Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is weird b/c Chelsea fans were saying the same thing about Sturridge after his move to liverpool. It only took 4-5 games in a liverpool shirt for fans to realize the grave mistake the club had made.

RvP missed 15 games last season through injury. He scored 11 goals as a CF in 17 starts last season, compared to Dannys 7 goals in 10 starts. (RVP played 500 more mins than Danny). Ultimately it comes down to whether you think the signing of Falcao and therefore the selling of Danny is necessary when we still have obvious flaws in other areas of the squad.

We'll get to see what Danny has in his locker now at Arsenal because he will be given a chance to start more games in his best position. Just think many of us think/know that we'll have egg on our faces by the end of the season when Dannys had a stormer. It's not that we think he's Ronaldo or Messi, but simply that he looked ready to up his game to the next level and become that 20/25 goal season striker. It's frustration more than anything.

Look at a post in this same page RS, there's someone saying Welbeck is a Muller-esque player. We signed Berbatov when we had Tevez, Ronaldo and Rooney. We've not signed a midfield player since god knows when, we signed Vidic and Evra when we thought our defence was set for the next 5 years. We'll just have to trust Van Gaal on this .I guess time will tell but there's also the possibility that Welbeck will continue to maintain his United form and not look the 20/25 goal season. You believe that 'if played through the center, he scored 7 goals', but I'm not sure if he'll get that with Arsenal either.

The same thing happened to Rooney when Ronaldo left United. He was finally free of the Ronaldo shackles and raised his game and scored a bucket load more goals. Welbeck was in a similar position, being shunted out on the wing, same happened for England. When he was played as a CF however, he scored goals and assisted. Not every player develops at the same speed, he was utilised during the Sir Alex years as a hard working asset (very much the same role Rooney had when Ronnie was in the team, to help balance the team).

I think you're wrong for what it's worth. But again, as I said previously, we'll have to wait and see before we know who's right. I just know for the record that you're horribly wrong. This is my pet annoyance with fans, they can't see the difference with a player being utilised in their best position and being utilised elsewhere, they just bundle all of it together and rate them as a player based on all performances ignoring what role they were playing as.

It's a higher risk letting go of Van Persie thinking that Welbeck may come good, Van Persie is a proven player and he'll get you goals. As you said, we'll have to see how this works.

On the farewell message, for all we know his employers have asked him not to issue one. He isn't obliged. We definitely need to move on here, he's just another dainty soft Gooner now.

Really? On form Rooney, possibly. But he hasn't been on form for us since 2010.

It's not so much with what Welbeck had done, it was his potential which we didn't get the chance to utilise fully that pisses me off the most. He is the closest thing to a Muller/Ronaldo universal attacker that England has produced in the last 20 or so years. Nowhere else in England, is there a player of similar age who has the tactical intelligence and versatility to play a variety of roles, allied to a strong workrate as Danny Welbeck. All the kid needed was a chance. We largely played him in a system where he couldn't roam and interchange and played him from on the left, so he was double-fecked in that regard.

Playing in the free-roaming system that Arsenal have with Sanchez, Ramsey, and Ozil behind him, he will absolutely thrive, and it is what we should have been doing ever since Moyes was binned.
I have no idea why we are playing with such a regimented system as 3-5-2 when the last two seasons have shown that such a philosophy will not work for the players we have, and LVG in the past has always relied on interchange, movement and pace in attack.

Wilson, as good as he is, isn't the same player as Welbeck. He is a pure 9 and nothing else. Yes, he has a decent all-round game, but it's nothing like Welbeck's. For instance, you would never ask Wilson to do a man-marking job on Alonso.
Also, the strikers we now have at our disposal are all very similar, Wilson included. They don't have the adaptability to interchange position in a fluid system which would help in relieving the pressure on the midfield. Welbeck was the only one who could. Rooney used to be able to, but hasn't since 2009, and judging from his performances for both club and country since, doesn't look like he either has the need or want, to perform in such a manner anymore...

In a word, we fecked up big time in selling Welbeck both in the short and medium to long-term....

Couldn't have said this better myself.

In other words, apart from the scoring part, he is the ideal type of player up front and we have seen him started improving his finishing last season too, which is a shame we letting him go now.

Personally, if it was me, I'd have sold Rooney when Chelsea came knocking last summer. He is the one player who did not fit. Kagawa was a better 10 and RVP was a better striker. That way, we would not have had this clusterfeck of an issue, and we would have had funds to actually balance the squad.

