Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

How can he fire people so easily at will? Wouldnt there be severance? Law suits? Or at least compensation package? It's not like it's a ground to fire or any gross misconduct.

They will certainly get severance.

I assume that some people no longer want to work there, so it is better for them if they get fired and receive a compensation package, than just quit.

To be fair she was asking for it. Criticize your boss (being right or wrong) online this way and see what happens.

Elon is a cnut, but that was stupid.... specially bc lon is a cnut
While that's true I'm sure she knew the implications and it is important that people push back against the way he's dealing with his work force and what better way than on Twitter.

They will certainly get severance.

I assume that some people no longer want to work there, so it is better for them if they get fired and receive a compensation package, than just quit.

In here severance could be 1 month salary for every 1 year tenure. I dont know in US but that's hardly a number you can throw at will if you have a workforce who's been there for years

In here severance could be 1 month salary for every 1 year tenure. I dont know in US but that's hardly a number you can throw at will if you have a workforce who's been there for years

It is not uniform. It depends on the contract, and every contract can be different in private companies like Twitter.

there’s some things that aren’t progress and getting rid of a handbrake is one of them. It’s so easy just to yank it up as opposed to fiddling around to press a button.

When I got my ICE with a button handbrake I thought the same initially, but it's a lot easier in practice.

There is a button if you want to use it (in the same position as the lever usually is), but in reality you never need to touch it as it automatically puts it on and releases it for me. When I am either stopped for 5 seconds or turn off the ignition it puts it on, and it auto releases as soon as I touch the clutch.

It also keeps the brakes applied if at a stop before the 5 second mark so releasing the brake pedal is not a problem beforehand.

5000 employees gotten rid of. If they all earnt 10k a month, and all started back in 2006, and were all entitled to 1 month's severance per year worked, that's 160,000x5000, or 800,000,000. Or, less than 2% of what he paid for Twitter in the first place. He can afford it.

The Elon-Twitter meltdown is funny, but not as funny as people saying working at home with young children is super easy, barely an inconvenience.
:lol:
Yeah, I've got two kids and during pandemic, there are days where I prefer to work at the office and there are days that I'm glad I can work from home.
Hybrid is the best option IMO. Flexibility to choose when to WFH or WFO would be ideal.

5000 employees gotten rid of. If they all earnt 10k a month, and all started back in 2006, and were all entitled to 1 month's severance per year worked, that's 160,000x5000, or 800,000,000. Or, less than 2% of what he paid for Twitter in the first place. He can afford it.
He's not the one paying it

It is not uniform. It depends on the contract, and every contract can be different in private companies like Twitter.

I imagine that if they are terminsted because misconduct, he can try not pay them a dime because of breach of contract

In spain us not the same terminate an employee with cause than without cause

Isn’t California an “at will” state basically meaning people can be fired for basically no reason? I can’t claim to understand how these laws work but it’s something I’ve heard republicans fighting for in various states over the years.

Isn’t California an “at will” state basically meaning people can be fired for basically no reason? I can’t claim to understand how these laws work but it’s something I’ve heard republicans fighting for in various states over the years.
When I worked there for a FAANG company, I had an ‘at will’ contract which means that they could have fired me at any time and without any excuse, and I could have left them at any time and without any notice period.

Most companies would give large severance packages to layout employees, but not to fired employees. And many employees would in turn sue the companies after getting fired (but not after getting layout).

Elon Musk has told staff they must commit to a new “hardcore” Twitter or he will fire them, in an email seen by Independent.ie.

Irish staff received the email this morning, which warns them that the company will become “extremely hardcore” in the future.

“This will mean working long hours at high intensity,” he said. “Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

Staff were told to click “yes” on a link to pledge themselves to the new company, with a commitment required from Irish staff by 10pm tomorrow. If they do not sign that pledge, they will be fired with three months pay, the email threatened.

So fecking stupid.

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"

- Ned Schneebly Elon Musk

Yes, that's the best. That's what was happening at Twitter.

But asshole managers like Elon do not like this working at home thing because it gives them less power over their worker lives.
Well, he doesn't have a home to go to so why should his workers get to stay at home?

As a recruiter, my job is so easy that I have my 3 year old do it for me while I browse the caf in my boss's time. He has all the social skills most of these coding nerds I recruit have anyway.
.......do you work in my office? This could be awkward.

How can he fire people so easily at will? Wouldnt there be severance? Law suits? Or at least compensation package? It's not like it's a ground to fire or any gross misconduct.
Have you heard of Tesla? Happy to have racist and dangerous culture at his sites. Guy doesn't care and because he is rich, can get away with it, via small fines etc.

Stolen off Twitter (saw it multiple places). Made me literally spit my coffee out.

FhqHJx8UAAAZo-M

isn't US labour law like basically nonexistent? I always had the impression you can fire anybody at any time if you'd like to

Twitter will probably fail under him, can't wait to see it liquidate.

I think he's a very bright guy but he's also one of the dumbest managers.

I'd hate to work for him.

Twitter will probably fail under him, can't wait to see it liquidate.

I think he's a very bright guy but he's also one of the dumbest managers.

I'd hate to work for him.
Strangely, I'd love to work for him because I know he is really, really dumb. Combined with a huge ego, I could easily play him like a flute.

.......do you work in my office? This could be awkward.
I do.

Actually I work for a large mental health care organization and don't actually recruit people anymore, but I had to vent some of my inner rage about being talked down to by software developers a lot while I was a young cnut working for a shady secondment agency.

I really, really hope the entire remaining work force of Twitter outright refuses that commitment, just to see if he'll actually fire everyone. No one in their right mind should commit to something like that anyway. His sycophants will probably praise him for getting rid of "lazy" devs though.