De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, in August 2022 none of us would’ve considered Arsenal a consecutive top 4 side, let alone a consecutive top 2 side.
Absolutely none of us considered Villa a top 4 side in August 2023.
Spurs post Kane were written off by everyone.

You simply can’t look at a side on paper and judge, confidence, form, momentum, and improvements from young or new players can’t be judged on paper.
Maybe but I think it was obvious our squad lacked goals last summer. The XI above that I've caused a stir by calling 'mid table' doesn't really address that major issue. It's mainly based on hope that at least one of the front 3 turns potential into real quality.

Would only make sense if he came on a loan with an option to buy - and if we eventually decide to exercise that option he should be put on a structured contract where part of his pay package is only awarded if he's fit/available for at least 80% of games.

He has a point. Yeah our fullbacks are quick, but that doesn't help on counters. Maybe a CB with pace would have helped the last year?
Obsessed? Not me. But it's the most repeated reason people say we can't play a high line with current players.
Neither Dalot nor Shaw possess the sort of elite level pace you need to cover for slow centre backs. De Ligt/Maguire and Martinez would be fine if you had a Kyle Walker at right back to provide that last ditch cover for a high defensive line, but we don’t have that.

Call it obsessed all you like, but when we sign another slow defender and next year we see the line constantly dropping deeper, creating bigger gaps between defence and midfield again, you will know why.

I mean, it can't just be any CB with pace. Name a defender available that is super fast, great in possession, great defensively and dominant aerially? You don't need very quick centre backs to play a high line, it is an advantage, of course, but not needed. What you do need, however, is ball playing centre backs and not a ten-touch-Maguire. We may concede some goals due to having slow centre backs, but likely not as many as we do playing with centre backs who can't control the ball and make defensive mistakes.

As for Dalot not being quick enough, he has incredible recovery pace. Not Walker-like, but very quick.

To be fair, in August 2022 none of us would’ve considered Arsenal a consecutive top 4 side, let alone a consecutive top 2 side.
Absolutely none of us considered Villa a top 4 side in August 2023.
Spurs post Kane were written off by everyone.

You simply can’t look at a side on paper and judge, confidence, form, momentum, and improvements from young or new players can’t be judged on paper.
Good post, there’s so much more to football than 11 sexy names on a team sheet. All those things you mention are so important.

Why are you so obsessed with pace? Dalot and Shaw are very quick, anyway.

Isn't it important that we buy centre backs that are great in possession and defending, first and foremost?

What pacy centre back available is better than De Ligt?

Our midfield is Bruno Mainoo and currently Casemiro.

We are being run past in most games and people think with a quicker back line we can hold a higher line and fill the void in front of our defence.

De Ligt isn't going to help with that.

2019 De Ligt to Juve: United fans “why aren’t we in for him??!”
2022 De Ligt to Bayern: United fans “why aren’t we in for him??!”
2024 De Ligt to United: United fans “why are we in for him??!”

Feels a bit like a case where he suffers from his early success. Most people in here have watched him sporadically when he was between 20 and 24 years old and comparing him to defenders at their peak.

Maybe de Ligt at 22-24 is only a slight upgrade on Varane or Maguire. But how about de Ligt at 27? van Dijk and Vidic at 22 was not even close to the PL-level.

In simple terms, his injury record got worse and form dipped too! On his day still he is the best but we already have Shaw/Lisa and others like that.

so better we get a solid defender with good injury record and helps a lot

We prefer them overhyped and overpriced. Not when Juve and Bayern have helped them develop and gain experience in the years CBs are more likely usually makes more mistakes. And NOT at a cheaper price.

I mean it might be that Everton aren't going to budge on Branthwaite. Maybe we're looking at Onana instead now? I don't think they'll sell both.

Yoro looks like he's off to Madrid, we're blocked from signing Todibo, so who does that leave? De Ligt could be a great CB for us, but it would depend on the deal. The wages would have to be lowered, but for the life of me I don't think a player would ever do that. Look how often we get stung by situations like this with our players! If Bayern really want rid of him, then they'll either have to pay him off to go, or accept a lower transfer fee. Say we signed him for £20m and he kept his supposed £270k pw wages...I don't think that's too bad, given his age. Would still be a risk though.

I think if you can do that deal, potentially sign Onana, also sign a top young CB (not Yoro) to come in and get a few minutes here and there, or go on loan for a season or two (like Arsenal did with Saliba, who's now one of the better CBs in the league) then that would be a better transfer strategy than signing Branthwaite for £75m.

I mean it might be that Everton aren't going to budge on Branthwaite. Maybe we're looking at Onana instead now? I don't think they'll sell both.

Yoro looks like he's off to Madrid, we're blocked from signing Todibo, so who does that leave? De Ligt could be a great CB for us, but it would depend on the deal. The wages would have to be lowered, but for the life of me I don't think a player would ever do that. Look how often we get stung by situations like this with our players! If Bayern really want rid of him, then they'll either have to pay him off to go, or accept a lower transfer fee. Say we signed him for £20m and he kept his supposed £270k pw wages...I don't think that's too bad, given his age. Would still be a risk though.

