De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things I've learned from this thread.
His bad injury record is an overreaction
His lack of pace is an overreaction

Sign him up I'd say, would work really well with Martinez

Noticed, that he isn't playing for the Netherlands these days. What are the reasons?

Noticed, that he isn't playing for the Netherlands these days. What are the reasons?
Nobody knows really. Koeman has his favourites that's for sure. Frimpong, Maatsen, De Ligt, Gravenberch and Zirkzee aren't really getting a chance. Half of them wouldn't even be in the squad if it wasn't for injuries which is something nobody understood.

Too risky! He might come good, but I would prefer a Yoro or someone who is pacy and physical as a foil for Martinez. Lenny Yoro would be my preferred CB signing, if only Real Madrid weren't after him!

Too risky! He might come good, but I would prefer a Yoro or someone who is pacy and physical as a foil for Martinez. Lenny Yoro would be my preferred CB signing, if only Real Madrid weren't after him!

So you'd rather skip on De Ligt who wants to come and go for Yoro who doesn't?

So you'd rather skip on De Ligt who wants to come and go for Yoro who doesn't?
Yeah, I would, as I stated, 'if only Real Madrid weren't after him!'

It's not about who wants to come and who doesn't! I'm talking about who would fit into to our line-up! IMO, I'm not sure on DeLigt. We need a more physical and pacy defender as foil for Martinez!

It's also risky to sign an up and coming player that hasn't yet proven that he can handle the pressure of the highest level though. And whatever his pace and top speed are (apparently also not as bad as is being made out), you can't say De Ligt lacks physicality.

Yeah, I would, as I stated, 'if only Real Madrid weren't after him!'

It's not about who wants to come and who doesn't! I'm talking about who would fit into to our line-up! IMO, I'm not sure on DeLigt. We need a more physical and pacy defender as foil for Martinez!

De Ligt is as physical as they come, built like a brick shit house. Yoro is faster yes, I’ve read, but looking at him, he sure looks frail. I have not seen him play mind you.

It's also risky to sign an up and coming player that hasn't yet proven that he can handle the pressure of the highest level though. And whatever his pace and top speed are (apparently also not as bad as is being made out), you can't say De Ligt lacks physicality.
Don't know how he's been with Bayern, but i watched Juventus pretty regular when Ronaldo was there. De Ligt didn't look like a physical CB nor a good man marker. He seemed not quick on his movement. His passing was good though.

Although that's like 3 year ago.

Last edited:
I think, with this guy, we’ll soon find out the grass isn’t always greener. Finding it difficult to justify this purchase when we have, (in my opinion), a player of similar caliber in Maguire.

De Ligt was too slow for Bayerns style of playing. He didn’t even make it into their starting lineup a lot of times.

Kompany prefers the faster Upamecano and Bayern got Hiroki Ito now. On top of that Tah might join as well.

Bayern wants to sell him badly because they don’t need him. That plays into our hands.

I absolutely love this place. Now after years of abuse, some totally over the top, Maguire is apparently just as good as this guy? The narrative changes like the wind.

I absolutely love this place. Now after years of abuse, some totally over the top, Maguire is apparently just as good as this guy? The narrative changes like the wind.
It’s bizarre. I’m not sure there is a player out there that would satisfy this lot.

Maguire has somehow managed to go from overrated, to underrated, and now back to overrated again. You’d think he was Jaap Stam at the back after being Paddy McNair previously

I'm completely open to signing a different CB and I've mentioned many different names in various threads. But as far as playing in a high-line defense, you need a combination of abilities with composure on the ball against the opponent's high pressure tactics being of a high importance. I believe he has that in his locker, and top speed isn't important for a CB defending the channel in a high defensive line but rather the speed over the first yards is what is important. And again de Ligt had shown that he's quick over the first few yards and then has power and aggression to win the duel.

I posted some highlights yesterday where de Ligt handled Vinicius Junior just fine in a higher defensive line. And the clip below further highlights de Ligt dealing with Mbappe in the channel in a 1v1 ground duel which he wins by showing a good combination of positional awareness, speed over the first few yards, and his physical strength.

