Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal had a world class striker in RVP and they limped to 4th that season. Getting a world class striker guarantees nothing. Getting a striker that can potentially maximize the potency of their entire attack... let's see how that goes.

Across the whole spectrum of football writers and football forums, there seems to be a lot of posts going to extremes regarding the Welbeck transfer.

He's either hyped ridiculously by worried United fans fearful of change, likewise by hopeful Arsenal fans hoping (understandably) that he proves to be a dream transfer. Or he's down-played ridiculously by reactionary United fans bitter at his pushing a move through and likewise by underwhelmed Arsenal fans who wanted a marquee transfer (though it should be added that they did get a marquee signing earlier in the window!).

The reality, as so often is the case, lies somewhere in the middle.

We've all seen enough of Welbeck, both at United and for England, to know that thus far in his career he hasn't ever proved to be an explosive enough talent to muscle his way into a starting CF role for either United or England. And realistically, I think we can all agree that his United career has hit a bit of a dead-end. He isn't gonna start over Rooney or RvP, let alone Falcao, and the club shouldn't dip our ambition to accommodate Welbeck as a starter.

That said, moves do tend revitalise players who have a point to prove, and at Arsenal he'll be playing in a way better balanced team as the lone CF (I imagine), so in all reality, I do actually expect his scoring stats to improve. Does this mean that United should be kicking ourselves for letting him go? No, not at all. If we signed Sanchez & Wilshere, sold Rooney and RvP and played Welbeck upfront on his own his stats would obviously increase but would our overall standing improve compared to our current squad? Not for me, no.

It will be incredibly annoying, not to mention more than a little short-sighted if every time Welbeck has a good game for Arsenal the media and our own fans are bemoaning our decision to sell him, as it's a completely different situation for him at Arse than it was here. He should do better there.

The other point that seems to be being missed a lot (especially by media) is that Welbeck tried to push a move through last season!

He's obviously been frustrated here for a while and has reached the point where he deserves first team football. Fair play, but lets not kid ourselves that he was ever gonna get that here or at any other truly elite club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29011493
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ited-pay-24-million-for-season-long-loan.html

It was all over twitter from reliable journalists days before he joined that the total cost for a year was approx £20m and how Monaco were offering him to most clubs.

No question it was made known he was available but it is United he chose if you believe Falcao and his father.

To try and make out United were his only option is pretty short sighted without actually knowing. The same can be said for his wage which no one actually knows in fairness as it varies from tabloid to tabloid.

No question it was made known he was available but it is United he chose if you believe Falcao and his father.

To try and make out United were his only option is pretty short sighted without actually knowing. The same can be said for his wage which no one actually knows in fairness as it varies from tabloid to tabloid.
I thought his father explicitly said he wanted to go to Madrid but they wouldn't stump up the cash for him?

Arsenal had a world class striker in RVP and they limped to 4th that season. Getting a world class striker guarantees nothing. Getting a striker that can potentially maximize the potency of their entire attack... let's see how that goes.
3rd they came in RVP's final season.

Joe Hart said he was the most annoying player in the England set up because of his love for United.

United fans, born in Manchester, had been with us since 8 years old.

fecks sake, I thought so. Good on him for moving to make sure he got to play football, but I really feel for him, must have been gutting to have to leave.

It's Ozil.... to Welbeck.... Goalllll! Rinse and repeat.
Sorry Pete, you'll be in for a surprise at how often he gets the ball caught under his feet or how often he performs his bambi on ice skill set.

Sorry Pete, you'll be in for a surprise at how often he gets the ball caught under his feet or how often he performs his bambi on ice skill set.
It's all about confidence - Arsene will make him think he's god's gift to goalscoring and women.

And that was the reason why he isn't good enough as striker for us....he must shoot on goal

Van Persie or Falcao or Ronaldo would never pass the ball to Sterling

All of those players would have rifled the ball straight in without a second thought. Killer instinct see.

Battle the hatches, boys. This one's gonna be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.