Declan Rice | Arsenal £105m player

No they are not.

Neither are as good as Rice. Partey used to be.

This is nonsense. I've no idea how anyone could seriously believe this.
This is just like Pogba situation. Average player getting lots of praise for exactly what?

Rice seems to be nice guy but nice is not synonymous with great player.

Partey was poor today got caught on the ball so many times. Also happened against villa
I don't think he was that bad. He was ok today and he was little bit better against Aston Villa.

This is just like Pogba situation. Average player getting lots of praise for exactly what?

I don't think he was that bad. He was ok today and he was little bit better against Aston Villa.
Pogba was twice the player who actually was criticized a lot since season one for one miss pass. There is no comparison. Pogba was scrutinized by the English media while Rice is treated as second coming of Beckenbauer.

cost them the win today

not a lot you can complain about there either

It was dumb to give the referee a decision to make. But it’s also really a call that shouldn’t be made given that Veltman rolled the ball into his path then tried to kick it when it was still rolling. Even had Rice not toed it aside it would have been an illegal restart.

Maybe a yellow by the letter of the law but also a situation where the card wont come out three times in four. Pretty similar to giving a second yellow for time wasting that wasn’t really egregious.Referees should use some common sense and err on the side of not deciding results themselves.

It was dumb to give the referee a decision to make. But it’s also really a call that shouldn’t be made given that Veltman rolled the ball into his path then tried to kick it when it was still rolling. Even had Rice not toed it aside it would have been an illegal restart.

Maybe a yellow by the letter of the law but also a situation where the card wont come out three times in four. Pretty similar to giving a second yellow for time wasting that wasn’t really egregious.Referees should use some common sense and err on the side of not deciding results themselves.

there is no maybe about it, it's a yellow

if it would have been an illegal restart if Rice hadn't cheated obviously makes no difference

Don't agree with the Pogba comparison. He was infinitely more talented than Rice, but for one reason or another, he didn't have as a good a club career as he should have.

I do agree, however, that Rice is incredibly overrated. One of the most overrated PL players of all time, IMO. He doesn't have a single technical quality as a midfielder, that you'd say was above 7/10. He's been moved to the left of a midfield three, because he's simply not good enough on the ball in deeper, congested areas. If he wasn't English he'd barely get a mention.

Think it's about time refs did something about players delaying a quick free kick by handing out yellows. A bit unfortunate for Rice that the first time we see it is when he's on a yellow and while the ball is still rolling slightly. Hope this is consistent officiating for the whole season.

Correct call at the time but the incoming outrage will mean we won’t see another sending off like that for the rest of the season.

So overall it’s probably a dumb decision by the referee.

there is no maybe about it, it's a yellow

if it would have been an illegal restart if Rice hadn't cheated obviously makes no difference

We’ll see how often it’s called over the rest of the season.

I like the decision tbh, one of those pet peeves that belongs in the 'things that annoy you in football' thread we had going here.

Granted I'd be livid if we were at the receiving end of it, and the problem is I suspect is this won't be consistently mandated in other games. A bit like when Dalot was sent off by that cnut Oliver for complaining about a booking. We never saw it applied again in other games, even by Oliver himself.

It was the right call. The opposing player had put the ball down for the free kick. We've seen delaying like this far too long and it has a material impact on play. A booking is entirely appropriate.

Rice has nothing to complain about.

I like the decision tbh, one of those pet peeves that belongs in the 'things that annoy you in football' thread we had going here.

Granted I'd be livid if we were at the receiving end of it, and the problem is I suspect is this won't be consistently mandated in other games. A bit like when Dalot was sent off by that cnut Oliver for complaining about a booking. We never saw it applied again in other games, even by Oliver himself.
The worst thing about this was that the first yellow was for pointing out that the referee had made an error with the throw-in.

Ref messed up, player demonstrates, gets wrongly booked for dissents, dissents the wrongful yellow for "dissent" of a wrong decision and gets a second yellow.

