De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. He's a young vastly experienced CB, someone you should be building your team around if he was actually good, instead he's sold twice. We're going to sign the lad, he'll get injured and then people will bemoan our bad luck again. It's honestly hilarious at this point how stupid our club is.
Juve were on their way down and he wanted to move. It’s literally been widely reported.

He is easily Bayerns best defender, they’ve let players go in the past when they should not have, such as Toni Kroos. It’s no secret he is a leader and has put in consistent good performances.

I trust you have watched Bayern recently too and so I find it odd that you wouldn’t want someone of his quality.

Funny how many complaints are coming in, we’re shite & have an insane amount of shite on our books.
I’d be absolutely delighted if ETH got his entire Ajax crew back here as they go into their peaks, because he’s proven he can manage them and has proven he’s shit at managing us.
So the more of his Ajax team the better.
Like Van de Beek?

Was clearly Bayerns best centre back last season, and if you listen to any Bayern fan they will tell you the same thing.
Most here would say Maguire or Evans were our best last season. What use is that information?

Staying clear from transfers like this would be smart, but we all know those at united aren't.
It would be best to stay away from Bayern Munichs best centre back who is about to enter his prime, really composed on the ball, very dominant aerially and a terrific leader??

And besides one bad season with injuries, he has stayed relatively healthy.

Most here would say Maguire or Evans were our best last season. What use is that information?
That makes no sense

De Ligt was the better centre back out of Kim and Upamecano. Not exactly the same as United options.

My point is, for those of us who have actually watched him play, he is a terrific defender. Most people on here will just bandwagon of other comments who are very misinformed.

So who is this defender that has all the attributes needed to succeed and is available then?

Last edited:
That makes no sense

De Ligt was the better centre back out of Kim and Upamecano. Not exactly the same as United options.

My point is, for those of us who have actually watched him play, he is a terrific defender. Most people on here will just bandwagon of other comments who are very misinformed.
The funny thing is there were many here convinced Kim was the answer for us last summer - hasn't he lost his spot to Eric Dier?

The funny thing is there were many here convinced Kim was the answer for us last summer - hasn't he lost his spot to Eric Dier?
I thought this too. With Uniteds failed transfers over the last 10 years I have to admit I just don’t have a clue with transfers anymore. I think the one thing that works out for us is youth, so continue to buy a load of potentials and hope some stick after a few years.

Think I really not to stop looking at his negative points and try looking at positives instead

Our midfield is Bruno Mainoo and currently Casemiro.

We are being run past in most games and people think with a quicker back line we can hold a higher line and fill the void in front of our defence.

De Ligt isn't going to help with that.
But that's largely down to how Eth has us playing, we don't defend the center of midfield.

You can continue making up facts about De Ligt being a flop. It wasn’t and isn’t the case.
Juve signed him. In three years they sold him to Bayern for less than what they paid for. Now Bayern trying to dump him within two years. At this rate he will have Lukaku like grand career as a defender. And player is judged by his form + fitness. I have no doubt either one or both have gone downhill for bayern now have decided to offload him.

Our midfield is Bruno Mainoo and currently Casemiro.

We are being run past in most games and people think with a quicker back line we can hold a higher line and fill the void in front of our defence.

De Ligt isn't going to help with that.
But we’ve been playing with too much of a gap between the front players and the back four. Bruno is up top, Casemiro a bit …. “leggy” and Mainoo asked to do everything.

We saw in the cup final when we got the shape better (and Amrabat with an excellent performance) that we can do very well. I’m not suggesting no centre forward every game but adjusting the lines, tweaking where players are meant to be and having a mobile/physical holding midfield should make a big difference.

One of the stupidest transfer decisions ever
The amount of recruitment disasters we seem to have had in the last decade makes me feel like if we just sort that 1 thing out we are 50% to where we want to be. It’s been that poor. Fernandes is easily the best and I can’t think who is 2nd.

Getting a head of recruitment in ahead of this summer would have been a priority for me

So who’s in charge of transfers now? I’m a bit surprised De Ligt was the best solution they could come up with as Varane’s replacement. If you told me glazers were still fully in charge I’d believe it tbh. Hopefully I’m wrong.

