Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

Really scraping the barrel with some of those stats. Most flick ons? Most lay offs? :lol:

Even the most goals is only 9.
In the end all three parties (Chelsea, Arsenal, Havertz) involved are happy. What not to like? It seems like even Man Utd fans are happy with Arsenal spending big on him.

Seems to me he is essentially a psuedo-CF and may be able to play the CF role and link up / play our wingers and midfield runners in, like Jesus does (though Jesus is a great dribbler).

However he also likes to occupy the spaces that Odegaard thrives in.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up playing. Clearly Arteta has a clear vision as to how he will be used (according to the news breakers anyway - apparently he was sold on the move after speaking with Arteta, which seems to be a theme with our signings). I guess we are at least looking at a skilful, talented and versatile player, so there are attributes to work with.

In the end all three parties (Chelsea, Arsenal, Havertz) involved are happy. What not to like? It seems like even Man Utd fans are happy with Arsenal spending big on him.
Yea, nothing wrong with that if all 3 parties are for it. It's just the justification of using those stats probably shows that even your lot are struggling to find a positive.

Arse and Chelsea have some kind of love-in going on. They’re frequently exchanging players, going back to the days of Gallas and Ashley Cole.

Arsenal really have given Chelsea a get-out-of-jail card by overpaying for Havertz.

Yea, nothing wrong with that if all 3 parties are for it. It's just the justification of using those stats probably shows that even your lot are struggling to find a positive.
I am very positive for the transfer. 60m for a german international is a very good deal. He is still young and his skill can play Arteta's football.

I am very positive for the transfer. 60m for a german international is a very good deal. He is still young and his skill can play Arteta's football.
He's really shite, but ok, glad you're happy pal.

Underwhelming way to spend 60 million. He's still young so could turn it around mind.

I like that it will improve our squad depth. We are building a strong squad if these four proposed transfers go through.

And I guess we have to assume that Arteta has a plan/vision for him, though we may not see it yet (it can't just be rolling the dice on talent and using him as a plug-and-play backup for multiple positions.

I just hope it doesn't impact other potential moves we are looking to make.

Can someone explain to me why we would be signing Havertz? I don't understand. Where will he play for us?

He has not impressed as a CF and is nowhere near the level of Odegaard. He's essentially a backup for both.

He looked like a supreme talent when we was coming through in Germany, but had been completely underwhelming in England to date.

Am I missing something here? I think Edu and Arteta have earned some patience with transfers after their recent success, but I just don't see it with Havertz.

And this money will help allow Chelsea to buy a target I had really hoped we would sign, Caceido - who has impressed me every time I've watched him, and would be my number one target. Especially if Partey is leaving.

Yeah I'm a bit puzzled about this as well.

The only way I could see him being a starter is if you guys play a 4-3-3 with Rice as the midfield anchor, Havertz-Ødegaard as double 8s in front of him and Martinelli-Jesus-Saka as the front three, so basically just replacing Partey and Xhaka from last season's starting XI with Rice and Havertz. But Havertz is a very different type of player compared to Xhaka (much, much softer) so Arteta would need to make some big changes to his game plan if he wants to make that change.

Seems to me he is essentially a psuedo-CF and may be able to play the CF role and link up / play our wingers and midfield runners in, like Jesus does (though Jesus is a great dribbler).

However he also likes to occupy the spaces that Odegaard thrives in.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up playing. Clearly Arteta has a clear vision as to how he will be used (according to the news breakers anyway - apparently he was sold on the move after speaking with Arteta, which seems to be a theme with our signings). I guess we are at least looking at a skilful, talented and versatile player, so there are attributes to work with.

I’d say he functions as a very capable backup for Jesus, might even end replacing him outright as the striker if he outperforms him which I wouldn’t say is beyond him. He could also function as emergency cover for Saka, if needed, though I don’t think he’s particularly good out wide.

Ultimately think I think Arteta sees him as an 8 and if you get Lavia too I think he’ll rotate that midfield around depending on the opponent.

Yeah I'm a bit puzzled about this as well.

The only way I could see him being a starter is if you guys play a 4-3-3 with Rice as the midfield anchor, Havertz-Ødegaard as double 8s in front of him and Martinelli-Jesus-Saka as the front three, so basically just replacing Partey and Xhaka from last season's starting XI with Rice and Havertz. But Havertz is a very different type of player compared to Xhaka (much, much softer) so Arteta would need to make some big changes to his game plan if he wants to make that change.
Front 5 interchanging in attacking, with both inverted full back tuck in to form midfield 3 with Rice. We will miss the leadership of Xhaka however.

Havertz will be a starter. Not sure why some can’t see that Arteta is literally going for Pep 2.0 tactics. That is 2 number 10’s, Saka, Martinelli. 3 at the back and a fullback joining midfield.

just baffles me how Arteta and Klopp to be fair, purport to be top tacticians but are trying to copy and paste Peps system.Sorry but you you won’t beat him/City that way.

Especially considering that system was tailor made for the players at Guardiolas disposal.

Arse and Chelsea have some kind of love-in going on. They’re frequently exchanging players, going back to the days of Gallas and Ashley Cole.

