Declan Rice | Arsenal £105m player

So many think a neat pass through the lines is all that exists for a midfielder. I dont remember Roy Keane ever playing deaf touches though the lines.

So much more to Rice's game that if being overlooked. Guess rival fans will be really excited to see him line up next to Odegaard next season too. 'This Arsenal midfield will be easy to beat'.
You're trying to come off as this football savant but I genuinely think most posters who are pointing out weaknesses to his game understand the midfield role better than you do. The bolded part is either testament of that, or just of the fact that you didn't watch Keane play.

"So much more to his game"

Just to add, the other thing I'd consider when analysing player performance is the off the ball work by the other team. Spain seemed to be pressing a lot more pro actively than England were with Kane, Bellingham and Foden.

The commentators were full of praise for Zubimendi's 2nd half performance for instance, but looking at this video, did he do anything great? What's noticeable to me is the time on the ball England allowed him.

Just to add, the other thing I'd consider when analysing player performance is the off the ball work by the other team. Spain seemed to be pressing a lot more pro actively than England were with Kane, Bellingham and Foden.

The commentators were full of praise for Zubimendi's 2nd half performance for instance, but looking at this video, did he do anything great? What's noticeable to me is the time on the ball England allowed him.

Good players find time on the ball, to be fair.
But England allowed them time on the ball in general. Inferiority complex , lack of fitness perhaps ?
Or just a manager out of his depth tactically.

So many think a neat pass through the lines is all that exists for a midfielder. I dont remember Roy Keane ever playing deaf touches though the lines.

So much more to Rice's game that if being overlooked. Guess rival fans will be really excited to see him line up next to Odegaard next season too. 'This Arsenal midfield will be easy to beat'.

Then you didn't watch him.

Then you’ve never watched Roy Keane play. Terrible take.

Then you’ve never watched Roy Keane play. Terrible take.

The lengths Arsenal fans go to defend such a bang average player are actually hilarious. I don't blame some of them though; I mean the hype job by the English media around this bloke somehow made him the 8th most expensive player of all time. Let that sink in: Declan Rice is the 8th most expensive football player of all time.

I agree that Keane’s passing is often severely underrated, but having watched that compilation that is how Rice played all season for us (Arsenal).

A poster above called him “stiff” and I think that’s correct. He has a very upright running style which makes him excellent at intercepting and driving in the direction he’s facing. He’s not great at receiving the ball deep with his back to goal and progressing with it. Playing as a true box-to-box midfielder really free him up offensively. And he can play as a pure destroyer. But he’ll never be an elite deep-lying playmaker. Our country hasn’t produced on since Carrick, whereas Spain seem to be tripping over them.

I agree that Keane’s passing is often severely underrated, but having watched that compilation that is how Rice played all season for us (Arsenal).

A poster above called him “stiff” and I think that’s correct. He has a very upright running style which makes him excellent at intercepting and driving in the direction he’s facing. He’s not great at receiving the ball deep with his back to goal and progressing with it. Playing as a true box-to-box midfielder really free him up offensively. And he can play as a pure destroyer. But he’ll never be an elite deep-lying playmaker. Our country hasn’t produced on since Carrick, whereas Spain seem to be tripping over them.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to talk down Rice by posting that. I agree Rice is a very good player, not a £100million player in my book but he filled a need for Arsenal and with Xhaka going I can understand why you shelled out.

Rice is strong and physical but he isn't good on the ball. When He's under a bit of pressure He just hoofs the ball forward without even taking a look first, usually resulting in giving the ball back to the opposition.

I think Keane was a fantastic player, Rice will never reach the levels that Keane did, he was brilliant, but watching that video, all i can think about is that there's compilations of Rice doing the exact same type of passes going round that we get told he doesn't do.

Makes me think rival fans would have have picked holes in Keane's game on internet forums at the time as well probably.

