Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
He scored 12 goals in his last 79 appearances. Stats may not prove he wasn't up to it, but they were not 'very good'.

Exactly this, stats can be very misleading sometimes.. he scored 12 goals in 79 games for us but as some stats earlier in the thread show, 5/6 of them came in the space of 10 games or something.. that's then 6/7 goals in the remaining 69 games for example. That for a "promising" striker simply isn't very good.

He scored 12 goals in his last 79 appearances. Stats may not prove he wasn't up to it, but they were not 'very good'.
Jaysus, that's bad. Although he did play out of position a lot.

My worry is that he'll find his feet up front consistently, though, but it could easily go the other way either.

I am hoping that LvG knows best here and has the knowledge to see he'll never be a prolific striker.

I often thought that it was a matter of time before Welbeck finally found his confidence in front of goal and started banging them in. It never happened for various reasons but I have this horrid feeling that it will all click for him at Arsenal. He will have 3 months of no competition for his spot and the likes of Ozil, Cazorla and Ramsay behind him. It's all perfectly fecking set up for him to succeed there.

Exactly this, stats can be very misleading sometimes.. he scored 12 goals in 79 games for us but as some stats earlier in the thread show, 5/6 of them came in the space of 10 games or something.. that's then 6/7 goals in the remaining 69 games for example. That for a "promising" striker simply isn't very good.

Played out of position. As I've already proven with the stats you mentioned when he was played as a CF he was impressive. Stats can be misleading when you don't add context.

Moses putting that stat is an example of a misleading stat.

Last edited:
can you post the text of that please
Dismissal
Welbeck? Hahaha good one!

Shock
Oh god you're serious!

Denial
No god no please not Welbeck. He's terrible and he has an awful haircut!

Pain
We reeeeally need a good striker. This will kill us!

Anger
FFS Wenger! Why the hell were you in Rome and not back here getting Cavani!

Depression
Oh god, we are going to score literally no goals this season.

Bargaining
Hang on...we could still...if we...how long is that extension?

The upwards turn
And....Welbeck's goal to game ratio isn't that bad,

Reconstruction
He did score that backheel for England in Euro 2012. And his hair isn't that bad.

Working through
He could do ok as the man up top, with Sanchez off him now I think about it.

Acceptance
We might actually be ok....and he can't be worse than Sanogo.

Confidence
We're gonna definitely at least get fourth.

I wonder if this changes anybodies opinions off him.

If he has a gripe with the current management fair enough, but the fans have always stood by him and supported him despite him not reaching his potential, he should at least acknowledge us.

Our official website's probably the best I've seen out of all the club sites I've seen.

There should be a trophy for that.

You had been at Manchester United for most of your life, so it must have been difficult to leave...

Things move on in life and I think you've really got to make the right decision in the situation that you're in at that moment in time. I really do believe that coming to Arsenal is the right decision.

i think some of the guys on here should do the same now. Obviously he moved forward, probably knew for months that he would leave.

Yeah, he should've said " I don't want to say anything about scoring goals until I score a ton of them, so please refrain from asking me leading questions"

I still maintain his scoring last season was a purple patch, nothing more.

I'd have no confidence in him whatsoever to maintain a scoring rate to get 20-25 goals a season.

Also the bit about running onto balls in behind the defence. He never does that.

Nor does he ever properly open the taps and make the most of his pace.

The stat I was referring to is that he had the 4th best goals to mins ratio in league last season excluding pens. For a team who struggled to create chance that's a good return. That to me represents a good improvement.

Tony Adams: "Arsenal can't beat #mufc to a top signing & have to make do with their cast offs. That says a lot."

edit : shit ..maybe its fake

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140903/video-danny-welbeck-s-first-interview

No thanks or praise for United, doesn't seem to be bothered about leaving.
It's an Interview on the Arsenal website intended to be read by mainly Arsenal fans. He's hardly going to spend a lot of time eulogising about the club who've just let him go. You see the same thing in the Daley Blind quotes after joining United. Guy clearly loves Ajax and, unlike Welbeck, has no reason to feel any resentment towards the club yet he only mentions Ajax about once.

Just to let you all know, I'm reading the latest UWS here, and it says the following:

Fellaini, Nani, Anderson, Hernandez were top of LVG's list to be gotten rid of, and that Danny Welbeck might be shown the door also unless he "upped his game"

Read what you want into that

Tony Adams: "Arsenal can't beat #mufc to a top signing & have to make do with their cast offs. That says a lot."

Bit harsh on Danny but it's true.. he was our fourth choice, he is Arsenal's first.. that speaks volumes.

:lol: There's no doubt we could've beaten you to Falcao, Wenger had no intention of destroying his wage structure and getting into bed with Mendes.

Falcao's a good player, but he's also a mercenary. Don't delude yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.