Downing to Liverpool?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Each team is biased but Young offers a lot more in terms of versatility and set pieces, and he's a better crosser. ....
Is that true really? Downing can play elft back,elft wing back, center midfield and left wing. He has an excellent cross on him and can take a good free kick too. He is no where near as bad as some make out. He will be as useful to them as Kuyt has been. Probably by even more so.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I remember a time people here were laughing at us having signed Lucas when your lot had signed Anderson (for triple the fee).

Yes I am rubbing that one in.
And thank god for that!

Donkey's Ears

Is that true really? Downing can play elft back,elft wing back, center midfield and left wing. He has an excellent cross on him and can take a good free kick too. He is no where near as bad as some make out. He will be as useful to them as Kuyt has been. Probably by even more so.
Downing is amazingly one-footed. And he can play left back and central midfield but not well.

MUFCgal

I remember a time people here were laughing at us having signed Lucas when your lot had signed Anderson (for triple the fee).

Anderson scored a penalty in the CL final to help us win it, in his debut season.

What has Lucas ever done?

Donkey's Ears

lol. He has played as much on the right as he has on the left for villa this past season. Not onefooted at all.
He just cuts in from the right. That is all. He is very one-footed, not as much as Valencia, but not far off.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

I remember a time when Liverpool fans were getting giddy over the potential strike force of Robbie Keane and Torres. Look how has that turned out.

Oh and Btw Lucas were derided by your own fans not too long ago.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Anderson scored a penalty in the CL final to help us win it, in his debut season.

What has Lucas ever done?
bullied your midfield half a dozen times over?

Scoring a penalty in a shootout is an incredibly lame highlight for any player.

MUFCgal

Anderson was seen as one of Europe's best young prospects when we signed him, hence the fee (same with Nani).

He's won everything with United (bar the FA Cup), and I do believe he has more in him to improve.

I just find it funny how a Liverpool fan think they can rub anything in at the moment.

Cina

He's not a bad player at all, he's a good winger and Liverpool desperately need wingers, but whilst he can 'play' in some of the positions you've mentioned, he's pretty ineffective in them.

His argument was that he's as good as Young and will hit the same heights Valencia has because he's moving to a better club, neither of which I believe are true.

redfan

It's not the colour of your shirt that counts, it'
Suarez was the other guy no one was interested in. At all. He was a left sided, attacking type player. In fact could have been a good buy for you now that we all know you were desperate to sign Young.

Suarez would have been a reasonable 'bench at best' type player for you I reckon.
United are quite well off for strikers at present and were at the time you bought Suarez, as for the other crap you have bought this pre season I think Dogleash is settled on finishing 5th or 6th.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
feck me we come with out with shite arguments. Absolutely shite. As of now, Lucas has been a much better buy for Liverpool than Anderson has been for us. Anderson has had moments of magic, but Lucas the last two years has been consistently putting in good performances for Liverpool.

However I would say Anderson has much more potential to step up his game even more. At times last season he had games which I think Lucas would struggle to match. Anderson has a lot more in his locker, even if they're not really that similar. However it doesn't matter if he's scored a goal in the CL final, Lucas has been the better buy.. so far.

If you want to compare purchases though. Berbatov was a lot better than Keane. Hernandez a much better buy than Carroll. Valencia, Evra, Vidic have reached a height that no current Liverpool players can match. Our club and squad are a lot better than Liverpools, so what if Lucas was a good buy. He's one good buy among many many flops.

Sir A1ex

feck me we come with out with shite arguments. Absolutely shite. As of now, Lucas has been a much better buy for Liverpool than Anderson has been for us. Anderson has had moments of magic, but Lucas the last two years has been consistently putting in good performances for Liverpool.
You're right that we can wear red tinted specs, but this specific argument is bizarre... Lucas was absoultely shite for Liverpool for ages, only rutned it round at all in teh second half of last season, and even then the suspicion remains that he has just emerged as the best of a bad lot - it's not like Liverpool achieved anything remotley impressive last season.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The thing with Suarez is, we've seen his type come to the prem before. Arshavin came to Arsenal and excelled in pretty much the same circumstances. Hyped massively, in a poor league, signed for big money, and after an explosive start, soon faded.