Utter incompetence from Oliver. There were multiple incidents from Liverpool players in the game of actual dissent and kicking the ball away he didn't punish.

Not surprised with anything from Oliver anymore given we've got literal proof of corruption of his integrity by Man City.

There is no agenda. But I am no fan of praising players for nothing and those who should get praise never gets that.
He may be over praised but he's still very good.

I think Rice fully deserved the card and hope referees keep issuing cards for things like that. Preventing quick free kicks, fouling people to stop a counter etc. it’s cynical and cheating.

Not gonna lie, thought it was a hysterical red to get.... but actually now realize it's genius, he knew what he was doing, but as others have said, it means nothing without consistency.

This almost never gets carded. If someone has ever been given their second yellow for something like that I can’t remember it. I would be livid if this had happened to Chelsea.

This almost never gets carded. If someone has ever been given their second yellow for something like that I can’t remember it. I would be livid if this had happened to Chelsea.
We got Dalot given 2 yellow cards for lot less against Liverpool. Second card for nothing. So we have been through every decision there is. But it don't get talked about to much when it happens against us.

We got Dalot given 2 yellow cards for lot less against Liverpool. Second card for nothing. So we have been through every decision there is. But it don't get talked about to much when it happens against us.
Why would it? Football is incredibly tribal, fans only care about decisions that affect their own teams. Case in point, Dalot wasn't even the first player Oliver did that to, he gave Martinelli two yellows in the space of 2 seconds a season before that. I don't remember any United fans caring about it then

The worst thing about this was that the first yellow was for pointing out that the referee had made an error with the throw-in.

Ref messed up, player demonstrates, gets wrongly booked for dissents, dissents the wrongful yellow for "dissent" of a wrong decision and gets a second yellow.

Utter incompetence from Oliver. There were multiple incidents from Liverpool players in the game of actual dissent and kicking the ball away he didn't punish.

Not surprised with anything from Oliver anymore given we've got literal proof of corruption of his integrity by Man City.

Nunez kicked the ball away and did multiple acts of dissent in the same action. Don't think he even got one yellow if I recall.

Anyone remember the whole thing about actually booking time wasting? Lasted about 6 weeks. This will go the same way.

Why would it? Football is incredibly tribal, fans only care about decisions that affect their own teams. Case in point, Dalot wasn't even the first player Oliver did that to, he gave Martinelli two yellows in the space of 2 seconds a season before that. I don't remember any United fans caring about it then
Martinelli did make two fouls. First should not been yellow. Dalot didn't even make any foul. First was for speaking out against wrong decision, second for pulling up socks or what the reason was. So there is difference.

Agreed. The only complaint is consistency.

On free kicks when the player has already put the ball down and is ready to take the free kicks? That gets booked all the time. Not every time, I'm sure, but most of the time.

There was an incident earlier in the game when the ball had gone into touch by a foot and it was going to be a throw in for Arsenal and a Brighton player kicked the ball 20 yards back into play. But there was no Arsenal player anywhere near the ball preparing to take the throw in. It was the right call not to book the Brighton player as he was no impeding an Arsenal player in the act of attempting to restart play from a deal ball.

Juan Mata got a 2nd yellow for us against West Brom for something similar. He didn't take a kick from the opposing player (which I think may have been Darren Fletcher, funnily enough), but he did purposely step infront of the ball when a free kick was being taken.

It was Mike Dean, the only referee in history to show a red card to lovely, lovely Juan Mata. Absolute monster. I hope he sees Juan Mata's kind, smiling face every time he closes his eyes.

EDIT: I am wrong, he got the first yellow card for blocking the free kick, the second yellow was a foul.

It was silly from Rice to give the ref an opportunity to be a jobsworth. Players know refs are attention seeking bellends, so just don't even give them a chance to make their attention seeking decisions.

As for the people on here who think it's a good decision, I can only imagine the meltdown if Casemiro had got that red card. The forum would crash.