The majority of people overstate physical attributes in football. I was fortunate enough to have a discussion with a former Australian goalkeeper at a foundation day a few years ago and during our conversation he explained to me how the difference between the fastest and slowest players in most teams is very minor. And how timing is considerably more important that strength and speed.

I have seen people on here mention De Ligt ran 32.5km/hr and that makes him the slowest Bundesliga defender. But what is lost in that, is that if he ran 33.5km/hr, then he probably would be in the top 30% of that category.
The difference in the context of football is so minor (this isn't a marathon), and so if a player has the natural defending ability of De Ligt, then his anticipation and timing makes up for the speed he might give up to attackers.

In fact, a 1v1 run is fairly uncommon during a football match, and usually if you're in that situation, then you're probably at fault for an earlier error. Its the same context I used when we signed Martinez, I didn't think his height was an issue because it is so rare that two players jump up for a header when they're shoulder-to-shoulder, instead its typically just whichever player gets to the ball first will win the header. So it all comes down to timing and anticipation.

People reference Maguire, but Maguire has some of the most awful timing I have seen from a United defender, and if you go back and watch his worst moments, its not because he is being out run, but its because he is being left on his ass for doing the wrong thing in the defensive duel.

So for me, unless a player is extremely lacking speed or extremely fast (players like Walker etc), then the physical side of the game is fairly overestimated.

The majority of people overstate physical attributes in football. I was fortunate enough to have a discussion with a former Australian goalkeeper at a foundation day a few years ago and during our conversation he explained to me how the difference between the fastest and slowest players in most teams is very minor. And how timing is considerably more important that strength and speed.

I have seen people on here mention De Ligt ran 32.5km/hr and that makes him the slowest Bundesliga defender. But what is lost in that, is that if he ran 33.5km/hr, then he probably would be in the top 30% of that category.
The difference in the context of football is so minor (this isn't a marathon), and so if a player has the natural defending ability of De Ligt, then his anticipation and timing makes up for the speed he might give up to attackers.

In fact, a 1v1 run is fairly uncommon during a football match, and usually if you're in that situation, then you're probably at fault for an earlier error. Its the same context I used when we signed Martinez, I didn't think his height was an issue because it is so rare that two players jump up for a header when they're shoulder-to-shoulder, instead its typically just whichever player gets to the ball first will win the header. So it all comes down to timing and anticipation.

People reference Maguire, but Maguire has some of the most awful timing I have seen from a United defender, and if you go back and watch his worst moments, its not because he is being out run, but its because he is being left on his ass for doing the wrong thing in the defensive duel.

So for me, unless a player is extremely lacking speed or extremely fast (players like Walker etc), then the physical side of the game is fairly overestimated.

One thing people are forgetting when discussing top speeds to players is the time needed to reach to 32.5km/h. You have players that are electric in the first few yards, and make up for the fact that their top speed is not as high as the fastest player in the team.

It looks like we're going to have De Ligt and Martinez with Onana behind them. You would assume that we should at least be able to see some progress in playing it out from the back like Ajax :lol:

De Jong next year anyone.

It looks like we're going to have De Ligt and Martinez with Onana behind them. You would assume that we should at least be able to see some progress in playing it out from the back like Ajax :lol:

No way he will ever leave Barca for Utd

Let’s see if they manage to put his foot back on pointing the right way first

It’s ok to not be enamoured by the new potential shiny toy.

Because one doesn’t rate the new guy, it doesn’t necessarily mean they rate the old guy. I’m of the opinion that De Ligt is a marginal upgrade/side-grade on Maguire. But that doesn’t mean I rate Maguire.

An injury prone central defender? It sounds like he'll be right at home then.

He is going to end up playing against England in the Euros Semi's and is going to drop a howler of a mistake. I can sense it.

This is coming from someone who wants this signing as well btw.

Yeah I have reached that conclusion too, well apart from never in a million years like Rodri or Vini jr
Mate, this place would even moan about prime Messi so I doubt it.

Anyway, the way this deal is progressing make it seems very likely that he will be joining us soon after the conclusion of EUROs. I am not used to us signing someone of this profile this smoothly and quickly, so I am having this weird feeling that something bizzare will happen soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.