Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Henry of Arsenal. Sickening. Phelan was right and im sure Fergie agrees with him in silence.
You are probably right about Fergie, but he was the one who bought RVP and knocked Danny back down the pecking order again. He didn't put his trust in him at all.

Who cares if he writes a letter or sheds a tear? Some believe it's not a bad deal and some think it's the end of the world.

I have never in my life witnessed this much fuss over a player of Welbeck's level leaving. The funnier thing is, he's gotten even better since leaving too. I've seen posts claim that he was right not to waste away while players of lower ability start over him earlier today. :wenger:

You want Blind to thank them thrice? With all the media available its not a hard task to thank the United fans if he'd want to, he clearly doesnt.
No, I'm just making the point that people like you criticising him for not thanking the fans after his first interview with Arsenal was posted and it didn't contain a thank you are being unreasonable. Its not something that players often do when speaking to their new clubs. I just don't think its a big deal that he hasn't thanked the fans specifically when he's also said that he loved his time at the club.

That's just the way people get entrenched to make a point I'd say. He's a good lad and a good footballer, and I personally would happily have kept him as a back up striker or happily taken 16m for him.
That's is what he is at United and he doesn't like it. We didn't kick him out, he chose to leave. He is a good lad, but he wants more football and we obviously don't rate him high enough to use him as a main striker in our system. We don't know what LvG is going to use as a formation in future. His game time might be even more restricted. RVP or Rooney might get a shock as well if they don't perform.

Em, I'm not only criticising him for his lack of goals. I'm judging someone with ambitions to be a CF on what I see to be a poor finisher and also what the the goals per game stats say to back up what I see. If Giggs and Iniesta claimed to be CFs I would argue that they are not, but they are amazing midfielders and should play there, pretty much like they did in fact.

Goals apart, do you think he contributes as much as Giggs or Iniesta? Because I don't.

His record is poor when played on the wing, but it's completely other story when he plays up top which many stats here confirmed, but you are ignoring them and just sticking with your own about his whole United career. Why are you ignoring that he had better stats up front last season than Rooney and van Persie? He scored 6 goals in 6 games when both players were injured, and once Robin and Rooney returned he was moved to the bench/shifted on the wing and stayed there even though his performances were much better than theirs and we as a team looked much better with him leading the attack(hence our best winning run was at the time he was our number 9). What more could he do to claim his quality as a CF?

I don't think he contributes as much as Giggs or Iniesta on the wing, same as they wouldn't contribute as him if they are played in attack. Just because he is striker and playing on the wing doesn't mean he should automatically score more goals than natural wingers. If Giggsy was dribbling three players per game while playing on the wing does that mean he would have same number of dribbles per game if he was played as a striker?

"I've envisaged myself playing in this team before. For it to finally happen is very exciting."

Come on Danny, not even the most blinkered Gooner is going to believe you!

I have never in my life witnessed this much fuss over a player of Welbeck's level leaving. The funnier thing is, he's gotten even better since leaving too. I've seen posts claim that he was right not to waste away while players of lower ability start over him earlier today. :wenger:

Muller/Ronaldo type player, the last of the british movers and passers etc..

No top club can give him more games than we did without scoring goals. The truth is if Danny was bought for any amount of money he'd long been hounded out of the club. While having home grown players is amazing, the most important thing is their ability, not where they were youth players. He has never been anything but hit and miss as a striker. He got his chances and arguably made less impact in the box than Hernandez or even Macheda. Well not Macheda maybe
Exactly

Muller/Ronaldo type player, the last of the british movers and passers etc..

This forum is overrating him a bit and being melodramatic(see twiggs it hurts to put him in the arsenal squad post) but he is going to do very well at arsenal. If he is surrounded by sanchez and walcott, the burden of scoring wont be on him and he will be expected to perform a similar role to benzema which he is very good at. Has all the attributes to be a supporting forward to a pair of wing forwards.

Its going to be a mistake selling him imo.

The world is crumbling around us and people are bleating about a very rich young man getting paid to do what he loves

Well almost all of us get extremely excited about 22 very rich young men (and three slightly older, not as rich, not as young men) getting paid to do what they love most weekends, so I'm not sure what you mean?

This forum is overrating him a bit and being melodramatic(see twiggs it hurts to put him in the arsenal squad post) but he is going to do very well at arsenal. If he is surrounded by sanchez and walcott, the burden of scoring wont be on him and he will be expected to perform a similar role to benzema which he is very good at. Has all the attributes to be a supporting forward to a pair of wing forwards.