How Liverpool fans can proclaim Suarez is the next big thing is beyond me. He's looked good in some games... but he disappeared in some as well. There's already a stroppy side which has been shown ,and the match everyone raves about (against United at anfield) we had the worst defence we put out all last season. Injuries had killed us. I'll be very interested to see the rating of Suarez at the end of next season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Anderson should become a far better player than Lucas could ever hope to be. He may not ever become that player, but he has the potential. At the moment Lucas is more consistent, but I certainly wouldn't swap them.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You're right that we can wear red tinted specs, but this specific argument is bizarre... Lucas was absoultely shite for Liverpool for ages, only rutned it round at all in teh second half of last season, and even then the suspicion remains that he has just emerged as the best of a bad lot - it's not like Liverpool achieved anything remotley impressive last season.
Come on, Lucas has been quality all last season, and for most of the season before that. He's a Carrick like player in many ways, if you don't watch a full match, he doesn't seem to be doing a great deal, but he's certainly a good player. I don't think he'll ever be great, but to be honest, I'd take him at United over any Liverpool player.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Lucas is quietly effective. He was muck when he first came on the scene but has definitely developed into a decent CM

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Wow and here I thought no one could do worse than Peterstorey! You get my vote for this year's awards.

alastair

ignorant
Where did the Anderson dominated Fabregas thing come from? If Cesc had a poor game in a game in which Anderson played, it was probably a coincidence.

amolbhatia50k

I think 'rubbing in' the fact that you have Lucas and we Anderson who cost more is a bit odd given noone in their right mind supporting United would trade the two. Lucas has overcome his rubbish beginning to become a solid player but at his best he'd be a squad player at United. Anderson on the other hand has the ability to be a top notch player. His best performances are of a much higher level than the likes of Lucas. So for me if Anderson doesn't fulfill his potential he'll end up a player who would be a good squad player for us, like Lucas would.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Worth bearing in mind that Anderson is almost a year younger than Leive and has had a couple of serious long-term injuries in recent years which will have delayed his development slightly.

Also worth bearing in mind that Leiva only really came good as a result of playing for a team shit enough that he was able to start almost every game for them, without any meaningful competition for his place. Playing that amount of football in any season will always improve a young player dramatically. If Anderson establishes himself as a first-team regular next season we should expect a similar improvement to what Liverpool have seen with Leiva, albeit from a much higher starting point.

amolbhatia50k

Anderson should become a far better player than Lucas could ever hope to be. He may not ever become that player, but he has the potential. At the moment Lucas is more consistent, but I certainly wouldn't swap them.
That's spot on.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Also worth bearing in mind that Leiva only really came good as a result of playing for a team shit enough that he was able to start almost every game for them, without any meaningful competition for his place. Playing that amount of football in any season will always improve a young player dramatically. If Anderson establishes himself as a first-team regular next season we should expect a similar improvement to what Liverpool have seen with Leiva, albeit from a much higher starting point.
Fletcher

MUFCgal

Where did the Anderson dominated Fabregas thing come from? If Cesc had a poor game in a game in which Anderson played, it was probably a coincidence.
So, are you saying Cesc is too good to be dominated by another player?

You're saying if he's out-fought in midfield, it's simply because he had a bad game, and nothing to do with the other player simply being better than him on the day?

alastair

ignorant
So, are you saying Cesc is too good to be dominated by another player?

You're saying if he's out-fought in midfield, it's simply because he had a bad game, and nothing to do with the other player simply being better than him on the day?
Well I would argue that given Cesc is an infinitely better player than Anderson, it would require a good performance from Anderson and a poor one from Cesc for Anderson to be better on the day.

I don't get why you have such high hopes for Anderson to be honest - I can count the times I was vaguely impressed by him on one hand. As ever, willing to be proven wrong on him.

MUFCgal

Well I would argue that given Cesc is an infinitely better player than Anderson, it would require a good performance from Anderson and a poor one from Cesc for Anderson to be better on the day.

I don't get why you have such high hopes for Anderson to be honest - I can count the times I was vaguely impressed by him on one hand. As ever, willing to be proven wrong on him.
I remember Anderson's first season with us, very well of course. I remember he came up against both Cesc and Gerrard in the respective matches against Arsenal and Liverpool, and he was more than a match for both of them.

For a young lad, new into England and the PL, coming up against two of the best midfielders in the world, and on the day yes he was better than both of them in those matches.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Anderson has good pace, good technique and a nice passing range but has always struck me as suffering from a mild case of the Babels. Ie, he lacks semblance of a proper footballing brain. Which is a bit criminal for a central midfielder.

Cina

This is about Downing, not about Anderson and Leiva, to be fair.