Arsenal really have given Chelsea a get-out-of-jail card by overpaying for Havertz.
Thing is the Chelsea to Arsenal route ended up with us getting a dud or a player near the end of their career. They got Cole and Giroud while we got the crying baby, Diarra,Benayoun,Willian, Luiz. It has gotten better with Cech and Jorginho but that's the first time we get an actual current starting player. I really hope he works out because failing in the PL at Chelsea and Arsenal will get him back to Germany on a massive discount.

I’d say he functions as a very capable backup for Jesus, might even end replacing him outright as the striker if he outperforms him which I wouldn’t say is beyond him. He could also function as emergency cover for Saka, if needed, though I don’t think he’s particularly good out wide.

Ultimately think I think Arteta sees him as an 8 and if you get Lavia too I think he’ll rotate that midfield around depending on the opponent.

Yeah I suspect he would be used that way, as the guy in that video points out - once Zinchenko moves up and creates a two man midfield base with our DM, then Havertz and Odegaard would form another two man unit further up, which would create that "box" in the middle.

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming around to the idea.

I don't think he will replace Jesus though. His dribbling is too much of a weapon and it can really open up defences. Havertz is a late runner into the box, so he may benefit from playing alongside someone like Jesus, as opposed to replacing him.

Thing is the Chelsea to Arsenal route ended up with us getting a dud or a player near the end of their career. They got Cole and Giroud while we got the crying baby, Diarra,Benayoun,Willian, Luiz. It has gotten better with Cech and Jorginho but that's the first time we get an actual current starting player. I really hope he works out because failing in the PL at Chelsea and Arsenal will get him back to Germany on a massive discount.
In fairness you have been buying players that they no longer wanted for years now.

Havertz will be a starter. Not sure why some can’t see that Arteta is literally going for Pep 2.0 tactics. That is 2 number 10’s, Saka, Martinelli. 3 at the back and a fullback joining midfield.

just baffles me how Arteta and Klopp to be fair, purport to be top tacticians but are trying to copy and paste Peps system.Sorry but you you won’t beat him/City that way.

Especially considering that system was tailor made for the players at Guardiolas disposal.

How is Klopp trying to copy Guardiola's tactics?

At least Havertz hasn't reached his peak years yet, as opposed to the Chelsea duds where were all old and varying degrees of cooked when they moved across.

:lol: What has football viewership become?

Don't understand this move at all. For half the agreed fee I could imagine taking a punt on him but at this price it feels like a major gamble. Should probably trust in our current leadership given their decent record with transfers lately but I'm really struggling to understand this one.

Hope he makes me look like a fool.

Yeah I suspect he would be used that way, as the guy in that video points out - once Zinchenko moves up and creates a two man midfield base with our DM, then Havertz and Odegaard would form another two man unit further up, which would create that "box" in the middle.

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming around to the idea.

I don't think he will replace Jesus though. His dribbling is too much of a weapon and it can really open up defences. Havertz is a late runner into the box, so he may benefit from playing alongside someone like Jesus, as opposed to replacing him.

I would be optimistic about him if I was an Arsenal fan. The potential is there if he meets the right coach who uses him correctly. I’ll be following him and Arsenal closely to see what Arteta has planned for him.

If Arteta can make Gabriel Jesus look like a footballer, I'm sure he'll do just fine with Havertz

Arsenal s last chance to build bigger and better squad with mufc taking over around the corner. I am not blaming them for spending big on this window with liverpool and Chelsea not in cl and manutd locked in take over things with less spending power.

Havertz can fulfil his potential as a player for them. But it doesn't matter for us anymore. The failed experiment of havertz as striker for us over with 60 mn in the bank. :)

Arsenal s last chance to build bigger and better squad with mufc taking over around the corner. I am not blaming them for spending big on this window with liverpool and Chelsea not in cl and manutd locked in take over things with less spending power.

Havertz can fulfil his potential as a player for them. But it doesn't matter for us anymore. The failed experiment of havertz as striker for us over with 60 mn in the bank. :)
Arsenal and Man Utd are going to provide Chelsea the fund to buy Caicedo from Brighton. As i said, all parties involved are happy.

One reason I doubt Arsenal’s future is that they tend to buy other clubs rejects, like city’s or Chelsea’s.

Zinchenko, Jesus, Odegaard, Havertz, Jorginho & I believe that will continue.

They may improve but I don’t expect them to win titles with such a method either.

If Gabriel Jesus didn’t work for City then I don’t think it works for Arsenal.

In my opinion he can be a box to box midfielder. Maybe that's the idea. It only doesn't make sense it you see him purely as a forward or attacking midfielder because there he's just competition not a big upgrade. But top managers can have big ideas that are outside the box.

I mean, why not? He's not ruthless as a forward. Probably never will be at 24. But look at his work rate, pressing, long stride to get between the boxes. Can bag a goal, good technique. There have been way weirder transitions.
Box-to-box.
He has absolutely no attributes for that role! Very poor physical strength, some nice flicks and crosses but very little long-range passing. His running would make a 40-year-old Robben blush.

That's certainly not the case with Havertz and i say that as someone who doesn't think he was as bad as made out.

He was a starter in the team that won the CL. Scored in the final. Yeah he was bad last season but who wasn't. The likes of Sterling, Mudryk, Modueke they've signed are way worse than him. For a possession team like Arsenal he will do very well.

For what it's worth I think Havertz for £60m is better value for Arsenal than Mount for £50m will be for United.