Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because all the players who have left Arsenal get bad receptions right? The only ones Arsenal fans really dislike are Nasri & RVP.

Ashley Cole, Adebayor? I think Fabregas will get a mixed reception though not being his fault, and based mainly cos he plays for Chelsea, not him personally.

Tbf Falcao said "We have great players" ... and not "We won the FA Cup", anyway no big deal with Welbeck saying it.

For those desperate for an open letter: Has the club put on a message on it's website thanking Welbeck for his contributions? I don't know, maybe they have. I just know about that one tweet highlighting his goal scoring record.
Di Maria thanked RM fans in his open letter but also had digs at RM stating that RM/Perez had lied.

We don't know what really happened here, but before Welbeck or the club make accusations to each other, I'd rather noone says anything at least for a while.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Sep/Danny-Welbeck-joins-Arsenal.aspx

Welbeck joins Arsenal from United
Manchester United and Arsenal have reached agreement for the transfer of Danny Welbeck, who has moved to the Emirates Stadium on a long-term deal.
The 23-year-old England international is a product of the Reds' famed Academy and went on to score 29 goals in 142 first team appearances, winning three major honours along the way.

The transfer is subject to the completion of regulatory formalities.

Everybody at Manchester United would like to thank Danny for his service and wish him well for the future.

Ashley Cole, Adebayor? I think Fabregas will get a mixed reception though not being his fault, and based mainly cos he plays for Chelsea, not him personally.

Oh yeah forgot about those two. Players like Vieira, Toure and Clichy have left and never received a bad receptions. It was the way those guys left which left a bitter taste. In Cole's case we were to blame too imo but those other player imo treated the club poorly and the fans remember that.

A lot of the fans don't have a problem with Fabregas for leaving but joining Chelsea might mean some of them are upset.

Well, if you listen to the arguments, he has to be played as a center forward. Arsenal won't give him that chance if Giroud is fit. I'm not getting it either, posters are arguing that he is a better player when played as a center forward, but both Man Utd and Arsenal can't give him that role in the near future. In that case, we should all be happy that Welbeck has gone to Arsenal with his left wing stats?

Right now he has a few months to prove himself in his preferred position, with Giroud out of the picture. Isn't that what every player deserves? If Welbeck hashes this up, then fair enough. But if he does well, worse case scenario he will be involved in many games as a starter or a substitute, again in his favorite position.

Right now he has a few months to prove himself in his preferred position, with Giroud out of the picture. Isn't that what every player deserves? If Welbeck hashes this up, then fair enough. But if he does well, worse case scenario he will be involved in many games as a starter or a substitute, again in his favorite position.

I agree with you adex and I think he made the right move to Arsenal.

He definitely made the right decision. I'd have liked van Gaal to show him the love but given he didn't it was the right time to move on. I reckon he'll do well at Arsenal, score more goals than he did for us. Not the new Henry, but a very good striker nonetheless. We'll see who is the better striker out of him and Sturridge now.

It'll do his England chances the world of good too.

Tbf Falcao said "We have great players" ... and not "We won the FA Cup", anyway no big deal with Welbeck saying it.
The FA Cup bit was stupid alright, other than that, standard new person at club fare, for everyone except David Moyes.

The difference here being that Falcao didnt leave a club he's been at since he was under 10 to join their direct rivals. Its a different case.
Doesn't matter lad. Just another Arsenal player now.

You are probably right about Fergie, but he was the one who bought RVP and knocked Danny back down the pecking order again. He didn't put his trust in him at all.

Yes. Well, I think we can all agree that Fergie bought RVP to win us one last title before he retired. RVP was a luxury buy, just like Falcao, it landed in Fergie's lap (totally unexpected and unplanned) and he couldn't pass it up in his retirement year (Im certain he already made his decision to retire at the end of the season regardless of who we signed or where we ended up in the table). The season before RVP came, Welbeck and Rooney formed a good partnership and Welbeck had a return of 13 goals. RVP's signing set his progress back. @RedRover

Yes. Well, I think we can all agree that Fergie bought RVP to win us one last title before he retired. RVP was a luxury buy, just like Falcao, it landed in Fergie's lap and he couldn't pass it up in his retirement year (Im certain he already made his decision to retire at the end of the season regardless of who we signed or where we ended up in the table).
Fergie didn't retire after van Persie's first season, rather after his second, but I agree with you, too good to pass up.

Why is everyone so convinced that he will succeed under Wenger? The last time I checked arsenal have struggled to find a decent goal scorer after Henry.Several potential strikers have failed to live up to their expectations under wenger.I think fans are clinging heavily to the narrative that since he is no longer a united player, he just might start performing well.I really do not see how he will score 25 goals or even 15 goals this season. He is a poor finisher,with a dreadful first touch. His main attribute which arsenal fans can take solace in are his speed and hard working nature.

Why is everyone so convinced that he will succeed under Wenger? The last time I checked arsenal have struggled to find a decent goal scorer after Henry.Several potential strikers have failed to live up to their expectations under wenger.I think fans are clinging heavily to the narrative that since he is no longer a united player, he just might start performing well.I really do not see how he will score 25 goals or even 15 goals this season. He is a poor finisher,with a dreadful first touch. His main attribute which arsenal fans can take solace in are his speed and hard working nature.

