Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will bite United in the bum in about 3 or 4 years time, similar to the way we thought Sturridge was average so decided to sell him to a rival. He has talent but never felt hes been much cop at United, he clearly has got it though as he has shown for England of all places.

When he has shown for England?

Lots of English fans at the World Cup wanted him out the team for Lallana.

I dunno, do you see Sturridge firing Liverpool to the title? I don't. Costa and Drogba both much better centre-forwards.

I saw him fire Liverpool to within a Steven Gerrard feck up of one last season. Costa and Drogba are both superior but Sturridge is still one of the leagues top strikers now.

When he has shown for England?

Lots of English fans at the World Cup wanted him out the team for Lallana.

Hes scored well for England and put in good performances overall, maybe not so much in 2014 but i've seen enough of him for England to know he has some potential, I just couldnt see him doing it for United. Its not so much you losing him, as a rival gaining him. Its pretty much how I saw the Mata thing before it seems to have turned out hes not been great for this United set up either.

Aye, Rooney's much the better player but there's an element of the unknown in predicting where Welbeck goes from here. I can see him going on to great things but I might be just being a bit too negative about this whole thing. This muppet spending frenzy sits uneasily with me and I'm inclined to look for the bad in what's happened. Not entirely sure why.

For the record, I would be delighted if we signed him for 16m. When was the last time we signed a talented English prospect who had played as many top flight games as he has at such a young age? You'd have to probably go all the way back to Carrick. It does worry me that we're losing a lot of the British/Irish member of our squad in recent years. I think that's significant for a club with our history/heritage.

I always felt Rooney would be amazing, I lost that about Welbeck fairly quickly. Carrick is an intersting one, I always wanted him.

I don't see the frenzy as being that bad, for me it's logical. Apart from the obvious mismanagment of the balance of the squad and a few below par purchases the post Fergie thing is very real and the one or two marquee signings we obvioulsy missed last year before the exodus has made this season a mess. More inorganic in timing than a new departure for me.

I know its a hypothetical worst case scenario but if Welbeck does massively improve to his potential at Arsenal helps them secure top four and United miss out on it then Falcao turns out not to be at his best anymore post injury and/or moves on at the end of the season it could all end up being a total clusterfeck. Im with the ones saying RVP should have been moved on, hes getting older fast, doesn't seem to have his heart in United after SAF and needs surgery.

That's the point though. Even if Welbeck improves at Arsenal and fulfils his potential (which I think he will), it doesnt mean he'd have done the same here because unlike at Arsenal, he wasnt going to be 1st choice here regardless of whether we signed Falcao. And moving on RVP to just have Rooney as Welbeck as strikers would be mental.

Also, I firmly believe Welbeck was leaving anyways this season, regardless of whether we signed Falcao, its been coming for a while now. Only way I could have seen him stay is if we sold RVP and got no one in, and that'd have been ridiculous.

I know its a hypothetical worst case scenario but if Welbeck does massively improve to his potential at Arsenal helps them secure top four and United miss out on it then Falcao turns out not to be at his best anymore post injury and/or moves on at the end of the season it could all end up being a total clusterfeck. Im with the ones saying RVP should have been moved on, hes getting older fast, doesn't seem to have his heart in United after SAF and needs surgery.
don't agree with his transfer. but isn't that just over-thinking? we just have to live with this transfer however it turns out.
maybe get him back cheekily later on.

I saw him fire Liverpool to within a Steven Gerrard feck up of one last season. Costa and Drogba are both superior but Sturridge is still one of the leagues top strikers now.
Nah, you saw Suarez fire Liverpool to within a slip of the title. Lets see how Sturridge does with Lambert, but he isn't a top quality striker, like Welbeck. We'll continue to buy top quality strikers for big fees, as will Chelsea, as will City.

At £16 million I dont think there's even a slight chance of that. Why would Arsenal agree to that?

While he has the potential to be worth that fee if hes starting weekly and scoring often for Arsenal, they are mostly paying for that potential because he's not currently a £15 million+ striker. If we had some kind of buyback option you can expect Arsenal would have paid a fair bit less
Madrid put one on morata didn't they, and I think he went for a similar price. But yeah Arsenal would never agree to one anyway.

I think he will do well there. He's still clumsy as feck but he has all the other attributes to be a top player.

Isn't it ironic that Fergie kinda started his departure here? Effectively it was only a matter of time, before he leaves, when we signed RvP and broke up the good partnership between him and Rooney in 2011-12. He would've never gotten the time here to develop into the world class forward we all know he can and now probably will become. I wish him truly the best and United will regret the day they sold him.

Isn't it ironic that Fergie kinda started his departure here? Effectively it was only a matter of time, before he leaves, when we signed RvP and broke up the good partnership between him and Rooney in 2011-12. He would've never gotten the time here to develop into the world class forward we all know he can and now probably will become. I wish him truly the best and United will regret the day they sold him.

Nah.

Good young players dont fall by the wayside when their clubs bring in quality players. They elevate their game to win a spot in the team at the expense of the players brought in. Someone like Scholes playing too well for Veron to be picked instead of him.