Literally nobody is expecting him to be one. Basic progressive passes have been beyond him for a tournament, not the elite DLP passes that no soul expect from him in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to talk down Rice by posting that. I agree Rice is a very good player, not a £100million player in my book but he filled a need for Arsenal and with Xhaka going I can understand why you shelled out.
No, I think your criticism is fair. We basically paid £100m to replace Xhaka. When you look at it like that, we’ve overpaid. But he slotted into our team immediately and was as close to a risk-free signing as it gets. That’s why he was worth so much to us and that’s why most Arsenal fans would happily do it all again.

Literally nobody is expecting him to be one. Basic progressive passes have been beyond him for a tournament, not the elite DLP passes that no soul expect from him in the first place.
There's this weird narrative developing, mainly from Arsenal fans, that we're expecting him to become a sort of Xavi/Busquets regen or something. There's several, like many many, layers in between what he currently offers and this weird strawman, and we're still quite far from it.

Go through the thread, there’s dozens of comments about expectations for a £100m player.

He didn’t have a great tournament. But neither did Foden, Bellingham or Mainoo (despite the hype on here). None of our midfielders played well, despite their form for their club sides.

Go through the thread, there’s dozens of comments about expectations for a £100m player.

He didn’t have a great tournament. But neither did Foden, Bellingham or Mainoo (despite the hype on here). None of our midfielders played well, despite their form for their club sides.
Mainoo definitely had a "good tournament", all things considered, what are you talking about?

Foden, Bellingham, TAA and Gallagher have caught a lot of flak for their performances.

There's this weird narrative developing, mainly from Arsenal fans, that we're expecting him to become a sort of Xavi/Busquets regen or something. There's several, like many many, layers in between what he currently offers and this weird strawman, and we're still quite far from it.
Is there? The “several layers” you described are what Rice was producing all season. He was an ever present in side that challenged for the title until the last day. That simply wouldn’t have been possible if he was as poor a player as is being made out.

Is there? The “several layers” you described are what Rice was producing all season. He was an ever present in side that challenged for the title until the last day. That simply wouldn’t have been possible if he was as poor a player as is being made out.
Yes, absolutely.

As for the other part, what he does for Arsenal has nothing to do with what's being discussed here, and his limitations - limited players have been key cogs in title-winning sides, and Arsenal aren't even that.

No, for me there's a difference of opinion from what you guys are seeing in his performances and what he can do, to what we see he does and what he can offer. Its as simple as that really, and is certainly worthy of discussion.

No, for me there's a difference of opinion from what you guys are seeing in his performances and what he can do, to what we see he does and what he can offer. Its as simple as that really, and is certainly worthy of discussion.
I disagree. It's not what we're seeing in his performances, it's what his performances are.

Mainoo definitely had a "good tournament", all things considered, what are you talking about?

Foden, Bellingham, TAA and Gallagher have caught a lot of flak for their performances.
He did well for 19 year old, but he wouldn’t have even got into the Spain squad (Rodri, Ruiz, Pedri, Zubimendi, Merina and Olmo all performed better). So if we’re grading on a curve, sure he had a good tournament. But in the cold light of day, not so much.

Foden, Bellingham, TAA, and Gallagher all caught flak for their performances because they performed badly. As did Rice and rightly so. But every single one of those player were amongst the best performers for their club last season. England’s plan seemed to consist of putting out best players on the pitch. I would have preferred us to have dropped some of them so we could work to strengths of those who were selected.

He did well for 19 year old, but he wouldn’t have even got into the Spain squad (Rodri, Ruiz, Pedri, Zubimendi, Merina and Olmo all performed better). So if we’re grading on a curve, sure he had a good tournament. But in the cold light of day, not so much.
What the feck even is this?! :lol:

Yeah, I understand defending one of your own, to a degree, but by the objective metrics of being a dependable part of a midfield tasked with the basic duties of the role, he has fallen well short, and trying to defend that just makes it worse.

