De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, @HTG has been pointing out that De Ligt is fine in terms of the successfulness of his passes, but too conservative with them. So you'd expect his passes to look good in standard stats, but you'd probably see a big difference in more advanced stats, like ground covered or players bypassed, when compared with someone like Martínez.
I mean I could be wrong. Been wrong before. But I’ve spent the last 15 years watching guys like Badstuber, Boateng and Hummels passing from the back. They were easily a class above him in that regard.

So we're buying a slow, injury prone, ugly, fat man who can't pass the ball or tackle? He's also poor in the air and isn't a leader because English is a second language. Also, don't forget that he's been sold by Juventus and Bayern (ignore that when Juventus sold him it was to Bayern, and also that Bayern have too many high earners now, currently in a transitional phase with a new manager etc).

And he's coming here because we'll give him a pay hike? Shocking, I thought we were done wi - ah wait, he's taking a pay cut?! Obviously he doesn't think much of himself then, does he? This has red flags wrapped all around it.

Seriously though. If he gets injured then, fair enough, I can understand the criticism. He's had a couple of bad knee injuries but the worst one left him out for just over a month. I genuinely think that it's a concern but not as bad as some might think - although I understand the fear because we've been burned before. But as for everything else; some of you lot will complain no matter who we sign.

So Bayern and/or their new manager want rid to make way for who, Eric Dier? So much so that we're getting a "cut-price" deal. No pace. Iffy injury record. Average passing.

And people are giddy about this?

Can’t even get in the Dutch team over this de Vrij nobody. Loan with option to buy for 30m is a fair deal for me. Needs to prove himself before we buy another dud from the German league.

Easily

23/24: 30 matches for Bayern
22/23: 43 matches for Bayern
21/22: 42 matches for Juventus
20/21: 36 matches for Juventus
19/20: 39 matches for Juventus
18/19: 54 matches for Ajax (!)
17/18: 39 matches for Ajax (his first full senior season)

He never played less than the 30 matches last season, and it could have been around 40 matches again hadn't Bayern tried (but failed) to upgrade on him with Kim
Even after missing 20 games with injury last season?

Can’t even get in the Dutch team over this de Vrij nobody. Loan with option to buy for 30m is a fair deal for me. Needs to prove himself before we buy another dud from the German league.

A nobody who has been Serie A defender of the year and is a very well respected player for Inter? That nobody?

For the people who worry about his pace, he seems to have the anticipation and positional sense to make this less of a worry. There's a compilation of him against Vini Jr where this is evident. Not saying it won't ever be an issue but if he can pocket one of the best wingers in the world then its a positive for what he'll come up against in the prem.

A nobody who has been Serie A defender of the year and is a very well respected player for Inter? That nobody?

He plays in Italy where even Smalling looks passable. Not a good look for De Ligt if he’s meant to actually be a good player. Likely another dud from the German league.

It’s amazing how you guys manage to blame us for Hargreaves. You aggressively pushed to sign him for years, until we basically faltered. Yet somehow this place got itself convinced we somehow mugged you.

This. Add to that he was really instrumental in our last massively successful season. Like RvP pretty much payed off his transfer fee in his debut season alone.

The injury issues aren't the worrying thing for me. It's that every time I saw him for Juventus, which was a lot, he looked bad. A very clumsy defender. I don't know how he's been at Bayern as I don't watch them, so he could have improved, but I thought he was overhyped at Ajax and just plain bad at Juve.

What are his defensive aerial stats like? We will desperately need to replace Varane's aerial dominance in the box, because Lisandro ain't it.

What are his defensive aerial stats like? We will desperately need to replace Varane's aerial dominance in the box, because Lisandro ain't it.
I dont know the stats but he is easily our best defender in the air, in defense and in offense.

I don't really know why we're arguing over his passing, that's not why we're buying him. Varane wasn't particularly expansive, but was still out best defender - when fit.

He plays in Italy where even Smalling looks passable. Not a good look for De Ligt if he’s meant to actually be a good player. Likely another dud from the German league.

You seem weirdly determined to call him a dud from the German league...

Is there no other CB we could be spending 50m on? I’m not all that convinced about this one. Reminds me a bit of jones/maguire.

You seem weirdly determined to call him a dud from the German league...

Just acutely aware of our history of buying players from there. Hence why a loan would be best for us and Bayern get his wages gone for a year. If he’s good enough we’ll buy him next year.

Jesus. That’s some abysmal football knowledge there man.

De Vrij is a very good player but De Ligt has also fallen behind both Ake and Timber in the Dutch pecking order and that has been true under both Koeman and Van Gaal. He hasn't been a regular starter since the 2020/2021 Euros.

The Dutch often playing three at the back is likely part of the issue: VVD is going to be the center man in that kind of defense and you want the outside CBs to be mobile and comfortable carrying the ball and passing forward, which aren't De Ligt's strengths. De Ligt is a more natural fit for the middle role that is probably VVD's until he retires.

Why isn't he starting for Holland?
Why isn’t Palmer starting for England? Why isn’t Branthwaite even in the squad?

Managers have their favourites, plus De Vrij is a very good player.

So we're buying a slow, injury prone, ugly, fat man who can't pass the ball or tackle? He's also poor in the air and isn't a leader because English is a second language. Also, don't forget that he's been sold by Juventus and Bayern (ignore that when Juventus sold him it was to Bayern, and also that Bayern have too many high earners now, currently in a transitional phase with a new manager etc).

And he's coming here because we'll give him a pay hike? Shocking, I thought we were done wi - ah wait, he's taking a pay cut?! Obviously he doesn't think much of himself then, does he? This has red flags wrapped all around it.

Seriously though. If he gets injured then, fair enough, I can understand the criticism. He's had a couple of bad knee injuries but the worst one left him out for just over a month. I genuinely think that it's a concern but not as bad as some might think - although I understand the fear because we've been burned before. But as for everything else; some of you lot will complain no matter who we sign.
Obviously, if no other clubs are openly interested it means that we need to stay away from him. Strategy of a 4 year old deciding which toys they find interesting is the best approach for running a football club.

Why isn’t Palmer starting for England? Why isn’t Branthwaite even in the squad?

Managers have their favourites, plus De Vrij is a very good player.
Palmer and Branthwaite have newly burst on the scene, I think they've both had their first years as regular starters for the respective clubs. De Ligt has been around for a while and has fallen out of favour everywhere he's been. It's very different.

Obviously, if no other clubs are openly interested it means that we need to stay away from him. Strategy of a 4 year old deciding which toys they find interesting is the best approach for running a football club.
PSG are interested, so that will appease some people.

Why isn't he starting for Holland?
I think because they probably have the best defensive depth in the whole tournament, at centre back at least, and he's had the most disrupted season of all the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.