De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
De Vrij is a top defender and fits the tactics better possibly. Though I think jn the friendlies, de Ligt looked great and maybe even better.

De Ligt has had a few mistakes in the NT in the last 7 years and that Dutch CB position is the most stacked in world football so it's fair play.

I had a similar question so cheers for the response - really informative and it seems like it’s not a reflection of De Ligt’s quality / reputation for the national side.

Has there not been a push to play a 3-5-2 of some sort? As you say it’s such a stacked position it seems strange to have that much CB quality on the bench.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Bayern are selling at a low price because they know the full extent of his injury. Otherwise, this transfer at this price does not make any sense.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Bayern are selling at a low price because they know the full extent of his injury. Otherwise, this transfer at this price does not make any sense.

If it is that bad, then it will show up in his medical. The fact that all anyone seems to talk about is his injuries would tell me that they have decided that it's not a concern to the deal, or maybe we've also factored into our fee/fee structure.

Surely the doctors and physios would pick anything of this nature on the medical though?!

Think it's more a case they're getting a good fee for him (€50m), they're replacing him with Tah costing a low fee (€25m) and using the rest of the funds towards other targets like Xavi Simons.

Look at these stats...oh by the way they're crap. X in a nutshell!

I'm another in the 'if it's too good to be true then it usually is' camp. Something just doesn't feel right about this. Hope I'm wrong as a fully functioning, on form De Ligt would be great. Here's hoping.

You are totally wrong here.

They have bought Ito, Olise & Palhinha for 130 million € and want Xavi & Tah.

They must sell players and De Ligt could bring in 40-50 million €......maybe only Coman and Upamecano could that too.

I had a similar question so cheers for the response - really informative and it seems like it’s not a reflection of De Ligt’s quality / reputation for the national side.

Has there not been a push to play a 3-5-2 of some sort? As you say it’s such a stacked position it seems strange to have that much CB quality on the bench.
To my surprise we haven't played 352 but Dumfries plays very high on the pitch, which is why de Vry kinda plays as a RCB that also covers for the RB. De Vrij is more comfortable in this than de Ligt.

I think that's the main argument.

I feel like de Ligt is an 7/8 in nearly every aspect, aerially, strength, agression, ball playing, covering zonal area's, composure, goalscoring, rushes, speed.

But then you will have someone like van de Ven, who looks like the fastest defender on the planet which is a huge weapon. Or Ake who's super athletic, agile and smooth on the ball. Timber who's extremely fast, agile, and a great dribbler who can take the ball forward.

Not to mention Geertruida, Botman and later the likes of Hato/Beukema/Schuurs/Teze who can really develop. When de Vrij and van Dijk are too old, there will still be so many great options.

I dreamt about him since he joined Juve. He has a lot of qualities we need (speed, agility and ball progression)

Experienced at 25 and can complement Licha pretty well.

Him having Ten Hag will strenghen his qualities so I really hope this will be done soon.

De Ligt and Branthwaite doesn't make great sense to me. I understand Branthwaite is left footed and prefers the left side, but both of them seem to have pretty similar traits. Big[ger], great in the air in both boxes, quite aggressive and no-nonsense.

Surely after signing De Ligt (or Branthwaite) the focus should be more on type of centre back who can double as one of these more "inverted fullback" types -- very fast across the ground and comfortable on the ball? The Ake, Timber, van de Ven type?

(The above paragraph predicated on us selling Lindelof and/or Maguire. I don't see us buying two CBs unless another goes)

Ideally they probably wanted Branthwaite/De Ligt and Todibo however not possible due to NICE ownership

De Ligt was too slow for Bayerns style of playing. He didn’t even make it into their starting lineup a lot of times.

Kompany prefers the faster Upamecano and Bayern got Hiroki Ito now. On top of that Tah might join as well.

Bayern wants to sell him badly because they don’t need him. That plays into our hands.
He prefers faster centre backs so he's going to sign Tah?

this is the concern, they have history for this (Hargo, Schwiney ) Bayern don tend to sell players that are on the upward trajectory. The only possible caveat is that they just dont want to keep paying huge wages for a lad that sits on the bench. The thoughts of Bayern fans are fascinating on this, maybe i am wrong but i always found them to be a fairly measured bunch of fans.

this is the concern, they have history for this (Hargo, Schwiney ) Bayern don tend to sell players that are on the upward trajectory. The only possible caveat is that they just dont want to keep paying huge wages for a lad that sits on the bench. The thoughts of Bayern fans is fascinating on this, maybe i am wrong but i always found them to be a fairly measured bunch of fans.
I will personally stalk and jump the next person on here, who claims that we somehow purposely sold you a crutch with Hargreaves.

