Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
13-14_united_strikers_ss.jpg

That's with Secondary Striker stats and Center Forward stats combined. Rooneys Key Passes is impressive. His conversion rate, much less so.

:lol: There's no doubt we could've beaten you to Falcao, Wenger had no intention of destroying his wage structure and getting into bed with Mendes.

Falcao's a good player, but he's also a mercenary. Don't delude yourselves.

Why would a top manager not want to 'get into bed with mendes' that makes no sense.

'Form a relationship with one of the most powerful men in football, who could help us attract top footballers in the future? Nah'

Wes Brown and Darren Fletcher were always on the fringes of the team early in their career, yet they both persisted and became starters in the team (granted Fletcher is a bit cack now). Welbeck is still only 23 and has had the chance to work under a world class manager renown for his work with youth, and with RVP and Rooney underwhelming so far, he could have once again proven himself.
Were Wes Brown and Fletcher wanted by Arsenal?

They also had the benefit of being under Sir Alex. It wasn't a case of a second new manager in two years, who'll have their favourites and use completely different methods.
The same guy who gave them their chance, was their manager years later. Not the case for Welbeck.

If he wasn't a local lad, nobody would really expect him to work for his place (a place that wasn't coming his way in a hurry) or think negatively of him for deciding to move for guaranteed games.
Moving to a very good team with great prospects and space for you, who have an equally good manager who wants you, for a similar wage makes sense.

The only reasons not to move would be out of putting United ahead of himself. Football careers are to short for that.

Were Wes Brown and Fletcher wanted by Arsenal?
They also had the benefit of being under Sir Alex. It wasn't a case of a second new manager in two years, who'll have their favourites and use completely different methods.

The same guy who gave them their chance, was their manager years later. Not the case for Welbeck.
If he wasn't a local lad, nobody would really expect him to work for his place (a place that wasn't coming his way in a hurry) or think negatively of him for deciding to move for guaranteed games.
Moving to a very good team with space for you, with an equally good manager who wants you, with great prospects and a similar wage makes sense.

The only reasons not to move would be out of putting United ahead of himself. Football careers are to short for that.

Like I said, I don't resent him for it, and heck deep down I can even empathise.

But I don't want him to do well, considering he's now the main striker for our top 4 rival I hope he immensely flops, regardless of whether he was at United since being an embryo, he's no longer a United player.

Similar type of thing I saw on RoM from last season. Number of goals per 90 minutes, when penalties are removed.
Blc2cFdCMAE6_1n.jpg

Wrong thread for it but I'd love to see a really detailed breakdown of individual stats (including passing) for Rooney vs RvP as centre forwards and Rooney vs Mata/Kagawa as number 10s.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him out-perform all of them, in both positions, yet we're seeing threads about how badly we cocked up not selling him. Go figure.

Wrong thread for it but I'd love to see a really detailed breakdown of individual stats (including passing) for Rooney vs RvP as centre forwards and Rooney vs Mata/Kagawa as number 10s.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him out-perform all of them, in both positions, yet we're seeing threads about how badly we cocked up not selling him. Go figure.

I know you were always a big fan of him mate, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this whole deal?

I think he'll fit in well, his style suits us and I think (hope) Wenger will help develop his finishing. I think the fact we have several England teammates will help him settle quickly too.

Not sure if this has been asked but to any season ticket holders, will you applaud Welbeck if he plays against us?

Not sure if this has been asked but to any season ticket holders, will you applaud Welbeck if he plays against us?

I don't expect any boos, unless of course he does the unthinkable and scores past us and celebrated.. I will admit that I won't be delighted to see him, he is just another opposition player to me.

I know you were always a big fan of him mate, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this whole deal?

I think he'll fit in well, his style suits us and I think (hope) Wenger will help develop his finishing. I think the fact we have several England teammates will help him settle quickly too.

I think he's a great signing for Arsenal. Can see him creating and scoring more goals for you this season than Sanchez. No, really.

The delusion is strong with this one.

Playing CL and living in London for a season where he would be undisputed #1 striker? Arsenal could have made a stronger case for mine.

As much as I would have loved him to join us you just know Wenger was never going to spend 20 million for a player for one season. Though playing with Di Maria and RVP would be a huge attraction (as would playing for MUFC itself), I think playing in the CL with Ozil and Sanchez etc would be an equal attraction at least.

So, Arsenal, a club in desperate need of a prolific centre forward, could have signed Falcao on deadline day. They just didn't want to.

Right.

Or more to do with Falcao wanting Real Madrid and Wenger never allowing the club to spend 20 million on a player for a solitary season, as much as I wish he did. He wouldn't pay Falcao's wages considering they'd be over double the next highest earner at the club, it just wouldn't happen.

Or more to do with Falcao wanting Real Madrid and Wenger never allowing the club to spend 20 million on a player for a solitary season, as much as I wish he did. He wouldn't pay Falcao's wages considering they'd be over double the next highest earner at the club, it just wouldn't happen.
Not paying this sort of money is what led Manchester United into the mess it's in now, Arsenal will eventually have to break the bank or face mediocrity.

Not paying this sort of money is what led Manchester United into the mess it's in now, Arsenal will eventually have to break the bank or face mediocrity.

Players like Ramsey, Ozil and Sanchez are not on money anywhere near that... Don't think that statement holds much truth. Though we have been opportunistic.

And RVP and Rooney are on big cash, Rooney especially. It's not as if United haven't or can't spend that kind of money considering they generate so much. I don't think we can compete in that sense.

Players like Ramsey, Ozil and Sanchez are not on money anywhere near that... Don't think that statement holds much truth. Though we have been opportunistic.
Well in fairness you haven't properly challenged for the title in years, since City and Chelsea came on the scene really.

Fifth choice! :lol:

dont see why Welbeck is mad for. Imagine how hernandez must have felt...

But then again dont know whether to believe this since Welbeck was lookin too leave way before Falcao was even in contention to become a united player

dont see why Welbeck is mad for. Imagine how hernandez must have felt...

But then again dont know whether to believe this since Welbeck was lookin too leave way before Falcao was even in contention to become a united player

I think it all boils down to that he wanted to play regularly in his favorite position. It wasn't happening under Moyes, and LVG indicated that it wasn't going to happen under him either, even before Falcao.

Also, those stats make me more convinced than ever that the way forward was to get rid of RvP and keep Welbeck. Of course that was never going to happen with the ex-Dutch national coach in charge.

Bah humbug.

That was my opinion before the season began and before I looked at these statistics. Hopefully for our sake the injuries RvP had last season resulted in his poor season and he'll recover from them.

Also, those stats make me more convinced than ever that the way forward was to get rid of RvP and keep Welbeck. Of course that was never going to happen with the ex-Dutch national coach in charge.

Bah humbug.

Totally agree, but LvG just doesn't seem to rate Welbeck. If he really was 5th choice, he would've just left next year for a lesser fee. Funny that all the pundits now have a go at United when it was actually SAF with the purchase of RvP, that totally ended Welbecks chance of ever developing into a class CF.

Totally agree, but LvG just doesn't seem to rate Welbeck. If he really was 5th choice, he would've just left next year for a lesser fee. Funny that all the pundits now have a go at United when it was actually SAF with the purchase of RvP, that totally ended Welbecks chance of ever developing into a class CF.

Apparently not.

I've been wondering how big a role Giggs has played in rating the various options?

Surely LvG isn't making definitive judgements based on such a short time working with the squad? Would be worried, if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.