Welbeck isn't someone who is going to reach the level to compete with the top strikers we have. He's not a Rooney, not an RVP and not a Falcao. He's still a good player who can do well at Arsenal, but he's not that

Putting it out there, but I don't think Welbeck will score against us when at Arsenal.

Worst thing you could possibly say! Dead cert they will dismantle you 4-2 now. Its pretty much written anyway, I wrote in the matchday thread that one of our ex strikers had to score against us on Saturday evening, thats why I was so concerned when it was 2-3 and neither had scored!

Nah.

Good young players dont fall by the wayside when their clubs bring in quality players. They elevate their game to win a spot in the team at the expense of the players brought in. Someone like Scholes playing too well for Veron to be picked instead of him.

Welbeck isn't someone who is going to reach the level to compete with the top strikers we have. He's not a Rooney, not an RVP and not a Falcao. He's still a good player who can do well at Arsenal, but he's not that

Yeah, I bet most said that about Sturridge too, before he left for Liverpool. Strikers are just a different breed of players than any other position. They need that confidence and playing time to proper develop. When he lead the line last year, his record was outstanding and he played great football too. Scholes was already one of the best, when Veron came in, so you can't compare that.

Maybe his goalscoring record will never be that great (although I fully expect him to become atleast a 20 goals per season striker) but he could very well be their Benzema, in they he makes them tick and let Sanchez/Walcott/Özil run riot. Some seem to have really forgotten just how good Welbeck is and how much better we've looked with him on the pitch.

Christ that is going to take some getting used to. As much as I dislike Arsenal I just cannot begrudge him for moving there. I wish you all the very best Danny (except for when you play against us of course)

£16 million is a good fee for him but I much would've preferred a loan move, I just get the feeling he will come good there. He's a very good footballer it's just his goal scoring record was very poor and let him down.

I don't think I've felt this gutted/sad about a player being sold since Stam/Ronaldo.

Yeah, I bet most said that about Sturridge too, before he left for Liverpool. Strikers are just a different breed of players than any other position. They need that confidence and playing time to proper develop. When he lead the line last year, his record was outstanding and he played great football too. Scholes was already one of the best, when Veron came in, so you can't compare that.

Maybe his goalscoring record will never be that great (although I fully expect him to become atleast a 20 goals per season striker) but he could very well be their Benzema, in they he makes them tick and let Sanchez/Walcott/Özil run riot. Some seem to have really forgotten just how good Welbeck is and how much better we've looked with him on the pitch.

Many of our fans won't appreciate what he brought to the squad until it's gone.

The grass is always greener and all that I suppose..

What do you base this on? Exactly the opposite of that happened at both Barcelona and Bayern Munich. They had issues while van Gaal was there but after a while they reaped rewards from his work, Bayern Treble winning side was built on players that van Gaal nurtured and he brought up certain Iniesta and Xavi at Barcelona before they sacked him.

Two players that would have come through under any sane manager on the planet. You can hardly give him credit for those two players, especially when at the time the Barcelona team was essentially no where. This is all retrospective waxing lyrical about Barca. They have only really become a truly successful side in the Messi era.

49401383.jpg

But honestly i dont begrudge him from wanting a move, theres your love for the club but when you know you wont get a fair crack at it you have to move. I think hes going to be a top player but he'll only get there if hes playing week in week out

Drogba is not better than Sturridge is.

Nah, you saw Suarez fire Liverpool to within a slip of the title. Lets see how Sturridge does with Lambert, but he isn't a top quality striker, like Welbeck. We'll continue to buy top quality strikers for big fees, as will Chelsea, as will City.

No, you saw an entire team fire us there. It wasn't down to two players.

What really makes me sad is that we have no more Barry Manilow fans left at the club :(

He really didnt and his record wasnt. It was a good scoring record when he played up front and he played okay, thats it.

RVP and Falcao were the best strikers in the world 12 months ago. Welbeck just isnt and wont ever be like that

I don't actually care fwiw. It's just a reminder of all that nonsense regarding van Persie two years ago and how it was the most talked about thing of the game.

Well RVP moved from Arsenal to United to win things having been Arsenal's and the league's best player.

Welbeck has moved on because we had 2-3 significantly better strikers after being just a good player for us. He just made a good move for himself to actually play

Its not the same thing at all

Nah.

Yes, some do. Footballers are people too and will react differently to being challenged. Some might become disillusioned, some will try too hard and thereby lose focus. Also you need to play in order to improve. That doesn't mean that their talent isn't worth nurturing. Isco has struggled since the arrival of Bale etc, would you so easily discard him too? I'm admittadly not old enough to talk about Veron and how his performances for us but from what I understand he was a major flop which probably helped Scholes in this example but either way Scholes was an exceptional talent.

Good on him, about time he went somewhere where he can play as a Striker week in week out and prove himself.

Drogba is not better than Sturridge is.

No, you saw an entire team fire us there. It wasn't down to two players.

You are referring to currently right? Because if not thats massively deluded, and Im here backing Sturridge up!

My father is a Arsenal fan and he is not happy at this. He also said he was afraid Falcao will be for us what Drogba was for Chelsea and that he could be unstoppable up front for us. First time he has feared us in a while, good that things are getting back to normal :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.