it was coming. Got a little lucky because those early Teslas had massive engineering flaws - I was told by an engineer back in 2012 how poorly designed the batteries were where if the car ran out of a charge once, the entire system could be bricked and costs 10K+ just to fix which is a helluva lot worse than an internal combustion car running out of gas. Then he hopped into SpaceX, acquired a handful of smaller aerospace companies, got a bunch of government contracts and started treating employees like shit early on. You could maybe say he was clever in recognizing opportunities at the right time and having the resources to leverage them but little else. It's still a bit baffling how he ascended to the world's richest man off of overvalued stocks, I think Bezos' fortune has a much more solid foundation.

At what point can other shareholders file an injunction to stop him destroying the value of the company?

He's the sole shareholder now? He owns it outright
He's not, some of the existing larger shareholders (notably Kingdom Holding Company) were allowed to roll their shares into the private company, and are now minority shareholders. But the company doesn't have a board of directors anymore, so I don't know what avenue they have to effect any change.

I would pay money to see Elon's supposed self taught rocket engineer knowledge put to the test.

I don't really understand how you can work a job and look after your children at the same time, personally. The scenario you talk about would create a massive burden on employees without children.

Expect better of yourself mate. I know multiple people that do it at a canter.

- Jobs are not hard, and MOST people working from home for Twitter won’t have constant daily deadlines to meet that they don’t set themselves.
- Deadlines set by others will almost never materialise in a matter of minutes and have a short delivery time.
- Kids are pretty easy.

Key question : Why are you talking about people that DONT have kids. And why are you suggesting that they will be impacted by people WITH children? It’s that same small-minded and stunted mindset that boomers live with.

Like, you don’t think that managing childcare and work looks anything like ‘Balancing a laptop on your knee as you act out paw patrol scenes, while cooking dinner and consoling a child’? Surely you know that we’re talking about intelligent adults.

Support working parents to the hilt. Make it as easy as possible, and productivity improves.

In my own two-decade long experience, I’ve never seen children negatively impact a colleagues work. Similarly, I’ve never seen any performance advantage experienced by those without children. That’s the real world. I’m sure the Daily Mail comments section focuses on Danny in accounts that never seems to be online, or Lizzie in Legal that ‘always leaves at 4pm’. But that shit isn’t real.

Lucked into Paypal, right place, right time. Then hopped on EV before it was big but when everyone knew it was coming. Got a little lucky because those early Teslas had massive engineering flaws - I was told by an engineer back in 2012 how poorly designed the batteries were where if the car ran out of a charge once, the entire system could be bricked and costs 10K+ just to fix which is a helluva lot worse than an internal combustion car running out of gas. Then he hopped into SpaceX, acquired a handful of smaller aerospace companies, got a bunch of government contracts and started treating employees like shit early on. You could maybe say he was clever in recognizing opportunities at the right time and having the resources to leverage them but little else. It's still a bit baffling how he ascended to the world's richest man off of overvalued stocks, I think Bezos' fortune has a much more solid foundation.

Thanks for the summary. Much appreciated

- Jobs are not hard, and MOST people working from home for Twitter won’t have constant daily deadlines to meet that they don’t set themselves.
- Deadlines set by others will almost never materialise in a matter of minutes and have a short delivery time.
- Kids are pretty easy.

Key question : Why are you talking about people that DONT have kids. And why are you suggesting that they will be impacted by people WITH children? It’s that same small-minded and stunted mindset that boomers live with.

Like, you don’t think that managing childcare and work looks anything like ‘Balancing a laptop on your knee as you act out paw patrol scenes, while cooking dinner and consoling a child’? Surely you know that we’re talking about intelligent adults.

Support working parents to the hilt. Make it as easy as possible, and productivity improves.

In my own two-decade long experience, I’ve never seen children negatively impact a colleagues work. Similarly, I’ve never seen any performance advantage experienced by those without children. That’s the real world. I’m sure the Daily Mail comments section focuses on Danny in accounts that never seems to be online, or Lizzie in Legal that ‘always leaves at 4pm’. But that shit isn’t real.
You heard it here first. If you work in child care, you really should be doing a second job remotely at the same time because it's so easy.

The idea that rich people are automatically somehow smarter than everyone else is utterly baffling to me. Like, it’s been exposed so many times I don’t know how it is still pedalled.

