Day 5 | Turkey vs Georgia | Portugal vs Czechia

Wild that you'd leave a fit Diogo Jota on the bench for a 39 year old Ronaldo. He's a good finisher and he'll give you a lot of work rate.
But Ronaldo will still bang in goals even at the age of 40. Mr clinical. Be surprised if he doesn’t score 2 tonight.

Really? Vitinha is a superb player with Bruno partnering in midfield. Front 3 of B Silva, Ronaldo, and Leao is about as good as it gets, even with a past it Ronaldo. Defense also looks decent. And maybe the best bench in the tournament.

If anyone is going to score a banger , my money would be on vitinha .

Did Portugal play a back 3 in any of the qualifiers?

To me they'd be better playing 4-2-3-1. I thought Joao Neves was starting for them aswell.
Don't think they did. But they've lost couple of friendlies since then to Slovenia and Croatia. Probably triggered the change in formation

But Ronaldo will still bang in goals even at the age of 40. Mr clinical. Be surprised if he doesn’t score 2 tonight.

Maybe, or you might get what turned up in the world cup where he missed chances and generally didn't contribute anything. At the least you won't expect him to press like Jota would. We'll see.

Jota had that injury in the run in. I'd say him floating off Ronaldo with Leao out wide is the way to go so interested how it plays out on the pitch.

Yeah wouldn't disagree. Jota has to be on of the first names on the sheet for my anyway. I'd give Bernado the boot like you say since they have a lot of creators already with the fullbacks but not many runners.

Wild that you'd leave a fit Diogo Jota on the bench for a 39 year old Ronaldo. He's a good finisher and he'll give you a lot of work rate.

They would be best with both Jota and Ronaldo on together, Jota can win the penalties with his trademark swan dives and Ronaldo can score them.

Its incredible that despite being almost 40 years old Ronaldo isnt the oldest player in Portugals starting line-up.

Don't think they did. But they've lost couple of friendlies since then to Slovenia and Croatia. Probably triggered the change in formation

Think they possibly played it v Ireland as prep for the czecks. who normally play it .

Think they possibly played it v Ireland as prep for the czecks. who normally play it .
Tbh all the 'smaller' teams tend to play with 3 CBs in international competitions. Strange to see one of the favourites do so as well

Bit risky that from Martinez. I think Pepe is still o.k in a back 4 from what I saw of him in the CL this season.

I just don't understand this 11. So Martinez changes our defense, with players that have no routine together playing as an unit, against a Czech team that is strong on set pieces specifically in the aerial game smdh

Ronaldo looks up for it. Expect a big game from Bruno

Ronaldo has loaded up on the fake tan.

Oh no, Czech fans with Czech Republic worded hats and scarves. Someone on the Cafe will not be happy.

There are Holes in that Czech defence

That is a very attacking midfield. Lets see how Portugal do with it... Bruno does sometimes run around making challenges like a mad man, but theres nobody there who usually takes care of shielding the defence

It's the world cup 2045 and Pepe is still our starting CB.

Pepe starting at the tender age of 41. Wonder how many caps he'd have if he had declared for Brazil.

What is with that formation? Have Portugal been playing a 3-5-2 in qualifiers? Feels like they're made for a 4-3-3.

No jokes or games… I thought Roberto Martinez was still the manager of Belgium. When did he become Portugal manager? What happened?!

No jokes or games… I thought Roberto Martinez was still the manager of Belgium. When did he become Portugal manager? What happened?!

Straight after the World cup. They wanted Mourinho but he turned them down. Think he's regretting that now with Roma ditching him.

Portugal already missing a striker.. two decent cross in the box for NO-ONE in the first 3 mins.
CR7 must wake up