I will personally stalk and jump the next person on here, who claims that we somehow purposely sold you a crutch with Hargreaves.

:lol: :lol: :lol:, but what a wonderful crutch that helped us win a CL final, we surely cant fall out over that brother.

Wait, but Bayern have signed Olise? Since when?
Officially not yet. But it looks like everything is in place except for the official confirmation.

Officially not yet. But it looks like everything is in place except for the official confirmation.

So Olise and the bloke from Fulham too? Is Tah on a free? How much did you sign Ito for? De Ligt to United will surely be a done deal soon

I'm completely open to signing a different CB and I've mentioned many different names in various threads. But as far as playing in a high-line defense, you need a combination of abilities with composure on the ball against the opponent's high pressure tactics being of a high importance. I believe he has that in his locker, and top speed isn't important for a CB defending the channel in a high defensive line but rather the speed over the first yards is what is important. And again de Ligt had shown that he's quick over the first few yards and then has power and aggression to win the duel.

I posted some highlights yesterday where de Ligt handled Vinicius Junior just fine in a higher defensive line. And the clip below further highlights de Ligt dealing with Mbappe in the channel in a 1v1 ground duel which he wins by showing a good combination of positional awareness, speed over the first few yards, and his physical strength.

Compare this to how Maguire moves. Night and day.

Surely the doctors and physios would pick anything of this nature on the medical though?!

I would make them personally liable if there was an undetected serious injury. Then we will see how thorough the test is. :) If he has a clean bill of health then I am all for this signing.

Why does he not start for Holland? Has he lost his place?

I think because De Ligt is better in a back four whilst De Vrij has often played in a back three like Koeman likes to play but then Koeman is also a bit mental when it comes to selection as Frimpong, Botman, Zirkzee and a few others don’t make his team either.

If Holland were playing the traditional 4-3-3 that they’re famous for then De Ligt and Zirkzee both start I think and whoever replaces Koeman after the Euro’s will almost certainly go back to 4-3-3.

Koeman is very odd. Maatsen and Frimpong had wonderful seasons and they are sitting on the bench too.
While Koeman is definitely odd, benching De Ligt for De Vrij isn't that odd. De Vrij has been very good for Oranje for his entire career (though missing tournaments due to injury) while De Ligt's Oranje career has been a bit hit and miss. He was brought in too early by Danny Blind while he wasn't ready and cost us the match against the Czech in 2021. He then said at the last world cup that in a back 5, the coach probably shouldn't start him, which didn't exactly instill confidence.

His time will come though, De Vrij is old and at a club level De Ligt is already ahead of him.

I think because De Ligt is better in a back four whilst De Vrij has often played in a back three like Koeman likes to play but then Koeman is also a bit mental when it comes to selection as Frimpong, Botman, Zirkzee and a few others don’t make his team either.

If Holland were playing the traditional 4-3-3 that they’re famous for then De Ligt and Zirkzee both start I think and whoever replaces Koeman after the Euro’s will almost certainly go back to 4-3-3.

We haven't played 5 at the back all tournament. Our back line is Dumfries, De Vrij, Van Dijk Ake.

Bayern fans not happy. I've watched Upamecano with France and you can see that when he's on his game he's a very very good defender blessed with absolutely ridiculous recovery pace. It's just, you know, the brain farts and all. Get the impression it's the same with Kim.

The more i hear the more confident I am this could be a good signing. He's not as slow on the turn as Maguire and is not as error prone, and is more of a leader and an aggressive ball winner compared to Lindelof. What's not to like, really?

So Olise and the bloke from Fulham too? Is Tah on a free? How much did you sign Ito for? De Ligt to United will surely be a done deal soon
Ito was about 30 millions. Tah is expected to cost about 25 millions. Palhinha looks close, too, for something about 55 millions. In addition to Olise, who should be announced quite soon and should cost roughly 60 millions. We’re also in the race for Xavi Simons and Gruda from Mainz.
So that’s all part of the reason we’re willing to let De Ligt leave. We’re having a major squad overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.