The biggest problem with the incident is the fact the Brighton player has thrown the ball at Rice's feet and tried to kick it at him because he's so close. He's pretended he wants to take a quick free kick for the sole purpose of getting Rice booked, he has no intention of passing it to a team mate. Brighton being rewarded for this cheap trick feels a bit unjust, but Rice has fallen for it hook line and sinker by nudging the ball away.

At the end of the day, right or wrong, the whole incident is absolutely hilarious (when it's not against your club).

It's a second yellow all day. You can argue consistency, but that's the same for every decision in the prem, this isn't exactly unique to that.

Dumb decision, got booted and sent off for his troubles. Can't have any complaints.

It was silly from Rice to give the ref an opportunity to be a jobsworth. Players know refs are attention seeking bellends, so just don't even give them a chance to make their attention seeking decisions.

As for the people on here who think it's a good decision, I can only imagine the meltdown if Casemiro had got that red card. The forum would crash.

The biggest problem with the incident is the fact the Brighton player has thrown the ball at Rice's feet and tried to kick it at him because he's so close. He's pretended he wants to take a quick free kick for the sole purpose of getting Rice booked, he has no intention of passing it to a team mate. Brighton being rewarded for this cheap trick feels a bit unjust, but Rice has fallen for it hook line and sinker by nudging the ball away.

At the end of the day, right or wrong, the whole incident is absolutely hilarious (when it's not against your club).

I reckon the biggest problem is Rice choosing to kick the ball when a) he is fully aware a free has been awarded against him and b) he can see the opposition player is just about to kick it.

It’s definitely a really stupid yellow card. Because it’s a really stupid decision by Rice. Fully deserved sending off and I’m all for more players being booked for doing the same thing. No matter who they play for.

They tend to be more lenient if a player stands his ground to stop a quick free kick. Presumably because they’re allowed a few moments to back off the 10 yards they’re supposed to. Rice didn’t stand in front of the ball though. He kicked it. Which should always be a yellow, even if it’s not always given.

Superfan of that yellow. Should be given every time. He looks down at the ball and decides to kick it, clear as day.

I don't see any difference between nudging the ball 3 feet and yeeting it to the other side of the pitch, its the same violation.

Juan Mata got a 2nd yellow for us against West Brom for something similar. He didn't take a kick from the opposing player (which I think may have been Darren Fletcher, funnily enough), but he did purposely step infront of the ball when a free kick was being taken.

It was Mike Dean, the only referee in history to show a red card to lovely, lovely Juan Mata. Absolute monster. I hope he sees Juan Mata's kind, smiling face every time he closes his eyes.

EDIT: I am wrong, he got the first yellow card for blocking the free kick, the second yellow was a foul.
You had me at Mike Dean….

The worst I had seen in recent years is actually Tomiyasu. I think it was Havertz, or someone else, who wasted so much time on throw in, and then dropped the ball for Tomiyasu, who held the ball less than a minute before the ref flashed the yellow card at him for time wasting. He was already on a yellow, so off he went. Lots of mad ones have happened but that one has stuck in my memory for some reason.

The worst I had seen in recent years is actually Tomiyasu. I think it was Havertz, or someone else, who wasted so much time on throw in, and then dropped the ball for Tomiyasu, who held the ball less than a minute before the ref flashed the yellow card at him for time wasting. He was already on a yellow, so off he went. Lots of mad ones have happened but that one has stuck in my memory for some reason.
I'd actually totally forgotten about that one. We've genuinely had so many bizarre reds in the last few years

Stupid from Rice, you’re on a yellow card, don’t give the ref a decision to make. No one else to blame but himself.

I'm not so sure anymore.

Rice is probably slightly overrated by some and underrated by others but Ugarte would have to do very, very well this season for us to say Rice wouldn't start for us.

I don't think it's out of the question based on Ugarte seemingly being very good but Rice is a player who has done it at this level consistently so right now you'd have to say he comes in.

Pogba wasn't an average player and was a much better player than Rice.

I don't think there's a single thing Rice does better with the ball than Pogba.