Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Fighter

Is that based on his one good season and the size of his transfer fee?
It's because he gets in a lot of good positions to score mainly. He creates chances through his movement.

If you look at our play, it's not like we're getting this many clear-cut chances and Martial/Ronaldo/Rashford are skying them.

It's because he gets in a lot of good positions to score mainly. He creates chances through his movement.

If you look at our play, it's not like we're getting this many clear-cut chances and Martial/Ronaldo/Rashford are skying them.
But you have seen his technique and his composure in front of goal?

But you have seen his technique and his composure in front of goal?

He could work on that. But he needs to be doing it soon because the longer he goes this way, the more pressure will be on him. Some of the chances he's missing can be attributed to mentality issues and that's only going to get worse the longer his bad run goes on.

He could do a Forlan, I reckon. He'll start scoring a few, but by then Liverpool might have found a replacement for him and he goes to another league and be the striker he could've been for Liverpool.

He could work on that. But he needs to be doing it soon because the longer he goes this way, the more pressure will be on him. Some of the chances he's missing can be attributed to mentality issues and that's only going to get worse the longer his bad run goes on.

He could do a Forlan, I reckon. He'll start scoring a few, but by then Liverpool might have found a replacement for him and he goes to another league and be the striker he could've been for Liverpool.
It comes naturally....that is the whole point and he does not have it.

Where we ever really in for him? If do I do question the judgment of our scouting department (and half the other top European clubs apparently ).

Where we ever really in for him? If do I do question the judgment of our scouting department (and half the other top European clubs apparently ).
I think probably yes, we knew Ronaldo was leaving so tried to replace him. He chose Liverpool as he loves Klopp.

We spent the money on Antony and Martinez instead.

He’d do a better job at #9 than Martial, that’s for sure. Although that’s a very low bar.
He’d score more goals but I’m not convinced he would make us a better team. Martial is a more talented and technical player that does help facilitate better football around him at times. I hated trading that for Lukaku and I wouldn’t want to trade it again here. There are better players than both out there.

He’d score more goals but I’m not convinced he would make us a better team. Martial is a more talented and technical player that does help facilitate better football around him at times. I hated trading that for Lukaku and I wouldn’t want to trade it again here. There are better players than both out there.
Lack of goals is the major thing wrong with our team, you can have all the talent and technical ability you want in a team but it isn't worth shit if you don't score goals

Lack of goals is the major thing wrong with our team, you can have all the talent and technical ability you want in a team but it isn't worth shit if you don't score goals
Sure but there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I remember having the exact same debates around Lukaku and he didn’t help our scoring either. Martial does of course need to score more himself but at the end of the day if he helps Rashford, Antony and Bruno all grab 10-15 each then that’s another way of approaching it. I don’t see why those players aren’t capable of that.

Sure but there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I remember having the exact same debates around Lukaku and he didn’t help our scoring either. Martial does of course need to score more himself but at the end of the day if he helps Rashford, Antony and Bruno all grab 10-15 each then that’s another way of approaching it. I don’t see why those players aren’t capable of that.
Lukaku was a flop mainly because he was tasked with something he wasn't really capable of, I wouldn't have bought him but he scored 28 in 66 PL appearences for us which isn't that shabby

anyone feel like he is getting an incredibly easy time?

having a worse spell than the one that caused a million five year olds to dedicate their tik toks to maguire while being more expensive.

people go on about how positive his runs are and how fast he looks.

he has changed the chemistry and is making one of the best teams in the history of football look very average compared to just a few months ago. he isn't as big a problem as ronaldo was at united, but he has been a big factor in taking liverpool down several levels. reminds me very much of falcao at united... watching him you just expect everything to be good and when it is bad you say you are waiting for the confidence to turn around. strikers in the premiership have very fine margins, and the difference between good and bad is tiny. im sure he will end the season with a few goals being part of such a creative side, anyone would get a few goals, but i don't think they get back near the level they were at with him at the 9

I still can't believe Paddy The Baddy lied to me and said Nunez would score more than Haaland this season.

He'd be 20 times more bantered if he played for us. Sky pundits would be permitted to call him a donkey cnut.

To be fair, Antony has come in for a huge fee and been largely underwhelming so far and hasn't been called a donkey.

I recall Chelsea fans saying the exact same thing about Werner.

