Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

That definition just means very little to me. Every single player in the league with 2-3 seasons under their belt is EPL proven then.

Not a failure, necessarily. Just not someone I'd wanna spend that kind of money on. Especially when he doesn't seem to fill a specific gap in the team.
But he is still proven in EPL, right? You know exactly how he plays in this league. Proven to be a success or failure is another story.

I sure hope so. That midfield sounds wide open.. Nicki Minaj style.
White Saliba Gabriel
Rice Zinchenko

Could definitely be got at. Assume he will expect Odegaard, Havertz to run their socks off. I'm not saying its a good tactic for Arsenal.

But he is still proven in EPL, right? You know exactly how he plays in this league. Proven to be a success or failure is another story.

Yeah, I get that there is a risk element taken out. And to be fair to Havertz, he has played under a lot of turmoil and in some Chelsea teams that have not been impressive. Maybe he will look better in a good Arsenal team. I just still think it's a lot of money for what he has shown.

Personally think this is a moneyball type signing. A lot of analysis on numbers that fit whatever is lacking in our current squad.

Yeah, I get that there is a risk element taken out. And to be fair to Havertz, he has played under a lot of turmoil and in some Chelsea teams that have not been impressive. Maybe he will look better in a good Arsenal team. I just still think it's a lot of money for what he has shown.
Yeah at the same time I won't say Sancho is EPL proven yet as last season may be his bed in period. After 3 season he will be also EPL proven.

I don’t particularly rate Havertz as a footballer but I think to get the best out of him he needs to 1. Play in a complete/free flowing team in an attacking sense and 2. Play in a team that creates a lot of chances. The two intertwine and Arsenal going off last season do both. He’s most similar to Dele Alli in a sense that his movement and ghosting in goal scoring positions is very good, and playing off a striker is where he’d be most effective.

The problem with these type of players is they’re often not involved in the match unless they are scoring. So if Arsenal’s level as a team drops, so will Havertz’s.

Makes me think we can get a good fee for Sancho.

Both were class in the Bundesliga but didn’t really perform in the Premier League.

It's not just the player. It's the transfer fee for me. Chelsea are getting back the majority of the fee they paid for him anger a pretty poor spell.

Money Chelsea may use to buy Moisés Caicedo. The same guy Arsenal were trying to buy in January!

Makes me think we can get a good fee for Sancho.

Both were class in the Bundesliga but didn’t really perform in the Premier League.

Except Havertz is reportedly on £150,000, whereas Sancho is on £350,000 at United.

We need to face the fact that unless Sancho is willing to take a salary cut in the region of £150,000 per week* (would you, in his position), then we've no option but to find a role for him.

*Dortmund pay Haller about £190,000 per week apparently, so my thinking is our best hope is they would pay Sancho £200,000 to rejoin them.

Sancho on 375k a week. Havertz on 150k.

No clubs is going to take Sancho's wages on.

Except Havertz is reportedly on £150,000, whereas Sancho is on £350,000 at United.

We need to face the fact that unless Sancho is willing to take a salary cut in the region of £150,000 per week* (would you, in his position), then we've no option but to find a role for him.

*Dortmund pay Haller about £190,000 per week apparently, so my thinking is our best hope is they would pay Sancho £200,000 to rejoin them.

Pretty sure I read in the Athletic that Havertz is on around £300k per week actually, I’ll see if I can dig out the article.

Yep, he’s on close to £300k per week, as reported by the Athletic here: https://theathletic.com/3671359/2022/10/10/havertz-chelsea-goals/?source=user_shared_article

“Havertz joined in a deal worth up to £90million ($99.8m) from Bayer Leverkusen in 2020 and is one of the highest-paid players at the club on a wage close to £300,000 a week.”

Seems an horrific deal for Arsenal but they must be thinking in a functioning side he can do something.

English Football gone mad theses days...50 mill gets for bang average

I actually think some of Havertz’s best games where he shone the brightest was in the inside right channel. That pocket just off the right flank has been his sweet spot for us. The problem is that is the same area of the pitch Odegaard likes to operate in. They’re both good players though, so I’m sure they can work out how to interchange and impact games.

Unless Arteta has diffeeent ideas for Havertz, in which case, this will be a fun one to follow.

Did you mean ambivalent? I was too until I saw he made the most flick-ons for Chelsea this season.
Was a few gins down. Point remains, he's been the least terrible of a godawful bunch. You think their own fans would appreciate that.

