Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

You don’t buy a player and intentionally label them a squad player. You build a squad that is capable of competing on multiple fronts

And to build a squad where the quality doesn’t drop it’s expensive. None of Silva, Mahrez, Laporte, Phillips are guaranteed starters…they just add to squad depth/quality and all cost a pretty penny.

Sancho was 85M and put brutally, just adds to our squad depth. He’s far from a guaranteed starter
While this is very true, Arsenal obviously doesn't have the same transfer & wage budget as City and Utd. Havertz and Rice will be direct replacement for Xhaka and Partey, and both of them will compete with Jorginho, ESR, Vieira, Elneny for the starting spot in midfield.

Their fans seem to hate each other but Arsenal and Chelsea seem the only two Premier League top clubs that engage in a lot of transfers between themselves.

While this is very true, Arsenal obviously doesn't have the same transfer & wage budget as City and Utd. Havertz and Rice will be direct replacement for Xhaka and Partey, and both of them will compete with Jorginho, ESR, Vieira, Elneny for the starting spot in midfield.
Did honestly overlook these guys likely leaving.

Not overly familiar with Arsenal but weren’t the two mentioned played deeper. Expecting Havertz to be cover/rotated with Odegaard and Jesus aswell. And a better option than Nketiah & Maitland-Niles

tbf, Nketiah did do quite well when called upon.

unless Arteta goes full Pep, and hoping for rice to sit behind Odegaard, martinelli, Saka, Havertz and Jesus as per Rodri behind Haaland, KDB, Grealish, Gundogan and Silva.

Either way, I don’t understand some melting down over the 65 fee. Think it’s decent business. Better than paying 85 for Sancho at least

Did honestly overlook these guys likely leaving.

Not overly familiar with Arsenal but weren’t the two mentioned played deeper. Expecting Havertz to be cover/rotated with Odegaard and Jesus aswell. And a better option than Nketiah & Maitland-Niles

tbf, Nketiah did do quite well when called upon.

unless Arteta goes full Pep, and hoping for rice to sit behind Odegaard, martinelli, Saka, Havertz and Jesus as per Rodri behind Haaland, KDB, Grealish, Gundogan and Silva.

Either way, I don’t understand some melting down over the 65 fee. Think it’s decent business. Better than paying 85 for Sancho at least
Xhaka has been moved up as #8 last season. so it will be front five with Saka and Martinelli staying wide, Jesus as false 9, with both Havertz and Odegaard support him/interchanging with him. Rice will join with Zinchenko or sometimes with White in the midfield. so it is either a 2-3-5 or 3-2-5.

The longer it goes on, of nobody else comes in above our offer, they'll be forced to accept. But as pointed out, you also lose valuable time integrating him into he team so it's a balancing act.
Don’t imagine he’d need much time to adapt as like someone from abroad. Obviously he’ll need to get to know the manager/new team mates and style of play. It will help having English players like Rashford and Shaw who will help him settle. But ye the quicker this gets done the better. Need some fresh players for pre season…

he’d have been better off leaving the league, don’t think it’ll work out for him in the Prem

May be I am old school. It is better to enter into a negotiation with good will and agree to a deal both parties are happy with. It is more important to build good relationship than saving a few millions.
You’d think we already have some kind of relationship with them after signing Mata from them. They’re trying to rinse us for a player that has 1 year on his contract yet they sell Kovacic who is probably a better midfielder to city for 30m.

You’d think we already have some kind of relationship with them after signing Mata from them. They’re trying to rinse us for a player that has 1 year on his contract yet they sell Kovacic who is probably a better midfielder to city for 30m.
Those people you had relationship with in Chelsea were all fired last season. Kovacic is 29, and Mount is only 24 with the English tax, so not quite the same.

Last edited:
Don't think he's worth the fee but I also wasn't sure about Odegaard and Ramsdale so what do I know. I can see why Arteta likes him but he hasn't looked like he's found his feet in the league.

Watch him play would be better.
He played the most minutes last season, he should be first on most of these.

Yeah he played a lot more minutes than any of the other forwards. Sterling's the only one who got even close and even he clocked ~650 mins less than Havertz. Every other attacking player Havertz outplayed by a factor of around 3 times the amount of minutes or more.

And even if he was statistically the 'best' of our attacking players last season that still doesn't mean he was even half decent. After all we finished 12th and our team scored a total of 38 goals across the full league season for fecks sake.

Like I've said a bunch of times on here I do think there's a talented player in there but he absolutely needs the team to be built around his best qualities for him to shine, so unless Arsenal have a clear plan on how to utilize him I wouldn't expect him to pull any trees there either. All this talk of him being a versatile player who can fill in at many positions sounds exactly the kind of idea that got us in the shit with Havertz in the first place.