It's because of two reasons: one was that he came without having proper preseason, in a new league, new club, new competition. He couldn't really adapt at all. He still managed to be the best CB for the majority of the season until the Asian Cup and the following drop of form (hence I don't understand fans saying De Ligt was their best CB, because based on whoscored KMJ had a better season). The second reason was the lack of trust by the manager. When he arrived, he was Tuchels favorite, but when the whole Bayern team started to struggle with injuries and form, Tuchel began to throw KMJ under the bus. He didn't let him play to his strengths, overplayed him (although tbf the, had an injury crisis) and when he made errors he openly critizised him, which led to him losing focus and form, only to expose him in the most important game of the season in the CL semi final. Kim tactically doesn't suit Bayern at all and that transfer was very unnecessary from every aspect. It neither helped him nor Bayern. I reckon he would be a much better player in the EPL, although he needs a partner who compensates his lack of build up qualities. Overall I would say he would have had a much better season when he came to United.

The amount of recruitment disasters we seem to have had in the last decade makes me feel like if we just sort that 1 thing out we are 50% to where we want to be. It’s been that poor. Fernandes is easily the best and I can’t think who is 2nd.

Getting a head of recruitment in ahead of this summer would have been a priority for me

Thought there was still a plan to appoint one

Martinez by a mile. The bloke is quality.

If you go back far enough, Shaw was a good signing, albeit suffered an unfortunately brutal injury just after.

But yeah, a lot of shite in between all that.

Thought there was still a plan to appoint one
There might/should be, but I said ahead of this summer because I’d want that in place now. Think the appointment will come when Dan Ashworth does. But there’s still no date for that
Martinez by a mile. The bloke is quality.

If you go back far enough, Shaw was a good signing, albeit suffered an unfortunately brutal injury just after.

But yeah, a lot of shite in between all that.
Martinez just worries me a bit. Another significant injury this season and it’ll start to look like another failed signing

Martinez just worries me a bit. Another significant injury this season and it’ll start to look like another failed signing

Having a broken bone and some clumsy lump fall onto his knee doesn’t really scream underlying injury issues for me.

Just going back and looking at some of his highlights he certainly doesn’t look fast. But, he doesn’t look as slow and clumsy as Maguire either. Also looks like he’s much better offensively than Maguire.

Just going back and looking at some of his highlights he certainly doesn’t look fast. But, he doesn’t look as slow and clumsy as Maguire either. Also looks like he’s much better offensively than Maguire.

Pace has never been an asset of his, ideally we sign another CB who could help compensate for it. So anyone feel free to put forward any suggestions as we need it if playing a high line.

Last edited:
On the positive side, if we do sign him then at least he will know what the manager wants and has played many times with the Onana behind him. A massive leap tactically in my view.

On the negative side his injury record is very poor for a defender.

if he signs he’ll probably often start opposite of Martinez. Is that enough pace to compensate?

They will just both need to play how they played at Ajax. Push foward and be agressive in defending while having Onana sweep behind them. Both Martinez and de Ligt arent speedsters.

Your nickname Daley Blind is one of the slowest players. He played next to de Ligt with Onana behind them during Ajax their semi final CL run. A lack of speed wasnt an issue.

Why doesnt De ligt start for Holland in the euros? Genuine question.

De Vrij is very good and a former Serie A defender of the year.

It is also tactical. Dumfries will push forward and we defend with three defenders because de Vrij, Virgil and Ake form the back line. De Vrij is used to playing in a back three while de Ligt isnt at his best in a back three.

His injury record isn’t as bad as I originally thought. You couple that with the high opinions from Bayern fans and this could be quite the signing.

Our record with these signings in the last 10 years fills me with dread even with that in mind however.

if he signs he’ll probably often start opposite of Martinez. Is that enough pace to compensate?
He doesn't even have enough pace to compensate for his own lapses in concentration and sub-elite anticipation, IMO.

In comparison, a young Rio Ferdinand had the recovery pace. That's why he was worth the investment at the age of 24. Like I've said previously, this is a really risky transfer.

He doesn't even have enough pace to compensate for his own lapses in concentration and sub-elite anticipation, IMO.

In comparison, a young Rio Ferdinand had the recovery pace. That's why he was worth the investment at the age of 24. Like I've said previously, this is a really risky transfer.
Plenty of top defenders haven't been reliant on pace.

According to bundesliga.com de ligt is the second slowest CB Bayern has (the last being dier on a minimal difference) Kim and upamecano is faster then him

So I will ask who that has recovery pace needed

According to bundesliga.com de ligt is the second slowest CB Bayern has (the last being dier on a minimal difference) Kim and upamecano is faster then him

He is being constantly going to beaten with this stick every time he gets done if we signed him

Hm yeah I think that’s probably about right, I don’t know how I feel about it and agree with some suspicion. :lol:
No need for suspicion. He’s solid. He’s just not this special player many thought he’d become. But he’s a good player, has a good character and is definitely good enough for the highest level.
And he’s still young. He could still improve quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.