The idea that rich people are automatically somehow smarter than everyone else is utterly baffling to me. Like, it’s been exposed so many times I don’t know how it is still pedalled.

It probably makes them feel better. Rather than the truth that the world is chaotic and nobody really knows what they’re doing.

- Kids are pretty easy.

I spent 3 years in a job pre pandemic waiting around for wfh parents dicking around with their kids whilst I was in the office lengthening my working days and I’ll hold a vendetta ever since

I spent 3 years in a job pre pandemic waiting around for wfh parents dicking around with their kids whilst I was in the office lengthening my working days and I’ll hold a vendetta ever since

Pretty much my experience in-pandemic. Everyone I dealt with - both professionally and as a customer - that was WFH whilst having kids that needed looking after was an utter disaster, without exception.

Seeing parents with kids getting a lot of hate, I manage a 50+ plus team across India, Mexico and US and the past 24 months mostly have been almost fully "work from home" for all of us. I have an 8-year-old daughter myself and my cousin has three kids, all below 7 years and still works full-time at a reputable software company. It is not easy managing the kids and doing the work, especially with online classes for kids but I can safely say I didn't see a productivity dip. People have made it work and from what I heard from their personal experience, all it takes is having an understanding partner.

All I'm saying is, people with kids (yes, even 3 kids) have thrown themselves at work and have done it successfully. It takes a lot of effort and patience to do it, but it can be done. I have seen people without kids skirt their work as much as people with kids given the opportunity. I have tried to help my team stay flexible by defending them in front of clients as much as possible but it can be done.

Elon Musk is a fecking cnut. Thank you and bye

How do you define "smart"? Many people define it as "successful". Given that everyone wants money, and since many people work very hard to get money ... then those who really succeed at it are "smart". If you understand quantum mechanics really well but you are poor, are you smart? For many people you are not. High IQ by itself is just a number, and IQ alone does not show how successful you are. Often, IQ and money are correlated, but not always.

I am not saying that I agree with this definition, I am saying this is how most people think.

- Kids are pretty easy.

I'm a software engineer and have plenty of experience with children, so I think I'm fairly well placed to have an opinion on this; there is literally no possible way you could be productive doing both at the same time, unless the kids are maybe 7/8+. Distractions from within the workplace can completely ruin the focus you need to write code, never mind something like a child.

We'd all like to live in this fantasy world where employers can't enforce deadlines and work takes a back seat to important things like childcare, but it's really not realistic at the moment.

What you have to remember is that there are so many people in this world that are thick beyond a level you can comprehend.

Last edited:
I'm a software engineer and have plenty of experience with children, so I think I'm fairly well placed to have an opinion on this; there is literally no possible way you could be productive doing both at the same time, unless the kids are maybe 7/8+. Distractions from within the workplace can completely ruin the focus you need to write code, never mind something like a child.

We'd all like to live in this fantasy world where employers can't enforce deadlines and work takes a back seat to important things like childcare, but it's really not realistic at the moment.

I'm a lawyer and some of my colleagues with kids under 10 come to the office volontarily when they're supposed to work from home because they say they can't focus enough when they have complicated tasks to perform.
I guess it depends on the field and if your partner can watch the kids when you really need to focus but for us, WFH isn't always doable in good conditions.

I'm a lawyer and some of my colleagues with kids under 10 come to the office volontarily when they're supposed to work from home because they say they can't focus enough when they have complicated tasks to perform.
I guess it depends on the field and if your partner can watch the kids when you really need to focus but for us, WFH isn't always doable in good conditions.
It's ridiculous to suggest that anyone working as part of a team can do it, in my opinion. I completely understand that it solves problems for the parents themselves in terms of childcare costs etc., and that's why they think it's great, but there is a noticeable difference in a team environment when you have team members doing it(people constantly away from their desks during 'normal' working hours). It creates frustration in a collaborative environment, in my experience.

It was unavoidable during Covid for a lot of people, but I really don't think it's a feasible strategy long term. If everyone was in the exact same situation, then maybe there could be a solution based on redefining common work hours, but when the majority of the work force either don't have kids, or have kids that don't need constant minding, I don't see how it works.

I have friends who have kids and simply don't like kids.

There are all kinds of people out there.

