Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was gutted to see Danny go but have to say I've lost a lot of respect for him after seeing his Arsenal interview! To say you

And he has been part of allot of the dross that has come through the door since 2009, diouf obertan bebe de laat butner young and so on, sold Ronaldo replaced him with Valencia, obvious fergie made the decisions. But I never saw a huge number of players coming through the academy, but apart from RVP, DDG Hernandez possibly jones and smalling, our signings under fergie and phelan have been garbage, and VG's overhaul is evident of this

I tend to agree.

This "United way" idea is, for me a bit of a myth. Fergie did, and would have done whatever it took to win. He was lucky to have a youth team in or around '92 that provided the basis for a very succesful team. I suspect had the likes if Scholes, Giggs, Neville especially had been scattered across other clubs he'd have spent money to get them.

Regardless, what Phelan doesn't tell us is what you do when there isn't top players coming through the academy. It's naive to think you can take an average bunch of players and win titles regularly given the quality of competition in the PL. Fergie did it the season before last and it was a miracle but its madness to rely on that happening.

The nonsense Phelan is spouting shows in my opinion why it was wise to move him on. It's no good harking back to bygone glory days like Liverpool have done for decades. Things had to change and I'm glad the owners now know that underinvestment is a major reason why we are where we are.

I actually did dream I played for Arsenal once. I was about 14. We were playing some other team in Europe but they didn't have enough players to field a team so Arsenal gave them their worst player: me. I scored against them and put them out of Europe.

One of the best dreams I ever had, I'll never forget it.
Fantastic :lol:
I wonder if Fellaini came from Salford and fed off gravy and chips all his life, would people want him to stay
:lol:
I'm sure you weren't such a miserable twat the last time I was on here.
:lol:

The deal works for everyone. Danny always envisaged himself playing for Arsenal and we got a proven goalscorer who isn't scared to put the ball in the net. Everyone is happy.

Plus we have tireless runner in midfield now! And he is as productive as Fabregas himself!

I've been thinking about this and actually think it could be a very naive signing for Arsenal. Their first choice striker is injured and the fan base is already frustrated at his inability to score 25 goals a season. So they buy a player who is inferior in front of goal to cover for him whilst injured.

If i was an Arsenal fan I'd be pissed as it would suggest that for the next 3-4 years they aren't going to be in the market for a centre forward. When everyone knows Giroud/Welbeck isn't going to fire you to the league.

Without buying Welbeck there'd be a chance that they'd buy a top class striker either in January or next summer and be a real force. This signing could actually hold them back for a few years. Could end up being a very shrewd decision by LVG: £16m in the bank and hold back a rival for a few years.

Last edited:
If Welbeck comes off we've bought a top striker for a knockdown price, if he doesn't we'll get another and recoup most of the cash. Worst case he's a great fill-in for 4 months til Giroud is back.

I've been thinking about this and actually think it could be a very naive signing for Arsenal. Their first choice striker is injured and the fan base is already frustrated at his inability to score 25 goals a season. So they buy a player who is inferior in front of goal to cover for him whilst injured.

If i was an Arsenal fan I'd be pissed as it would suggest that for the next 3-4 years they aren't going to be in the market for a centre forward. When everyone knows Giroud/Welbeck isn't going to fire you to the league.

Without buying Welbeck there'd be a chance that they'd buy a top class striker either in January or next summer and be a real force. This signing could actually hold them back for a few years. Could end up being a very shrewd decision by LVG: £16m in the bank and hold back a rival for a few years.

So we buy a striker this season, but aren't permitted to do so for the next 3-4 because you've decided that in your head?

Well done.

So he put in a transfer request last season and forced through a move to Arsenal this time? Funny, any other player and he'd be facing abuse.

I have a bet with an Arsenal fan that they'll love him come the end of the season and he'll score over 15 goals. I expect a free lunch come May.

So he put in a transfer request last season and forced through a move to Arsenal this time? Funny, any other player and he'd be facing abuse.

This makes far too much sense, and because of this it will be ignored.