A 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, with fluid interchange a la our 2006-8 teams, would have been ideal. Welbeck would have had the perfect opportunity to play centrally either as the 1, or as part of the 3 in behind.
It's not so much a case of keeping Welbeck and playing to his strengths, but keeping Welbeck and having a tactical setup which benefited the team as a whole. We now have the players to have a 4-3-3 at the very least, and in such a set up, Welbeck would have been fine.

Also, the age profile of the strikers we now have means that we will be having a huge outlay in the medium to short term, replacing 3 strikers when if Welbeck had stayed, we'd have only been replacing one. All three are seemingly very similar also. Welbeck was the only one who was different and had a rounded enough game to play the role differently.

On Wilson, I can only judge on what I've seen, and what I've seen so far, is a player with a very rounded game for a Striker, but in essence, that is what he is: a Striker. Welbeck at the age of 15 was running the show at RW for our U18s in the FAYC. He was starring as a no.10 in our reserves and supplying Macheda, then went to Sunderland and played off the LW in a front three with Gyan and Bent. Comes back to Utd and was very promising as a striker in a partnership with Rooney, indeed, along with Saha, the only two partnerships where both Rooney and his strike partner thrived.
Can Wilson say he has played such a varied amount of roles? At most, he can say he had a decent stint at LW for the U18s, but once he moved to CF, that was it.

Agree with you but the problem is that we needed to replace a manager who has been here for 26 years. Moyes came in and he understandably didn't want to sell his most influential player and sucked up to him (to an extent). You can't really fault him for not being brave enough to sell to Chelsea.

Then we sacked Moyes and got in LVG who also needs to prove his worth to the board in the short term to be able to improve his job stability. You can't blame him for not thinking long term either. Bottomline is that the moment we got a foreign manager we should have known that things are going to change. Somehow I believe us fans are still living in autopilot mode under Fergie's stewardship. Things will change, some for the better and some not so but change will happen now that we have burnt our fingers and realized that replicating Fergie's model isn't possible without him.

On the farewell message, for all we know his employers have asked him not to issue one. He isn't obliged. We definitely need to move on here, he's just another dainty soft Gooner now.

He is already injured apparently, according to Hodgson...

But if Danny played on the wing or upfront that doesn't magically change his ability to finish chances or be more dangerous in the box, in both roles he's always let down in a goal scoring situation. He will run all day, he's got pace and his link up play is decent but one thing I can't ever see him being is a top scorer unless Arsenal are creating him about 5 chances a game because he will miss 4 of them.

Maybe not this season because Giroud is injured but I bet he gets shifted out on the wing before long, he will play the role Chamberlain or Walcott do, funny enough the latter wants to be a #9 as well but hes in the same situation.

Well it does. Playing on the wing is very different to playing up front as a CF. Playing on the wing you have defensive responsibilities and generally you fatigue faster as you're covering more ground. It's also a confidence issue, being played in a position you don't like, rather than being in a position you love. Just look at last seasons stats comparison I did earlier based on his positions, it's clear as day. He's just shit at playing wide, something that a majority of us have said for ages!

Thought it'd be interesting to check the stats when he was a CF and compare the Shots, Shots On Goal ratio. I have no idea how this compares to other strikers without checking. But the ratio is:

10 starts
28 shots
14 on target
7 goals
50% chance a shot is on target
25% when he takes a shot that he'll score
50% when he takes a shot and it's on target that he'll score

If you count sub appearances it changes to:

13 apps
32 shots
15 on target
8 goals
46.9% chance a shot is on target
25% when he takes a shot that he'll score
53.3% when he takes a shot and it's on target that he'll score

Quite possibly. When a player moves to a rival club, the fans of his new team are unlikely to want to hear how United will always be a part of him etc. etc.

I think us fans, including myself will move on but I don't see there being an issue with sentimentality for a while anyway. It's probably annoying to some but me being upset about Welbeck leaving doesn't change anything. I'm sad to see him go, I hope he does well personally but I'm also sure that soon enough I won't be upset about it.