This probably has been discussed but where are they intending to play him? They literally have 2 left footed playmakers that like to drift from right in Saka and Odegaard already. Weird..

indecisive-i-dont-know.gif

The longer it goes on, of nobody else comes in above our offer, they'll be forced to accept. But as pointed out, you also lose valuable time integrating him into he team so it's a balancing act.

Poch does not want to lose him. If Man Utd does not negotiate, the owners can say that they honored his request and Poch has a year to turn him around on leaving. Nobody is pushing him out the door.

Yeah he played a lot more minutes than any of the other forwards. Sterling's the only one who got even close and even he clocked ~650 mins less than Havertz. Every other attacking player Havertz outplayed by a factor of around 3 times the amount of minutes or more.

And even if he was statistically the 'best' of our attacking players last season that still doesn't mean he was even half decent. After all we finished 12th and our team scored a total of 38 goals across the full league season for fecks sake.

Like I've said a bunch of times on here I do think there's a talented player in there but he absolutely needs the team to be built around his best qualities for him to shine, so unless Arsenal have a clear plan on how to utilize him I wouldn't expect him to pull any trees there either. All this talk of him being a versatile player who can fill in at many positions sounds exactly the kind of idea that got us in the shit with Havertz in the first place.

I'm sure Arteta has a plan for him. One thing he has proven as that he can teach attacking systems with fluid movements where players all know their roles, and willing runners both with and without the ball, willing to run in behind as well.

I don't mean to have a go but I don't believe you could really say that about Chelsea for the full time Havertz has been there. The best coached Chelsea have been in his time was under Tuchel and it was a masterclass in solid defensive structure for a while, but not really in attacking.

For this reason I find it very difficult to judge Chelsea players of the past few years, especially attacking players. They've signed players that have excelled in previous teams and systems, like Cucurella, Sterling, Ziyech, Werner, Havertz etc, that have looked average at best in theirs.
Everyone always criticises the players, but the common theme is the environment they are playing in.

We can all laugh at Chelsea last year business or Arsenal over paying..

But the fact that we can’t get a decent 15m pound for Anthony Martial who in my view is not too far (poor) from Havertz really shows how piss poor we are in transfers (both in and out)

But the fact that we can’t get a decent 15m pound for Anthony Martial who in my view is not too far (poor) from Havertz really shows how piss poor we are in transfers (both in and out)
Yes the player who can only play 15 games a season.

....The guy can run, he was clocked as the fastest in the Bundesliga at one point! His pressing stats are very good which only happens if you're mobile. .....

As for physical strength, it's not really a huge deal to be ludicrously strong or play long balls as an 8, particularly in a side like Arsenal. They are better attributes for a ball playing CB or somebody going to anchor a midfield not an 8. Arsenal are a team mainly about energy and short passing not going long.

Box-to-box is not making a 100-metre Usain Bolt type sprint and then fizzling out for another 80 minutes. Watch Havertz make a few sharp runs and then fizzle out huffing and puffing with hands on the waist like a lame duck for most of the match. Good luck with box-to-box.

His best position is just behind the main striker, where he can do a few quick sprints and make an "occasional" incisive pass. He is absolutely not box-to-box material.

The market doesn't lie. No manager is interested in Martial. Not even on loan, not even Man Utd subsidize his wages.

11m a year is 210k/pw, i doubt he dropped 90k because he loves Arteta's sweet talking. This 300k figure is bollocks.

The tweet says minimum is 11 million, the Chelsea wages was max 300k.

So as per the report the base wages is 210k, add all the bonus it will be over 300k.

#8 as Xhaka replacement. In Edu/Arteta's mind he is probably a goal scoring attacking midfielder who can link up with his teammates.
Would need to improve a lot defensively to play that role. It’s one thing pressing as a forward and another playing the 8 role

Very poor player. Arteta will be in for a shock if he's the Xhaka replacement. Can't see him sending Jesus to the bench. He's neither build for the Premier League nor got the necessary skill for a top team. There will be no place to hide for him, too expensive. Could be the beginning of the end for Arteta.

Having watched him in Germany, i'm sure he hasn't shown his level at Chelsea. Also, he is not a striker. But i think its a risky signing by Arsenal, and i don't think he's the player they needed at 8. I thought they'd go for more of a sure thing, considering they want to challenge for the league.

He's not special but not a bad player either.
If Arteta managed to improve Xhaka, Odegaard and Jesus I don't see why he can't do that with Havertz. Wouldn't be surprised to actually work for them.
Where will he even play?

Also, I'm not sure there is any evidence to suggest Arteta has yet improved Jesus as a player (incidentally, that's who I'm assuming Havertz will have to compete with).