Downing to Liverpool?

alastair

ignorant
I agree.

But seeing as Rooney has been a KEY player in winning those trophies, it's a daft question.
Yes, but I think Rooney has been worth the money - that's how I would have argued the point.

But you seem to think that a top player is only worth £20m tops, which would mean Rooney would have had to be Messi-like to be worth £27m.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Went for similar fees really. An interesting argument would be to determine whether Rooney has been worth his £27m.
How is there any argument about that? He's scored loads of goals, been a talismanic figure and for at least 2 seasons basically carried the club.

You're right, I was referring to Henderson. But seeing as you mention it, & having the advantage of retrospect on my side. After 4 years at the club, I think it's fair to say that Anderson certainly hasn't lived up to his hefty price-tag. Therefore, not having the advantage of foresight, it's only right & proper that you give our big Geordie lad 3 or 4 years before deciding whether or not we've got value for money.
Anderson was 23 a couple of months ago. Not many centre midfielders are the finished article by then. He has been inconsistent, but he's also put in plenty of good performances. Also, I don't think he cost as much as that, certainly not before add-ons, though it's never been clear.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
It doesn't take an IQ of 150 to work out that Carroll could well prove his worth. I do get the impression that ever since United have stopped buying big, people here don't get that fees have got higher and higher as a whole. £35m for players will not be the exception anymore, they'll be happening every summer.
You're spot on there, it would appear around 70 did the trick!:smirk:

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Yes, but I think Rooney has been worth the money - that's how I would have argued the point.

But you seem to think that a top player is only worth £20m tops, which would mean Rooney would have had to be Messi-like to be worth £27m.
Your stand is irrelavent - even asking the question was daft.

I've never said that top players are worth max £20m.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Gillespie (another Arsenal fan) once said that Rooney was "finished" at 21 years old

They must be giving them something in the water down at the Emirates

alastair

ignorant
Gillespie (another Arsenal fan) once said that Rooney was "finished" at 21 years old

They must be giving them something in the water down at the Emirates
OK - I said Rooney was worth the money - I merely stated that if Cnut thinks that top players go for £20m tops then Rooney at £27m would appear over-priced. Don't let me stop you from trying to be clever without actually reading posts though.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
OK - I said Rooney was worth the money - I merely stated that if Cnut thinks that top players go for £20m tops then Rooney at £27m would appear over-priced. Don't let me stop you from trying to be clever without actually reading posts though.
Top players can go for less than £20m and for more than £20m.

Dunno what that's got to do with the Carroll transfer though, seeing as he's not a top player.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You stated it after the fact

Everyone else responded to your question whether Rooney was worth the money

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think if you asked most people on the universe who had the higher ceiling - Welbeck or Carroll, most would side with the latter, to be fair.
That point didn't actually have anything to do with Welbeck whatsoever. The point you seemed to be making was that it's a very real possibility that Carroll could go on to score 25 PL goals a season (compared to someone who's levels below like Santa Cruz).

Yes, it's just the 'senior' posters not reading things these days...

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Rooney's transfer was years ago, and he was widely touted by an admittedly sensationalist media as 'The White Pele'! While he has obviously not lived up to such an elaborate billing, i think it's fairly reasonable to suggest he has been widely acknowledged by the vast majority of the footballing world as a world class footballer for quite a number of years.

Carroll cannot reasonably be assumed to be anything more than a promising, young centre forward, and i certainly don't recall anyone singling him out as a potential world beater. Liverpool were simply desperate to land a CF after selling Torres and subsequently paid well over the odds, considering the level of talent he had shown up to that point.

I do agree that most of the top players will now go for extortionate amounts due to the consistently excessive fees paid by Madrid, Chelsea and now City. Maybe the fair play initiative being introduced next season will force some sanity back into the market, if we're lucky!

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
I've never really rated Downing.

I think he's decent, certainly not good enough for United.

I honestly hope posters don't want him here because it would be taking the transfer muppetry too far.

We don't have to sign everything that moves.

twitter thread suggester
To be fair, there isn't much difference between the likes of Lennon, Young and Johnson. Although, calling them mid-table mediocrity is just usual hyperbole from Storey.

I reckon Walcott will be added to the list in a couple years.