The deal works for everyone. Danny always envisaged himself playing for Arsenal and we got a proven goalscorer who isn't scared to put the ball in the net. Everyone is happy.
Well put! Except, some aren't happy.

So we buy a striker this season, but aren't permitted to do so for the next 3-4 because you've decided that in your head?

Well done.
He didn't put it in those absolute terms, did he?

That's my take on it,
I think Wenger can turn him into something special if given time and opportunity so it's a touch annoying he's gone there, but otherwise, personally, I've zero fondness of him.

Absolute rubbish. No one can begrudge a player that isn't getting games a move. Had he done this to, say, force a new contract or hold the club to ransom then it would be entirely different.

Absolute rubbish. No one can begrudge a player that isn't getting games a move. Had he done this to, say, force a new contract or hold the club to ransom then it would be entirely different.
Yeah, good thing you don't have players like that in your team....

I tend to agree.

This "United way" idea is, for me a bit of a myth. Fergie did, and would have done whatever it took to win. He was lucky to have a youth team in or around '92 that provided the basis for a very succesful team. I suspect had the likes if Scholes, Giggs, Neville especially had been scattered across other clubs he'd have spent money to get them.

Regardless, what Phelan doesn't tell us is what you do when there isn't top players coming through the academy. It's naive to think you can take an average bunch of players and win titles regularly given the quality of competition in the PL. Fergie did it the season before last and it was a miracle but its madness to rely on that happening.

The nonsense Phelan is spouting shows in my opinion why it was wise to move him on. It's no good harking back to bygone glory days like Liverpool have done for decades. Things had to change and I'm glad the owners now know that underinvestment is a major reason why we are where we are.

Fergie for me was the only one not clinging onto that class of 92, while others have been for far too long. He spent big and was ruthless in the process, booted the England captain out the door for a young Portuguese winger, and was about to do the same with Rooney.

The likes of phelan seems to be clinging into that class of 92, and only in one season did fergie put faith into welbeck to play upfront. But Phelans words come across like we were bringing through a ton of players. Even Paul Pogba was a transfer fee, not an academy player

Even Barcelona are superior to us in developing players, but they always pay for the best players in the process, Suarez was available they snapped him up, same with us with falcao. If clubs can do it, what should stop them?

Selling Welbeck was correct.

Do we want to be a team fighting for 4th with sentimentality? Or do we want to be cut-throat and stop at nothing to be the best of the best of the best of the best?

You may not like it, but selling Welbeck makes perfect sense from the viewpoint of a club looking to be the best in the World. As is signing Di Maria and Falcao.

If Welbeck was as good as some of you make out, he wouldn't be an Arsenal panic buy. He would have had Madrid and Barcelona tugging his arms. Alas they were not.

Given the obvious talent of James Wilson, coupled with the fact that Wilson hasn't looked out of his depth playing for the first team, is it reasonable to make the statement that not only is selling Welbeck the right thing to do, but that selling Welbeck is the necessary thing to do in order to increase Wilson's chance of progressing?

Are we short-sighted about Welbeck to the exclusion of not seeing the potential positive impact this might have?

Fergie for me was the only one not clinging onto that class of 92, while others have been for far too long. He spent big and was ruthless in the process, booted the England captain out the door for a young Portuguese winger, and was about to do the same with Rooney.

The likes of phelan seems to be clinging into that class of 92, and only in one season did fergie put faith into welbeck to play upfront. But Phelans words come across like we were bringing through a ton of players. Even Paul Pogba was a transfer fee, not an academy player

Even Barcelona are superior to us in developing players, but they always pay for the best players in the process, Suarez was available they snapped him up, same with us with falcao. If clubs can do it, what should stop them?

I think the big issue in being a successful club is to bring in the right players at the right time.

It's great when youth team players make the grade. But you also need to know when to spend big. Fergie did that with RVN, Keane, Yorke, Stam and Ferdinand and it worked well.

Any suggestion that selling Welbeck represents United now not bringing through youth is utter rubbish. His leaving brings Wilson in and around the first team. Januzaj will get a lot of games. Blackett is starting games right now and Lingard may get a look in as well.