Controversial opinion but why not let them decide whether to come in or not, seeing as we're talking about professionals who can make reasonably mature decisions for themselves?

Controversial opinion but why not let them decide whether to come in or not, seeing as we're talking about professionals who can make reasonably mature decisions for themselves?

Yes, that's the best. That's what was happening at Twitter.

But asshole managers like Elon do not like this working at home thing because it gives them less power over their worker lives.

It's ridiculous to suggest that anyone working as part of a team can do it, in my opinion. I completely understand that it solves problems for the parents themselves in terms of childcare costs etc., and that's why they think it's great, but there is a noticeable difference in a team environment when you have team members doing it(people constantly away from their desks during 'normal' working hours). It creates frustration in a collaborative environment, in my experience.

It was unavoidable during Covid for a lot of people, but I really don't think it's a feasible strategy long term. If everyone was in the exact same situation, then maybe there could be a solution based on redefining common work hours, but when the majority of the work force either don't have kids, or have kids that don't need constant minding, I don't see how it works.

The whole world has been working from home for a good part of two years. I'm sorry that your anecdotal experience hasn't been great, but it's not so ridiculous to suggest that you can successfully work in a team and have kids. I mean, what the feck?

Pretty much my experience in-pandemic. Everyone I dealt with - both professionally and as a customer - that was WFH whilst having kids that needed looking after was an utter disaster, without exception.
I think the big difference there was that the circumstances meant the kids were at home rather than at school or child care. Obviously that's changed since.

The whole world has been working from home for a good part of two years. I'm sorry that your anecdotal experience hasn't been great, but it's not so ridiculous to suggest that you can successfully work in a team and have kids. I mean, what the feck?
Where have I ever said you can't have kids :lol:, I'm specifically talking about having no childcare whatsoever whilst parents are working a 9-5 job.

Seeing parents with kids getting a lot of hate, I manage a 50+ plus team across India, Mexico and US and the past 24 months mostly have been almost fully "work from home" for all of us. I have an 8-year-old daughter myself and my cousin has three kids, all below 7 years and still works full-time at a reputable software company. It is not easy managing the kids and doing the work, especially with online classes for kids but I can safely say I didn't see a productivity dip. People have made it work and from what I heard from their personal experience, all it takes is having an understanding partner.

All I'm saying is, people with kids (yes, even 3 kids) have thrown themselves at work and have done it successfully. It takes a lot of effort and patience to do it, but it can be done. I have seen people without kids skirt their work as much as people with kids given the opportunity. I have tried to help my team stay flexible by defending them in front of clients as much as possible but it can be done.

Elon Musk is a fecking cnut. Thank you and bye
That's all well and good, but saying "all it takes is having an understanding partner" doesn't make any sense to me. It takes skill to keep kids from interrupting your every moment.

I'm glad it's worked in your experience, I'm sure plenty of people pull it off, though I can only imagine it means you aren't just working 8-5, or whatever, because you have to stop working and parent, on the regular. Surely this means working outside of normal hours to make up for it.

Once the kids are a bit older it's a completely different story of course, if they're not maniacs. But plenty of people have little parenting skill, if you talk to a public school teacher.

Man's firing Principal Engineers for disagreeing with him on some slack channel. Full blown Stalin paranoia.

This is mental never seen shit like this. Employee morale must be at an all time low surely everyone not fired must be looking for another gig.

That's all well and good, but saying "all it takes is having an understanding partner" doesn't make any sense to me. It takes skill to keep kids from interrupting your every moment.

I'm glad it's worked in your experience, I'm sure plenty of people pull it off, though I can only imagine it means you aren't just working 8-5, or whatever, because you have to stop working and parent, on the regular. Surely this means working outside of normal hours to make up for it.

Once the kids are a bit older it's a completely different story of course, if they're not maniacs. But plenty of people have little parenting skill, if you talk to a public school teacher.

My wife has just started working and through the pandemic, she was taking care of my kid. So my personal experience doesn't count. However, I have seen a lot of parents manage it well and several people in my team have made it work with 9 to 5 jobs with the kids attending online school. Plenty of people do pull it off and you don't have to imagine that they aren't working 8 to 5.

I'm not sure I agree that plenty of people have little parenting skills. Maybe I'm living in a different world than what you live in.