I think if you can do that deal, potentially sign Onana, also sign a top young CB (not Yoro) to come in and get a few minutes here and there, or go on loan for a season or two (like Arsenal did with Saliba, who's now one of the better CBs in the league) then that would be a better transfer strategy than signing Branthwaite for £75m.

I feel like I say this every window. But we just need to trust our scouts and get better players for 10% of the money. De ligt is yet another deal that any team with money can do. United just love these signings for some reason. Who is the less expensive Yoro and why are we either not trusting our scouts or our scouts not finding them?

I think he is one of promising young talents, but they just hit the ceiling early and that is. He was fast to come where is now but that is... And only way is downhill.

Varane has left, Evans is 37, Kambwala isn't ready or good enough yet.

That leaves Martinez, Maguire and Lindelof. Would be stupid to get rid of him now, he's still decent as a back up.
Lindelof is not and never has been good enough. If there's one we should cash in on its him.

We prefer them overhyped and overpriced. Not when Juve and Bayern have helped them develop and gain experience in the years CBs are more likely usually makes more mistakes. And NOT at a cheaper price.
Bayern want around 60m for him. Which is barely cheaper than what they ended up signing him for.

De Ligt is on astronomical wages and it remains to be seen how much Bayern would want for him. It certainly won't be a cheap deal.

The only way this will make sense is we can get a deal from Bayern similar to the deal BVB got from us for Sancho. This club would have learned nothing if they go ahead and buy this guy.

We’ve been burned with high-profile injury-prone signings from the likes of Bayern and Real before, the automatic suspicion is that if these clubs are willing to let them go then there must be something wrong with them. Also, his history with our manager also raises concerns given our shambolic transfer “strategy” of the last two years.
There are rumors that Eberl and Freund (our new guys in charge for squad planning) have the order to reduce our wages by 20% in the next 1 or 2 years.
Under Kahn and Salihamidzic our wages got a bit out of control.

Thats why we want to get rid of Goretzka, Gnabry, Coman, maybe even Kimmich.
De Ligt is the big earner in our defense and probably the easiest position to save some money without getting much worse if we manage to get Tah.

De Ligt was injured sometimes in the past 2 years but Its not so bad as some of you say.

I can only say it again, he was our best defender in the last 2 seasons and thats not only my opinion but that of ~99% of Bayern fans judging friends and social media.

If you get him de Ligt + Martinez will form a great CB pair.

Has he played any minutes in Euro 2024, is he injured or just not favoured?

There are rumors that Eberl and Freund (our new guys in charge for squad planning) have the order to reduce our wages by 20% in the next 1 or 2 years.
Under Kahn and Salihamidzic our wages got a bit out of control.

Thats why we want to get rid of Goretzka, Gnabry, Coman, maybe even Kimmich.
De Ligt is the big earner in our defense and probably the easiest position to save some money without getting much worse if we manage to get Tah.

De Ligt was injured sometimes in the past 2 years but Its not so bad as some of you say.

I can only say it again, he was our best defender in the last 2 seasons and thats not only my opinion but that of ~99% of Bayern fans judging friends and social media.

If you get him de Ligt + Martinez will form a great CB pair.
Your club finished third. Now please don't tell me they are trying to reduce wages by selling one of your best talent.

Massive wages, couldn’t cement himself into a defence that had Eric Dier in it and injury prone. Sounds like the perfect United signing.
Was clearly Bayerns best centre back last season, and if you listen to any Bayern fan they will tell you the same thing.

Really wanted this guy when he was at Ajax, feel like he hasn’t developed much since. Maybe Ten Hag can be key here.

I feel like I say this every window. But we just need to trust our scouts and get better players for 10% of the money. De ligt is yet another deal that any team with money can do. United just love these signings for some reason. Who is the less expensive Yoro and why are we either not trusting our scouts or our scouts not finding them?

I don't think there is a less expensive Yoro, not one who's ready to play every week anyway. The point of Yoro seemed to be that there was a unique opportunity there, an 18 year old who probably is ready to play most weeks, and in the last year of his contract so not as expensive as he's might have been. He's not really an under the radar signing because he's already a regular for Lille, and apparently they were asking closer to €100m for him last year.

I think the scouts are finding them, but getting those deals done is a different story. Sometimes not just because of the money involved, but because we just aren't an attractive destination as we used to be. We were linked with Anselmino months ago, but now it looks like Chelsea are about to sign him for £20m. That's exactly the type of signing I'm talking about, someone who might be ready to play in a year or two, and with a high potential ceiling.

I don't think United necessary love doing these signings. Perhaps under Woodward that was true. I think that there aren't that many players of a high enough quality who are actually available to sign, so when one is it's hard to pass up.

For what it's worth, I don't think we should sign De Ligt, but I don't think we should pay £75m for Branthwaite either. Who does that leave? I mean Wolves are supposedly asking £45m for Kilman!

Status
Not open for further replies.