De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I actually really like Branthwaite too, but this is a great opportunity for a player that could still be worth twice this value in a few years and it takes the pressure off negotiations for the second CB completely.

I would be delighted if we started the summer with de Ligt, Ugarte and Zirkzee, especially for the fees discussed. It makes me feel much more optimistic about the new setup.

I think if you get all 3 of them for the quoted prices, and in time for the tour, then that's a good start. There's still a bit to do, but that takes some of the pressure off getting the sales done. You can start to look at some of the 'nice to haves', like actually looking at sell AWB and get a more suitable RB to push Dalot, or a young LB to eventually replace Shaw. Maybe actually sign a good RW, before finalising the exits of Greenwood and Sancho, instead of after.

feck me I must be getting old, never heard of this branthwaite fella :lol:

I mean I could be wrong. Been wrong before. But I’ve spent the last 15 years watching guys like Badstuber, Boateng and Hummels passing from the back. They were easily a class above him in that regard.
Not being elite doesn’t really make you average though

Oh wait I do know him, it's that fella from Everton.

According to Romano we're the only club interested in him

I mean I could be wrong. Been wrong before. But I’ve spent the last 15 years watching guys like Badstuber, Boateng and Hummels passing from the back. They were easily a class above him in that regard.

Yeah I believe you. Maguire also is rated by passing metrics as being top class, but anyone who watches him often will tell you he’s pretty conservative with his selection of progressive passes apart from the occasional diagonal. Compared to Martinez who can fire it one touch into players feet through a tight window and the two are night and day different even if FBref would suggest they aren’t far apart.

No.

Although we'll be getting a player with no weaknesses whatsoever reading here.
i don't think anyone who is feeling positive about this deal has said anything as extreme as "no weaknesses whatsoever". Although I suppose if I too were someone who is so overly negative about anything United related, I would see anything remotely positive as being something extreme.

Why isn’t Palmer starting for England? Why isn’t Branthwaite even in the squad?

Managers have their favourites, plus De Vrij is a very good player.
Who's that?
He means "Braithwaite" if you're the type of person who likes to spell Branthwaite wrong.
feck me I must be getting old, never heard of this branthwaite fella :lol:
Taking the piss surely?

Branthwaite is the Everton defender we’re after

i don't think anyone who is feeling positive about this deal has said anything as extreme as "no weaknesses whatsoever". Although I suppose if I too were someone who is so overly negative about anything United related, I would see anything remotely positive as being something extreme.
Something like that.

Those 3 at their peaks were easily among the best in the world. There is a ton of defenders below that who still are very useful in that regard.

Tuned in to watch him against Romania. Thought he was doing very well, until I realised he wasn't playing.

Can’t even get in the Dutch team over this de Vrij nobody. Loan with option to buy for 30m is a fair deal for me. Needs to prove himself before we buy another dud from the German league.
Jesus talk about not having a clue :annoyed:

You thought he was called Braithwaite and thought you'd caught him out. I see you.

Taking the piss surely?

Branthwaite is the Everton defender we’re after
Are you accusing @Ayoba of lying when he says he didn't know who Branthwaite was? If he did genuinely know who Branthwaite was then he would have posted something in the Branthwaite thread as recently as, oh I dunno, the 14th of June...

70m??

Yeh, jog on son

....well this is embarrassing...

Are you accusing @Ayoba of lying when he says he didn't know who Branthwaite was? If he did genuinely know who Branthwaite was then he would have posted something in the Branthwaite thread as recently as, oh I dunno, the 14th of June...

:lol:

Oooft, as the kids say.

Oh wait I do know him, it's that fella from Everton.

Indeed :nervous:

Varane is going to Como.
But I think it's to say "a fully fit Varane" when he rarely fully fit is no use.
The reason we played Maguire til he breaks down is because he is the only one who can stay fit

I don't know much about Como the football club, but what a fantastic place to live for a few years. Varane was actually fit more often than Martinez last season. As for actual defending, Varane is substantially better than Martinez, but Martinez is the substantially better passer of the ball.

Yeah, yeah. 3/10 for effort but just admit you messed up and hang your head in shame.

It's not even the worst mistake made on this forum. I once confused a periscope with a telescope, and Solius once said that @esmufc07 was a good poster.

Probably negotiating tactics because we're lowballing with our offers?

No way is De Ligt joining PSG over us. I wouldn't worry. If we really want him he's ours.

A nobody who has been Serie A defender of the year and is a very well respected player for Inter? That nobody?
De Vrij definitely isn't a nobody and I've got history of defending him on here when he was also said to be slow and average on the ball. Below is what I wrote in 2018 after a poster made similar claims about De Vrij being slow and average. The funny thing is that in this very thread today, one of the poster's is saying that de Vrij plays in the team Dutch team ahead of de Ligt due to him being quicker and better on the ball. It's actually funny to read.

"De Vrij is no where near as slow as you're making it sound. He doesn't have express pace but is quicker than Alderweireld who many consider the best CB in the league."

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/stefan-de-vrij-2018.435432/page-3#post-22194948

And we had a thread on de Vrij in 2014, and I was in the minority wanting the player because apart from his potential as a 22 year old CB, he was available for a very very low fee of £6m and was a opportunity that I felt we had to take. And most of the Dutch fans were adamant about him being not good enough as the thread below quite clearly indicates. De Vrij has had a good career and the £6m that Lazio paid for him was money very well spent.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/stefan-de-vrij.392770/

Can’t even get in the Dutch team over this de Vrij nobody. Loan with option to buy for 30m is a fair deal for me. Needs to prove himself before we buy another dud from the German league.

To be fair, I think that the 'duds' are more on us than on the German league. City recently got Akanji and Gvardiol and they arent duds. We need to buy the right player and i think de Ligt will be the right player.

He plays in Italy where even Smalling looks passable. Not a good look for De Ligt if he’s meant to actually be a good player. Likely another dud from the German league.
He was arguably the biggest defensive talent in world football a few years back and is still pretty young. There's a good chance this won't work out as is the same with a lot of our transfers but I think you're underestimating him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.