You're talking as if he wasn't surrounded by a team that came 2nd in 11/12, when he played the majority of games as a striker. After that season, he was never trusted again by SAF. He's not going to pull up any trees as Arsenal either.

You're talking as if he wasn't surrounded by a team that came 2nd in 11/12, when he played the majority of games as a striker. After that season, he was never trusted again by SAF. He's not going to pull up any trees as Arsenal either.

Our 11/12 team wasnt really that fluid in attack other than the first few games of the season where he excelled. Our tactics for the past couple of seasons has been pass it to rooney who passes it to valencia who crosses it in for the majority of the game. We dont play through balls and require our strikers to get us the majority of goals.

Look at arsenal midfield and compare their goals scored with ours, I think after mata the next highest will be less than five goals for the whole season?

He may well be a great signing for Arsenal and I do wish him the best at Arsenal, but my opinion is that he's not going to be the difference for Arsenal. We'll have to see how this pans out MJJ

Well almost all of us get extremely excited about 22 very rich young men (and three slightly older, not as rich, not as young men) getting paid to do what they love most weekends, so I'm not sure what you mean?

I mean theres more important things to worry about than a single football players ability or lack there of and where he plays football

Our 11/12 team wasnt really that fluid in attack other than the first few games of the season where he excelled. Our tactics for the past couple of seasons has been pass it to rooney who passes it to valencia who crosses it in for the majority of the game. We dont play through balls and require our strikers to get us the majority of goals.

Look at arsenal midfield and compare their goals scored with ours, I think after mata the next highest will be less than five goals for the whole season?

True, but we were still a brilliant team and played good football that season for the most part. Only one or two points off City too for the title. When have Arsenal last done that?

All I'm saying is, if he was as good as some claim as a striker, why didn't SAF persist with him? a manager that loved his strikers too? the truth is, he was hit or miss.

He was 20 years old at the beginning of that season. I seriously doubt someone as experienced as Fergie at developing young footballers would "never trust him again" after a single season, at such a young age.

I added to the ppst above saying that if Welbeck's effectiveness was in such a limited area our attack, then he is not good enough for the fluidity required in my opinion. It's Kagawa all over again, if they are that good they must show some positional flexibility and it's up to them to fit in, not vice versa based on potential.

Our attack has been shit for the past 18-24 months. Our most utilized and comfortable player in the system is Antonio fecking Valencia. I'm not blaming Kagawa and Welbeck for not being able to synch into a dysfunctional system that falls down when compared to our rivals both in England and Europe.

Welbeck will have been aware that Arsenal fans cheered when SSN reported that the move was off! The fact he's now trying to get them on side shouldn't come as a surprise.

"I've envisaged myself playing in this team before. For it to finally happen is very exciting."

Come on Danny, not even the most blinkered Gooner is going to believe you!
Is that the "I've always dreamed of playing for............."(whoever the player signs for).........speech?

True, but we were still a brilliant team and played good football that season for the most part. Only one or two points off City too for the title. When have Arsenal last done that?

All I'm saying is, if he was as good as some claim as a striker, why didn't SAF persist with him? a manager that loved his strikers too? the truth is, he was hit or miss.

He was hit and miss and his goal scoring record was horrible, he is what I would describe as a defensive forward. My point is that the way he plays is going to suit arsenal as thats what they require from their striker most of the time and they also play with the ball on the ground more than us which is again going to suit him. We had no need to sell him to a rival for the top four season but still did.

That season was horrible though, city had a massive meltdown and we then proceeded to have an even bigger one to lose the title to them.

Didnt we lose the title on goal difference though? We lost to chelsea by one point a few seasons back.

He may well be a great signing for Arsenal and I do wish him the best at Arsenal, but my opinion is that he's not going to be the difference for Arsenal. We'll have to see how this pans out MJJ

True, hopefully we will laugh about how they paid us 16m for him in a few years time :devil:

He was 20 years old at the beginning of that season. I seriously doubt someone as experienced as Fergie at developing young footballers would "never trust him again" after a single season, at such a young age.

He was 20 years old, but IMO not a lot has changed in regards to his development as a player since then. Just my opinion.

SAF didn't trust him again though? which is why this debate happens about him not getting enough chances as a striker.

He was 20 years old, but IMO not a lot has changed in regards to his development as a player since then. Just my opinion.