No, it’s because of his pace and he’s the only player to hit.
look how many chances Ronaldo missed when he came back then remember he has the movement of a snail at this stage of his career.
Players can drag top teams down a level with forcing them to play a way to get the best out of them but not the team

No, it’s because of his pace and he’s the only player to hit.
look how many chances Ronaldo missed when he came back then remember he has the movement of a snail at this stage of his career.
Players can drag top teams down a level with forcing them to play a way to get the best out of them but not the team
Fair enough. I’d still have him over what we’ve got right now though, which was my original point

Rashford is better than Nunez.

It's too early to say but they are similar players.

Last season Rashford scored four league goals, five in total, Nunez scored twenty six league goals, thirty four in total. I know it was a different league but that's a bigger total than Rashford has ever made.

I do partly blame Ronaldo for Rashford and Bruno Fernandes dropping off last season though.

The weird thing is that Nunez was in decent form before the world cup. Maybe the frustration at a difficult world cup both for him and his country is playing on his mind?

Last edited:

having a worse spell than the one that caused a million five year olds to dedicate their tik toks to maguire while being more expensive.

he has changed the chemistry and is making one of the best teams in the history of football look very average compared to just a few months ago. he isn't as big a problem as ronaldo was at united, but he has been a big factor in taking liverpool down several levels. reminds me very much of falcao at united... watching him you just expect everything to be good and when it is bad you say you are waiting for the confidence to turn around. strikers in the premiership have very fine margins, and the difference between good and bad is tiny. im sure he will end the season with a few goals being part of such a creative side, anyone would get a few goals, but i don't think they get back near the level they were at with him at the 9
It's Scouse Sports.

If he played for United and did this the press would be destroying him by now. He would be labelled a huge flop all over the papers.

Somehow they've turned the narrative to "anytime now he will be class, matter of time". It seems they're thinking he's unlucky, rather than just not a good finisher.

To be fair, they’ve looked even worse when he doesn’t play.

It's Scouse Sports.

If he played for United and did this the press would be destroying him by now. He would be labelled a huge flop all over the papers.

Somehow they've turned the narrative to "anytime now he will be class, matter of time". It seems they're thinking he's unlucky, rather than just not a good finisher.
He is getting destroyed by press and social media though.
Some, me included, still think he's a better finisher than what he's shown so far for Liverpool and will end up a good player for them.
I think he's too erratic and steamed rather than unlucky with his finishing. A bit more composure and he'll find the back of the net a lot more.
Hope he won't figure it out, but think he will.

Why do people keep comparing Nunez to Antony on here? Is it some sort of self hate?

It's not comparing the players. It's responding to people who say that if Nunez was a United player, he'd be slated for how he's played so far (assuming that's because of the big fee) when we've had a player come in for a similar fee and not be slated.

It's not comparing the players. It's responding to people who say that if Nunez was a United player, he'd be slated for how he's played so far (assuming that's because of the big fee) when we've had a player come in for a similar fee and not be slated.

Antony’s not getting called a donkey because he doesn’t play like a donkey. He’s got loads of flaws but his touch is reliable and he usually kicks the ball where he wants it to go.

Antony’s not getting called a donkey because he doesn’t play like a donkey. He’s got loads of flaws but his touch is reliable and he usually kicks the ball where he wants it to go.
He's way too quick to be a donkey for starters

Players seem to get a lot of stick because folks correlate how much they cost as being relevant to their ability or expectations - it's nonsense, players don't set transfer fees so expectations based on them are pathetic IMO

He's way too quick to be a donkey for starters

Players seem to get a lot of stick because folks correlate how much they cost as being relevant to their ability or expectations - it's nonsense, players don't set transfer fees so expectations based on them are pathetic IMO

So if Darwin cost 5 million, had 5 league goals in 13 games, he'd still be called a donkey? Of course expectations come with cost. If Antony and Nunez continue to perform like they have so far they'll be branded flops, because of their cost.

You know that's not the point. I hadn't called him a donkey. The point was made that if Darwin played for United he'd be ridiculed for his performances so far. I pointed out that Antony's performances have been similarly underwhelming and he hasn't been ridiculed any more than Darwin has. We have a tendency to be paranoid about how the media treats our own clubs.

So if Darwin cost 5 million, had 5 league goals in 13 games, he'd still be called a donkey? Of course expectations come with cost. If Antony and Nunez continue to perform like they have so far they'll be branded flops, because of their cost.
If they continue to perform as they have I'll brand them flops irrespective of what they cost, my expectations are that they perform to the level of what the team requires, how much they cost doesn't come in to it