Phelan and the likes are stuck in the past. The squad was poor and big names who left hasn't been replaced. The money in the game is such that fees are huge but you need to compete for the best players to compete for trophies.

Given the obvious talent of James Wilson, coupled with the fact that Wilson hasn't looked out of his depth playing for the first team, is it reasonable to make the statement that not only is selling Welbeck the right thing to do, but that selling Welbeck is the necessary thing to do in order to increase Wilson's chance of progressing?

Are we short-sighted about Welbeck to the exclusion of not seeing the potential positive impact this might have?

I think that's correct. Fergie moved on various players, home grown and otherwise to keep making gaps for younger players to come in. It's the right way to go for me.

Selling Welbeck was correct.

Do we want to be a team fighting for 4th with sentimentality? Or do we want to be cut-throat and stop at nothing to be the best of the best of the best of the best?

You may not like it, but selling Welbeck makes perfect sense from the viewpoint of a club looking to be the best in the World. As is signing Di Maria and Falcao.

If Welbeck was as good as some of you make out, he wouldn't be an Arsenal panic buy. He would have had Madrid and Barcelona tugging his arms. Alas they were not.

I don't think that selling Welbeck was correct. Unfortunately he wanted first team football and we couldn't provide it to him. He handled 2 transfer requests and at the second time we accepted. There's nothing more we could do.

Many forget that the 'identity' era nearly sold Ole who was under the same circumstances and he was a much more loyal and better player then Danny. It turned out that Ole was happy to cover the 3-4th striker role and fight for a first team place and he remained. United also sold Hughes (homegrown) to make space for Cole (English) and sold Cole to make space for RVN (foreigner). These things do happen

Last 2 players who wore 23 at Arsenal:

10635879_593257947486408_4916560110383355330_n.png
:lol::lol:

Well done.

You've invested a good chunk of cash in what Wenger clearly views as a talented young striker. Why would he then sign an established striker a few months later condemning him to the bench? Especially at a club with a limited budget.

Be gone you, Welbeck was the identity of our club, an identity we've lost by signing players who have been desperate to sign for us. We've only got ourselves to blame for forcing Lord Danny of Welbeck to hand in a transfer request and move to a rival after we had the audacity to play RVP and Rooney ahead of him.

R.I.P Manchester United football club
1878-2014

I remembered posting this a few months back. Scary.

The link up play that created so many chances and assist for us.

To be able to sign Falcao infront of Arsenal and then selling them our fourth choice striker so that they can us him as a starter is fantastic, almost to good to be true.

The link up play that created so many chances and assist for us.

To be able to sign Falcao infront of Arsenal and then selling them our fourth choice striker so that they can us him as a starter is fantastic, almost to good to be true.

I can see you're one of those people who didn't rate Welbeck. Funnily enough, we tend to play better football when he's up top and he formed a better partnership with Rooney than RVP does. Just off the top of my head, there was that wonderfully worked goal he scored vs Everton in 2011 where he dummied and Rooney laid the ball through.

Giving arsenal a pacey forward to hold the ball up for all of their attacking players to play off on the cheap is good whilst we've signed someone who for all his ability has never played in England and suffered from a big acl injury this calendar year, with the option to buy him for £40m when he's 29. It's not great business.

I remembered posting this a few months back. Scary.
Yeah I remember arguing with someone on here that he'd be perfect for Arsenal and would walk into their side. We'll see what happens when Giroud is back but I get the impression that Welbeck will be far better then him and suit them more.

So will this thread become like teh Berbatov and Pogba threads where everytime he scores a goal we just repeat the same conversations again?

Always liked Danny, had hoped he would have a long a career at United. Wish him all teh best except when he plays us. Have a feeling he will get off to a hot start at Arsenal and drive this thread into a frenzy.

So will this thread become like teh Berbatov and Pogba threads where everytime he scores a goal we just repeat the same conversations again?

Always liked Danny, had hoped he would have a long a career at United. Wish him all teh best except when he plays us. Have a feeling he will get off to a hot start at Arsenal and drive this thread into a frenzy.

Bumps will be far in-between in that case.

Welbz is gonna get 25 league goals and you'll be crawling back into your cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.