Why have we bought him though - that's anyone's guess.

Pretty sure I read in the Athletic that Havertz is on around £300k per week actually, I’ll see if I can dig out the article.

Yep, he’s on close to £300k per week, as reported by the Athletic here: https://theathletic.com/3671359/2022/10/10/havertz-chelsea-goals/?source=user_shared_article

“Havertz joined in a deal worth up to £90million ($99.8m) from Bayer Leverkusen in 2020 and is one of the highest-paid players at the club on a wage close to £300,000 a week.”
11m a year is 210k/pw, i doubt he dropped 90k because he loves Arteta's sweet talking. This 300k figure is bollocks.

Most other sites reporting much less.

But if The Athletic is right, then is makes the transfer even more bizarre. He, along with Saka on his new deal, will be the highest paid players in the club.
Arsenal would be committing 140+mil for 5 years on one player, who will, according to some, become a squad player!

Think I'll go against the grain here, he'll do well for them as he is talented and versatile. Will be a good fit for their fluid system. The Mudryk deal was much more baffling.

I agree he still has potential to be a top player, but, I find it strange fir with Arsenal. Havertz is not a striker, not a front 3 man, he should be playing as most advanced of a midfield 3. Odergard is that man for Arsenal and obviously quality too. I think he would of fitted well in that midfield position for Liverpool who haven't had a quality attacking midfielder for years.

Chelsea selling everyone to prem rivals :lol:

Nobody else can afford the prices they want and for Prem clubs it will seem like a fairly low cost option.

I think if clubs held off for a few weeks or a month, Chelsea would have panicked and slashed prices just to move players on. Feels like clubs are doing them a favour.

How on earth have they wangled 70m for this guy?

Remember the time people were jealous they'd signed Havertz, Werner, Pulisic, Lukaku, Ziyech.
None of them could even come close to be judged a success.

I think if clubs held off for a few weeks or a month, Chelsea would have panicked and slashed prices just to move players on. Feels like clubs are doing them a favour.
The price may be lower closer to the end of the transfer window but the player will miss the preseason, so there is pros and cons to do business early.

The price may be lower closer to the end of the transfer window but the player will miss the preseason, so there is pros and cons to do business early.

Fair point. Was just thinking about how Chelsea are in a desperate situation there to be taken advantage of.

How on earth have they wangled 70m for this guy?

Remember the time people were jealous they'd signed Havertz, Werner, Pulisic, Lukaku, Ziyech.
None of them could even come close to be judged a success.
Out of these 5 only Havertz earned a second chance in a EPL top 6 club, and probaby without pay cut. So i guess it is a success?

Out of these 5 only Havertz earned a second chance in a EPL top 6 club, and probaby without pay cut. So i guess it is a success?

He's done well to move to a higher placed team for sure.
But he never really cut it for any period at Chelsea. No-one really even knows what his best position is either.

Nobody else can afford the prices they want and for Prem clubs it will seem like a fairly low cost option.

It’s the tactic we should do. Tell Chelsea to accept our Mount offer or we’re moving on. We’re the only ones interested in him so unless they sell to us they’re losing him for nothing. We should put out some reports linking us to other players to get them worrying.

It’s the tactic we should do. Tell Chelsea to accept our Mount offer or we’re moving on. We’re the only ones interested in him so unless they sell to us they’re losing him for nothing. We should put out some reports linking us to other players to get them worrying.
May be I am old school. It is better to enter into a negotiation with good will and agree to a deal both parties are happy with. It is more important to build good relationship than saving a few millions.

The longer it goes on, of nobody else comes in above our offer, they'll be forced to accept. But as pointed out, you also lose valuable time integrating him into he team so it's a balancing act.

Ambiguous about this transfer but you guys are pathetic....

Watch him play would be better.
He played the most minutes last season, he should be first on most of these.

Name a player that has been bought for 65mil with the intention of that player adding "squad depth".

City are buying Kovačić at 30mil for squad depth, same with Arsenal adding Trossard for 20mil. United looking to buy Mount around 50mil is with the intention of improving the first XI and pushing Erikson.

You don’t buy a player and intentionally label them a squad player. You build a squad that is capable of competing on multiple fronts

And to build a squad where the quality doesn’t drop it’s expensive. None of Silva, Mahrez, Laporte, Phillips are guaranteed starters…they just add to squad depth/quality and all cost a pretty penny.

Sancho was 85M and put brutally, just adds to our squad depth. He’s far from a guaranteed starter