He had a poor tournament but I don't blame him. He was in a midfield that had chops and changes throughout with either personnel or formation. It's not his fault his manager is an idiot.

During phases of this campaign, Rice, Bellingham, Foden and Kane all looked poor in prolonged phases. The problem is systemic in the team and not limited to any single player. The coach is essentially shite and his conservatism and pragmatism fecks up with how these players operate stylistically.

I disagree. It's not what we're seeing in his performances, it's what his performances are.

Well then we just don't agree, and that's fine. There were stats going around after the quarter final win that compared Rice favourably with his peers in the other semi finalists. Of course stats only paint 1 picture, the eye test for me tells me he's not had a great tournament, but it's certainly not saying he's as bad as what some make out, and i don't see him as limited as some make out.

To be honest, being from north of the Hadrians Wall, i'm quite happy if he's shite for England. I just think England have a lot of other pressing issues before him.

And please, please, please stop comparing him to Roy Keane. :o

Roy is not of the same cloth and never was.

I actually has been pretty decent this tournament but he was absolutely horrific yesterday.

An assessment of a member of the England squad who I don’t think would have been selected for the Spain squad. I take it you disagree?
Stop being so dishonest in your debating, it was a post that was all over the place and that's what I was laughing at. It was frankly ridiculous. Of course he wouldn't get into the Spanish midfield but if you think that's some kinda gotcha point, you're mistaken. You went from "yeah he was good, but actually not as good as the best midfielders in the world, yeah he had a great tournament, but actually it wasn't great", throwing in a "in the cold light of day" for good measure as if it gave more gravitas to your post.
Well then we just don't agree, and that's fine. There were stats going around after the quarter final win that compared Rice favourably with his peers in the other semi finalists. Of course stats only paint 1 picture, the eye test for me tells me he's not had a great tournament, but it's certainly not saying he's as bad as what some make out, and i don't see him as limited as some make out.

To be honest, being from north of the Hadrians Wall, i'm quite happy if he's shite for England. I just think England have a lot of other pressing issues before him.
He has had a poor tournament, how poor is frankly not that interesting. As for the "more pressing issues", I wholeheartedly disagree in that I believe the midfield is the absolute priority - and I believe he has a role to play in that. I've been focusing on his weaknesses in the past few posts but I've also highlighted he has some strengths (obviously he does), it'll be up to the (next, hopefully) England manager to see how to maximise those.

Klopp would be a godsend for this England team and would know how to use a workhorse like Rice efficiently.
Yeah, I understand defending one of your own, to a degree, but by the objective metrics of being a dependable part of a midfield tasked with the basic duties of the role, he has fallen well short, and trying to defend that just makes it worse.
It's strange, I also understand wanting "your" players to do well, but it comes across as blind love at times.

Then you probably didn't watch Keane much. His passing was exceptional through the lines. He hated passing sideways or backwards.

Stop being so dishonest in your debating, it was a post that was all over the place and that's what I was laughing at. It was frankly ridiculous. Of course he wouldn't get into the Spanish midfield but if you think that's some kinda gotcha point, you're mistaken. You went from "yeah he was good, but actually not as good as the best midfielders in the world, yeah he had a great tournament, but actually it wasn't great", throwing in a "in the cold light of day" for good measure as if it gave more gravitas to your post.

He has had a poor tournament, how poor is frankly not that interesting. As for the "more pressing issues", I wholeheartedly disagree in that I believe the midfield is the absolute priority - and I believe he has a role to play in that. I've been focusing on his weaknesses in the past few posts but I've also highlighted he has some strengths (obviously he does), it'll be up to the (next, hopefully) England manager to see how to maximise those.

Klopp would be a godsend for this England team and would know how to use a workhorse like Rice efficiently.