Updated the below with Shots and Shots on Target. If I felt really mean i'd have removed the two appearances he made as a secondary striker just to illustrate how awful he is as a left winger/forward. 5 starts, 10 appearances and only 1 win, 0 goals and 1 assist, with a 25% shot is on target and 0& shot on target is a goal.

welbeck_cf.jpg

welbeck_other.jpg

Anyway, that's my last post in here for a while. Good luck Danny, wish you well. :(

Only 4 times did he get more than a half in there.

3 if you discount the Norwich Away game as he was playing Secondary Striker that day. Putting it simply Eboobies, tell Mr.Wenger that Welbeck on the left is about as wise as putting say... Gareth Bale as a left back.

Dannys conversion rate of 25% is pretty brilliant actually. If you count the two games he played as a Secondary Striker then it rises to 26.5%.

*shots/shots on target data was taken from WhoScored (I went through each game to check his stats).

Bit funny when you consider caftards are harping on about him needing to improve his finishing. His finishing is actually pretty damn good (much better than Rooneys conversion rate even if you include Welbecks awful Left Winger/Forward stats).

Last edited:
It's sad to see a Red born and bred go, especially a lad with Danny's potential. Thank you Danny for upholding the United tradition of giving your all under trying circumstances. Danny Wellbeck can hold his head up as he did what United asked him and more when he was a Red Devil.

I don't understand people knocking him for going to Arsenal. He has to take his chance while the window is open and he is clearly a lad of ambition. He made a great choice to go to a club with a manager who despite his different background and style is still surprisingly similar to Sir Alex Ferguson. Danny couldn't get a better manager at a new club - Arsene Wenger will look after him and help him take that next step up.

I don't blame Danny or Louis Van Gaal for anything. Both have interests to look out for - Louis for all the squad and Danny for his future. And who knows? Given how strange football is we might be welcoming Danny back here in the future.

Go for it Danny.

Good stat work :). Enjoyed reading that.

I wish he was still here :(

Why didn't he release a farewell letter?
Busy with England, hasn't do any press conference and interview. No media access like Twitter and Facebook. So he can't release it if he doesn't even have a chance to do it.

He's going to thrive at Arsenal. Expecting big things from him, all the best Welbz

The new Henry of Arsenal. Sickening. Phelan was right and im sure Fergie agrees with him in silence.

Stop overrating him, you plonkers. He might as well be the new Jay Simpson for all any of us know about him with this Arsenal side.

Good acquisition, underwhelming window tactically.

He's perfect for the quick movement and one-touch passing at Arsenal, that much has been obvious from his time at United. He's also a physical beast who couldn't be better suited to the Premier League. I think even his greatest detractors will admit to that. The only question marks are over his goalscoring ability.

The new Henry of Arsenal. Sickening. Phelan was right and im sure Fergie agrees with him in silence.
:lol: not half the player Henry was. A joke of a comparison. If he was that good we'd have sold both our big two to make way.

Stop overrating him, you plonkers. He might as well be the new Jay Simpson for all any of us know about him with this Arsenal side.

Good acquisition, underwhelming window tactically.
It's probably your best team in a long time?

It could well be, and expecting players to hit the ground running is a bit much. I do feel that Wenger still has to figure out the best shape for this team.

With Welbeck, our options improve quite significantly. I like the fact that the lads a trier, and a quality one at that.

It could well be, and expecting players to hit the ground running is a bit much. I do feel that Wenger still has to figure out the best shape for this team.

With Welbeck, our options improve quite significantly. I like the fact that the lads a trier, and a quality one at that.
It's definitely best team on paper. Our so called stars have been shit so far. If Ramsey and Ozil hit form, and Walcott hits the ground running we'll be terrific. Right now they all look like they have inner ear infections.

I'm going to go ahead and suggest we wont regret this.

I will be happy enough pointing out doing questionable things, like selling him to a rival was. I'm not one to sugar coat things when we make a mistake.

But I think selling Welbeck is as simple as this :

Falcao means we can win something in the next couple of years, with the best striker in the world for sniffing out goals

Meanwhile Wilson gets some games, instead of being stuck behind Hernandez and Welbeck wanting gametime

Sometimes you have to lose a good player to get a great player. We did that with Falcao and Welbeck, but we might also get a 2nd great player in Wilson because of this.

Welbeck was just never going to get there, he's capable of being a really good player but he was never going to be one of the best strikers in the world. James Wilson has that potential and with Van Persie's injury record and age of 31, there's a good chance of him getting in there over the next couple of years particularly next year and beyond when we're playing in europe again.

