Declan Rice | Arsenal £105m player

I said at the start we have too many players like him and Kane, we have a spine of them.

He's a destroyer DM in Southgate's system and nothing more, he did his job fine for the most part? At Arsenal he has a more expansive role.

He's a destroyer DM in Southgate's system and nothing more, he did his job fine for the most part? At Arsenal he has a more expansive role.
In Arsenal he has other players to do most of the work for him. He doesn't need to be good with the ball as much.

So, are people going to start to listen to what I’ve said? This is just some average player. Nothing more. Can run. That is pretty much that. 100m? West Ham still laughing at that price.

In Arsenal he has other players to do most of the work for him. He doesn't need to be good with the ball as much.
So others do most of the work for him but he also doesn't need to be good with the ball. What does he himself do then exactly?

He isn’t a 6, but England will continue to play him as one because of a lack of options.

Arteta realized half way through the season that he wasn’t one and introduced Jorginho so sit deeper and be more disciplined. He is at his best as an 8 and given license to get forward.

So others do most of the work for him but he also doesn't need to be good with the ball. What does he himself do then exactly?
Not much. Defensively hes very good though, on the ball he offers little to nothing.

He's a good player but has clear limitations in the DM role, a role he doesn't play for his club.
Southgate really botched the midfield throughout the tournament.

You could see the clear gap between him and the Spanish midfielders even Zubimendi coming off the bench has far more technical ability and passing range, no wonder Europeans laugh at the price tag of English players.

Bad mouth him all you want. But at Arsenal and under Arteta he is used as a hybrid 6/8 and we get elite levels of performance from him.

Definitely would not give back the 100m if it meant losing Rice.

He didn't have a great tournament but was far from being the worst England player (hi Harry, hi Phil). No doubt he will improve as soon as the FA employ anyone with a brain.

Bad mouth him all you want. But at Arsenal and under Arteta he is used as a hybrid 6/8 and we get elite levels of performance from him.

Definitely would not give back the 100m if it meant losing Rice.

You would've saved 100m by just keeping Xhaka around honestly but that's not really a slight on Rice.

You would've saved 100m by just keeping Xhaka around honestly but that's not really a slight on Rice.

Football is also played out of possession. Not everything is about passing and breaking the lines. There were times Mainoo was outmuscled of the ball and manhandled by the Spanish midfield.

Rice is a much better player than Xhaka.

Anyways, like I said, Rice at Arsenal is a different animal.

Hopefully we sign Merino and pair him with Rice in a double pivot with Saliba and Gabriel behind them, White and Calafiori on the flanks. If you thought our defence was good last year, wait until you see Arsenal put of possesion this year!!

He's having a fine tournament and unsurprisingly looks better alongside Mainoo who complements him far better than a RB or a clogger. Hasn't set the world alight, but he's playing for a Southgate England side.

I'm not quite sure what the overlap is between those slagging him off here and those who want Ugarte or Onana, but Rice possesses more quality on the ball than most of the destroyers knocking around we've been linked to. Seems strange to me how many United fans are willing to overlook their deficiencies whilst slamming Rice for his.
He actually does not. His on the ball quality is vastly overated by his fans

He's not very good in the buildup. Probably why Arteta tweaked his role to use his abilities better. Getting the ball off the defence he just looks awkward as hell. He turns at about 0.001mph.

He’s a pretty good player but not a great one and not the sort of DM I prefer. You really need the rest of the team to be at a certain (very high) level of quality on the ball to compensate. Wasn’t even that good defensively in the final and that’s supposed to be his strength.

Football is also played out of possession. Not everything is about passing and breaking the lines. There were times Mainoo was outmuscled of the ball and manhandled by the Spanish midfield.

Rice is a much better player than Xhaka.

Anyways, like I said, Rice at Arsenal is a different animal.

Hopefully we sign Merino and pair him with Rice in a double pivot with Saliba and Gabriel behind them, White and Calafiori on the flanks. If you thought our defence was good last year, wait until you see Arsenal put of possesion this year!!
Debatable given you played more fluid football the previous season with Xhaka before collectively shitting yourselves in the run in, and Xhaka himself went on to accomplish something this past season Rice would dream of one day matching.

Just go back 7-8 pages and you see lots of Arse fans laughing and settling scores by quoting his detractors.

Players of his quality is a dime a dozen, it’s the combination of availability + age + being English that elevated his profile. Cog in a machine, pretty reliable one at that, but absolutely not the decisive factor in any side he plays for.

He is better than he has shown in this tournament, but that could apply to about 80% of the English players. I was expecting him to be more of a reliable, reassuring presence though --- all felt a bit helter skelter from him. But again, this can apply to several English players, many of whom looked like creaky, ungainly minivans compared to the ferraris they look like at club level.

Debatable given you played more fluid football the previous season with Xhaka before collectively shitting yourselves in the run in, and Xhaka himself went on to accomplish something this past season Rice would dream of one day matching.

As I keep saying though, it wasn't as simple as Rice in Xhaka out. And we might have played more fluid football, but all the main measurables like points achieved, goals scored, goals conceded were all better last season. Think I'd take that.