It's strange, I also understand wanting "your" players to do well, but it comes across as blind love at times.
It’s not dishonest debating. I said Mainoo, like all England’s midfielders, did not have a good tournament despite playing well for his club this season. If you want to baby him and say he played well for a kid - go ahead. But pointing out he wouldn’t even have made it into the squad of the finalists he just played against isn’t dishonest. What are you on about?

Last edited:
It's not worth judging players performances based on these Euros. Southgate is a horrible uninspired plug a gap manager. The fact that he even persisted playing an unfit Kane who is rarely effective for England when it matters should tell you this was above his head.

He wasn't the only poor manager to be fair. We had a bunch this time around and the quality of the competition was poor.

This is a issue.
Maybe we have too many young players influenced by the playing styles of Gerrard than the Schole's/Xavi's/Modric's of this world.
And I think its something Southgate himself alluded too with his comments on Mainoo.

This is a issue.
Maybe we have too many young players influenced by the playing styles of Gerrard than the Schole's/Xavi's/Modric's of this world.
And I think its something Southgate himself alluded too with his comments on Mainoo.
It’s a big issue. We seemed obsessed with midfielders that can “win a game on their own” or “grab the game by the scruff of the neck”. We seem deeply suspicious of players that dictate play more subtly. In fact, as mentioned earlier, we didn’t even really try to utilise Carrick, despite him being an anchor to one of the most successful midfields in British history.

I’m hoping that changes in the future. I think Mainoo is (a little) overhyped, but it’s completely understandable. He’s basically the only player in the club and country he plays for that wants to receive the ball in the middle third of the pitch. He’s a rare gem in that regard. It’s very sad that that is the case.

You think it's poor, other folk wouldn't describe it is that. Just because you and some others on here describe it as poor, doesn't make it a fact over others that don't, and it's nothing to do with 'blind love', because there's plenty on non Arsenal fans saying similar, a few even on this thread in a rivals forum. It's all just a matter of opinion. I do agree with the assertion that he had a poor game last night though.

Midfield of course is a priority, but the main priority for me would be to get a balance and shape back to the team, and don't try and go into future tournaments basically neglecting a full side of the pitch.

I wouldn't even care if it's picking players to suit a system, or picking a system to suit players. The criminal thing was doing neither.

I couldn't care less really if that does or doesn't involve Rice. If the new manager decides it's Wharton alongside Mainoo, and Palmer takes over from Saka, then that's more than fine with me

You think it's poor, other folk wouldn't describe it is that. Just because you and some others on here describe it as poor, doesn't make it a fact over others that don't, and it's nothing to do with 'blind love', because there's plenty on non Arsenal fans saying similar, a few even on this thread in a rivals forum. It's all just a matter of opinion. I do agree with the assertion that he had a poor game last night though.

Midfield of course is a priority, but the main priority for me would be to get a balance and shape back to the team, and don't try and go into future tournaments basically neglecting a full side of the pitch.

I wouldn't even care if it's picking players to suit a system, or picking a system to suit players. The criminal thing was doing neither.

I couldn't care less really if that does or doesn't involve Rice. If the new manager decides it's Wharton alongside Mainoo, and Palmer takes over from Saka, then that's more than fine with me
Yeah apart from the assessment of Rice's tournament, we agree overall :)

I think Rice had a OK tournament.
We saw what he does effectively in that role and what he doesn't or needs to improve upon.

I actually disagree, I think the tactics are very obvious, be compact and hard to break down etc.
Really? Something must have been lost between training ground and the pitch because the only time england actually looked compact and hard to break down was the second half against Serbia...ok, the first half against Spain, too. So that's 2 halves out of 7 games...

Incidentally I do think those were the only two halves england played where they were executing a specific game plan, and fairly well, so maybe that was indeed the case afterall, and they were just crap the rest of the time

As for Rice, he was below his level. Part of it was down to England, part of it was just him playing below his level. Not so much in possession where he is just limited, but defensively. His positioning, awereness, decision making where all below his usual standard. Haven't checked but wouldn't be surprised if the same was true of the % of duels lost