So Welbeck probably will add a few more goals to his game and do well as a striker for Arsenal
But we get at least 1, probably 2 better strikers out of it

I'm going to go ahead and suggest we wont regret this.

I will be happy enough pointing out doing questionable things, like selling him to a rival was. I'm not one to sugar coat things when we make a mistake.

But I think selling Welbeck is as simple as this :

Falcao means we can win something in the next couple of years, with the best striker in the world for sniffing out goals

Meanwhile Wilson gets some games, instead of being stuck behind Hernandez and Welbeck wanting gametime

Sometimes you have to lose a good player to get a great player. We did that with Falcao and Welbeck, but we might also get a 2nd great player in Wilson because of this.

Welbeck was just never going to get there, he's capable of being a really good player but he was never going to be one of the best strikers in the world. James Wilson has that potential and with Van Persie's injury record and age of 31, there's a good chance of him getting in there over the next couple of years particularly next year and beyond when we're playing in europe again.

So Welbeck probably will add a few more goals to his game and do well as a striker for Arsenal
But we get at least 1, probably 2 better strikers out of it
Solid logic there and I completely agree with you. People are disappointed over losing Welbeck but I'm extremely excited about Wilson. Then of course there is this guy called Falcao who came in.

Solid logic there and I completely agree with you. People are disappointed over losing Welbeck but I'm extremely excited about Wilson. Then of course there is this guy called Falcao who came in.

Another thing that sometimes gets overlooked is that young players are eager to learn and Wilson can now learn traits and habits from Falcao, Van Persie and Rooney

Hows that for an education? If he can learn a couple of things from each player he can go right to the top

Another thing that sometimes gets overlooked is that young players are eager to learn and Wilson can now learn traits and habits from Falcao, Van Persie and Rooney

Hows that for an education? If he can learn a couple of things from each player he can go right to the top
Precisely. Its clear as hell to me that LvG has chosen Wilson over Welbeck. Not Falcao over Welbeck, which is what the emotional ones here have deduced.

All things considered I'm happy with this. RyRoc (a Gooner) summed it up perfectly earlier in the thread:

I agree with everything he said. He's the type of forward that will fit seamlessly into the side, he has strong link-up play like Giroud and can hold the ball up. What he has over Giroud however is that pace and therfore he can be a outlet for the likes of Ozil and Cazorla. Welbeck can make runs that Giroud simply cannot.

Our biggest issue in a attacking sense is a stagnant forward like, but with players like Welbeck, Ox, Walcott, Sanchez and even Campbell and Gnabry we will have genuine speed when we attack.

Plus he's British too, so now we have a core of players that I don't see wanting to move in the future (unless of course the likes of Barca or Real come in for them). I wonder what Alan Pardieu has to say about this.
Thanks for the feedback and I think that does sum up what a lot of us are thinking as well.

Arsenal doesn't need a "poacher" as much as they need someone to share the burden of goals and just essentially, provide that platform to bring the others into play with. Welbeck is essentially all those, in a nutshell.

It hurt to lose him, especially to a rival but I think the way we've been playing has never brought the best out of Welbeck, hence he hasn't really developed to his full potential IMO. It's a similar situation to Kagawa (and a lot of posters might disagree with me here) but our football just doesn't suit these kinds of players, and Arsenal's (even Liverpool's atm) does.

I think there's a little disappointment with losing Welbeck because we thought LvG and his philosophy might "change" things. i.e. well become a hard pressing, ball possession and constantly moving team. I'm confident that is part of LvG's philosophy - which will take time to implement. But by the time we're at that level, I think Welbeck might have been one of our better forwards to fit into such a system.

But yeah, wish the lad well. Can't begrudge him the move. Obviously also can't wish Arsenal too well ;)

His stats over 5 years are irrelevant. Players can change a lot over that time. He added some goals to his game last season. His ratio was actually very good as the stats show. The fact that people didn't cop onto this improvement is more down to lazy analysis than any fault of his. Once a tag is attached to a player it's often difficult to shake off. Especially when not given a run of games to do it.

I think he's a cracking player and will be excellent for Arsenal. I would have much preferred to see them struggle with Sanogo for 4 months but clearly you feel different.

He scored 12 goals in his last 79 appearances. Stats may not prove he wasn't up to it, but they were not 'very good'.

Status
Not open for further replies.