Yeah I cringed when I read the bit about him saying 'When we won the FA Cup'. Feck sake Danny you weren't there when they won it

This forum is overrating him a bit and being melodramatic(see twiggs it hurts to put him in the arsenal squad post) but he is going to do very well at arsenal. If he is surrounded by sanchez and walcott, the burden of scoring wont be on him and he will be expected to perform a similar role to benzema which he is very good at. Has all the attributes to be a supporting forward to a pair of wing forwards.

Its going to be a mistake selling him imo.
How can it be a mistake to sell a player who wants to leave?

Fergie didn't retire after van Persie's first season, rather after his second, but I agree with you, too good to pass up.

What? RVP only played one season under Fergie. Last season under Moyes was his second and this season is his third. You must think he signed in 11/12 and not 12/13 when Fergie retired!

What? RVP only played one season under Fergie. Last season under Moyes was his second and this season is his third. You must think he signed in 11/12 and not 12/13 when Fergie retired!
Your just jealous he has managed to blank out the Moyes era.

Have you consider why he wanted to leave?

As for 'poor first touch' from whoever that was above, you wonder if some people ever actually watched him play.
Because he was 3rd choice, before signing Falcao? Him being 3rd choice was because 3 separate managers thought he wasn't good enough to be anymore than that.

Our attack has been shit for the past 18-24 months. Our most utilized and comfortable player in the system is Antonio fecking Valencia. I'm not blaming Kagawa and Welbeck for not being able to synch into a dysfunctional system that falls down when compared to our rivals both in England and Europe.

No doubt, but good players will assert themselves and not blame the system. Kagawa and Welbeck's performances for us haven't dipped lately imo. They have been consistently average for their whole time here in my opinion.

Because he was 3rd choice, before signing Falcao? Him being 3rd choice was because 3 separate managers thought he wasn't good enough to be anymore than that.
SAF showed that he did think he was good enough by dropping Rooney for him at Madrid. Where he was our motm and only goalscorer.

When actually played up top he scores goals. He also made the team function better.

He's going to be missed. He's also going to make Arsenal better. This is a mistake, plain and simple.

How can it be a mistake to sell a player who wants to leave?

Its going to be a mistake selling him to arsenal imo.

Better? Although given that the whole post talks about how he will fit in their, would have thought people would have enough sense to know it was referencing to that but who knows.

We also could have kept him and sold one of our other forwards.

SAF showed that he did think he was good enough by dropping Rooney for him at Madrid. Where he was our motm and only goalscorer.

When actually played up top he scores goals. He also made the team function better.

He's going to be missed. He's also going to make Arsenal better. This is a mistake, plain and simple.
I look at it differently. He was 3rd choice, which he didn't like being and wanted to move. No point keeping a player like that, therefore it was a good decision by everyone involved. Can't be mistake when it works out for everyone.

I seriously doubt United would want to sell him to rival club, we could have loaned/sold him anywhere, Southamton for an example. Probably Arsenal was his choice.

Oh yeah forgot about those two. Players like Vieira, Toure and Clichy have left and never received a bad receptions. It was the way those guys left which left a bitter taste. In Cole's case we were to blame too imo but those other player imo treated the club poorly and the fans remember that.

A lot of the fans don't have a problem with Fabregas for leaving but joining Chelsea might mean some of them are upset.

It's all about the way they leave and act after, I agree. I hope Welbeck doesn't start talking shit, I doubt he would but stranger things have happened.

From the Arsenal fans I know, they seem pissed at Wenger about Fabregas going to Chelsea more than anything. Is that something others share?

He will make Arsenal better because of their severe lack of striking options, but other than his local accent in the first team squad, he will not be missed from our playing team one bit.

The reaction of his leaving is only an emotional one because of his heritage. That can't be easily demeaned, but there is some serious revisionism going on this board right now regarding his abilities and contribution to the team. Much like Cleverley, he had ample chance to make the grade. At his age, the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Falcao, Di Maria etc were bossing it in their teams.

welbeck's status as promising young player expired 18 months ago, that slot needs to be freed up and it's rightly been assigned to Wilson. He has no role in our squad this year, it's that simple.

He will make Arsenal better because of their severe lack of striking options, but other than his local accent in the first team squad, he will not be missed from our playing team one bit.

The reaction of his leaving is only an emotional one because of his heritage. That can't be easily demeaned, but there is some serious revisionism going on this board right now regarding his abilities and contribution to the team. Much like Cleverley, he had ample chance to make the grade. At his age, the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Falcao, Di Maria etc were bossing it in their teams.

welbeck's status as promising young player expired 18 months ago, that slot needs to be freed up and it's rightly been assigned to Wilson. He has no role in our squad this year, it's that simple.
Sorry but lumping him in with Cleverley is just mental. One had had repeated chances in his primary position and one has been repeatedly played out of position and lambasted for failing to compete with seasoned strikers whilst being played out wide.

My views on Welbeck are not in any way revisionist. Go back and read my posts, I've always been behind him. He's going to show a lot of people up.

Status
Not open for further replies.