SAF didn't trust him again though? which is why this debate happens about him not getting enough chances as a striker.

I think he's got a lot better in front of goal. The miss against Bayern is stuck in everyone's memory but he actually converted a decent range of chances last season. His chance conversion % (I know, stats, eh?) was better than any other striker in our squad. Wouldn't have predicted that a couple of years beforehand.

Anyway, Imma take a break from this thread. Everything that needs to be said has been said. Dreading the inevitable bumps when he starts scoring but hopefully Falcao and al will make us not give a shit about what's happening at Arsenal.

The new Henry of Arsenal. Sickening. Phelan was right and im sure Fergie agrees with him in silence.

Fergie rated him so highly he bought RVP rather than give Welbeck a run alongside Rooney.

Phelan is losing credibility with all the nonsense he's spouting - typical to bleat on about the past and the way things used to be done when you've been consigned to the past as well.

It's time to face facts - Fergie is gone and the great youth team products from '92 are gone as well. The club needs to trust someone else to take it forward.

Youth team players are great if they're good enough to warrant a place on merit, if not its best for everyone to move on - for the players and the club.

The difference doesn't have to be a single player. The emphasis should be on building a working system. We wouldn't buy Henderson but he is an important cog in Rodger's system. Welbeck has the tools to make the Arsenal side click, without standing out like Ronaldo or Messi. Meanwhile at United, we're concerned about stuffing RVP, Rooney and Falcao in the same side.

Maybe I don't get it.

The difference doesn't have to be a single player. The emphasis should be on building a working system. We wouldn't buy Henderson but he is an important cog in Rodger's system. Welbeck has the tools to make the Arsenal side click, without standing out like Ronaldo or Messi. Meanwhile at United, we're concerned about stuffing RVP, Rooney and Falcao in the same side.

Maybe I don't get it.

Well, if you listen to the arguments, he has to be played as a center forward. Arsenal won't give him that chance if Giroud is fit. I'm not getting it either, posters are arguing that he is a better player when played as a center forward, but both Man Utd and Arsenal can't give him that role in the near future. In that case, we should all be happy that Welbeck has gone to Arsenal with his left wing stats?

I think he's got a lot better in front of goal. The miss against Bayern is stuck in everyone's memory but he actually converted a decent range of chances last season. His chance conversion % (I know, stats, eh?) was better than any other striker in our squad. Wouldn't have predicted that a couple of years beforehand.

Anyway, Imma take a break from this thread. Everything that needs to be said has been said. Dreading the inevitable bumps when he starts scoring but hopefully Falcao and al will make us not give a shit about what's happening at Arsenal.

I honestly don't think we'll regret much Pogue, but feel free to come back and haunt me if we do. I have a lot of faith in LVG's judgement too, who like SAF, brought in a world class striker instead of giving Danny good run at a position everybody says he'll thrive in.

Yet, when Falcao done the same, everyone here was delighted.
Tbf Falcao said "We have great players" ... and not "We won the FA Cup", anyway no big deal with Welbeck saying it.

For those desperate for an open letter: Has the club put on a message on it's website thanking Welbeck for his contributions? I don't know, maybe they have. I just know about that one tweet highlighting his goal scoring record.
Di Maria thanked RM fans in his open letter but also had digs at RM stating that RM/Perez had lied.

We don't know what really happened here, but before Welbeck or the club make accusations to each other, I'd rather noone says anything at least for a while.

Shows the difference between United and Arsenal fans. He will get a good reception back at Old Trafford, could you imagine the reception a player would get if he moved from Arsenal to United.

Yes because all the players who have left Arsenal get bad receptions right? The only ones Arsenal fans really dislike are Nasri & RvP.

Welbeck will have been aware that Arsenal fans cheered when SSN reported that the move was off! The fact he's now trying to get them on side shouldn't come as a surprise.

As a player you should pay more attention to what the coaches want from you rather than the fans. The fans wouldn't have been satisfied unless we signed Cavani as our striker!

Like I said before we wouldn't have been my first choice but definitely not someone I'm displeased about signing.

Is that the "I've always dreamed of playing for............."(whoever the player signs for).........speech?
I actually did dream I played for Arsenal once. I was about 14. We were playing some other team in Europe but they didn't have enough players to field a team so Arsenal gave them their worst player: me. I scored against them and put them out of Europe.

One of the best dreams I ever had, I'll never forget it.

What did welbeck say that annoyed everyone? if somebody could even tell me the number of the post that its on that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.